Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kenny Logins posted:

what normies call a rimshot is actually called a sting in percussion

yep an actual rimshot is not used in a sting like that

(rimshots can be part of other stings tho)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kenny Logins posted:

what normies call a rimshot is actually called a sting in percussion

learning music is one of those areas where my attention deficit disorder has really made my life worse :sigh:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

You jerk I was going to post this!!!!!

great minds think alike

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bNzAgJMYVE

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBajhMT7eMY

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

prefect posted:

i just love rimshots. i don't understand how they're actually played, because they don't sound to me like someone hitting the rim of the drum :saddowns:

An actual rim-shot on a drum is performed by striking the pad and the rim simultaneously with the stick. You typically have to hold it lower to do this without also hitting your knuckle on the rim; or you strike the outer ring of the pad and make a slightly different pop on the drum. :drum:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Video Nasty posted:

An actual rim-shot on a drum is performed by striking the pad and the rim simultaneously with the stick. You typically have to hold it lower to do this without also hitting your knuckle on the rim; or you strike the outer ring of the pad and make a slightly different pop on the drum. :drum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwjIdD0gbQ4

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

prefect posted:

learning music is one of those areas where my attention deficit disorder has really made my life worse :sigh:

as someone with real bad adhd, drums are basically the perfect instrument lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

*tfr poster thinking harder than he's ever thought before* guns... are like a computer

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
sup add bro

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
hmm? what'd you say I was too busy making this paperclip into a dong shape

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

lol you can only do two if you're in def leppard

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Rex-Goliath posted:

*tfr poster thinking harder than he's ever thought before* guns... are like a computer
*inserts punch card into machine gun to make it fire in the rhythm of "another one bites the dust"*

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Video Nasty posted:

lol you can only do two if you're in def leppard

this patch is even better in person, shame i dont have anything to put all these patches on

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's what keeps star trek fans 1000 feet away from a school

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Drugs Rule Everything Around Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2N-b-2zV0s

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Homeboy is waiting for the bus.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Davethulhu posted:

hi i upgraded your amp jam

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Moist von Lipwig posted:

my biggest problem has always been practicing. i can get really into something and grind away for a long time, but if i don't have that, it's like that thing where you try pushing two magnets together but with the same poles pointing at each other

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

prefect posted:

my biggest problem has always been practicing. i can get really into something and grind away for a long time, but if i don't have that, it's like that thing where you try pushing two magnets together but with the same poles pointing at each other

yeah I find that drums are so tactile and fidgety that they're totally unlike other instruments like the guitar. I never wanted to sit down and practice guitar but every week I was itching to get those drum sticks in my hand. Hell, I think my ADHD even responded well to that kind of complicated physical action during the rest of the week.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Moist von Lipwig posted:

yeah I find that drums are so tactile and fidgety that they're totally unlike other instruments like the guitar. I never wanted to sit down and practice guitar but every week I was itching to get those drum sticks in my hand. Hell, I think my ADHD even responded well to that kind of complicated physical action during the rest of the week.

that's super-cool. the closest thing for me was "stuff on the internet", which is why i now have a job that pays well. this feels weird when i think about it. i still think it would be better to be normal

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

prefect posted:

that's super-cool. the closest thing for me was "stuff on the internet", which is why i now have a job that pays well. this feels weird when i think about it. i still think it would be better to be normal

ehh, the brain didn't evolve to sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, embrace who you are, friend ☺️

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

That thumb looks like its been places.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cursed

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
friday night smokamuthazzzzzz

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

idgaf if this is music because 1) fffriday night and 2) barons def jetski from 2.45 onwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xfXcZSb8LE

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

prefect posted:

same here lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

prefect posted:

it's like that thing where you try pushing two magnets together but with the same poles pointing at each other

dont doxx my sex life thx

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Moist von Lipwig posted:

yeah i was always obsessed with drums like no other instrument. one of the cool things about drums is that you can actually get useful practice with no kit at all, just learning to separate the movement of your hands and feet while fake drumming on your legs with your fingers or something. probably 90% of what i learned about drums was learned during a time in my life where i was too poor to afford a kit, just sorta nervously drumming with my hands and my feet when i was bored

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah i was always obsessed with drums like no other instrument. one of the cool things about drums is that you can actually get useful practice with no kit at all, just learning to separate the movement of your hands and feet while fake drumming on your legs with your fingers or something. probably 90% of what i learned about drums was learned during a time in my life where i was too poor to afford a kit, just sorta nervously drumming with my hands and my feet when i was bored

i moved to drums after being forced to play double bass for most of elementary school because I was the only one tall enough to hold it up and it was lifechanging. i don't remember poo poo about strings but i can still play out something half decent on a kit even if i haven't played in ages.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah exactly!

Drums are basically dancing while you sit

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

i still have a roland td-7 set stored away for Reasons (not real good ones tho)

should dig it up again and see if it still works, it's cool retro tech by now

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this came out horribly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

akadajet posted:

this came out horribly

• Locked thread