Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Actually, I hope that programmer got fired and is now among many of Japan's rising homeless population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm at the point in FFX where I am maxing the sphere grid and like, grinding the stat spheres are fine (except for Magic because each battle takes forever) but Jesus Christ whose idea was it to make fortune spheres so impossibly hard to get? You get two per battle with that piece of poo poo Earth Eater, and you need ~420 of them?! Even using the reliable strategy of Tidus with loner using slice n dice over and over, the battles take several minutes. This is the dumbest poo poo.

Also a lot of the optional bosses can be wrecked by using attack reels/slice n dice with 255 str and it's kind of sad.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ultima sucks because gently caress you my own canon lore!

Active subterfuge between developers on the same game is hilarious and yet somehow fitting for all the dev problems this franchise has had in the main installments.

bizarre deformity posted:

I'm at the point in FFX where I am maxing the sphere grid and like, grinding the stat spheres are fine (except for Magic because each battle takes forever) but Jesus Christ whose idea was it to make fortune spheres so impossibly hard to get? You get two per battle with that piece of poo poo Earth Eater, and you need ~420 of them?! Even using the reliable strategy of Tidus with loner using slice n dice over and over, the battles take several minutes. This is the dumbest poo poo.

Also a lot of the optional bosses can be wrecked by using attack reels/slice n dice with 255 str and it's kind of sad.

From what I'm reading from reports online, maxing the sphere grid (assuming everything else is done) takes up the playtime to anywhere between 90 to 150 hours and possibly more. So yeah it sounds like it's gonna take a while.

And everything I've read/seen about the FFX optional bosses make them sound completely awful in an unfun way, so I wouldn't really feel bad about beating them with only a whimper of resistance.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://twitter.com/allisonzephyr/status/915036795934531584

Ultima sucks because gently caress you my own canon lore!

lol he probably knew what the bug was and knew it was too much effort to fix

or was too lazy to

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have heard that story before but not the bit about the source code being encrypted, that's amazing :allears:

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Ventana posted:

Active subterfuge between developers on the same game is hilarious and yet somehow fitting for all the dev problems this franchise has had in the main installments.

From what I'm reading from reports online, maxing the sphere grid (assuming everything else is done) takes up the playtime to anywhere between 90 to 150 hours and possibly more. So yeah it sounds like it's gonna take a while.

And everything I've read/seen about the FFX optional bosses make them sound completely awful in an unfun way, so I wouldn't really feel bad about beating them with only a whimper of resistance.

I was only interested in the platinum trophy, which thankfully doesn't require max luck, only that you use up every spot on the sphere grid. So I maxed every stat except luck, and Yojimboed Dark Bahamut, Penance and a few other bosses that were too annoying to fight "legit". I'm not sure if I was really lucky or they changed something with Yojimbo in the HD remaster, because Zanmato wasn't that hard to get. Usually I'd pay 32k or 64k and it only took a few tries (restart on failure so Yojimbo's death doesn't count against me).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know exactly when the Xbox Live sale on FFXV ends? I have my quarterly bonus check coming from work on Tuesday, and I'd kinda like to be able to pick up XV half off...but it says it ends "6 days from now" with no real indicator on what time. If it rolls off at midnight, I won't have my check, but if it runs til noon or whatever, I should be fine.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't Nazir the programmer for FF2? His story is kind of interesting in that he's an Iranian American who lived in Japan not knowing much Japanese. Halfway through programming one of the NES Final Fantasies his visa expired and he did the rest of the programming of the game in America with a team that came over from Japan with him.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

VegasShirtGuy posted:

I was only interested in the platinum trophy, which thankfully doesn't require max luck, only that you use up every spot on the sphere grid. So I maxed every stat except luck, and Yojimboed Dark Bahamut, Penance and a few other bosses that were too annoying to fight "legit". I'm not sure if I was really lucky or they changed something with Yojimbo in the HD remaster, because Zanmato wasn't that hard to get. Usually I'd pay 32k or 64k and it only took a few tries (restart on failure so Yojimbo's death doesn't count against me).

Maxing luck is required to beat them the legit way. I know that's all you need for the platinum trophy but I don't want to be forced to use Yojimbo enough that he likes me or however the mechanic works.

Edit: I've managed to get away with never grinding for gil, and I want to keep it that way!

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

seiferguy posted:

Wasn't Nazir the programmer for FF2? His story is kind of interesting in that he's an Iranian American who lived in Japan not knowing much Japanese. Halfway through programming one of the NES Final Fantasies his visa expired and he did the rest of the programming of the game in America with a team that came over from Japan with him.

FFII had two other programmers contributing as well, including one who left for SEGA after shipping the game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
That dude is an rear end in a top hat for not fixing that bug but in the specific context of how grimdark FF2 is it really is a good explanation. All that work for nothing. It's perfect.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Cloud of Darkness confirmed for Dissidia NT. Does anyone know what kind of dialect or style of speaking she's using?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5mQy_QsYkU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Elephant Ambush posted:

That dude is an rear end in a top hat for not fixing that bug but in the specific context of how grimdark FF2 is it really is a good explanation. All that work for nothing. It's perfect.

"All that work" is an understatement. Between fetch quests and other fetch quests for those fetch quests, the quest for Ultima takes up a third of all the game's dungeons.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The reward is the journey along the way (because that's where you get all your actual useful poo poo and where you level up your good spells).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The real reward is the monster closets you stumbled into along the way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The real reward is all the toads you made along the way.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Renoistic posted:

Cloud of Darkness confirmed for Dissidia NT. Does anyone know what kind of dialect or style of speaking she's using?

Cloud of Darkness will probably be the only character made better by this shittier Dissidia abomination, if only because she was the lowest of low tier characters in Dissidia (I think Laguna might have been lower than her sometimes, but I don't remember).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

The reward is the journey along the way (because that's where you get all your actual useful poo poo and where you level up your good spells).

the true ultima is the friends you made who then died within like 10 minutes of joining the party along the way

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Renoistic posted:

Uhhh... Japanese?

Also why the hell doesn't it have green skin?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Honestly I loved a lot about FF2. Except for the battle / progression system. And being that it's 50% of the game, it's not very good!

At least the GBA version cleaned up a lot of the mess and made the game somewhat playable.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Uhhh... Japanese?

She definitely sounds like she's either talking super formally or like she's doing old theater acting or something.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It's old-timey and imperative, so I guess the best way I could describe it would be "queenly?" The sort of affect that a localizer would add the royal plural to.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Elephant Ambush posted:

quote:

In Yoshitaka Amano's concept art of it and in Dissidia Final Fantasy, the Cloud of Darkness takes the form of a shapely woman wearing a red and black cape with the rest of its body covered in red and black markings. It has the red heart-shaped mark on its forehead, and has long silver hair. It has only two tentacles, emerging from its waist.

They kinda had to change the design to make her work as a Famicom sprite.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
So I've never played FFV and picked up the GBA version on a whim. Anything I need to know going in?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

TL posted:

So I've never played FFV and picked up the GBA version on a whim. Anything I need to know going in?

There are twelve legendary weapons. They're weapons, they're legendary, and there are even twelve of them!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TL posted:

It's worth learning all the blue magic.

There is a small amount of missable content. You should try to play every piano you come across.

Virtually every enemy in the game has a way to kill it quickly; this will be more important as you approach the end of the game and enemies start getting lots of HP.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bongo Bill posted:

It's worth learning all the blue magic.
God, no.

...but then again there are eight good ones and four marginal ones which is a higher hit rate than any other game with Blue Magic, I think. And some of them are some of the ones that are worst to get, yeah.

(My list is White Wind, Mighty Guard, L2 Old, L5 Death, Aero/ra/ga, Toad Song, and Flamethrower, plus maybes of Aqua Rake, Death Claw, Flash, Goblin Punch)

Also, there's no penalty for running from everything except that it powers up the best weapon in the game. You don't lose gil, unlike in 4 and 6, and bosses have all kinds of status weaknesses or specific strategies you can use so you don't need raw levels for anything... except for the very final boss having a target-all no-element magic-damage attack that does about 2k if you can't cast Shell.

There's still a discord for the Four Job Fiesta if you dig up that thread and want help, we play through the game multiple times a year with our hands metaphorically behind our backs so everything is known.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Basically the only things you need to know about ffv are covered by having played any other class-based jrpg so just loving play it dude

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
You don't lose Gil from running in 6. I think 4 was the only game that did that?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

DACK FAYDEN posted:

God, no.

...but then again there are eight good ones and four marginal ones which is a higher hit rate than any other game with Blue Magic, I think. And some of them are some of the ones that are worst to get, yeah.

(My list is White Wind, Mighty Guard, L2 Old, L5 Death, Aero/ra/ga, Toad Song, and Flamethrower, plus maybes of Aqua Rake, Death Claw, Flash, Goblin Punch)

Also, there's no penalty for running from everything except that it powers up the best weapon in the game. You don't lose gil, unlike in 4 and 6, and bosses have all kinds of status weaknesses or specific strategies you can use so you don't need raw levels for anything... except for the very final boss having a target-all no-element magic-damage attack that does about 2k if you can't cast Shell.

There's still a discord for the Four Job Fiesta if you dig up that thread and want help, we play through the game multiple times a year with our hands metaphorically behind our backs so everything is known.

Bloodsucker is extremely good in Fiesta runs at the very least

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pick jobs you like and want to use. Don't get bogged down by feeling you have to level every single job, as you can beat the game with any combination. Likewise, every job is useful in their own way, though some are more useful than others. Even the default class is good because it gets stats and passive abilities from every job that character has mastered, plus can equip all weapons and armor.

Also debuffs are actually useful in this game. Lots of bosses are vulnerable to lots of various status effects, including instant death, so if you're struggling with a boss see what they're vulnerable to.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Honestly I loved a lot about FF2. Except for the battle / progression system. And being that it's 50% of the game, it's not very good!

At least the GBA version cleaned up a lot of the mess and made the game somewhat playable.

FF2 GBA is one of my favorite games, i even did a solo Maria run once in it (it was not hard, like at all)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Do keep in mind that, if a character gets to max level in a job, that job's passive abilities get automatically applied to that character if they are a Freelancer. For example, Ninjas can dual wield by default, so if you master ninja that character can now dual wield as a freelancer by default.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

bizarre deformity posted:

Do keep in mind that, if a character gets to max level in a job, that job's passive abilities get automatically applied to that character if they are a Freelancer. For example, Ninjas can dual wield by default, so if you master ninja that character can now dual wield as a freelancer by default.

And to Mime right? And A few passives don't transfer obviously. Auto-berserk isn't something you'll have to worry about if you master Berserker.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
FF7 Remake just won't be the same

edit: oh and of course the next line

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And to Mime right? And A few passives don't transfer obviously. Auto-berserk isn't something you'll have to worry about if you master Berserker.

Correct

Also the Equip Weapon/Shield/Ribbon passives, which isn't a big deal for Freelancers because they can equip anything already, but is a huge deal for Mimes bc they have a lovely equipment selection (which is the main reason people ultimately prefer Freelancer to Mime despite the latter having an extra open slot)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

There is a small amount of missable content. You should try to play every piano you come across.
pianos aren't missable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

pianos aren't missable.

I thought for sure there was one in one of the towns that gets sucked into the void.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
None of the pianos are missable, but two or three of the other Bard songs are, along with a couple Summons and maybe a couple other spells (though I think all the lootable Black/White spells can be purchased or something at the end).

Otherwise it's just gear stuff and if you're playing a version with it, Bestiary entries. The only ones I can think of that you'd actually equip in the endgame or care about for reasons other than completion are the Genji set (stealing from Gilgamesh)

Maybe some Blue spells? But I feel like between Azulmagia and Control/Confuse shenanigans you can get all of them at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there some kind of item glitch in FFX? I was fighting the Iron Giant species creation monster, and swapped power spheres with X-potions so they would be first in my inventory to mix into a drag grenade. Basically every battle went Rikku used mix, dies and is revived via auto-Phoenix, Wakka/Tidus use their overdrives and quick hit and he dies. For some reason, my stock of X-potions went down from like 50 to 10 even though none of my characters used one in any of the battles via auto-potion because their HP never got critical. What the hell?

Edit: the fact that bribe can miss is the dumbest thing ever