Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3687/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter looks like FF5's GBA script has been backported to the SNES version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dr. Dos posted:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3687/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter looks like FF5's GBA script has been backported to the SNES version.

gently caress yes.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Dr. Dos posted:

Get in. I forget, did anyone ever backport FFT PSP script into the PS1 original? Gotta go check.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Monopthalmus posted:

Get in. I forget, did anyone ever backport FFT PSP script into the PS1 original? Gotta go check.

Totally, there's a patch you can apply.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
What I really want to see is Symphony of the Night's script applied to the Saturn version, but as far as I can tell, it never happened.

I wonder if it was an issue with the file formats or just because it was the Saturn.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

What I really want to see is Symphony of the Night's script applied to the Saturn version, but as far as I can tell, it never happened.

I wonder if it was an issue with the file formats or just because it was the Saturn.

I'd imagine tampering with a Saturn game's infrastructure is a fast path to pain and madness.

All (or almost all?) the Saturn version's features got carried into the secret PSP version of SotN (it's a hidden unlockable in Dracula Chronicles X). Although this one features a new English script and dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIQCrVUrZU&t=61s

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I think Maria plays differently in PSP SOTN compared to Saturn SOTN.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the PSP version's extras aren't taken from the Saturn port.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

univbee posted:

All (or almost all?) the Saturn version's features got carried into the secret PSP version of SotN (it's a hidden unlockable in Dracula Chronicles X). Although this one features a new English script and dialogue.

PSP version has the Maria boss fight (I can't remember if it's the same fight as the Saturn version's), but not the Underground Garden and Cursed Prison. It's really no big loss, because those areas were poorly designed, but there are at least a couple of neat weapons that remain exclusive to the Saturn version.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also Maria plays a lot different on the Saturn and PSP.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Rirse posted:

Also Maria plays a lot different on the Saturn and PSP.

Wasn't Maria super busted in the Saturn version

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nobody is missing out by not playing the Saturn port.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Dos posted:

So why is this literally impossible with FFVI?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

To clarify, I don't think it's literally impossible, but you'd have to do some serious work on it. It's literally impossible if you just use that FFVI editor program, which is fairly versatile but it's definitely possible to do even more if you are very good at SNES assembly, and I think these kinds of projects generally need that degree of work really.

I'm poking around and there may be partial successes like this one, not actually sure though: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2247/

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Anyone know why a model 1 Sega CD wouldn't power on if it's not the fuse I just replaced?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Quiet Feet posted:

Anyone know why a model 1 Sega CD wouldn't power on if it's not the fuse I just replaced?

Are you sure the power supply is fine? Check it with a multimeter? That was my problem with my model 2 Sega cd when replacing the fuse didn't work.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The transistor might also go bad. I haven't seen this, personally, but they sell replacements on Console5, so I assume it happens often enough.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Any of you guys have any experience with the Everdrive 64??? I cannot get mine to work no matter what I try.

It's a V2.5 bought from Krikzz and I'm using Sandisk Extreme cards SDHC formatted on a mac, I've tried using both Sandisk's Disk formatter program and OSX disk utility (El Capitan) this is all for a Pal N64.

I've asked on Krikzz forum but they aren't very active

All I want to do is play mario kart but right now I just have a £90 lump of useless

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What exactly happens when you try it? Does something show up on-screen? You're formatting the SD card to FAT32 right? Have you tried another SD card?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I am an idiot, turns out I had to open it up to flip a switch to make it PAL compatible

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Gaz2k21 posted:

Any of you guys have any experience with the Everdrive 64??? I cannot get mine to work no matter what I try.

It's a V2.5 bought from Krikzz and I'm using Sandisk Extreme cards SDHC formatted on a mac, I've tried using both Sandisk's Disk formatter program and OSX disk utility (El Capitan) this is all for a Pal N64.

I've asked on Krikzz forum but they aren't very active

All I want to do is play mario kart but right now I just have a £90 lump of useless

Is it formatted for fat32 and not some apple thing like ntfs or whatever?

Gaz2k21 posted:

I am an idiot, turns out I had to open it up to flip a switch to make it PAL compatible

Oh weird, didn't know about that.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Sir Tonk posted:

Is it formatted for fat32 and not some apple thing like ntfs or whatever?

I've spent the past few hours, trying to solve that as I know Disk Utility is a bit poo poo for formatting to Fat32

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Huh, neither did I.

Anothing thing I might as well mention is that the cart seems pretty strict about your ROM's being in true PAL (in your case) format. I'm in an NTSC zone and if I load a PAL ROM I think it actually tries to output a PAL signal (which nothing I have supports) so I get an "invalid signal" message but can hear the game. You might have to patch NTSC-only games so they will work for you.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

univbee posted:

Huh, neither did I.

Anothing thing I might as well mention is that the cart seems pretty strict about your ROM's being in true PAL (in your case) format. I'm in an NTSC zone and if I load a PAL ROM I think it actually tries to output a PAL signal (which nothing I have supports) so I get an "invalid signal" message but can hear the game. You might have to patch NTSC-only games so they will work for you.

I've tested a few so far, the only issue I'm having now is when I hit the console reset button it gives me a message saying no FAT system can be found after this I can no longer get the cart to boot just getting a message ssying it can't find the ED64 file

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What size card are you using? FAT32 support is a bit iffy on cards larger than 32 gigs. It may be worth finding a fit-for-purpose SD card format utility to see if that improves things.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

univbee posted:

What size card are you using? FAT32 support is a bit iffy on cards larger than 32 gigs. It may be worth finding a fit-for-purpose SD card format utility to see if that improves things.

Yeah it didn't like the 32gb tried a 16gb and it worked fine.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Gaz2k21 posted:

I've tested a few so far, the only issue I'm having now is when I hit the console reset button it gives me a message saying no FAT system can be found after this I can no longer get the cart to boot just getting a message ssying it can't find the ED64 file

I was having the FAT system error as well, setting the save type to None seemed to fix that. It does appear to still save games, but I've really only checked it with stuff I had saves on the card for.

I just shipped off my N64 to get an UltraHDMI installed, so once I get it back I can test it out some more.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

TVs Ian posted:

I was having the FAT system error as well, setting the save type to None seemed to fix that. It does appear to still save games, but I've really only checked it with stuff I had saves on the card for.

I just shipped off my N64 to get an UltraHDMI installed, so once I get it back I can test it out some more.

I am insanely jealous how much is that costing you???

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/pvm-2030-rgb-professional-monitor-/112590842558

If anyone is local to whatever town this is in WA here's a reasonable PVM deal for ebay.

TVs Ian posted:

Just got my RGB modded consoles back and my PVM is in the shop still :cry:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Gaz2k21 posted:

I am insanely jealous how much is that costing you???

Got the kit for $160-ish off a guy on Reddit, and the install is going to be $55-ish including return shipping.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dr. Dos posted:

Well I know what's getting put on to my SNES Classic first. Wonder if anyone is working on doing the same for FF4?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
You spoony bard!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/snes-classic-games/

Definitely agree on SkiFree.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Zonekeeper posted:

Well I know what's getting put on to my SNES Classic first. Wonder if anyone is working on doing the same for FF4?

Wait what you can load an SNES Classic

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
If y'all don't want to pay for a used CRT, here's one of the models still being produced:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/632864-REG/Ikegami_HTM1990RRM_HTM_1990_RRM_19_HDTV_SDTV.html

It's a bit expensive.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

TVs Ian posted:

Got the kit for $160-ish off a guy on Reddit, and the install is going to be $55-ish including return shipping.

That's a lot of cash man, let us know how it looks when you get it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I managed to stumble into a pre-order for a Framemeister from an import tax-free EU batch (should have it later this month I think) so now that I've started going down this rabbit hole I'm thinking of picking up an Everdrive for my Mega Drive ( :v: ) but I have a question, could I use it for playing US Genesis roms on my UK Mega Drive? If so would there be any problems playing them on a UK unit?

Emulation has spoiled me by playing these games at full speed and I'm not sure I could go back to playing them at 50hz.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Veotax posted:

I managed to stumble into a pre-order for a Framemeister from an import tax-free EU batch (should have it later this month I think) so now that I've started going down this rabbit hole I'm thinking of picking up an Everdrive for my Mega Drive ( :v: ) but I have a question, could I use it for playing US Genesis roms on my UK Mega Drive? If so would there be any problems playing them on a UK unit?

Emulation has spoiled me by playing these games at full speed and I'm not sure I could go back to playing them at 50hz.

Your Mega Drive would need to be region modded to play 60hz games.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Boo. How hard would something like that be to install if I haven't soldered in like 15 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

widespread posted:

Wait what you can load an SNES Classic

Yep, there's a tool called Hakchi2 that lets you load your own roms onto it. Was previously made for the NES Classic, the SNES Classic version has had a couple of release candidates appearing in the last day or two.

• Locked thread