Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Cool, it works on the phone too. That might come in handy occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Huh, the instructions explicitly says it doesn't work on the phone. It seems like it would be a little too cumbersome to me on the phone since you have to say "Talk to OurGroceries" then do a call and response just add and remove items when you can open and tap so much quicker. For me, the draw was being able to just say it out loud in the moment I notice I'm out of whatever it is I need to add since I've got Homes loving everywhere.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I think the only time I'm likely to use it is while driving. It's just nice to have the option. I'm almost certain I'm not going to remember how to trigger it anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This is a fantastic example of Google going to Google. After a day of touting their machine leaning and AI, my Google news feed tells me my Pixel 2XL has shipped.

Only, it hasn't. It's just the order email. Google now failed at parsing their own email sent to their own email service about their own product.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lol ten minutes after I asked the Assistant to talk to OurGroceries I got a rewards survey asking if I've recently said "OK Google, talk to OurGroceries".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Huh, the instructions explicitly says it doesn't work on the phone. It seems like it would be a little too cumbersome to me on the phone since you have to say "Talk to OurGroceries" then do a call and response just add and remove items when you can open and tap so much quicker. For me, the draw was being able to just say it out loud in the moment I notice I'm out of whatever it is I need to add since I've got Homes loving everywhere.

This is why instead of using MyQ's Assistant integration on my phone, I use its IFTTT integration and set up an activation phrase.

It's easier to say "close the garage door" instead of "talk to MyQ" ...wait several seconds while it prattle In about what I can do with MyQ... "close Garage door".

Depending on their IFTTT integrations, that might work for OurGroceries.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah bull pointed this out in the cutting came thread when I was wavering on going to the Harmony Hub. That's pretty much impossible to use without IFTTT. OurGroceries, however, works really well with the "Talk to..." flow. It uses a different voice and parses things step by step. I wouldn't want to use it to manage the list (though you can) but for quickly adding things to or removing things from the list it's quite painless.

The Home app now has IFTTT-like shortcuts built in but I doubt they work with third party apps plus I really hate trigger phrases compared to natural language input.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Random thought: do cards saved for use in Android Pay require re-adding/re-authorising/basically any fiddling whatever when moving to new hardware?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I had one that popped up right after watching an LP video on YouTube (Men Drinkin Coffee) asking me if the video I had just watched would be a good recommendation. Part of why it's startling I think is the immediacy; I had just finished watching that video, but also the idea that a computer/database somewhere could react within seconds of you doing a (in your mind) relatively disconnected activity.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

spincube posted:

Random thought: do cards saved for use in Android Pay require re-adding/re-authorising/basically any fiddling whatever when moving to new hardware?
Two of mine, the two easiest to initially set up, did need to be restored in some way, forget exactly but they were painless. Third wanted me to do an actual talk to a person phone call again like the first time and I just didn't bother.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Scaramouche posted:

I had one that popped up right after watching an LP video on YouTube (Men Drinkin Coffee) asking me if the video I had just watched would be a good recommendation. Part of why it's startling I think is the immediacy; I had just finished watching that video, but also the idea that a computer/database somewhere could react within seconds of you doing a (in your mind) relatively disconnected activity.

I've only ever had that happen on videos I've closed within a few seconds of opening, it's odd

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

spincube posted:

Yes.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Timely on my S7 has stopped playing alarms in the morning until after I unlock the phone (Had my 6:15 alarm play at 6:42 for example). Is this a bug with the app or am I getting Samsunged? Also, is Timely still the goto alarm app?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Do you have it in your Unmonitored Apps in Battery aka excluded from Doze?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

CascadeBeta posted:

Timely on my S7 has stopped playing alarms in the morning until after I unlock the phone (Had my 6:15 alarm play at 6:42 for example). Is this a bug with the app or am I getting Samsunged? Also, is Timely still the goto alarm app?

Timely stopped working for me as well. I use Google's default application. My Timely would set alarms and timers incorrectly when I used Assistant.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Timely stopped doing the pre-alarm when I got my Pixel, but with the latest patch to Android O it's been working again. It's worked flawlessly for me otherwise.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I switched from Timely to AMdroid a while ago and haven't looked back. It's got everything (the latest update added a history page so you can see when the alarm rang and how long you took to disable it) and is just sweet as hell. Despite the horrible name, I love it.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
So I use Spotify for my commute, and I've been trying in vain to share a track from a large playlist and Spotify keeps making GBS threads the bed and crashing. Anyone else been experiencing this, pixel xl on oreo.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

I switched from Timely to AMdroid a while ago and haven't looked back. It's got everything (the latest update added a history page so you can see when the alarm rang and how long you took to disable it) and is just sweet as hell. Despite the horrible name, I love it.
Yeah, I'm using that as well after having used Gentle Alarm for a lifetime and trying out Timely for a short while.
While I Can't Wake Up, linked in the OP, sounds interesting, I really enjoy the look of AMdroid, and the spelling puzzle is just fine for me when I'm trying to wake up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

Yeah, I'm using that as well after having used Gentle Alarm for a lifetime and trying out Timely for a short while.
While I Can't Wake Up, linked in the OP, sounds interesting, I really enjoy the look of AMdroid, and the spelling puzzle is just fine for me when I'm trying to wake up.

Gentle Alarm > Timely > AMdroid was my progression as well. I could never give up pre-alarms, which is actually it turns out not so great. It's kind of like how after typing on a Microsoft Natural Elite for two decades I now can't type on straight keyboards. Both have become way more of a handicap than the problem they were designed to solve.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

ringu0 posted:

Ten minutes after googling the name "Frank Grimes" I received the creepiest survey:

Yes Google I have. You told me Frank Grimes is a "Simpsons" character. Can you possibly be any more creepy? Where is my quarter, and thanks.

I think I must have googled for the "Would you like to know more?" meme because I got this one a couple weeks ago.

It was a very :wtc: moment

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well, would you like to know more?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is there an app to stop me waking up 10 minutes before my alarm goes off

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yes, they're called "too much alcohol".

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm sticking with Timely for the foreseeable future. It works well for me, and I don't want challenges because I can't see for poo poo at the time my alarm goes off. So it would be more frustrating than anything because I'd have to either fumble for my glasses or just fumble through the challenge while my wife gets increasingly pissed off that my alarm is still going off.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

Is there an app to stop me waking up 10 minutes before my alarm goes off

You all should get on Skarsnik's and my level...I haven't used an alarm in years.

(unfortunately I think this means you have to get old)

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Question for Podcast Addict users: is there any way to make the unpause icon persist on the lock screen? I have to pause frequently to talk to people at work, and it'd be nice if I could resume without opening the phone.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I believe the answer is no because that stuff is determined by your phones RAM management on an OS level.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah, Incessant Excess is right. There's no reason the playback notification should disappear when it's paused unless the app is getting kicked out of memory.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any Android camera apps that do any of the whiz-bang photo modes that are abundant in the stock iOS photo app?

I've often wondered, does Apple hold a bunch of patents that prevents Google from doing cool presets like that in the stock Android camera app? Because if you compare the two it's no contest, iOS offers way more modes out of the box. I have a Pixel, surely its camera is capable of the same portrait modes, etc... at least from a hardware perspective?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

IAmKale posted:

Are there any Android camera apps that do any of the whiz-bang photo modes that are abundant in the stock iOS photo app?

I've often wondered, does Apple hold a bunch of patents that prevents Google from doing cool presets like that in the stock Android camera app? Because if you compare the two it's no contest, iOS offers way more modes out of the box. I have a Pixel, surely its camera is capable of the same portrait modes, etc... at least from a hardware perspective?

It's not a camera, but I've been dicking around with Google's Snapseed and it's pretty neat. It's a post-processing app with a shitload of presets and lots of other tools for manipulating photos.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Atahualpa posted:

Question for Podcast Addict users: is there any way to make the unpause icon persist on the lock screen? I have to pause frequently to talk to people at work, and it'd be nice if I could resume without opening the phone.

Strangely, I've never had this problem with PA. Are you hitting the X by accident? Try just unplugging your headphones briefly instead.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm not really sure if this is the right thread, but my work posts its schedule in the stupidest way possible. Each day they post each person who is working that day as an all day event with their name and their scheduled hours as the title. These are posted to different calendars based on department location.
Basically it spams the poo poo out of my phone with events whether I am working or not.

I'm wondering if there is a script I could run that would find my name and pull it to a different calendar in a sane format. This lunacy makes the calendar pretty much useless for personal use.
Another option is to just download some other calendar app, and use one for work and one for personal. The work one would still end up being spammed with everyone elses schedule and force me to use day view to see whether I work or not.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Google Drive definitely has some pretty robust scripting tools you can use to interact with the Calendar API. I'm phoneposting so I can't necessarily look it up right now, but with a little bit of googling I was recently able to create a Sheets spreadsheet of a workout schedule, autofill a date range, and generate a calendar. (It involves adding a custom menu & button to the spreadsheet to contain the script, but it's surprisingly easy to do.)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

IAmKale posted:

I assume it's a holdover from the 'we'll provide a basic functional experience and wait for ~developers~ to produce their own ~magical experiences~ in their own apps' Gingerbread era.

Strategy these days instead seems to be 'can we find a problem for AI to solve in it', hence the upcoming Google Lens 'you are looking at %famous_painting%, here's a wikipedia summary' poo poo.

I mean they can crowbar those stupid stickers into their messaging app, but the idea of slapping a few filters, frames, even those face effects from ICS (that they later removed because ?????) into the camera just escapes them. Madness.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IAmKale posted:

Portrait mode iPhone style requires dual cameras so only works on the Plus model iPhones. The new Pixel XL has a single camera mode but I don't know how well it works.

Anyway having had a 7 Plus for six months I can quite safely say the added mode (and it is portrait mode unless you count square as a mode) is a gimmick and I miss the camera from my old N6P.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Sir Lemming posted:

Google Drive definitely has some pretty robust scripting tools you can use to interact with the Calendar API. I'm phoneposting so I can't necessarily look it up right now, but with a little bit of googling I was recently able to create a Sheets spreadsheet of a workout schedule, autofill a date range, and generate a calendar. (It involves adding a custom menu & button to the spreadsheet to contain the script, but it's surprisingly easy to do.)

Seconded. If you're fairly decent with Javascript, it would probably be /fairly/ straightforward scan the events from one calendar, parse a time and date from the title, and post them to another calendar using the Google Apps Scripting, (which despite the name, works on any Google Account) I've been using the scripting to do calendar (and other) things for years.

Dealing with updates to calendar events on the source calendar will probably be a pain, though.

I've currently rigged up scripts that put descriptions and durations of current Severe Weather warnings to one of my calendars (somewhat useful, runs every 15 minutes),and Descriptions, release dates, and durations of several podcasts I listen to to a separate calendar.(more for fun, runs every hour)

I initially started having a script that would scrape Heavens Above once a day for International Space Station passes visible from my house and post them on a third calendar, but the IDE for Google Apps Scripts is not the best, and I wound up switching that over to another programming language three or four years ago.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've got to know, what's their reasoning for putting the times in the title instead of in the event? I love corporate logic so much and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy this.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I've got to know, what's their reasoning for putting the times in the title instead of in the event? I love corporate logic so much and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy this.

It looks like they are just writing it the same way you'd write it out on a sheet of paper. They are just clicking on the day in Calendar and writing out the whole thing in the Event input box, and because they are writing the time as "10-6" it's not parsing it as a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It looks like they are just writing it the same way you'd write it out on a sheet of paper. They are just clicking on the day in Calendar and writing out the whole thing in the Event input box, and because they are writing the time as "10-6" it's not parsing it as a time.

I know what they're doing, I want to hear the reason why. . Surely someone has pointed out to them by now that this is not how calendars work and like every company when a lower level employee points out that his boss is a retard, they made up some reason on the spot why they're right and this new, dumb employee talking to them about calendars is wrong.

That's the stuff I want to hear. I need that bullshit reason.