Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
PBJ is a cadet, with only a scant few weeks of crash-course training on a local Russian's "borrowed" commuter plane.

This is what happens when you source your pilots from Craigslist. Utter nugget trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Davin Valkri posted:

It's weird. Unicorn is technically one of the original Hired Goons--he's been in the company since Theater 1, Mission 1, and is still airborne (assuming he survives Ultima Weapon, of course! :pray:). Does that justify giving him an Ace skill level or not?

Your character probably has more combat hours than some airforces, so I'd say it does.

edit: Like if you really want a good baseline other than the old standard of shooting down five enemies, with our operational hours and combat, I personally think anyone who flies about two theaters' worth of sorties should be a good candidate for Ace, if you must approach it like some kind of grinding mmo. Which is valid because we have a confirmed gunpod A2A kill on BVR platforms.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 7, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember if Sponsored by Vitamin Water has a preferred plane or if he's even flying at the moment, but since he's been bumped down to a novice intern he shouldn't be picky.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Since Peeping Tom is modeled after the great captain Flashheart he can only (annoyingly) be an ace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC3sURgYxng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWRBlhzjAcc

Even if he hasn't got a plane yet.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 7, 2017

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

CourValant posted:

How exactly does hidden cargo compartments of Colombian Pure help us when we've bitten off more than we can chew?

Well when you're the last remnants of a wanted criminal paramilitary group on the run from the law there are worse places you can be than on a boat that's hard to trace and registered with a infamously corrupt nation and loaded with something that is easy to hide and has an insane value per kg, though cocaine or LSD might be a better option.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/108/

Just saying.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 7, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Dropbear is definitely regular, might make veteran with more completed missions.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hot drat I didn't realize this was going again. Holy poo poo that last mission but it got me within spitting distance of a pair of wings so that's something.

Tonguebath is definitely the best, an ace, just beautiful flying skills

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
RedDan is a regular kind of commie pilot

emormu
Jan 16, 2012
While Nesoberi was able to fly well enough in the last mission, needing to be talked through how to fire missiles while on-the-job shows that I would be a cadet.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Space Case has flown in literally every single mission except the first one (when we didn't own his plane), and has a gun kill (two, even?), I think that's worthy of Ace status. If for no other reason than flying all but one mission means I have more combat time than about half the air forces in Europe combined.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Davin Valkri is absolutely an Ace, especially as you're the very first person to sign on for the Hired Goons.

Should the Croctopus Admiral get his flagship any and all Naval command decisions will fall to Grey Hunter.

And for something totally different...

As I go through the skill level requests I'm realizing that we have a shitload of pilots still waiting. Two things, one, I didn't expect as many people to sign on, and two, I figured more people would die. In a nutshell I'm thinking on the best way to spread the love. For example Pilot PBJ is number 186 on the pilot roster. But on the flip side I don't want to kick pilots out of planes.

Here's my current thought. I'm going to make a list of fighter pilots, ground attack pilots, combat support pilots, and "other" pilots. Then at the start of the mission I'll draft pilots randomly from those lists. None of this would happen until the next theater.

Ultima Weapon is loaded and all sides are set. I need to start testing scripts but most of the grunt work is done.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
The obvious answer is that we need to start losing more planes

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
As another old hand, I'd think Veteran at the least. Those heady days seem so long ago now. :allears:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

Here's my current thought. I'm going to make a list of fighter pilots, ground attack pilots, combat support pilots, and "other" pilots. Then at the start of the mission I'll draft pilots randomly from those lists. None of this would happen until the next theater.

If you want to go random, maybe have us each roll for a pilot slot every mission with something like Orokos? (its free)

That way you get 1) forum engagement and 2) an idea of who is still active in the thread?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CourValant posted:

If you want to go random, maybe have us each roll for a pilot slot every mission with something like Orokos? (its free)

That way you get 1) forum engagement and 2) an idea of who is still active in the thread?

Hmm, maybe we'll do a hybrid of people drafting and totally random. That way we can get some of the lurkers involved. Do a 50/50 split, half goes to active folks who roll for it in Orokos and the other half goes to randoms. I'm still thinking on it...

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I for one cannot wait to see the complete and utter trainwreck Davin’s plan will end up being beautiful carnage Ultima Weapon will reap.

One thing’s for sure, it’s gonna be magical.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

Hmm, maybe we'll do a hybrid of people drafting and totally random. That way we can get some of the lurkers involved. Do a 50/50 split, half goes to active folks who roll for it in Orokos and the other half goes to randoms. I'm still thinking on it...

Either way, I trust you to be a kind God, who rather demand that we stand, only require that we kneel. :clint:

Also, since you're now using proficiency, will you be implementing an XP / progression system?

***** Edit *****

What's the difference between us rolling for it and you rolling for it? Its both random, just one is having us involved, and the other is having it behind the 'screen'.

Not being a jerk, just honestly wondering that the difference is in the mechanic from your point of view?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CourValant posted:

Either way, I trust you to be a kind God, who rather demand that we stand, only require that we kneel. :clint:

Also, since you're now using proficiency, will you be implementing an XP / progression system?

***** Edit *****

What's the difference between us rolling for it and you rolling for it? Its both random, just one is having us involved, and the other is having it behind the 'screen'.

Not being a jerk, just honestly wondering that the difference is in the mechanic from your point of view?

I'd like to do an XP system but CMANO doesn't track who actually killed what. So when a dozen Meteors go out into the sky I have no idea who fired the missile that killed something. In certain occasions, like the A2A gunpod kill it was easy to determine, but in others it'll be impossible. I'm open to the idea, but not sure how to do it so it's not an incredible pain in the rear end.

I'm open to either really. Me doing it allows it to happen quicker. I'll have to think of a good way for people to either throw their name in a pool, or pick numbers or something. I just don't want to see the thread devolve into plane trading, number theory, bote lobby, and Stalinist air wing conversation. Just kidding, I don't mind bote lobby.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm easy, take good care of me, thread dad, and put me in harm's way often.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Yooper posted:

I'd like to do an XP system but CMANO doesn't track who actually killed what. So when a dozen Meteors go out into the sky I have no idea who fired the missile that killed something. In certain occasions, like the A2A gunpod kill it was easy to determine, but in others it'll be impossible. I'm open to the idea, but not sure how to do it so it's not an incredible pain in the rear end.

I'm open to either really. Me doing it allows it to happen quicker. I'll have to think of a good way for people to either throw their name in a pool, or pick numbers or something. I just don't want to see the thread devolve into plane trading, number theory, bote lobby, and Stalinist air wing conversation. Just kidding, I don't mind bote lobby.

You might just have to go with total flight time then. Doesn't sound like there are any other accurate ways to determine an increase in skill.

I'd play it by ear though; like Tourist is a Vet and not an Ace because all he's done is be a missile magnet while the actual attack planes get the job done.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

I just don't want to see the thread devolve into plane trading, number theory, bote lobby, and Stalinist air wing conversation. Just kidding, I don't mind bote lobby.

I can understand that, last thing we need to folks trading pilot slots and the associated book-keeping.

Rather than indulge in another Bote Lobby derail this coming week before the Mission next weekend, can we instead have a meaningful discussion on how to forceably make you accept our beer(s) and or pizza(s)?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Can we get a link to the pilot list in the op? I know I signed up but I can't remember the details

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
It's in the second post, top of the assets list.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I would be fine with the pilots and pilot names just staying a cool little gimmick instead of becoming a whole system to keep track of on top of everything else you're doing for the LP. And I like the pilot names persisting, like aw yeah it's Big Pig again. If that means my getting a plane takes place in the far future that's nbd as far as I'm concerned at least.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Yooper, I don't think you really need to worry about people waiting in line for a pilot chance. If you haven't read PoptartsNinja's Battletech LP (you should, but it's huge so get some snacks) there is a waiting list to be a pilot that takes years to get through. I think it took three years for me to get a chance as a pilot, and other people waited as long or longer. It's shortened up a bit now but still regularly gets new additions and he's finally able to recycle a few vets, but the thread is six and a half years old.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 8, 2017

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I would assume that Dreamsicle would be a Cadet since he flew mainly transport planes. I imagine after 2 operations in a combat plane it would go up to regular.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

I would be fine with the pilots and pilot names just staying a cool little gimmick instead of becoming a whole system to keep track of on top of everything else you're doing for the LP. And I like the pilot names persisting, like aw yeah it's Big Pig again. If that means my getting a plane takes place in the far future that's nbd as far as I'm concerned at least.

Olothreutes posted:

Yooper, I don't think you really need to worry about people waiting in line for a pilot chance. If you haven't read PoptartsNinja's Battletech LP (you should, but it's huge so get some snacks) there is a waiting list to be a pilot that takes years to get through. I think it took three years for me to get a chance as a pilot, and other people waited as long or longer. It's shortened up a bit now but still regularly gets new additions and he's finally able to recycle a few vets, but the thread is six and a half years old.

Skill level is pretty easy to deal with. More RPG'ish stuff would require me scripting it and for now it's on the distant horizon. I do love me that Battletech Thread. I know I've gotten attached to certain pilots in certain roles. Hopefully we can work more pilots in as the theater goes on. I'm debating more planes, less sophistication, but keep them functioning in wings. Instead of 8 Tornado's each with a specific mission maybe limit it to a wing of 4 or some such. While super-modern planes are fun and powerful, sometimes second rate stuff is just as much fun.

Nothing set in stone yet, just feeling everyone out.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I will forever stand by my preference for buying a giant pile of ground-attack crap from the 70s so that we can send up 24 Intruders at once or whatever. Plenty of pilot seats that way! Plus they can't dodge for poo poo so that'd rotate through pilots faster too :v: Yeah you'd still need some decent modern ASFs to cover them but we had the whole "drop a single bomb on a specific target" thing solved decades ago, mudmovers don't have to be shiny and new.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

power crystals posted:

I will forever stand by my preference for buying a giant pile of ground-attack crap from the 70s so that we can send up 24 Intruders at once or whatever. Plenty of pilot seats that way! Plus they can't dodge for poo poo so that'd rotate through pilots faster too :v: Yeah you'd still need some decent modern ASFs to cover them but we had the whole "drop a single bomb on a specific target" thing solved decades ago, mudmovers don't have to be shiny and new.

It might be because I just found an old DVD of Flight of the Intruder at a flea market today, but I'd be down with this plan.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

HereticMIND posted:

I for one cannot wait to see the complete and utter trainwreck Davin’s plan will end up being beautiful carnage Ultima Weapon will reap.

One thing’s for sure, it’s gonna be magical.

You think it's a trainwreck? :ohdear:

Ah, Yooper, should I write up an actual briefing thing to include the changes discussed in discord (Kirov exclusion zone, etc.)? Or do you want me to just edit that back into the plan?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

Ah, Yooper, should I write up an actual briefing thing to include the changes discussed in discord (Kirov exclusion zone, etc.)? Or do you want me to just edit that back into the plan?

I was working on the scenario when I asked so I think I got it. But, you know, three Yooper Ales later and anything goes.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

But, you know, three Yooper Ales later and anything goes.

Seriously, let us buy you beer.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

If it’s any consolation, it’s gonna be the most beautiful trainwreck ever devised in HG history.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Well according to the random number generator, once Kelpie gets in a plane, he'll be a Regular

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

HereticMIND posted:

If it’s any consolation, it’s gonna be the most beautiful trainwreck ever devised in HG history.

That's a hell of a thing to live up to given Operation Grognard, Operation Half-rear end, Operation History Maker, Operation Half-rear end II...

We've had poo poo go hilariously wrong in a lot of ops thus far.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dr. Snark posted:

That's a hell of a thing to live up to given Operation Grognard, Operation Half-rear end, Operation History Maker, Operation Half-rear end II...

We've had poo poo go hilariously wrong in a lot of ops thus far.

Winning is winning okay :colbert:

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Yooper posted:

Just kidding, I don't mind bote lobby.

drat right you don't mind bote lobby.

Also, I suspect Sabotage is a Regular, once he actually gets up there.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

No, more of a shipwreck :v:

Seriously though, Ultima's a good plan (wouldn't have won the vote if it wasn't) but it's a good plan that's going to have to deal with a Russian murderbote battlegroup. There will be chaos, confusion and hilarious mistakes.
(I'm going to laugh myself unconscious if the Kirov turns out to be another Mamba: Disabled by plot before we have to deal with it.)

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 8, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yooper posted:

I just discovered I can set proficiency per plane.

:psyduck:

So far all of Hired Goons have been considered "Ace". This means we react quicker to incoming fire and other magical stuff.

Since good is boring I thought I'd leave it up to you guys. Is your Hired Goons Avatar Pilot borderline mentally handicapped? Then oh boy! Either post here, or PM me on Discord if you'd like it to be a surprise.

Your choices are :
Novice
Cadet
Regular
Veteran
Ace

Further down the road I'd like to make a fight-or-flee system where we could work traits into it. But that's in the distant future.

Is there no "drunk" setting? drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

glynnenstein posted:

Is there no "drunk" setting? drat.

Thats "manual control".