Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Playing through the DB quest for the first time I hated babette and was annoyed she remained afterwards

Also I remember playing Dawnguard siding with the vampires and one of the options when her father confronts you is like "I would never do that to Serana" and holy poo poo they really expected me to connect with this character way more than I did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't understand why Bethesda insists on having kids in their games and then making them the most insufferable kids ever.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
honestly anyone that buys a Bethesda game at this point in time deserves to be trolled by them :smug:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't understand why Bethesda insists on having kids in their games and then making them the most insufferable kids ever.

I like to imagine it's them trolling the weirdos who complained about not being allowed to murder children in their games.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Guy Mann posted:

I like to imagine it's them trolling the weirdos who complained about not being allowed to murder children in their games.

I'm 99% certain it is. The Horse Power Armor thing proves they're not above jabs like that, and there's no way Little Lamplight isn't a response to all the creeps freaking out about even a hypothetical lack of children to kill in the leadup to Fallout 3.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i am tim! posted:

I'm 99% certain it is. The Horse Power Armor thing proves they're not above jabs like that, and there's no way Little Lamplight isn't a response to all the creeps freaking out about even a hypothetical lack of children to kill in the leadup to Fallout 3.

Bethesda sure showed everyone when they made one of their first installments of their new line of bullshit overpriced DLC for Fallout 4 a reference to their first installment of bullshit overpriced DLC for Oblivion.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
And yet they keep combat voices in the game

https://youtu.be/5ybZ4uOt2Cs

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

gyrobot posted:

And yet they keep combat voices in the game

https://youtu.be/5ybZ4uOt2Cs

IIRC, there's even unique dialogue in Skyrim if you kill the little girl that's constantly bullying her sister.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

i am tim! posted:

Can't kill them without mods, but this is still vanilla:
https://clips.twitch.tv/SquareBloodyClipzPartyTime

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

What am I looking at here? It's a 20 second clip of him getting up on the catwalk in Little Lamplight, gasping, talking to the girl, then hitting a stealth boy. Then the clip ends.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

i am tim! posted:

What am I looking at here? It's a 20 second clip of him getting up on the catwalk in Little Lamplight, gasping, talking to the girl, then hitting a stealth boy. Then the clip ends.

You've been reading this topic too long, kids don't usually wear raider boob armor

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

:dogbutton: I most certainly have been reading this thread too long now.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
something something staring into the abyss etc.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Children 1) exist and 2) are actually annoying 99% of the time.

However, none of their game inclusions have been so annoying as to justify the fixation of murdering them.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 5, 2017

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Idk there's that one girl in Riverwood that sends thugs to kill you if you take her family's precious plates.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

But that's funny?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Munchables posted:

Idk there's that one girl in Riverwood that sends thugs to kill you if you take her family's precious plates.

Maybe don't go loving with Dorthe's family.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I think the thing with children in Bethesda games may be partly due to the fact that in Europe, you're not permitted to depict children being harmed in a video game. Fallout 1 and 2 had children in it, and you could get the Child Killer trait if you attacked them. The UK releases of Fallout 1 & 2 were patched to 'remove' the kids, but in reality, it just made them invisible, which means they can still do stuff like pick you pockets and you wouldn't know why you lost an item.

The only other game that I think did something similar was Half-Life 2, where the plot point about the suppression field was conceived (:rimshot:) as a way to explain why there were no children running around Combine-occupied Earth.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Magmarashi posted:

Children 1) exist and 2) are actually annoying 99% of the time.

However, none of their game inclusions have been so annoying as to justify the fixation of murdering them.

Max Wilco posted:

I think the thing with children in Bethesda games may be partly due to the fact that in Europe, you're not permitted to depict children being harmed in a video game. Fallout 1 and 2 had children in it, and you could get the Child Killer trait if you attacked them. The UK releases of Fallout 1 & 2 were patched to 'remove' the kids, but in reality, it just made them invisible, which means they can still do stuff like pick you pockets and you wouldn't know why you lost an item.

The only other game that I think did something similar was Half-Life 2, where the plot point about the suppression field was conceived (:rimshot:) as a way to explain why there were no children running around Combine-occupied Earth.

Generally I'd guess that the reason people want to kill kids in games is probably the fact that it is somewhat annoying to be given 'freedom' in a sandbox game, and then having that freedom=fun logic derailed by arbitrary rules you don't necessarily agree with, because that breaks the illusion of freedom. Yes it is basically a "but my immersion!" complaint, but try to remember that people are irrational (despite the cognitive bias that makes them think they are being objective and rational) and negative emotional reactions are almost always very disproportionate to the cause, and in this case the immersion is the idea "this is a game that lets you do pretend to be whoever you want and do whatever you want for fun, so by playing it you are having fun!"

(e: even if the player didn't want to kill child NPCs, simply having the "NO YOU CAN'T KILL THAT" in a murderrific violence sandbox is annoying.)

What annoyed me in Fallout New Vegas was the fact that trying to enter VATS when there's a child in the same region, the UI glitches out because the game refuses to let you even try to target them; but the scripting tries to cycle through all available entities when you switch targets and there are several cases where you get ambushed by multiple enemies in an area with kids running around. But I didn't go looking for a killable children mod.

Apparently the fact they're immortal in FO3 wasn't enough? (They can be hurt, but when their HP hits 0 they just become 'unconscious' for a few seconds and get back up fully healed.)

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 5, 2017

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I wiped out little lamplight during my "depopulate the wasteland" run using that child killer mod and another one that removes everyone else's essential tag. Come to think of it that was my last run of FO3. Everyone in that game is insufferable.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

silentsnack posted:

Generally I'd guess that the reason people want to kill kids in games is probably the fact that it is somewhat annoying to be given 'freedom' in a sandbox game, and then having that freedom=fun logic derailed by arbitrary rules you don't necessarily agree with, because that breaks the illusion of freedom. Yes it is basically a "but my immersion!" complaint, but try to remember that people are irrational (despite the cognitive bias that makes them think they are being objective and rational) and negative emotional reactions are almost always very disproportionate to the cause, and in this case the immersion is the idea "this is a game that lets you do pretend to be whoever you want and do whatever you want for fun, so by playing it you are having fun!"

I think if your enjoyment of a game is being kneecapped by the fact that you can't murder children for being in it, you need to stop playing video games and talk to a professional.

(General you, not specific you)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

I think if your enjoyment of a game is being kneecapped by the fact that you can't murder children for being in it, you need to stop playing video games and talk to a professional.

(General you, not specific you)

And on the plus side, by being immortal, you can Fus Ro Dah them (and other essential NPCs now that I think about) across the map and they just get up and go about their business, which is hilarious.

I remember one video that was showcasing unarmed combat attacks (don't know if it was a mod or the vanilla game) where somebody in Whiterun says something annoying and the player suplexes them into the cobblestone, but they just get up and walk away.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

silentsnack posted:

What annoyed me in Fallout New Vegas was the fact that trying to enter VATS when there's a child in the same region, the UI glitches out because the game refuses to let you even try to target them; but the scripting tries to cycle through all available entities when you switch targets and there are several cases where you get ambushed by multiple enemies in an area with kids running around. But I didn't go looking for a killable children mod.

Apparently the fact they're immortal in FO3 wasn't enough? (They can be hurt, but when their HP hits 0 they just become 'unconscious' for a few seconds and get back up fully healed.)

Fallout 3's DLC took it a step farther too, there's a kid in Mothership Zeta who not only can't be killed, they can't be targeted in VATS, doesn't take health damage from any source, and simply does not even react to being shot or stabbed. Even blood decals don't appear on the little bastard, like it has no collision.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
A group of modders spent the last 9 years turning Goldeneye 64 into Goldfinger 64, completely replacing the campaign, maps, music, character models, and weapons. It will run on a real N64 too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVpEuTxXlQ

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Holy poo poo

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

pretty soft girl posted:

A group of modders spent the last 9 years turning Goldeneye 64 into Goldfinger 64, completely replacing the campaign, maps, music, character models, and weapons. It will run on a real N64 too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVpEuTxXlQ
Insanely impressive but unfortunately doesn't look that fun to actually play. Would probably be much better if they had condensed the maps about 200%. Super bloat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

Insanely impressive but unfortunately doesn't look that fun to actually play. Would probably be much better if they had condensed the maps about 200%. Super bloat.
Yeah, it's technically impressive, but the level design is pretty bad and it runs like a one-legged dog, even by Rare N64 FPS Standards.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Max Wilco posted:

I remember one video that was showcasing unarmed combat attacks (don't know if it was a mod or the vanilla game) where somebody in Whiterun says something annoying and the player suplexes them into the cobblestone, but they just get up and walk away.

Vanilla, but mods can add more animations or make them more frequent. Suplexes (and more unarmed kill-cam moves) is one of the things Bethesda added to Skyrim in a regular patch.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I especially reccomend The Dance of Death for more melee Skyrim madness.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I never have any mods. Just highlights.

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_ox67ujR5Cu1tib7ms_480.mp4#_=_

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Please share how people are modding a Nintendo Switch game, this is pretty awesome.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Memento posted:

Please share how people are modding a Nintendo Switch game, this is pretty awesome.

They're doing it on PC, I think. Wii-U emulation's coming along pretty well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mordja posted:

They're doing it on PC, I think. Wii-U emulation's coming along pretty well.

Speaking of!

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/919406379298721798

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's okay that the soundtrack is an after-effect, but I really hope those motion lines are part of the mod and not just the video.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's okay that the soundtrack is an after-effect, but I really hope those motion lines are part of the mod and not just the video.

Probably not. It's a very basic model replacement . The car even "jogs"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Please let me know when someone makes a mod to replace every character model in the upcoming Xenoblade game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom: The Indie Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbtfoa_yu-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ha ha, I actually made a video on those mods, too (though I didn't use PC Speaker Simulation or 8-bit blood mods).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9gdAimFZnk

Term's video showcases everything a lot better, though. I think the mistake I made was how I had GZDoom (as the Low-Res Doom textures came out really blurry), and some of the clips I used were pretty short.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 16, 2017