Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

TheAgent posted:

moon turned me gay, thanks chris roberts

agent gay, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

darkarchon posted:

Nothing screams fidelity like a seam on a moon.

It's just that Star Citizen is so revolutionary it's incorporating rorschach tests into gameplay.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Nobody here understands moonseam development.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly on the one hand yes, but on the other hand the "premature optimization" saying usually comes from the idea that if you're faced with a choice of "we have a finished application but the hardware isn't beefy enough to run it", versus "we have an optimized application but it's not done yet", one of those is a hell of a lot easier an issue to solve quickly by throwing money at it. A 12 player cap in an MMO isn't "well we just need to optimize" territory anymore, especially when that's the case on the best hardware money can buy on a LAN (at gamescon).

That said, the upshot is that we're all sitting on the shore, watching the Titanic sink and debating amongst ourselves what brush would have been better for applying stain to those deck chairs they're rearranging.

Yeah you honed right in on the broader point, which is their netcode tech/architecture doesn't have a cheesburger's chance in Ben's kitchen to support the kind of gameplay they want at scale. They've been vaguely implying that the netcode needs "refactoring" for literal years. In this case, what they mean is it needs to be completely stripped from the deepest, darkest depths of CryEngine and re-written from scratch, and the fact that they've been saying that for more than 3 years and haven't loving done it is evidence enough that they can't, and won't.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

Nobody here understands moonseam development.

It's what holds Ben's pants together

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
whens the next round of founder ships available, i want in on this

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

tuo posted:

Unironically, that would be the best use for all the assets. Scrap the whole MMO idea, gently caress netcode, take what you have, and make a good first person arcade space game out of it. With pretty graphics, stupid missions and cutscenes but much pewpew, get 6.5/10 average score. Allow backers to use the ships they bought from the very beginning, and just call it the MVP. I'm actually dumbfounded that they don't put much more emphasis on SQ42 to buy themselves some time and release something. The die-hard backers will be okay with at, as long as they get SOMETHING. The netcode no longer hinders them, they could salvage some of the mo-cap stuff, and could actually show REAL progress. It might even be semi-good...

Your assumptions will be your undoing.

The big-name mocap is useless.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

big nipples big life posted:

Do we have any idea how owned we are yet? The suspense is killing me.

take one completionists package, times it by two, with one ben's weight-worth of an exponent

hope this helps

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Are they loving insane?

darkarchon posted:

Nope, they're just bad.

Real bad.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Maybe it's just a fossil guys.

Maybe it's emergent exploration gameplay you guys.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

darkarchon posted:

I like how there are only craters on flat bits.
Asteroids don't hit mountains.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

happyhippy posted:

I like how there are only craters on flat bits.
Asteroids don't hit mountains.

An asteroid would just bounce right off those rock-hard abs.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

TheAgent posted:

moon turned me gay, thanks chris roberts
pounded in the butt by a handcrafted procedurally-generated moon with rock hard abs

by chuck tingle ryan archer

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

tuo posted:

player count reduced to 6 for "testing purposes". goddamn...

:lol:

Seriously, are you making this poo poo up? I can't see any solid info on ppl playing this thing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CrazyLoon posted:

Seriously, if anyone ITT is going to CitCon this year, please be careful. I know it's silly for me to :ohdear: about whatever loser whales might still go there to defend CIG being any kind of threat to a sane individual, but there's still an awful lot of them and the longer this shitshow goes on, the less likely they are to bathe. Please consider that at least.

Was going to go but I'm reconsidering now!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/914266339266711552
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/916417239192043520

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“big nipples big life”" post="“477120862”"]
I hope someone breaks the NDA soon so I can find out just how owned we are, it’s really stressful knowing you are owned but not how much.
[/quote]

I've prepared my self flagellation belt with extra salt. I'm ready to be owned and come crawling back to the masses. I too want to be amongst the 12s of players playing it in barely functional capacity.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

darkarchon posted:

Actually that's not a seam; whoever uploaded the image photoshopped it to get rid of a watermark

That's what citizens are telling themselves, anyway

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Jobbo_Fett”" post="“477119518”"]
How much are you willing to bet that “moons” are featureless flat planes with nothing notable about them?
[/quote]

Stop being so negative. The moons will be feature rich like a Crysis level, complete with hidden bases, crashed derelicts to pick through piece by piece with grabby hands, and sand worms waiting to pull you under their 4K textured surfaces.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I remember reading something about complex underwater caves and volcanoes....
It's all so fuzzy though in my memory, and I mean clearly moon abs beats all.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/916428115517345793

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

All of this news sure is something. Not exciting, but it's something.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

quote:

The September Monthly Report posts:

September was a great month for the Character Team as they created new concepts for the Persistent Universe and Squadron 42 characters which they are excited to start modeling this fall.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16158-Monthly-Studio-Report-September-2017

mlao

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Wrecked Angle”" post="“477123324”"]
Guys! Guys, guys... and Titanic

I’m about to break the stupid loving NDA wide open

Stand by...
[/quote]

Standing by!!! On pins and needles here!!!

Do I flagellate now, or rub now??? Which is the best option!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

The Titanic posted:

Standing by!!! On pins and needles here!!!

Do I flagellate now, or rub now??? Which is the best option!

Rub, but put on your hairshirt first

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Ursine Catastrophe”" post="“477123392”"]
That said, the upshot is that we’re all sitting on the shore, watching the Titanic sink and debating amongst ourselves what brush would have been better for applying stain to those deck chairs they’re rearranging.
[/quote]

:depressionIntensifies.gif:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bofast posted:

I read you more as the guy in Monty Python's Holy Grail that collects mud and complains about the violence inherent in the system.

Mods?? I'm being doxxed here!?

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Save us, Wiz; you're our only hope

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Monthly Studio Report: September 2017

More motion capture in LA or Austin.

quote:

DERBY ANIMATION
The Derby Studio was busy moving into the new studio! After spending four months split between two offices, they’re finally back together under one roof where there’s a lot more space.

The Motion Capture and HeadCam systems were set up to run tests with the Audio team, who came down from Wilmslow in preparation for an upcoming shoot. The team also completed a bunch of facial animation and polished cinematic facial animations.

Over the past month, the Animation Team created assets for the Alpha 3.0 release and beyond. They have been updating the placeholder animations for the Player stopping. The goal is to provide a higher visual fidelity and realism to how Players move within the new speed gearing system. Animators also worked on jumping. They needed to balance Star Citizen’s signature high-fidelity look with a manageable amount of assets for when the animation bank is extended to the female model and various stamina types. Plus, they worked on stealth takedowns.

In addition, they worked on developing daily routine and life animations for characters and mission givers. A recent shoot in the Austin office focused on these behaviors, which the Derby team is now tracking and solving. The animators also added more life to the Star Citizen world with conversations characters have as they go about their routines. Finally, on the ship side, the team delivered updates for the Sabre ship set and captured enter/exit animations for the new ground-based vehicles.

New Derby office mentioned.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“big nipples big life”" post="“477124132”"]
most of the backers don’t give a poo poo about sq42, they want the mmo so they can achieve their dream of mopping dicks on some whale’s ultra chariot or whatever
[/quote]

This is the ironic truth that Chris Roberts will eventually come to realize. Nobody gives a flip about his theatrical masterpiece. They all bought in and continue to buy ships because they want to play twitch shooter FPS game Eve except it's bigger and more fidelitous like the Matrix.

While backers completely ignore the fact it can't be done with the technology we have today, so too does Chris Roberts ignore that people funnel him money for their pipe dream, not his.

Eventually there will be a dream cascade crash, where CR simultaneously discovers the backers really wanted Star Citizen, not Squadron 42 with 80 hours of motion capture movies, and backers discover CRs big focus has been on motion capture and playing director and not the game he's been selling them.

You would image it would not be hard to figure out when 95% of everything they talk about is motion capture and animation related, and nothing on gameplay. We know how many dots they pot on Mark Hamills face, but gently caress all if anybody knows how trade will work.

You would imagine by now there would be a huge "now... hang on... we don't even know what the gently caress LTI does, it even how basic gameplay is going to happen after over 5 years... something is wrong here!!!" But this is Star Citizen, next check logic at the door and strap in for a wild ride in you single seat, two seat craft and buckle that fine belt tight!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
The post above my last post could not have been timed better.

Problems?? Here???

Have more motion capture, friend! :3

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

lol....

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://go.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

:gary:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

By this logic, the goons never had any targeted harassment campaign against Sandi, causing her to quit Twitter for 4 weeks while she was filming in the Bahamas without cell reception :smuggo:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

See, the 'bug' thing is quite funny and very apt, but I can't take my eyes off all the perfectly straight 'join' lines all perfectly parallel in alignment and all running W-E in the original image, as if googlemaps made the map for this 'moon' from satalite photos stitched together in lines. :shrug:

See them?

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 7, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“A Neurotic Corncob”" post="“477130390”"]

lol....
[/quote]

It's like looking at Crysis!!! Omg!!!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

looking forward to the animal life.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Does maintaining the 2.x or 3.x branch for testers have any value if all your gameplay systems are currently placeholder, and most of them don't exist yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Sabreseven posted:

See, the 'bug' thing is quite funny and very apt, but I can't take my eyes off all the perfectly straight 'join' lines all perfectly parallel in alignment and all running W-E in the original image, as if googlemaps made the map for this 'moon' from satalite photos stitched together in lines. :shrug:

bugs don't have rings