Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't think I've ever searched for a babysitter - fetish or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Let's say we believe you; in that case you google searched somebody involved with the movie

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It's a solid niche. You should check it out

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pixel 2 sample camera shots, supposedly unedited https://photos.app.goo.gl/jdcvpsQtnE5iBALt2

Pretty amazing, if true.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Those IS videos are voodoo. I wonder what the original resolution of the stabilized motorcycle video is. Seems like a lot of peripheral information to toss to get it that smooth.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind that a 12mp sensor is significantly higher resolution than a 4k video. I doubt they are capturing over the whole sensor, but the OIS might get it to the point where they only have to capture at slightly higher than 4k for the EIS crop to not lose anything.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pixel 2 sample camera shots, supposedly unedited https://photos.app.goo.gl/jdcvpsQtnE5iBALt2

Pretty amazing, if true.

I've seen some of those in google's other marketing efforts (specifically the Verge's "first look" video) So I'd assume they're legit.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Keep in mind that a 12mp sensor is significantly higher resolution than a 4k video. I doubt they are capturing over the whole sensor, but the OIS might get it to the point where they only have to capture at slightly higher than 4k for the EIS crop to not lose anything.

It's not significantly higher. Depending on the aspect ratio of the sensor. A sample resolution of a 12mp sensor would be 4200x2800. 4k resolution is 3840x2160. It's a difference, but that is reasonably close in resolution. 10 mp would produce a resolution of 3648x2736 which means that the minimum size to produce 4k video would be a 12mp sensor. It's why the iphones couldn't do 4k until they upgraded the back camera to 12mp.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

We can see from those photo samples that the Pixel 2 still camera produces photos of 4032 × 3024. That gives you 864 pixels of leeway on the axis that's going to matter the most on stabilization.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wacky Delly posted:

I've seen some of those in google's other marketing efforts (specifically the Verge's "first look" video) So I'd assume they're legit.

It's still a selection of the best pictures they got and at best an indicator what you can get ideally. But if that's what you get with every picture or every fifth or fiftieth is the interesting part. Even my old 2013 Moto X was able to make some amazing shots (at least in the hands of my photo nerd sister), but was not something I would call a good camera.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
This is more a Google question than an Android question. I have a Google account on let's say email1@gmail.com and I want to update things to email2@gmail.com. Will that screw anything up? Is it possible to do this painlessly? I just bought a Pixel 2 on email1...Will having a phone set up for email2 but paid for on email1's account mess everything up?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I can't even begin to comprehend the horror of trying to migrate to a new Google account. If I had a decade-old GMail that was my name but misspelled, I'd change my name to the misspelling before I thought about trying to fix the GMail.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

n.. posted:

Something has really been irking me since the Google event. In it, they did something that I've NEVER EVER been able to make work:

"ok google, play discover weekly on spotify"

How in the hell do you make this work? It plays some random compilation called "discover weekly" or just some other random bullshit for me and not the actual discover weekly radio thing. My spotify account is linked to assistant and it's set as the default music player.

Works for me, it starts Spotify and plays the correct playlist. I've done nothing but having Spotify installed. But I don't have the Google Assistant I think (Oreo on 5X).

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

I can't even begin to comprehend the horror of trying to migrate to a new Google account. If I had a decade-old GMail that was my name but misspelled, I'd change my name to the misspelling before I thought about trying to fix the GMail.

This is why I'm legally WeedLord now

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This is more a Google question than an Android question. I have a Google account on let's say email1@gmail.com and I want to update things to email2@gmail.com. Will that screw anything up? Is it possible to do this painlessly? I just bought a Pixel 2 on email1...Will having a phone set up for email2 but paid for on email1's account mess everything up?

If you just bought it on email1, just sign in as email2, worst case is you factory reset it, then sign in as email2.

If you want to move all of your apps, history, everything, that's when you just go to the local court and do a name change.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Decius posted:

It's still a selection of the best pictures they got and at best an indicator what you can get ideally. But if that's what you get with every picture or every fifth or fiftieth is the interesting part. Even my old 2013 Moto X was able to make some amazing shots (at least in the hands of my photo nerd sister), but was not something I would call a good camera.

Dear Penthouse,
I never thought it would happen to me, but I once got an amazing photo with my Galaxy Nexus. True story.

Uthor

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Yeah, my wife changed her email to my last name after we got married. It's 100% absurd how hard it is. It's almost as if Google is a company overwhelmingly staffed by a group of people who rarely change their names.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, my wife changed her email to my last name after we got married. It's 100% absurd how hard it is. It's almost as if Google is a company overwhelmingly staffed by a group of people who rarely change their names.

Wait, are you saying it's even possible? I was under the impression it simply was not.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Painlessly? Not at all. You'll likely never be able to stop using email1 completely but you can get pretty close. Start by checking out Google Takeout to see what you can easily grab to transfer over. You can't transfer app purchases, but you can use Family Sharing to give email2 access to them (I'm pretty sure you can't transfer In App Purchases though). Note that while you can transfer all of your emails, you can't transfer your Hangouts chat history for some bizarre reason.

In the end, you can get pretty close to a full transfer, but it is a huge pain in the rear end. It might have gotten better since I did it a couple years ago, but I doubt it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

LastInLine posted:

Wait, are you saying it's even possible? I was under the impression it simply was not.

No, we tried for a long time, then just ended up just creating a new account. Even just transferring her stuff was pretty annoying, especially since she wanted to be signed in to both accounts for a while. It's a total clusterfuck, not helped by the fact that she uses a bunch of marginal services like Voice and Hangouts that Google doesn't care about anymore.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Some of the LG V30s have pretty bad screen uniformity, no doubt because Google forced them to put all the good panels in the Pixel!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgv30/comments/74rci1/my_verizon_v30_has_the_uneven_backlighting_issue/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Psst, the current pixel has HORRIFIC screen uniformity and you don't hear many people taking about it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bull3964 posted:

Psst, the current pixel has HORRIFIC screen uniformity and you don't hear many people taking about it.

Don't you have to turn all the lights off and make it display a uniform shade of grey to even notice it though?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mister Facetious posted:

Don't you have to turn all the lights off and make it display a uniform shade of grey to even notice it though?

Which is exactly what every image in that Reddit thread has done.

FYI, there's also a 20 page XDA thread talking about light bleed on the Galaxy Note 8 and a separate multi page thread where people are comparing the color shift across their display. There are only two manufacturers for OLED phone panels. OLED has never offered perfect uniformity. This is literally an example of the internet echo chamber. One review mentioned something that nearly every other mobile display has suffered from and now everyone is on a hunt to seek out the worst flaws.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 7, 2017

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Seems like an issue endemic to OLED phone screens. Here's a thread where people complain about it on the S8.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/686hfp/display_uniformity_issues_anyone_else_have_it

Some of the non-grey usage pictures on the V30 seemed noticeably off though.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I exchanged my Pixel due to that issue. It would appear as a faint red blotch when I was using my phone at night. Thought it might've been in my head until I opened an app with a grey background and it turned dark purple. My new Pixel's screen isn't 100% uniform, but it beats having a dark blotch in one spot.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!
Is the regular Pixel using a Samsung panel like the Pixel XL does? I've never noticed any colour uniformity issues on my Axon 7 (same panel as the Pixel XL), not that I've looked for them.

I also haven't noticed any screen burn in (I've had the phone about 7 months). Most of the reports of this I've heard are from on screen buttons of which I have none, so maybe that's why?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For reference, here's what my Pixel looks like. None of it is noticible in day to day use (aside from the burn in at the bottom which is visible on some screens.) This is a Samsung panel.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Pixel Buds are using BT4.2 and not BT5. :laffo:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rickets posted:

Is the regular Pixel using a Samsung panel like the Pixel XL does? I've never noticed any colour uniformity issues on my Axon 7 (same panel as the Pixel XL), not that I've looked for them.

I also haven't noticed any screen burn in (I've had the phone about 7 months). Most of the reports of this I've heard are from on screen buttons of which I have none, so maybe that's why?

99% of people will never notice any of these uniformity issues unless they go looking for them.

edit: I seem to recall there being a thread favorite aux-to-BT adapter thing. Am I dreaming? If not, which model was it?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 7, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Pixel Buds are using BT4.2 and not BT5. :laffo:

You know BT5 does nothing for audio headphones, right?
It's an extension to the low-energy spec. Bluetooth audio is still completely contained within bluetooth core, which hasn't changed.

Bluetooth 5 is about having better range to your wireless home control, which may at some point swap to BT instead of WiFi as a result.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got my Caseology Pixel 2 XL case already, it's about 2mm higher than my XL case and the same width.

This one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075RVL499

It's nice. 9am Saturday delivery though wtf

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Khablam posted:

You know BT5 does nothing for audio headphones, right?
The ability to offer higher range and bandwidth can conversely translate to better reliability near range. Especially when there's a lot of RF crap around. I've read plenty of complaints of flaky BT audio in areas with crowded 2.4GHz. The official FAQ of the Bluetooth 5 working group even specifically advertises higher reliability in that situation.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The ability to offer higher range and bandwidth can conversely translate to better reliability near range. Especially when there's a lot of RF crap around. I've read plenty of complaints of flaky BT audio in areas with crowded 2.4GHz. The official FAQ of the Bluetooth 5 working group even specifically advertises higher reliability in that situation.

There's a lot of misinformation around BT5, but none of these advantages are going to be applicable to audio over BT; it will use the older spec for it. The modes for higher range OR greater throughput relate to BLE.
If anything did use BT5 for audio transmission, it wouldn't be backwards compatible.

That's why there are a grand total of precisely zero BT5 headsets in existence.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Shere posted:

Seems like an issue endemic to OLED phone screens. Here's a thread where people complain about it on the S8.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/686hfp/display_uniformity_issues_anyone_else_have_it

Some of the non-grey usage pictures on the V30 seemed noticeably off though.

I think it's a problem with OLED screens in general. My laptop had it really badly when i first got it and the screen needed to be changed. If I put on a dark grey screen saver at maximum brightness I can still see it though. If you care about that you probably should wait until the technology matures some more.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Khablam posted:

There's a lot of misinformation around BT5, but none of these advantages are going to be applicable to audio over BT; it will use the older spec for it. The modes for higher range OR greater throughput relate to BLE.
If anything did use BT5 for audio transmission, it wouldn't be backwards compatible.

That's why there are a grand total of precisely zero BT5 headsets in existence.

Bigger number, though

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Got my Caseology Pixel 2 XL case already, it's about 2mm higher than my XL case and the same width.

This one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075RVL499

It's nice. 9am Saturday delivery though wtf

Nice. I'm waiting for my Spigen Neo Hybrid. Not sure when my XL 2 will arrive, I'm #39 at Rogers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

99% of people will never notice any of these uniformity issues unless they go looking for them.

edit: I seem to recall there being a thread favorite aux-to-BT adapter thing. Am I dreaming? If not, which model was it?

You mean for the car? I recently posted my favorite one in the recommend a phone thread. I'm on mobile or I'd link it. I can confirm it works great with the Pixel.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

You mean for the car? I recently posted my favorite one in the recommend a phone thread. I'm on mobile or I'd link it. I can confirm it works great with the Pixel.

Yeah, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nice. I'm waiting for my Spigen Neo Hybrid. Not sure when my XL 2 will arrive, I'm #39 at Rogers.

I'm switching back to Rogers from Bell and apparently get it on day 1 (after shipping from who knows where)

Day 1 is Oct 19th... right? I thought XL was coming out November 15, was that a false rumor?