Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

What happens?

The resolution doesn't resize properly so you can't click on some buttons, and there are controller syncing issues i.e. it doesn't switch from the pro controller to the attached joycons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Mister Facetious posted:

Two two year old ports, one twenty five year old reskin, and zero new IP. You're totally filling me with confidence here.

No one should have any confidence in Capcom for any reason anymore at this point

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Policenaut posted:

Capcom has Ultra SF2, Monster Hunter XX Switch Ver, and the Resident Evil Revelations games out on the Switch and mere months ago were reported to be gearing up to create more Switch games.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/890919984301449216

Breath of Fire 1-4 for the Switch? :shepspends:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Those are never going anywhere ever again.

And lord help us all if modern day capcom decides to gently caress with any art.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
While we're hoping and dreaming I just wanna toss Mega Man Legends 3 into the pile as well.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

raditts posted:

The patience of this thread, from what I can tell
lmao

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Picked up Earth Atlantis and put in about two hours into it. It's a single player side scrolling shooter that has you dodging enemy fire and farming power-ups so you can hunt down Bosses. The story is as bare bones as you can imagine, showing up on the loading screen. You unlock ships are you progress and Hunter Mode after you beat the game.
Controls are basic enough, but sadly you can't use the d-pad to steer. While the devs might have thought that an analogue stick would make dodging blasts much easier, the d-pad would have been serviceable. You are given a fire button, but since you have infinite ammo, you'll just hold down the button and tap the "change direction" button from time to time.
The game centres around the Boss battles, where you travel around the map using the sonar map to track them down. Die to a Boss and you'll be sent back to a checkpoint and made farm for power-ups to fight it again. Eventually though you'll pick up on when to dodge and when to move in for the kill. As you stack power-ups, you'll begin to mow down Bosses by floating next to them and spamming attacks. Besides your main weapon, you can pick up Torpedo Missiles, Electrical Beams, Homing Missiles and Bouncing Bombs, which also stack. I began flooring Bosses and enemy waves when I had Electricity, because it locks onto nearby enemies and doesn't stop. I would move close to Bosses and sit patiently as my electricity beams brought them down to half health in seconds. There was a downside to all these weapons going off though.
Performance can vary from time to time. Some moments you can notice the game stutter and other times it can be smooth. I had stuttering happen in tight areas, yet a 80 Fish Boss Battle where they were all shooting electricity and swimming towards me was smooth and frantic. The graphics are a photo filter on 3D models, rather than a hand drawn finish I initially thought. When in motion though, it certainly can look nice. I was playing this in Handheld Mode, so it may not look so great on a HD TV. Enemy designs are sharp and some look really cool. The UI and Menus however are hideous - imagine the Sepia / Pencil filter you could add with your smart phone to an image and then not even bothering to change the text from Arial or some other bland font.
I would be hard pressed to recommend this at full price, but the Bosses are varied enough that you could have some fun with it. I'd say wait for a decent sale before giving it a look.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I don't think I've used the dpad for any game yet. Then again I have basically no experience with consoles in the last 12 years except for the switch. Analogue been working great

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Frankston posted:

How on earth is it Stardew Valley spent so long in testing yet it freaks out when you undock/dock the game, a key Nintendo Switch feature. What were they even testing?

chucklefish was testing their incompetence.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Evil Fluffy posted:

I owned the third and fifth.

Three was pretty alright.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why leave out the best one?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Modus Pwnens posted:

Why leave out the best one?

Yeah, 6 is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Valve. Gaben please port the half life and portal series to switch

Valve doesn't make non-F2P games anymore

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Yeah, 6 is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm turning into a dragon and getting a game over at this post. :mad:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo starsdew came out and no one called me? You loving assholes I went through a mental break down

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Improbable Lobster posted:

Valve doesn't make games anymore

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo has opened up a farewell group on Miiverse for the last month.:smith:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/6437256809372544018/6437256809372544024/hot

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Valve doesn’t make games anymore

I’ve long known that Portal 3 and Half Life 3 were never gonna happen but the realization that we’ll probably never see another game from Valve was kinda devastating. Very few devs have track records like them and they’re one of the few that really embraced technical and gameplay innovations.

*pours out a forty of liquified moon rocks*

Portal, perfect for the Switch

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But first you must solve my riddles thr- my riddles two!
I understood this reference

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
hey i made a thread title

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

lelandjs posted:

I’ve long known that Portal 3 and Half Life 3 were never gonna happen but the realization that we’ll probably never see another game from Valve was kinda devastating. Very few devs have track records like them and they’re one of the few that really embraced technical and gameplay innovations.

*pours out a forty of liquified moon rocks*

Portal, perfect for the Switch

What do you mean? they're making a new game right now!

A DOTA card game! :v:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stan Taylor posted:

hey i made a thread title

its good

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Frankston posted:

How on earth is it Stardew Valley spent so long in testing yet it freaks out when you undock/dock the game, a key Nintendo Switch feature. What were they even testing?

It only just occurred to me to check in here to see how Switchdew is, and I guess I'm not surprised. Never change, Chucklefish. :allears:

(just go away)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does the Switch have a Gundam game yet?

Not yet.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Stardew: How do you rotate furniture?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Stardew: Does it ever auto save or only when I sleep?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm having trouble reading those as questions and not thread title suggestions

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midjack posted:

Not yet.

drat. I don't wanna buy a PS4 just for Gundams

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

are they known for their gundamns

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

So, are the residents of Stardew Valley so helpful because you're the only source of agriculture around? Is that why you get money from putting your crops in the box, because they're buying them? Is this like a reverse farmers market? If you had waited any longer, would the entire town have died of malnutrition?

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Beastie posted:

Stardew: Does it ever auto save or only when I sleep?

Only when you go to sleep.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gundam versus likely will never come to switch (and if so, probably not in america), idk if there's any other real good gundam games worth getting beyond that

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

[quote="“Fly with me”" post="“477133943”"]
Only when you go to sleep.
[/quote]

Thanks!

Is fishing super finicky or am I just bad?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Sony has gotten way more mecha games than Nintendo has for the last few generations; all you're likely to see on the Switch is a SRW.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Frankston posted:

The resolution doesn't resize properly so you can't click on some buttons, and there are controller syncing issues i.e. it doesn't switch from the pro controller to the attached joycons.

I dock and undock frequently; is this problem consistently reproducible on everyone's machines or is it just this guy? That'll kill a Stardew purchase for me until it's patched, I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Facetious posted:

I owned the third and fifth.

Three was pretty alright.

Have you somehow not played BoFIV? Because you should really play BoFIV :colbert:.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The controls in the arcade machine in Stardew are wrong and the save times are weirdly long. The use of the cursor to select things is strange; I thought they were fixing the game pad controls for this?

Aside from those somewhat minor things the port seems pretty good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
When I realized that ZR and ZL toggles through the items in your backpack, my playing experience got much better. I was using the cursor every time. Ugh.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

The controls in the arcade machine in Stardew are wrong and the save times are weirdly long. The use of the cursor to select things is strange; I thought they were fixing the game pad controls for this?

Aside from those somewhat minor things the port seems pretty good.

What controller are you using? I only had problems with the arcade controls with my 8bitdo gamepad, using joycons it was fine. The overall controls are pretty good from my experience, haven't needed the cursor for anything control-wise

e: vvvv that's weird, that was the problem my 8bitdo pad had and my joycons didn't

Manky fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

[quote="“Manky”" post="“477136739”"]
What controller are you using? I only had problems with the arcade controls with my 8bitdo gamepad, using joycons it was fine. The overall controls are pretty good from my experience, haven’t needed the cursor for anything control-wise
[/quote]

The joycons. In Prairie King the buttons didn't correspond to the correct directions when shooting.

• Locked thread