Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

mobby_6kl posted:

That would've been great, but I'd prefer to have a functional fast travel system that isn't "do an EVA lol"

Once I was finally able to hold a coherent picture of the station's exterior in my head, doing this actually ruled and felt way cooler than fast travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Fast travel sucks, the way the game does it with EVA and the central elevator is fine.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
A thing that killed me but that I still really liked:

I set up a turret and left the area. Installed a buncha neuromods such that turrets will recognize me as a typhon. Went back through the door after exploring the whole area and was low on health and out of health packs. My own turret immediately murders me.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Fast travel would have killed the incredible sense of place on Talos deader than dead. Nothing ruins immersion faster than teleporting everywhere.

I thought the EVA solution was brilliant.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

scuz posted:

A thing that killed me but that I still really liked:

I set up a turret and left the area. Installed a buncha neuromods such that turrets will recognize me as a typhon. Went back through the door after exploring the whole area and was low on health and out of health packs. My own turret immediately murders me.

I also like that this doesn't happen with turrets you've created yourself, or ones you've hacked, only with turrets you don't own but have decided to trust.

the black husserl posted:

Fast travel would have killed the incredible sense of place on Talos deader than dead. Nothing ruins immersion faster than teleporting everywhere.

I think in some games some variants of fast travel make sense (The fast travel in the original two Fallout Games, for instance, fit the game fine)

I just can't see it working at all in a game like Prey.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

[...]

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a cool spoiler free guide, that tells me what I'm missing? Like a checklist for Dark Souls or something? I'm watching the Prey LP and I've unlocked the Elevator with only the pistol and the GLOO gun, I thought that was the whole thing, where you have to use your PSI-powers to get around. I want to start over and explore now, but I don't know what I'm missing, or when I can get things.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a cool spoiler free guide, that tells me what I'm missing? Like a checklist for Dark Souls or something? I'm watching the Prey LP and I've unlocked the Elevator with only the pistol and the GLOO gun, I thought that was the whole thing, where you have to use your PSI-powers to get around. I want to start over and explore now, but I don't know what I'm missing, or when I can get things.

Did you really unlock the elevator or did you just get to where elevator is in the lobby? Because it doesn't work the first time around and sends you on detour through four different areas until you can really unlock it, on this detour you get the psi powers and more guns.

Even if it's the first time you're in the lobby, you can find a shotgun and electric stungun before then.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pyromancer posted:

Did you really unlock the elevator or did you just get to where elevator is in the lobby? Because it doesn't work the first time around and sends you on detour through four different areas until you can really unlock it, on this detour you get the psi powers and more guns.

Even if it's the first time you're in the lobby, you can find a shotgun and electric stungun before then.

I've been through the arboretum.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You don't need to start over. Once you hit the arboretum pretty much the whole station is open, you can just go through each zone finding stuff. Once you go into deep storage you get railroaded for a bit, but after that it's all open.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nah, don't start over! Do a

Gadzuko posted:

You don't need to start over. Once you hit the arboretum pretty much the whole station is open, you can just go through each zone finding stuff. Once you go into deep storage you get railroaded for a bit, but after that it's all open.

...yeah do exactly that.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
As soon as you get to the Lobby for the first time, you can get every weapon except one, which you can get in Hardware labs. But if you've got Arboretum open, the whole station is yours to explore so just start roaming and see what you find.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

You've at least got the pistol, GLOO gun and psi-powers, right? Like I don't think it's possible for someone to get that far without at least having psi-powers available to purchase...

But yeah, man, wow. You must have skipped like... everything. All the quests, all the exploration, wow.

I would say go explore and make sure you find, in order of importance:
Stun Gun
Shotgun
Q-Beam
Ammo fabrication plans for each of the above
Neuromod Fabrication Plan
The nueromod unlock key (just make enough neuromods to get this quest)

Then start just exploring and poo poo, read computers and do your quests, because man, wow, how did you miss so much it seems impossible.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
All you need is the wrench. The rest is fluff.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

How does the wrench stack up if you go all in on that skill tree? I've picked up the Wrench Critical++ chipset every time I go through the game but I don't know if a guaranteed spawn for it exists.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

You've at least got the pistol, GLOO gun and psi-powers, right? Like I don't think it's possible for someone to get that far without at least having psi-powers available to purchase...

But yeah, man, wow. You must have skipped like... everything. All the quests, all the exploration, wow.

Stun Gun
Shotgun
Q-Beam

Then start just exploring and poo poo, read computers and do your quests, because man, wow, how did you miss so much it seems impossible.
As soon as I maxed-out the stun gun's damage, things got waaaaaaay easier. Ended the first playthrough with like 1,000 Q-Beam ammo cuz I never upgraded my lab tech ability :shrug:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rangpur posted:

How does the wrench stack up if you go all in on that skill tree? I've picked up the Wrench Critical++ chipset every time I go through the game but I don't know if a guaranteed spawn for it exists.
Against -paths and Weavers it's obviously inadequate, but it's pretty potent against everything as long as you use the right stun / suppression combos.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Get close enough to a Weaver after hucking a psychoshock grenade or shooting with the stun gun and go to town. Guaranteed it works every time, tested myself so far hasn't failed me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

scuz posted:

As soon as I maxed-out the stun gun's damage, things got waaaaaaay easier. Ended the first playthrough with like 1,000 Q-Beam ammo cuz I never upgraded my lab tech ability :shrug:

Stun gun is definitely the best weapon in the game, no doubt about that at all.

Q-beam is super fun if you fully upgrade it though, it's the closest thing the game has to a sniping weapon except shooting it makes the enemies explode in a ball of green that also hurts their neighbours.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rangpur posted:

Phantom Shift is probably the most useless power in the game, but if you combine it with the wrench you can usually zip over to most typhons and either stun lock them to death or outright smoosh them with a critical before they even get a chance to attack you.

Also, you can scan the decoy it leaves behind for an easter egg.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Phantom Shift, like a lot of the powers, really depends on how you use it. I found it was great when I remembered to use it in the rare combat instance where I was surprised or outclassed, it gets you out of view and leaves a dummy behind; and it's ace against turrets if you don't have the eletro psi power yet, it completely bamboozles them while you get behind and smack them with a wrench. I wouldn't call it a must-have but I definitely got a fair amount of use out of it, and certainly didn't regret investing in it.

And yeah, the scan of your decoy almost makes it worth it alone.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I don't know if this is a bug, but I never really used my pistol on previous runs and decided to try it out but I waited until I got the golden gun because I had read its slightly better. Thing is, when upgrading it, the stats don't match what the wiki says they should be and they are just the same as the normal silenced pistol in every way. Is this a bug?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Upgrading the golden pistol when you already have a normal one in your inventory is wonky. Try dropping both of them, saving, loading, and picking them up again. I can't tell you the exact procedure, but I had funny stats on it the first time I upgraded it too, but it sorted itself out at some point.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

ladron posted:

yeah, I meant like the door that leads to the other room, that you need a keycard for

AFAIK the only copy of that key is being held by one of the survivors there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is basically perfect. Thanks for sharing it for those of us who didn't take decoy.
:allears:

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Picked it up again after a couple months and it's still a blast.

Any news on DLC? I read it had been confirmed but the sources are kind of old.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Why is there coral loving everywhere. I'm concerned. And from where I'm at in the plot I'm assuming Morgan got injected with Typhon DNA and then got neuroremoval performed on him to ensure they could keep him in the experiment. And that's my 2p on this. I'm about to head back to the neuromod division to see what's up there.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

All these questions and more will be answered if you continue to play the game!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Why is there coral loving everywhere. I'm concerned. And from where I'm at in the plot I'm assuming Morgan got injected with Typhon DNA and then got neuroremoval performed on him to ensure they could keep him in the experiment. And that's my 2p on this. I'm about to head back to the neuromod division to see what's up there.

You used the wrong pronoun so by default that means that your theories are wrong

(Morgan will always be a she in my head-canon)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

Stun Gun
Shotgun
Q-Beam

I read this before I caught up on the LP and as I'm watching I'm just blown away at what I missed like...

You can craft Neuromods?? holy poo poo.

There's a loving Laser gun!?!?!

YOU CAN OPEN UP MORGAN'S SAFE?!?!?!?!?!??!111?

I'm basically doubling back now. Also what do you mean side quests?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Turtlicious posted:

YOU CAN OPEN UP MORGAN'S SAFE?!?!?!?!?!??!111?

please tell me you mean the one in his office behind the picture or whatever because otherwise I'm going to hurt myself

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ladron posted:

please tell me you mean the one in his office behind the picture or whatever because otherwise I'm going to hurt myself
My understanding is the big non-interactable one is if you preordered. That's where your preorder weapons show up.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Vib Rib posted:

My understanding is the big non-interactable one is if you preordered. That's where your preorder weapons show up.

aha, thanks

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I'm basically doubling back now. Also what do you mean side quests?

When you check your quest log, there are two sections. Main quests up top, side quests below. You collect side quests by reading emails, notes, talking to various survivors, finding hidden areas, etc. and so on. Lots of the sidequests lead to the best items in the game! like the double jump and qbeam (you can get many of these without the quests but the quests will make sure you find them. You have actually missed FOUR possible qbeams, assuming you made it to crew quarters.)

Good to remember: Most locked rooms and computer terminals can be accessed by exploring the aea they are in or using a level one ability. Very few require you to come back. Every lock should be seen as a challenge. Also keep an eye out for accessways that go into walls and ceilings, those will help you get around and find stuff you otherwise might not.

I cant remember where the first neuromod fabrication plans are but theres definitely a number of them around.

Also remember you can sprint in microgravity, on EVA and in Guts

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 12, 2017

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

You used the wrong pronoun so by default that means that your theories are wrong

(Morgan will always be a she in my head-canon)

Tbh, I just chose male because it's what I experienced the demo with. Next run I'm going with female Morgan to see how that goes.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Next run I'm going with female Morgan to see how that goes.

it'll be exactly the same, I don't even think there's any dialog changes

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ladron posted:

it'll be exactly the same, I don't even think there's any dialog changes

Lies: Your robot's voice changes!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Female Morgan has a purse on the counter in her apartment. That's probably the biggest difference.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I thought both performances were about on par in terms of quality?

This isn't a Mark Meer vs Jennifer Hale situation imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

GlyphGryph posted:

Lies: Your robot's voice changes!

true, true