Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

superheroes are inherently fascist

I'm watching watchmen right now and I didn't catch this until now "comedian was practically a nazi." Also, rorschach is a conservative. Slutshaming and homophobic.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
rorschach is my fav comic character and I'm glad he got exploded

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Idgi, wat is this? What do you think I did wrong

Wow, their reversal on this after all that effort is really interesting https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.www.complex.com/pop-culture/2017/10/marvel-cancels-event-with-northrop-grumman-comic-con

They got grossed out lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
rorschach is a straight up serial killer

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

rorschach is a straight up serial killer

He Ted Cruz??!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I really like dr manhattan, but rorschach is just so rotten

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I finished reading the southern reach books, so dr manhattan is still my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4vfhrDylUQ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they really should have drawn that scene out more. at least put some silence in the middle, between the intrinsic field separator accident and the first time he starts to reappear. give the story time to breathe.

watchmen would have done better as a miniseries i think

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the southern reach trilogy is dope

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

they really should have drawn that scene out more. at least put some silence in the middle, between the intrinsic field separator accident and the first time he starts to reappear. give the story time to breathe.

Good news. Posted 10 hours ago, found when I did s search for doomsday clock
https://www.google.com/amp/ew.com/books/2017/10/06/dc-comics-watchmen-doomsday-clock/amp/

There's the motion comic which is 5 hours. The directors cut is 3. There wasn't a lot of room left to let things breath. I think the movie is real good.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ok I know this is going to be controversial but all british media is overrated including peep show, watchmen, HHGTG, and the beatles.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Ok I know this is going to be controversial but all british media is overrated including peep show, watchmen, HHGTG, and the beatles.

watchmen is the only superhero thing I like

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sure

But I like it so I don't even think saying it's overrated has meaning.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the southern reach is super rad too

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh except british rap which for some reason is severely underrated.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

watchmen owns

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
read all three southern reach books. I liked authority best I think

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Salt Fish posted:

peep show is the best sitcom ever made imo

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Sombrerotron posted:

i still have a roland td-7 set stored away for Reasons (not real good ones tho)

should dig it up again and see if it still works, it's cool retro tech by now

I would kill for a td7, my alesis dm6 is fairly mediocre and has weird snare hi-hat crosstalk.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Supposedly HBO is making Watchmen into a series, maybe it'll be more faithful than the movie

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

does anyone in yospos want to play sid meier alpha centauri e-mail\live game style with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZxKDaOBMKc

id be up for play by e-mail as i love smac and it would suit my inconsistent broke brain.

also smac pro-tip that im sure i've posted before: add DirectDraw=0 to Alpha Centauri.Ini in the game's install folder like below. that makes it display/scale properly on today's modern computer systems (your screen will bug the gently caress out though when it plays the secret project vids that in 640x480):

[PREFERENCES]
ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1
[Alpha Centauri]
DirectDraw=0
ds3d=1
eax=1

tyrian rules

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Salt Fish posted:

does this also apply to games because bullfrog made some rad as hex stuff in the '90s

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TOOT BOOT posted:

Supposedly HBO is making Watchmen into a series, maybe it'll be more faithful than the movie

the movie was surprisingly faithful imo. esp for a two hour thing. my problem is zac snyder doesn't have any talent.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Watchmen movie was great until the opening credits finished.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Salt Fish posted:

houdini and doyle was pretty awesome but got shitcanned everything i like from BTV gets shitcanned

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

houdini and doyle was pretty awesome but got shitcanned everything i like from BTV gets shitcanned

dirk gently is coming back tho :toot:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Wtf happened to zdr?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

Wtf happened to zdr?

as lowtax says, he hosed up deleting his posts or something. who knows

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
nah there was a crash or something and poo poo went haywire

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Furia posted:

nah there was a crash or something and poo poo went haywire

The power went off at the dc and the only effect was all of ZDRs posts deleted themselves.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
i know right? it was loving weird

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

people who ask keep getting banned too, weird technical glitch.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dodoman posted:

Wtf happened to zdr?

cascading banned?

dunno

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://twitter.com/Camelworks/status/915890611969966080/photo/1

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

still better than a meeting with harvey weinstein

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Watchmen movie was great until the opening credits finished.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the fact they cut out the 'first wave' of watchmen entirely from the movie basically ruins it and turns it into another run of the mill superhero movie because that part of the comic was critical to understanding the 'second wave' watchmen

which i can't really fault the director for trying because how the hell would you fit all of that into a long rear end movie. they shouldn't have even tried. single-season miniseries will be a much better format

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The main thing that griped me about Watchmen the move was the fact that it totally missed the reason for the 'end of the world' denouement - the squid (I don't know if they could have made it work on screen but still) is meant to be completely outré and bring together humanity against a possible common foe, Doc Manhattan is an American Asset, just saying oops he's gone rogue sorry our bad is not going to defuse international tensions like at all.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

yer in luck http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/20/watchmen-tv-series-hbo-damon-lindelof/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the movie was surprisingly faithful imo. esp for a two hour thing. my problem is zac snyder doesn't have any talent.
it was so weird: a bad movie by a bad director that was straining really hard to be a good movie and faithful to the source material. there was nothing cynical or hackish or corporate-driven about it. snyder tried his hardest to make a great film and do right by the original story, he just lacked the talent and ability to pull it off. an interesting, unusual failure

• Locked thread