Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still hungry has been replaced with no sudden movements trying to not suddenly explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

User Error posted:

Any of you gents have experience with newish Ford Escapes? The fiance wants a small SUV thing and likes the Escapes, but I've heard a few bad things. Turbos, transmissions, cooling system issues. Other people say the newer ones are fine.

We're thinking 15k-17k price range. I'm leaning towards the Mazda CX-5 myself but they are a little more scarce in our price range. I guess there are RAV-4s and CRVs as well, but bleehh.

There is a thread in BFC for this, but your far better off with the honda or toyota. Probably the Honda. If your concerned about it being slow find an older rav-4 with the V6.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you insist on new go Honda/Toyota/Subaru. Or, buy a 1-3 old domestic. The initial depreciation is crazy and better to let someone other than yourself eat it.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
There's a dealer nearby with a few 2014 and 2015 CR-Vs, we'll probably hit them up tomorrow. Reliability and economy really are the main concern since I won't be driving it much.

They're just so boring.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

FFS, just went to see a low milage 07 civic advertised as having a full service history, when i checked the book the last stamp was 2011.

Dude was even trying to argue it was no big deal. Get utterly hosed.

Going to see a 2010 tomorrow, it's listed as having 'auxiliary heating'. I'm in the UK, is it really possible that it's the full on, factory fitted, cold climate auxiliary heating? Or is it just a dickhead way of describing heated mirrors or something? If it's the full thing from the pdf that would be a big selling point to me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's hilariously unlikely but would be cool.

I looked at a panda advertised as full service history, it had marmite on the dipstick and at 60k miles it had a single dealer stamp for 8k miles. Body was spotless but budgeting for a new engine meant it was worth about 20% of the asking price.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Wait Lowtax got banned from Twitter?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Father Jack posted:

FFS, just went to see a low milage 07 civic advertised as having a full service history, when i checked the book the last stamp was 2011.

Dude was even trying to argue it was no big deal. Get utterly hosed.

Going to see a 2010 tomorrow, it's listed as having 'auxiliary heating'. I'm in the UK, is it really possible that it's the full on, factory fitted, cold climate auxiliary heating? Or is it just a dickhead way of describing heated mirrors or something? If it's the full thing from the pdf that would be a big selling point to me.

What is this wondrous "book" and "stamp" thing that you describe? You make it sound like owners might actually keep some sort of log of service history, an unknown and miraculous thing in the Colonies.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Darchangel posted:

What is this wondrous "book" and "stamp" thing that you describe? You make it sound like owners might actually keep some sort of log of service history, an unknown and miraculous thing in the Colonies.

Really? Is it different in the US?

Am I right in taking a 'stamps or it didn't happen' approach in the UK?

If you're doing maintenance yourself don't people at least keep reciepts for oil/filter/parts?

I so hope the one tomorrow has the full on auxiliary heater. I had the idea they were only for deisels for some reason?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

User Error posted:

There's a dealer nearby with a few 2014 and 2015 CR-Vs, we'll probably hit them up tomorrow. Reliability and economy really are the main concern since I won't be driving it much.

They're just so boring.

Boring, yes, but obscenely reliable.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Father Jack posted:

Really? Is it different in the US?

Am I right in taking a 'stamps or it didn't happen' approach in the UK?

If you're doing maintenance yourself don't people at least keep reciepts for oil/filter/parts?

I so hope the one tomorrow has the full on auxiliary heater. I had the idea they were only for deisels for some reason?

I don't keep receipts but I do keep detailed excel charts of maintenance done. Date, mileage, costs. More for me than anything, really. And I do keep receipts for the big items like timing belts and stuff. Not for oil or oil filters though, how can I prove it went on this car?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ExplodingSims posted:

You can be a literal loving Nazi and Twit freely but apparently make a bad joke you are BANNED

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/06/ralphie-may-dead

Man, gently caress 2017.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ExplodingSims posted:

lol yeah, for suggesting that baked alaska get concrete poured on him

threats are taken seriously by twitter, except when the dumb as poo poo president tweets about nuclear war

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CornHolio posted:

I don't keep receipts but I do keep detailed excel charts of maintenance done. Date, mileage, costs. More for me than anything, really. And I do keep receipts for the big items like timing belts and stuff. Not for oil or oil filters though, how can I prove it went on this car?

Pretty much this, only most owners don't bother with even that.
I personally have a FileMaker database that I track all of my cars in, and I generally try to keep receipts in a file for each, but as a concept, there's really no such thing as a service book or log here. You can get your dealer to check off stuff in the back of some owner's manuals, if you go to the dealer, but there's really no proof other than receipts that work was done.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GM has their owner center, which any dealer-performed maintenance, repairs, recalls, etc will show up in. You can also manually enter your own maintenance.

It's not quite as good as a stack of receipts (which I ALWAYS lose), but I have everything I've ever done to the Saturd in there, except for tiny poo poo like light bulbs. Every oil change, tire rotation, etc.

Not for resale value (it's an 11 year old Saturn ffs), but more so I can go back and see when my last oil change, tire rotation, etc was. And it's nice having recalls automatically pop up in there (both completed and uncompleted).

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

BraveUlysses posted:

lol yeah, for suggesting that baked alaska get concrete poured on him

threats are taken seriously by twitter, except when the dumb as poo poo president tweets about nuclear war

Ah. I see.

Advocate for genocide? Sure! That's just fine!

Make fun of a Nazi? Whoa! Let's not hurt any feelings here!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If he was verified it would have been ok. Nobodies aren't allowed to be comically violent.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BraveUlysses posted:

threats are taken seriously by twitter

Thats the first time I've ever read that even as a jest

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
smash mouth eat the eggs Twitter ban the president

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

DICK DICER posted:

smash mouth eat the eggs Twitter ban the president

Just until we figure out what's going on, of course

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What's a genuinely cool website you have bookmarked that others probably don't know about but should?

Here's mine - https://earth.nullschool.net/

You can see pretty much real time graphical representation of surface winds anywhere on the planet, but tweak for other stuff and I think it's cool as hell. What ya got?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

slidebite posted:

What's a genuinely cool website you have bookmarked that others probably don't know about but should?

Here's mine - https://earth.nullschool.net/

You can see pretty much real time graphical representation of surface winds anywhere on the planet, but tweak for other stuff and I think it's cool as hell. What ya got?

https://www.windy.com
Windy - same type of map, with some extra doodads for cloud cover/precip/etc (e: I played around with your map and yours is better)

https://camelcamelcamel.com/
Amazon price history tool

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/
Useful tool for keeping up with the sheer amount of hosed up news every day (not good for your sanity)

https://www.funimation.com/shows/initial-d/
You can watch Initial D on your computing box like a well adjusted adult

https://pcpartpicker.com/
Building a computing box for watching Initial D? This site takes all the guesswork out of it, gives price histories, lets you sort by price/rating/etc, highlights compatibility issues

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 7, 2017

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
i'm on my 12th can of blue light and eating my son's chocolate banana wafer cookies and this poo poo is so god damned good.

just an fyi.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
also, why are clean late model TJs so hard to find now?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Because the ricer from the early 2000's has evolved into the lift kit bro we know today. Although he favors diesel pickups, Wranglers are a fashionable, yet more reasonably priced choice. So they get bought up and destroyed, prices climb.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Hope all the Asheville goons are ready for a bunch of rain, stay safe.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Gingerbread House Music posted:

i'm on my 12th can of blue light and eating my son's chocolate banana wafer cookies and this poo poo is so god damned good.

just an fyi.
my man.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gingerbread House Music posted:

chocolate banana wafer cookies and this poo poo is so god damned good.

I'm jealous.

I'm trying to make marinara sauce in my instant pot (I haven't eaten today before you judge). I guess in about 45 minutes I'll get an idea of what tweaks the recipe I found needs. Have meatballs in the oven too.

I already know it needs better tomatoes, but Kroger didn't have actual San Marzanos :(

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Anyone else from the PA area going to Autos And Ales this year? I highly recommend it. Its a great event. Awesome exhibits as well as kick rear end beers and food.

Last year I was permitted to have unlimited beer and be near a $3 million Tucker Torpedo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

redgubbinz posted:

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/
Useful tool for keeping up with the sheer amount of hosed up news every day (not good for your sanity)

I like that, never heard of it. That's the kind of poo poo I'm looking for :)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

slidebite posted:

I like that, never heard of it. That's the kind of poo poo I'm looking for :)

By the URL I was expecting it to be like http://whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/ and http://thefuckingweather.com but this seems pretty level headed, surprisingly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

User Error posted:

They're just so boring.

Thanks slightly older smaller RAV4 with the 4 banger is a fantastic little trucklet and I still want one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So it's getting close to the end of the billing cycle for me (for electricity). Went online, checked to see how much power I'd used, and....

I haven't used enough. Not nearly enough.

I get a $30 discount if I use between 500-999 kWh, putting my price at 500 kWh at 8.3c/kWh. If I use 1000-1499, I get a $100 discount, putting my price at 1000 kWh at 4.1c/kWh. If I use under 500, or more than 1499, I wind up paying something like 15c/kWh. So the whole "smart meter" and "website to check real-time usage" bit comes in handy. I'd used just over 500 kWh when I first checked... with less than 10 days to make it to 1000.

So yeah... been inviting friends over to do as much laundry as they want for a few days (I don't pay directly for water). AC has been cranked down to 68, LED and CFL bulbs have been banished for now (holy poo poo it's a PITA to find incandescent bulbs now!), lights don't get turned off, space heater under my desk, water heater set to "instant scald". I'm down to 7 days to break 1000, only have ~300 kwh to go.

Feels so alien to actively try and drive up my electric usage. :confuoot: This is the cheapest plan I could find for my typical usage, just means I'm stuck wasting a shitton of power for a couple of months a year.

somethingsomethingderegulation

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 7, 2017

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
18 cans should do it. I'm bored now and i've started considering bidding on TJs sight unseen on ebay.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So it's getting close to the end of the billing cycle for me (for electricity). Went online, checked to see how much power I'd used, and....

I get a $30 discount if I use between 500-999 kWh, putting my price at 500 kWh at 8.3c/kWh. If I use 1000-1499, I get a $100 discount, putting my price at 1000 kWh at 4.1c/kWh. If I use under 500, or more than 1499, I wind up paying something like 15c/kWh. So the whole "smart meter" and "website to check real-time usage" bit comes in handy. I'd used just over 500 kWh when I first checked... with less than 10 days to make it to 1000.

So yeah... been inviting friends over to do as much laundry as they want for a few days (I don't pay directly for water). AC has been cranked down to 68, LED and CFL bulbs have been banished for now (holy poo poo it's a PITA to find incandescent bulbs now!), lights don't get turned off, space heater under my desk, water heater set to "instant scald". I'm down to 7 days to break 1000, only have ~300 kwh to go.

Feels so alien to actively try and drive up my electric usage. :confuoot: This is the cheapest plan I could find for my typical usage, just means I'm stuck wasting a shitton of power for a couple of months a year.

somethingsomethingderegulation

texas.wpd

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Mine some bitcoins :v:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Iron all your clothes, hell iron others and charge them for the labour, would be a good day job. If your stove is lovely electric then put lots of unsoaked beans in pots to cook 4-6 hrs and then freeze for later meals. Make lots of hot water in a big urn for the local british tea society meet, run someone's electric tun and boiler for homebrew, or someone's liquor still.
E: Where's the real Tesla when I want some free wireless electricity? :v:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 7, 2017

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The northern suburbs of Adelaide's solution to that problem would be "Grow lights"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How do you even end up with that kind of situation? It sounds like they properly hosed up the discount system.

• Locked thread