Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

This is a ripped off "satire" headline from Andy Borowitz that people are sharing and believing for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Meh. It's just one of those terms that everybody thinks means something different than it does, like "begs the question" or "literally."

This begs the question, what does zero-sum literally mean?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

zakharov posted:

This is a ripped off "satire" headline from Andy Borowitz that people are sharing and believing for some reason.

Would that quote really surprise you? Be honest.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
the schadenfreude is on me for inadvertently starting a "zero-sum" debate. not to be devil's mannequin, but glass is always clearer on the other side.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is from a New Yorker piece.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/devos-defends-trump-would-a-moron-hire-me

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

A game where the total number of points in the game remains static at all times, and so if someone gains some then someone else loses the same amount. If I take ten dollars from you, you have lost ten dollars and I have gained ten dollars. The net amount of dollars in the system is unchanged, so me stealing all your money is a zero sum game. If I were to take that money and burn it all that happens is that you've lost money, making it a negative sum game.

What I'm trying to say is I really think you should give me ten dollars.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What about when I steal software

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

xergm posted:

Yes. The original Wolfenstein 3D even had Mecha-Hitler as a boss.

It was Wolfenstein 3D because there was a 2D version first, which also involved killing Nazis

Wolfenstein: Killing Nazis since 1981

In (persumably) non-Nazi news:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/dark-web-drug-dealer-busted-en-route-beard-contest-article-1.3525458

quote:

A virtual drug dealer who conducted illegal transactions on the internet’s “dark web” was arrested while travelling from his base in France to Austin, Texas, to compete in a worldwide beard-growing competition.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Elizabethan Error posted:

:what: yes it is, neither side would 'win' = zero sum game.

Hahahaha the best schadenfreude is always from inside the thread

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

idgi

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Macedonia is poo poo and Italy is (well, should be) one of the best teams in the world, so drawing with Macedonia is really bad.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Football.

Italy is a large country with a long-standing football tradition, and the national team is often a source of national pride. Macedonia, on the other hand, is a smallish country and a relative newcomer to the football scene (first played in 1993), usually grouped with other small countries in the "will never amount to anything much in football" group.

Italy played Macedonia in the world cup qualifiers. Macedonia has already lost all hopes of qualifying so the result wouldn't have mady any difference for them, Italy on the other hand really needed a win to improve their chances of qualifying.

They tied.

And now there's a very real possibility that Italy will not qualify for the world cup, which would be a first and a source of national shame.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

italy started that match 3 points behind the league leader, got stuck with a draw from the second to last team in the same group.

I didn't get it either

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://twitter.com/SenJeffMerkley/status/915704243335700481/video/1
the EPA nominee for the Clean Air department is ignorant about basic chemistry and basic causality :chaostrump:

This is loving amazing.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Field Mousepad posted:

Would that quote really surprise you? Be honest.

I feel like there will be some really interesting psychology textbooks in, oh, about a decade.

Assuming we still have education then :smith:

And, like, a planet that isn't a nuclear wasteland.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

*youtubertainer voice* But that's just a theory. A Game Theory Theory.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

it'll be on everyone who thinks that nuclear war can be more than a zero-sum game

the EPA nominee for the Clean Air department is ignorant about basic chemistry and basic causality :chaostrump:

loving roasted his rear end

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/JxOAg2W.mp4

crossfit

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Solice Kirsk posted:

A sum that is zero.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
What if the zeroes are on a treadmill? Will they still add to zero or will they be negative?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

What if it's a 1 - 0.9999... sum game?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I come with another tale from r/LegalAdvice.

quote:

Alright I know this is stupid but bear with me. I should point out I didn't hurt anyone but I'm scared the police are going to come knocking thinking I was trying to.

My family is full of outdoorsy kinda guys. When I was younger, my dad had a couple acres of land out in northern Ontario with a lake on it. We used to go to all the time to fish and camp out. I ended up moving to the city for work, but recently my dad passed away and I inherited the land. No one from the family had been there in ages, so it was completely overgrown. I decided to head up for a weekend and try to clean up the place a bit, bring a 24 of beer, just make a weekend out of it.

When I was a kid, my dad cut down a tree, and I as a dumb kid ran right near where it was falling. A branch hit me on it's way down and cut me up pretty bad. I figured since I'd be cutting down some lumber to make a path and to light a fire, I'd bring my hockey mask to avoid any accidents. You can see where this is going.

We have a cabin that's clearly aged, but none of the windows were broken and it still kept the wind out. It seemed oddly clean but I didn't really think about it. I was just happy to be out in the woods again. I get to work making a pathway so I can at least make a path to the road. After a while the sun starts setting, so I figure I'll haul some wood to the cabin and start a fire.

When I get near the cabin I hear voices and laughing. There's already a fire going by the lakeside. Admittedly I got nervous because I thought they might be hunters, and I didn't bother wearing orange since I didn't expect to see anyone. I got to the edge of the woods and saw it was just a bunch of 20 or so year olds drinking and laughing around the campfire. I was kinda dumbfounded and not really sure what to do, I wasn't really expecting trespassers.

Well, one of them noticed the 6'3" axe wielding hockey mask wearing dude staring at them from the woods and started screaming. My first instinct was to chase after them and tell them to wait since I wasn't going to call the police or anything. I realized after a few seconds what a loving stupid idiot I was and dropped the axe and the mask. By that time they'd all scattered into the woods in the opposite direction of where I came in from.

They clearly took care of the place, no garbage or broken windows, so I would have been fine to let them keep using the place. My main concern is if one of them called the police on the axe wielding lunatic in the woods. This happened last weekend and I haven't heard anything yet, but it's still nerve wracking. Did I technically do anything illegal? It's not like I threatened them or anything, and do I need to prove/how would I prove I had no ill intent? I'm planning on going up again this weekend, but I'm leaving the mask at home and just not being a wuss about stuff hitting my face.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Solice Kirsk posted:

That if you add up, i.e. you "sum," everyone's "scores" in the game - all positive scores + all negative scores, that the total will be zero.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

The only winning move is not to play.

How about a nice game of chess?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

zero-sum literally means "adds to zero"

The phrase "zero sum" is a shortened way of saying "zero sum gain" and when you think about it that way everything makes sense and is consistent.

We as a species' technological development. Don't have a loving aneurysm dude.

Again the "deliberately mis-interpret something someone said so you can feel smug" is so loving old.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Oct 7, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Regalingualius posted:

I come with another tale from r/LegalAdvice.

I love these kinds of stories. Really officer, it was just a long series of tragic misunderstandings!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Why is she crossfitting barefoot, in khakis and a crop top?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

walrusman posted:

Why is she crossfitting barefoot, in khakis and a crop top?

Crossfit

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Kipping pull-ups are loving stupid

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

it'll be on everyone who thinks that nuclear war can be more than a zero-sum game

I genuinely think Merkley would be a good choice for the Dems to run next time.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Pick posted:

I genuinely think Merkley would be a good choice for the Dems to run next time.

His case of ratface is certainly less advanced than that of Oregon's senior senator, Ron Wyden.

edit: before anyone says it, there is no political motive here, I am commenting solely on appearance. Merkley would probably be a pretty good candidate.

walrusman has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Oct 7, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Bobby Digital posted:

there's a name for that? like an actual formal term?

lmao i thought she was loving around

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The continuing adventures of Baked Alaska, the perpetual self-ownage device:

https://twitter.com/JoePerticone/status/916449240146210816

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bobby Digital posted:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Bobby Digital posted:

KingSlime posted:

there's a name for that? like an actual formal term?

lmao i thought she was loving around

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

"Prepare for the airing of grievances!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can see this kind of training being useful for firemen or maybe cops. Especially if the firemen has to lug around some heavy stuff and need to get somewhere in an emergency situation. But I doubt there's any health benefits for anyone else.