Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Memento posted:

I thought it was really neat that the scenes in the new Bladerunner that are dust-blasted reddish hellscapes are based on the 2009 Australian dust storm.

Australia:

Blade Runner:

Las Vegas in the film looked inspired a helluva lot by that Giger painting of all the monuments in a long row.

Still trying to figure out if there is any significance to K's ringtone being Peter and the Wolf

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Las Vegas in the film looked inspired a helluva lot by that Giger painting of all the monuments in a long row.

Still trying to figure out if there is any significance to K's ringtone being Peter and the Wolf

Maybe this is the same one you're talking about, but it reminded me more of Beksinski's stuff:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Memento posted:

I thought it was really neat that the scenes in the new Bladerunner that are dust-blasted reddish hellscapes are based on the 2009 Australian dust storm.

Australia:

Blade Runner:

The scenes in Vegas made me thing of Fallout tbh...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Patattack posted:

Maybe this is the same one you're talking about, but it reminded me more of Beksinski's stuff:

Yeah that'd be the one I was thinking of. Got him mixed up with Giger I guess. Would explain why I couldn't find it on Google.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah that'd be the one I was thinking of. Got him mixed up with Giger I guess. Would explain why I couldn't find it on Google.

The way I remember the difference between the two is Beksinski has creepy images, Giger has creepy images with dicks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember that dust storm in Adelaide. It was like the end of the world.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's played on strings, so it represents Peter. Peter hunts and captures the Wolf. I think that's pretty much it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Arcsquad12 posted:

Possibly but The way the prostitute replicant smiles and says "Oh, you don't like real girls" when it rings inside of his coat makes me think it's the equivalent of the Samsung ringtone. Just the default nobody changes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Possibly but The way the prostitute replicant smiles and says "Oh, you don't like real girls" when it rings inside of his coat makes me think it's the equivalent of the Samsung ringtone. Just the default nobody changes

Yeah it was pretty clearly supposed to be the default Joi notification because Luv recognizes it too.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I really loved Joi in the film. She's like a spiritualized descendant of Samantha from Her.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Maybe accidental, but Disney's Princess and the Frog has one that I just noticed looking up the voodoo loa (Baron Samedi seems cool, it's Baron Kriminel you have to look out for) - Charlotte LeBouf, or Lottie.

Charlotte is a Voodoo Loa as well as Baron Samedi, it's possible the movie character was named that on purpose: http://voodoo.101projects101days.com/loa/mademoiselle-charlotte/

She is the Loa who represents white woman, big fan of law and tradition, fitting for a character from old money, and primary colour is rose (Charlotte's pink dress is likely a coincidence, but an interesting one)

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Deceitful Penguin posted:

But not all is lost, because one of the as ballerinas flashes "Made in the USSR" in English and Russian, so not all hope is lost
Also Atari and Pan Am being relevant enough to advertise in public.

*shudder*

Hellscape.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Android Apocalypse posted:

I really loved Joi in the film. She's like a spiritualized descendant of Samantha from Her.

They somehow made a relationship with an AI hologram feel relatable and sympathetic. I was impressed how willing i was to go along with it.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
There's a few bits from The Way of the Gun that I really liked. I guess it's not particularly subtle since they say it right out, but since it's in Spanish with no subtitles it could be considered sly.

When Longbaugh is giving ransom instructions, he tells them to send the doctor south over the border with the money, and that he'll come to a small lovely town called Salsipuedes "sal si puedes" == "get out if you can" and to bring the money to the Nacio Madre Hotel 'nacio madre', something like 'birth mother', not particularly subtle in a movie about kidnapping and ransoming a pregnant girl, but again if you don't speak Spanish....

My favorite bit is when Sarno's other bagman friend and the bodyguards arrive at the hotel at the same time to find Robin wandering out in the parking lot, just as the Mexican cops show up and pull out their guns and tell everyone to put their hands on the car. Abner (the bagman) is laughing at the bodyguards getting arrested but the cops tell him (in Spanish):
Cop: You too.
Abner: Me too!?
Cop: Hands on the car.
Abner: Es verdad? ('Is that the truth', probably supposed to be 'are you serious?' in clunky Spanish)
Cop: La verdad la tengo yo aqui en el mano "I've got the truth right here in my hand", his pistol.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
There's a bit in Sorority Row where Carrie Fisher is firing off a shotgun as she's being stalked by a shadowy figure in dark robes, and there's the sound of heavy breathing like Darth Vader... not a subtle movie so probably just a coincidental sound effect.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's not really subtle, but the climax of Happy Death Day has something I really dug.

I really liked the twist that the groundhog day loop the protagonist was dealing with was not a moral one, but a practical one. She didn't have to be a Nice Person or anything to get out of it, she just had to survive the day. If during any of her previous loops she had killed her actual killer, it would've been over right then and there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

MisterBibs posted:

It's not really subtle, but the climax of Happy Death Day has something I really dug.

I really liked the twist that the groundhog day loop the protagonist was dealing with was not a moral one, but a practical one. She didn't have to be a Nice Person or anything to get out of it, she just had to survive the day. If during any of her previous loops she had killed her actual killer, it would've been over right then and there.

I'm not usually a fan of horror movies, especially the more recent "dumb teens in peril" ones, but this caught my attention. Any good?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I find it slightly amusing that we have "groundhog day with a serial killer" at the same time as "groundhog day but naked". "Groundhog day with space marines" must have struck a chord with some execs.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CzarChasm posted:

I'm not usually a fan of horror movies, especially the more recent "dumb teens in peril" ones, but this caught my attention. Any good?

It's pretty funny actually.
Theres def the standard amount of schlocky horror movie titillation, but it ends up quite good.
It's very Sam Raimi is what Im saying. And because it is so goofy you get a bit more invested in the central mystery of the movie in a way you couldnt if it played it straight.

I loved the Death montage where she tries to find the killer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I find it slightly amusing that we have "groundhog day with a serial killer" at the same time as "groundhog day but naked". "Groundhog day with space marines" must have struck a chord with some execs.

Groundhog day but with 50 date rapes

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Powaqoatse posted:

Groundhog day but with 50 date rapes

Isn't that an Adam Sandler movie with Drew Barrymore?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sunswipe posted:

Isn't that an Adam Sandler movie with Drew Barrymore?

Yes?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Gotta say though, I really didn't expect A Madea Halloween to go that way.

(Which movie is that?)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Aphrodite posted:

(Which movie is that?)

Are you really interested in seeing Bill Murray naked? At this point?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering what the space marine one is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My guess is Edge of Tomorrow

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm guessing Edge of Tomorrow.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Can't think of the name, but there was a Tom Cruise film that fits the description a couple of years ago.

e: Think it was called something like "Brink of Next Day"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Olive! posted:

Are you really interested in seeing Bill Murray naked? At this point?

Please.

I never pass up seeing a celebrity naked.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ah. I misread and thought there was a movie out now in the theater that had the whole space marine/groundhog day thing going.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aphrodite posted:

(Which movie is that?)

Not Groundhog Day: An XXX Parody

Poundhog Gay

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sunswipe posted:

Can't think of the name, but there was a Tom Cruise film that fits the description a couple of years ago.

e: Think it was called something like "Brink of Next Day"?

You’re thinking of Edge of Tomorrow

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

oldpainless posted:

You’re thinking of Edge of Tomorrow

You're thinking of Tomorrow Never Dies

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Please.

I never pass up seeing a celebrity naked.

About Schmidt is a treasure.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Edge of a Helicopter Rotorblade starring Vic Morrow

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You're thinking of Tomorrow Never Dies

I’m pretty sure it’s The Day After Tomorrow.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I refuse to see Happy Death Day because it's not rated R.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Gotta say though, I really didn't expect A Madea Halloween to go that way.

(Which movie is that?)
Naked

The Netflix description made it look kinda funny - the trailer.....less so: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nIgeVoVMv90

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Naked

The Netflix description made it look kinda funny - the trailer.....less so: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nIgeVoVMv90

Imagine wanting Mike Leigh's Naked (1993) and getting Naked (2017).

Imagine wanting Naked (2017).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Some new thoughts on The Croods after watching it again last night. I've already made effort posts about the importance of Guy's stories and how the overall narrative mirrors them, and how the movie is not about Eep even though she is the viewpoint character but about Grugg and his inability to move on so I've just summarised the thoughts in that sentence :v:

Something I like other than those points is that the Title Card isn't just the beginning of the movie - the words "The Croods" are the first things in the movie seen to fall - they are the first parts of the cliff crumbling. The title card is literally the beginning of The End which I found pretty cool.

Something I've alluded to before that I also like is that Guy isn't right - his plan is doomed from the start due to him being too young to understand a metaphor. His entire survival plan is climb the mountain, then "Ride the sun to tomorrow" but he has no idea how to pull that last part off. He is taking it too literally - without Grugg to brute-force a solution Guy would have died out there.

I also like that you see snippets of the other animals, mainly in montage jokes but they are always nearby - it's because they've all lost their homes. The albino dog-thingy is seen at the start of the film with his brothers in his pack, all working together to try to win the egg from the Croods in the opening sequence - when we next see the albino dude, he's all alone. He's just like Guy. All the animals have lost everything, and have independently decided to get to higher ground as if that will help - no one knows just how screwed they are, they are all chasing the same dream. The splitting of Pangaea is turbo loving every part of every continent but no one has the context to realise it.