Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Pawn 17 posted:

Only the wokest will survive this!

Two woke enter one woke leaves!

WOKEDOME! WOKEDOME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i thought this had already come out? it was pretty clear after the fawning interview with sam hyde he did years ago which even i've seen

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Eventually somebody at Motherboard is just gonna go through Sam's youtube subscribers and shame every public internet figure they find

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

walgreenslatino posted:

Eventually somebody at Motherboard is just gonna go through Sam's youtube subscribers and shame every public internet figure they find

i'm as left as they come and i think i subbed to mde at one point. probably still am

i listened to that interview because i'd seen stuff like the 2070 paradigm shift vid and whatever... this is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgT4sjRiLAY) and thought the guy was funny as gently caress. i was kind of taken aback when it just turned into like an hour of hyde just uncritically praising trump and deepthroating alt-right talking points with fantano just nodding along in the background.

i don't think this 'revelation' really positively or negatively affects fantano's music criticism beyond a general 'this guy i'm watching is a bit of a stupid motherfucker politically' but i find comedy to be funnier when you're punching up, and it's hard to like hyde or find him funny what with him openly relishing punching down.

e: gently caress i just read the article and most of this is covered. and there's a sam hyde thread. gently caress

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 6, 2017

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
alt-right Nazi humor is always so tepid.

'ha ha kill jews it funy get it black people arent human ho ho ho'

There's no punchline because in place of the pleasure one gets from an actual joke is the boner a nazi gets from thinking about killing 'degenerate' races and peoples.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Spacedad posted:

There's no punchline because in place of the pleasure one gets from an actual joke is the boner a nazi gets from thinking about killing 'degenerate' races and peoples.

also triggering snowflake liberals, but not triggering them hard enough to get them fired and demonetized

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spacedad posted:

Fantano doesn't do this though

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This is the same dude who couldn't stop eating that dogshit Lemonade album right

you would have thought he was reviewing Bitches Brew or some poo poo, what a loving clown

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
is this another youtube personality? what the gently caress is wrong with you people that you would voluntarily waste your time watching them when you could be idly scanning the forums?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

the inside of his nostrils are the same eerily soft pink as his lips

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Generic Monk posted:

i'm as left as they come and i think i subbed to mde at one point. probably still am

i listened to that interview because i'd seen stuff like the 2070 paradigm shift vid and whatever... this is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgT4sjRiLAY) and thought the guy was funny as gently caress. i was kind of taken aback when it just turned into like an hour of hyde just uncritically praising trump and deepthroating alt-right talking points with fantano just nodding along in the background.

i don't think this 'revelation' really positively or negatively affects fantano's music criticism beyond a general 'this guy i'm watching is a bit of a stupid motherfucker politically' but i find comedy to be funnier when you're punching up, and it's hard to like hyde or find him funny what with him openly relishing punching down.

e: gently caress i just read the article and most of this is covered. and there's a sam hyde thread. gently caress

yeah I got you. I just think everything is getting a little out of control. it's outrage culture run amok and the explicit mission is to make the target lose their income. a mostly apolitical bernie sanders supporter just had his entire livelihood sicc'd, on purpose, for clicks, because he walked a little too close to the line on ironic jokes and internet memes.

https://twitter.com/theneedledrop/status/915242621580271616
it's not even really about things fantano said: it's about things he associated with too closely. one of the main charges against him personally is "he thinks the n word is funny." every niggerstomper58 reposter is culpable.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

many times in the sam hyde interview fantano says "I don't agree with your politics at all"

hes a self confessed bernie bro married to a black woman and has made a 15 minute video on why he refuses to say the n word

I dunno man he sounds like a nazi to me

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

many times in the sam hyde interview fantano says "I don't agree with your politics at all"

hes a self confessed bernie bro married to a black woman and has made a 15 minute video on why he refuses to say the n word

I dunno man he sounds like a nazi to me

He also made sure to put a disclaimer in front of the Sam Hyde podcast saying he didn't agree or stand by the things he said, especially with respect to the Lena Dunham comments. Funny how that didn't show up in the article

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I saw Goody Fantano with the Nazis. He and Tituba summoned the Pepe.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

tenspott posted:

I saw Goody Fantano with the Nazis. He and Tituba summoned the Pepe.

We worship Bernie in this House!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

someone with a lot of time on their hands finally did it and compiled the supercut of fandangos politics

https://www.reddit.com/r/theneedledrop/comments/74ia06/fantano_altright_confirmed/

bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1a45kPXXG4

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Before you discuss the history and nature of a meme belonging to the real nigga hours family, ask yourself: "am I of sufficient melanin?"

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Why he look like reviewbrah after a pickin up gear and a planet fitness membership?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

walgreenslatino posted:

yeah I got you. I just think everything is getting a little out of control. it's outrage culture run amok and the explicit mission is to make the target lose their income. a mostly apolitical bernie sanders supporter just had his entire livelihood sicc'd, on purpose, for clicks, because he walked a little too close to the line on ironic jokes and internet memes.

wait wait wait nobody made anthony fantano lose his livelihood? where are you getting this from??

if ppl want to stop watching his videos because of The FADER's article, that's their business. nobody is making anybody do anything.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the black husserl posted:

wait wait wait nobody made anthony fantano lose his livelihood? where are you getting this from??

if ppl want to stop watching his videos because of The FADER's article, that's their business. nobody is making anybody do anything.

he had 10 live shows setup, all 10 cancelled explicitly because of political reasons

to say the article wasn't meant as a smear is insanely disingenuous my dude

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
lol if you watch his poo poo to begin with

those are the real victims

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I was never a fan of his, and the very concept of reviewing memes is enough to make me dislike someone, but he never came across as alt-right. If that reddit compilation is at all accurate it seems like a pretty obvious smear.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tao of lmao posted:

I was never a fan of his, and the very concept of reviewing memes is enough to make me dislike someone, but he never came across as alt-right. If that reddit compilation is at all accurate it seems like a pretty obvious smear.

They were jokes. It was all jokes

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

he had 10 live shows setup, all 10 cancelled explicitly because of political reasons

to say the article wasn't meant as a smear is insanely disingenuous my dude

the article was meant as a straight-up assassination. no doubt about it.

but nah bro, they didn't cancel those shows for "political reasons" they cancelled because those venues don't gently caress with fantano anymore, now that they learned he's a dumb edgelord. you can disagree with their reasons for doing so but nobody is making them do poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Triggered by the fact thefader thinks some YouTube scrub is the most famous music critic in a world where Piero Scaruffi exists.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

tao of lmao posted:

same

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

the needle drop guy has bad taste and is the same kind of cancer as pitchfork imo

so if he's also a nazi i really don't care

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Making your career out of a YouTube channel is not a rock solid path it turns out.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
anthony fantano looks like that fucken egg from the berserk anime on the body of a gay gym dad.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

I don't really understand how music reviews are a popular thing. In this golden age of the internet, it's so easy to discover music and listen to it for free. So why would you go to music reviews? And even for pop artists who have all their poo poo locked down, it's easy to find streaming songs or some other cheap/free way of listening to music. Why wouldn't you just listen to the music and decide for yourself whether you like it or not?

I suppose it could be useful for discovering new bands... but still, streaming services that actually play the music seem like they would be far more helpful than listening to some guy talk about music. Or maybe people don't actually want to listen to music, they just want to hear someone talk about it so they can be "in the know"? Idgi.

Disclaimer: I have maybe watched only one or two of this guys videos, some years ago

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Koldenblue posted:

I don't really understand how music reviews are a popular thing. In this golden age of the internet, it's so easy to discover music and listen to it for free. So why would you go to music reviews? And even for pop artists who have all their poo poo locked down, it's easy to find streaming songs or some other cheap/free way of listening to music. Why wouldn't you just listen to the music and decide for yourself whether you like it or not?

I suppose it could be useful for discovering new bands... but still, streaming services that actually play the music seem like they would be far more helpful than listening to some guy talk about music. Or maybe people don't actually want to listen to music, they just want to hear someone talk about it so they can be "in the know"? Idgi.

Disclaimer: I have maybe watched only one or two of this guys videos, some years ago

The most retarded thing are the "react" youtubers. I can understand a review even if it's not my thing personally, but why do millions of people watch people listening to songs without adding any insight. Why not just... listen to the song yourself??!

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
anthony fantano looks like that one british comedian who wont shut up about how huge his goddamn teeth are but with tiny mr magoo eyes.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
anhtony fanton looks like a baby who tied a belt around his neck real tight and a shot human growth hormone and high fructose corn syrup into his rear end for a decade.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
antoine fartonman looks like a racist ...
...a racist ww2 era cartoon of an imperial japanese soldier cruising for no strings attached frottage and assplay in a public bathroom.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Jose Mengelez posted:

antoine fartonman looks like a racist ...
...a racist ww2 era cartoon of an imperial japanese soldier cruising for no strings attached frottage and assplay in a public bathroom.

Lmao

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
andy franton looks like a sandblasted moai with a barely legible inscription that reads "look upon my vaporwave reviews ye mighty and despair"

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

His takedown of Paul Joseph Watson was pretty good.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
androgine fantomas looks like a 1970's wrestler wearing the creepy interrogation mask from the movie 'brazil' terrorizing his step son with a leather belt.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
aborigine phantoms looks like blaster from beyond thunderdome right before he gets nailed in the chest by a crossbow bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

this aged well, thank you accidental google image search for Anfonfee's smiling weird babby head:

https://twitter.com/theneedledrop/status/751173865028616192

• Locked thread