Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Comstar posted:

Someone please tell me how to overcast again? I double click spells but it just turns them off again?

yah the circle in the bottom right for the individual spell will go blue but iirc it fails to go blue if the spell hasn't got an overcast, you don't have mana for it, or you haven't unlocked it

I forgot if you have to unlock overcast spells in this version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Comstar posted:

Someone please tell me how to overcast again? I double click spells but it just turns them off again?

Some spells don't have overcast versions, and also you need to have spent extra skill points to unlock the overcast for that spell. Spells you can overcast have a tiny neon blue arrow on them when you select, and then tiny double arrows when overcast is selected.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

I forgot if you have to unlock overcast spells in this version

You need at least two skill points in a spell to overcast them.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's a shame you got to jump through hoops to build star chambers and complete a once every 10 turn ritual to be able to recruit Slann Priest lords, but they are just so underwhelming compared to your carnosaur riding regular generals or skink casters riding stegodons.

Thematically it's neat to jump through those hoops to recruit a special type of lord, just wish they were better then the ones you don't have to jump through hoops to get.

For campaign at least, probably the easiest fix would have been to just start recruited Slaan out at like level 15 or something and let you stack lord levels from there.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The high elf crafting ritual has to be one of the best rituals in the game.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

pnutz posted:

Factions:

High Elves

pictured: high elf supermage Teclis in the jungles of Lustria

Where is this from?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Where is this from?
Some German youtube series.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

e: nm

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

@06:10 "Kriegshammer, bitch!"

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
This battle was so big that I had no idea what was going on at any time. It was pretty amazing though. Warpfire throwers seem a little bit overpowered. And Queek too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The High Elf gate towns have no taxes but when you turn off taxes they get happier.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How easy would it be for modders to rebalance the vortex campaign? I'm supposing what needs to be done is to change the chaos army spawning somewhat, and to make the final battle much harder.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Pretty easy I'd guess? The composition of those armies is predefined.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Pretty easy I'd guess? The composition of those armies is predefined.

Well, I don't mean the composition, I mean where they spawn.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Is anyone having trouble with units hanging back and not really getting involved in battles? Modelling cowardice is too much realism.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

Is anyone having trouble with units hanging back and not really getting involved in battles? Modelling cowardice is too much realism.
Yep, it seems to be a known issue. Hopefully easy to fix since it wasnt an issue in the first game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

there's a known bug, but it can also be skirmish mode being auto-toggled on for a lot of units.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Following the advice of Queek bribing Last Defenders into leaving me alone is paying off; they are getting bogged down by war declarations right now and hopefully with time I'll be able to finish them off later.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The Dark Elves have finally landed on Ulthuan but other than Lothern itself does it make sense to try to occupy any of it, or should I just farm the poor fools for slaves? Sacking cities is insanely lucrative.- 15-40k gold and plenty of slaves on all the cities I've encountered so far.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I really enjoyed the vortex when I engaged with it in the first campaign I did, and I liked that the final battle for when you've won the race feels like a victory lap.

I do feel that the 'stave off defeat' battle should be much harder, and/or just add 5-10 turns to the ritual timer.

Make the chaos armies spawn in with no move left and I think that would make the vortex much better.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
One thing that occurred to me is to take advantage of 'block army' 'assault army' abilities of your heroes as chaos and intervention stacks appear. Every little bit helps, and stalling a stack for 1 turn or whittling their forces down a bit can turn the tide in some cases. Not only that, but it gives you plenty of exp to farm for your heroes during the ritual event.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Chillwind is a great spell because it's so cheap, spammable, has low CD, and it slows enemy units. Great utility spell to get more ranged shots in as Dark Elves, or help a segment of your melee line.

Also, I usually think Dark Elves in any fantasy are thematically cheesy, but the TW Delves have been growing on me. I think it's the combination of ambience, sound FX, and the superb voice acting.

"THE AIR IS THICK WITH MURDER"

"TORTURE AND ECSTACY"

Out of context I'd feel like this is too much and too corny. But then as you're managing your Delf empire, sacrificing slaves, and constantly hearing wailing and agonizing screams across the volcanic and icy landscape, you finally get it. These guys are sick motherfuckers on a completely different scale and it's amazing. You're allowed to do and say what Delves say when you've industrialized and made a religion out villainy. Like take all the wisdom, intellect, and power of the High Elves and commit it to being pure loving evil. Holy poo poo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

One thing that occurred to me is to take advantage of 'block army' 'assault army' abilities of your heroes as chaos and intervention stacks appear. Every little bit helps, and stalling a stack for 1 turn or whittling their forces down a bit can turn the tide in some cases. Not only that, but it gives you plenty of exp to farm for your heroes during the ritual event.

It's a shame that Warlock Engineers are just like Dwarf Master Engineers in that they're one of the best Heroes to accompany an army, turning your ranged units into complete monsters and boosting the army's movement range. This also competes with their strategic ability of hindering enemy army movement, which is also very powerful.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

It's a shame that Warlock Engineers are just like Dwarf Master Engineers in that they're one of the best Heroes to accompany an army, turning your ranged units into complete monsters and boosting the army's movement range. This also competes with their strategic ability of hindering enemy army movement, which is also very powerful.

Warlock Engineers are BETTER than Dwarf Master Engineers, because they basically have all the good things the Dwarf counterpart has (bonuses to ranged and artillery) but they also get spells on top of that, and Warp lightning is so inexpensive and powerful. The garrison Warlock Engineer is excellent at nuking enemies piling out of siege towers.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The Dark Elves have finally landed on Ulthuan but other than Lothern itself does it make sense to try to occupy any of it, or should I just farm the poor fools for slaves?

Just finished a legendary Morathi campaign, if Ulthuan is being invaded from all sides and the Helves are busy then I'd say try to take over the south and then see from there what you want to do. I had Malekith invading from the west and the Skaeling from the north and east so there wasn't too much opposition in the south, but if they're not being invaded elsewhere and can focus on you it might be harder to get a foothold and you might be better off trying to farm them for slaves.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The Dark Elves have finally landed on Ulthuan but other than Lothern itself does it make sense to try to occupy any of it, or should I just farm the poor fools for slaves? Sacking cities is insanely lucrative.- 15-40k gold and plenty of slaves on all the cities I've encountered so far.
I captured Lothern and I regret doing so. It meant that I had to park a stack there that ended up costing more than Lothern earned me, and Lothern is a viable ritual site so I had to make sure to defend it when the rituals started too. If you're going to capture anything on Ulthuan, you might as well go whole hog and take the whole place.

theDOWmustflow posted:

Chillwind is a great spell because it's so cheap, spammable, has low CD, and it slows enemy units. Great utility spell to get more ranged shots in as Dark Elves, or help a segment of your melee line.
Yeah, I basically treat Chillwind as a spammable map-wide -15 armor debuff that happens to do a small amount of damage on the side.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I went with maximum slavery, circling Ulthuan while sacking. This was at the advice of the thread when I complained the Druchii gimmick of slavery was hardly usefull with so few people to capture.

I'm confederating other Druchii now just so I have places for slaves to go!

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 7, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Following the advice of Queek bribing Last Defenders into leaving me alone is paying off; they are getting bogged down by war declarations right now and hopefully with time I'll be able to finish them off later.

What I did was rush down the ambush % in blue and drown kroq in rats, slingers are really good at leading saurus warriors on chases.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Wow, I was doing amazingly well as Queek; beating the elves, skaven and lizards. Then Kroq declared war on me and all my dudes died. Kroq is scary.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I had only one slave province when I was done with my dark elf campaign. Slaver's point. I never got enough slaves to max it out.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It's a shame norsca won't be added for a little while, javelin spam would probably destroy Jurassic park stacks

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Warlock Engineers are BETTER than Dwarf Master Engineers, because they basically have all the good things the Dwarf counterpart has (bonuses to ranged and artillery) but they also get spells on top of that, and Warp lightning is so inexpensive and powerful. The garrison Warlock Engineer is excellent at nuking enemies piling out of siege towers.

Hell yeah they are! Dwarf Master Engineers get to plink away at dudes extremely slowly and are likely to get their sightlines blocked once the melee starts. Warlock Engineers can just chill by the cannons or grenadiers/Warpfire Throwers all day, yet still contribute by summoning lightning on dudes, snaring entire squadrons of fliers, shoot a cool-looking rocket that doesn't seem to do much but whatever, and grant a speed boost skill for the army's ranged unit that isn't completely wasted.

No wonder the Dwarfs hate Skaven so much!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is fun to imagine how the first games races would compete in this one since a good number of them just seem like the silliest drat thing.

A bunch of dwarves on a hill, pissed off that skaven outnumber them and out shoot them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Right now I'm convinced Dwarfs are completely hosed against Skaven because they are certain to get outgunned, and their main counter to enemy artillery can get still get destroyed easily thanks to the Warlock's aerial snare. I wonder if Dwarf Cannons also got bonus explosive damage to compensate...

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

It is fun to imagine how the first games races would compete in this one since a good number of them just seem like the silliest drat thing.

A bunch of dwarves on a hill, pissed off that skaven outnumber them and out shoot them.

Artillery, anyway. Thunderers would wreck Skaven hordes. A line of Ironbreakers would be untouchable until someone starts dropping that cracks spell. I honestly think adding aimable wind spells was a real mistake, and destabalizes TW1 balance considerably. Dwarves are 100% dead against Vlad.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I don't know about that. Dwarfs cannons probably give warp lightning cannons a run for their money in an artillery duel, bolt throwers are actually very good at destroying other pieces once they get in range, Dwarf Warriors are perfect for fighting Clanats, and the lack of cavalry on both sides hurts Skaven even more since massed Quarellers will wreck their Rat Ogres and whatever monsters they bring.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

toasterwarrior posted:

Right now I'm convinced Dwarfs are completely hosed against Skaven because they are certain to get outgunned, and their main counter to enemy artillery can get still get destroyed easily thanks to the Warlock's aerial snare. I wonder if Dwarf Cannons also got bonus explosive damage to compensate...

You forgot the Doomwheel which will just run roughshod all over them since it works like a super chariot.

The only decent matchup the Dwarves might get from the new races is High Elves since they weirdly lack armor-piercing ranged.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

They really need to fix it so reinforcements always come out behind your starting position. It's totally dumb having your army march out BEHIND the enemy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

They really need to fix it so reinforcements always come out behind your starting position. It's totally dumb having your army march out BEHIND the enemy.

that is called flanking

stop flanking the enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

that is called flanking

stop flanking the enemy

That's the thing, I'm not doing that on the campaign map! My dudes are like sitting next to each other.