Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

my turn in the barrel posted:

I found a couple 8 tracks and figured I'd try out one of the 8 track players I have.

Works great.
What the heck?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_tape

Check that 3rd pic with the 70s car unit.

Must be a popular tape!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I managed to salvage a Technics Ls-D3 from my in-laws, and I'd like to get it up and running. I think it needs a new needle though, since the one it has looks bent. The problem is trying to find the right one. I'm pretty sure the cartridge is a Shure M75 variant that got sold through Radio Shack. The needle itself is labeled 5X. Anyone know anything about these? I took a few pics of the cartridge.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Funzo posted:

I managed to salvage a Technics Ls-D3 from my in-laws, and I'd like to get it up and running. I think it needs a new needle though, since the one it has looks bent. The problem is trying to find the right one. I'm pretty sure the cartridge is a Shure M75 variant that got sold through Radio Shack. The needle itself is labeled 5X. Anyone know anything about these? I took a few pics of the cartridge.

I'm pretty sure this would work:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHSR005X.html

But you could always confirm with the store.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm pretty sure this would work:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHSR005X.html

But you could always confirm with the store.

That's the stylus I have on my R25x
It might work with that cart too, I don't know offhand.

http://needlefinder.musicstack.com/seller.cgi?seller=715563&genre=SHURE&media= might be able to help?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's the stylus I have on my R25x
It might work with that cart too, I don't know offhand.

Shure is one of those companies that hasn't re-invented the wheel too many times. Most incompatibilities with their styli and cartridges are solely due to the plastic bit. So much so that you can often just file down the bits that don't fit and get a perfectly working system. (The plastic is literally just there so you have something to grab onto when removing the stylus and/or to have a place to attach the stylus guard to.) I'm not even sure that 5X is the original stylus for that cart but if it worked in the past, I'm sure a 3rd party 5X replacement will also work.

e: I'm not saying they're all compatible, just that they often are.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 5, 2017

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So, I've got a Nikko ND-620 Stereo Cassette Deck, and it's been working without a hitch for many years, now. Untill today.

It won't eject my tape. Anyone have any ideas about what might be up and how I can retrieve my cassette without tearing it to pieces?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What happened when you pushed the eject button? Did it make a noise? Did the door move at all?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
No sound, and no movement.

Opened it up and this is what happens when I hit the eject button:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6M59JAW28w

Datasmurf fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 6, 2017

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I can't see much in the video but follow the linkage and see where it goes. At some point you probably snapped something or lost a spring. You might be able to manually trip the linkage after what broke.

It's also possible the tape got eaten and is bound to a capstan. If so you are probably best holding the button and forcing the door open with a spudger or a flatblade.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Yeah, that'll be my last resort, I guess. I'm still hoping to be able to get the tape out and be able to continue using the player afterwards. Maybe I should figure out if someone nearby repairs cassette players.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wouldn't go straight to forcing it. I'd open the whole thing up a bit more first and see what you and wiggle around to see if anything got stuck. I can't see much in that video, but I'm sure it's possible to dig into it a bit more to see what's up.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I hope so, I just want my tape back. It contains a recording of me play fighting with my dad and playing Ninja Turtles from back in 91.

Would also be nice to continue using the player afterwards, but at least I can buy a new one of those. It's worse with the recording.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Once you get it fixed, take the time to rip it to a digital format. Bits will last a whole lot longer than tape.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Oh, I know. I've already done that. I just like having the tape around. It feels better. And it's lasted for 26 years, so I'll hope it'll at least hit 30.

e: There we go. A friend came over and got my tape out, unharmed. Player still doesn't work, though.
e2: Posted about this on a Norwegian HiFi forum, and someone offered to come home to me and take a look at it. I'm very grateful for it.

Have some pictures of the Nikko ND-620. It seems to be quite rare, at least here in Norway:

https://imgur.com/a/UjNYB

This thing seems to be the culprit, or one of the culprits.

Datasmurf fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 8, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Finally got my old MCS turntable I picked up last year hooked up to a pre-amp and my monitors, things mostly seem good which is nice!

A few things I'd like to deal with...

1. There's no quartz lock, just a strobe lamp with 33/50 33/60 45/50 45/60 which I presume relates to the power frequency and so I should try to get the strobe to time up on the 33/60 and 45/60 lines. However, it's not amazing stable and floats even at the far end extreme of the dial. Presumably it's new belt time and this will help? Or do non-quartz decks always float a little bit?

2. I'm hearing some emphasis on one of the channels over the other, I need to do some comparisons between MP3 and vinyl to see if I can isolate it. It could be a phase issue but I'm pretty awful at identifying those with 100% certainty. It's wired up correctly, time to look at the wiring in the head shell?

3. I'm hearing more motor noise than presumed, just something to live with? It's not louder than the music at least.

Too many things and I'll just buy a modern TT, but I quite like the sound I'm getting out of this with the pile of punk 7"s I'm putting through it so think it's worth a bit of extra time/$.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i've got a marantz 2270 powering some l166s. it sounds great, but could it sound better with a power amp? are power amps necessary with older equipment? guess i really don't know what a power amp does or would help with

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

A 2270 is 70 WPC sustained, a power amp isn’t going to do much for you unless you live in an auditorium. That thing is plenty beefy for almost all possible home applications.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

According to this thread the JBL L166s are rated for 70 WPC sustained so you are probably not going to do much but blow them with a more powerful amp.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/jbl-l166-or-4312b.387506/

But it all depends on the size of the room and the speakers you are using some larger speakers may need more power to operate correctly. For example I got a pair of OHM I speakers for free. The guy I got them from said they were broken because they never put out much sound. He did have them hooked up to an 80s era reciever that probably only put out 45WPC max.

I assumed that the amp was too weak to get them to run. They have 3 tweeters, a woofer and a subwoofer so they need a decent amount of power just to get everything working.

I hooked them up at home to verify and they worked perfectly.

According to ohm you need 100-1000WPC to run them. And they have a switch which allows you to power the subwoofer separately so if you ran a separate sub crossover and power amp you could probably have a bit less power on your main amp.

But large cabinet speakers will generally benefit from being driven with at least 100-150WPC if you are in a larger room and will need to turn them up.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i've got a marantz 2270 powering some l166s. it sounds great, but could it sound better with a power amp? are power amps necessary with older equipment? guess i really don't know what a power amp does or would help with

A receiver like your 2270 has an integrated amp in it. An integrated amp is a combination pre amp and power amp. The pre amp stage does a small bit of amplification (basically volume control), plus bass, mid and treble control. Then that signal is passed to the power amp stage where it’s amped up to drive your speakers. So you already technically have a power amp, it’s built into your receiver. All receivers have one.

Standalone power amps are used when you want to pair specific amp components. For example you’d buy a standalone pre amp and a power amp and hook them together. Or some receivers have a “pre out” jack on the back that lets you use your receiver as a pre amp (it outputs just the pre amp signal, bypassing the internal power amp) so you can hook it up to an external pre amp.

It basically lets you sperg our way more with your equipment.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Finally got some deoxit. Have been cleaning and testing gear.

Marantz 1180DC hooked up as a preamp to a dynaco 400.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
That looks skookum as, very nice

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's been a long time since I posted my stereo corner, and it's changed a lot since then. I got a couple kallaxes, put some accent lighting behind it, and added an EQ, cassette deck, 8-track, and CD changer to the stack. Kind of a bummer I had to block the speaker a little with the the stand, but I can't hear a difference so whatevs. I used a Yamaha receiver for about a year before going back to my old SX-780. I love this thing, and I doubt I'll ever use any other receiver unless I happen to find a Marantz or a higher-end Pioneer.

I moved my reel-to-reel to the other side of the room, since it's a self-contained system with an integrated amplifier and speaker hookups. The table stores my tapes and conceals a set of small KLH speakers, which happened to fit perfectly in the openings.

Let's see some other current setups.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some might not post their setup due to thinking it’s too basic. So I’ll post the low bar!

MCS (for JC Penney nonetheless!) turntable, but as per previous post either needs work or replacement

Used to have a Sharp Optonica turntable feeding into a Sansui amp with a few hundred vinyl, but emigrating is hard work and I’m building back from scratch in a small home. Below the Traktor is that Nakamichi deck I bought a little while back at least!

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Crosspost from the SH/SC Desktop thread.

This is my low-bar setup. Got the turntable - A Pioneer 212 - from my Father in Law. Had to replace the belt and needle, otherwise it works great. Got his vinyl collection too, which was a whole shitload of Steely Dan, ZZ Top, Rolling Stones, etc.

The Amp is a Pioneer I got off Kijiji for cheap. Couple hours with some canned air and Deoxit and it works good as new almost - I lose left channel sometimes and need to wiggle the source select. I'm going to go back in and give it another once over soon.

Closeup and douche maneuver.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008
Tell me, goons. Is the Rega Planar 1 worth paying $200 more over the RP1? I'm talking $600 vs. $400 Canadian shipped brand new. I'm putting together my first 2-channel setup with a vintage receiver (Pioneer SX-727) and speakers (to be determined), but I want to get a newer turntable as I don't know enough about them to confidently pick out a well-sorted vintage unit, or do any kind of serious repairs or adjustment on it. Just want a decent reliable setup that will be mostly trouble-free. Thanks for the advice.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

B.Wales! posted:

Tell me, goons. Is the Rega Planar 1 worth paying $200 more over the RP1?

I guess you meant RP1 vs RP2? I doubt it. I couldn't even tell what the difference is on their marketing blurbs.

Whatever you get, just make sure it takes a standard cartridge. You don't want to be tied to one manufacturer for your carts/needles.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008

ColdPie posted:

I guess you meant RP1 vs RP2? I doubt it. I couldn't even tell what the difference is on their marketing blurbs.

Whatever you get, just make sure it takes a standard cartridge. You don't want to be tied to one manufacturer for your carts/needles.
I'm talking about the RP1 (older model) vs the newer Planar 1, not to be confused with the even older P1. I know their naming scheme is a bit ridiculous. Comes with a Rega Carbon moving magnet cartridge, but I believe it can be changed or upgraded down the road. I'm not sure at this point I'll even be able to tell the difference, unless someone had a compelling reason to spend $200 more on the newer model. The reviews on both units are excellent for what they are.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Antioch posted:

Crosspost from the SH/SC Desktop thread.

This is my low-bar setup. Got the turntable - A Pioneer 212 - from my Father in Law. Had to replace the belt and needle, otherwise it works great. Got his vinyl collection too, which was a whole shitload of Steely Dan, ZZ Top, Rolling Stones, etc.

The Amp is a Pioneer I got off Kijiji for cheap. Couple hours with some canned air and Deoxit and it works good as new almost - I lose left channel sometimes and need to wiggle the source select. I'm going to go back in and give it another once over soon.

Closeup and douche maneuver.

I've got one of those Phillips 212 turntables. They're not bad. Not fantastic, but it works.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

vwestlife made a video on one of those that someone had modified to play 78rpm in a really slick way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ujxhSxiwmA

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

B.Wales! posted:

I'm talking about the RP1 (older model) vs the newer Planar 1, not to be confused with the even older P1. I know their naming scheme is a bit ridiculous. Comes with a Rega Carbon moving magnet cartridge, but I believe it can be changed or upgraded down the road. I'm not sure at this point I'll even be able to tell the difference, unless someone had a compelling reason to spend $200 more on the newer model. The reviews on both units are excellent for what they are.

I have the Planar 2. I didn't get into the nitty gritty of it because a buddy of mine did a bunch of research and decided that it was the best for my needs. It was that or the Pro-ject Debut Carbon. Reviews were pretty unanimous that it was worth paying the extra for the Rega. (I managed to get mine wholesale so the cost difference was negligible)

The only thing that kinda annoys me is that you have to take the platter off to change speed.

slothrop fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 31, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it fairly common for separates to not have volume controls on the headphone out? I rarely use headphones on the module level, but as I'm routing my Nakamichi deck into a pair of powered monitors I don't have an amp. I wanted to put headphones in and was quite surprised there was no pot. I'm kinda wondering what purpose they had, were people using headphone amps off a headphone out back when these decks were popular? I'm sure the higher end models have controls, but mines just a basic Cassette Deck 2.

Also I'm happy to finally test it and things are sounding good! A few weird quirks like if you fast forward to the end of the tape, it doesn't stop but instead starts rewinding. Not sure if that's by design or not, but hey! Need to find some good quality recordings to put through it, but so far so good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is it fairly common for separates to not have volume controls on the headphone out? I rarely use headphones on the module level, but as I'm routing my Nakamichi deck into a pair of powered monitors I don't have an amp. I wanted to put headphones in and was quite surprised there was no pot. I'm kinda wondering what purpose they had, were people using headphone amps off a headphone out back when these decks were popular? I'm sure the higher end models have controls, but mines just a basic Cassette Deck 2.

Also I'm happy to finally test it and things are sounding good! A few weird quirks like if you fast forward to the end of the tape, it doesn't stop but instead starts rewinding. Not sure if that's by design or not, but hey! Need to find some good quality recordings to put through it, but so far so good.

The gain on the cassette deck doesn't adjust headphone volume?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unless there’s something on the back, which would just be odd, I don’t see any kind of gain control. I might just be blind/stupid though!

Not my image: http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/925395-nakamichi-cassette-deck-2.jpg

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rec level master is a gain control. If anything is going to do double duty as headphone output level control, it would be that. Not saying it will.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What's even the point of a headphone jack on a tape deck? so you can listen to the levels on one input?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Most separates, no. Tape decks, relatively often.

Headphone amps existed, yes, but more likely people would have been using headphones with volume control in a professional setting. People at home would be using a tape deck in a stack and using the socket on a receiver or amp.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, that's the reason I think I've never noticed if any of my previous separates lacked the headphone volume control - I've simply never used them as I'd go into the amp. Kind of seems a bit pointless including the socket without it to me, but hey! I know my 90s Sony CD separate had a volume control simply because I used to be wowed the remote control would move the physical dial. Easily pleased as a kid.

I'll see if the record gain affects it out of curiosity.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

BigFactory posted:

What's even the point of a headphone jack on a tape deck? so you can listen to the levels on one input?

So you can listen to tapes without a receiver

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Oh boy what'd I get myself into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Debt perhaps?