Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

vorebane posted:

He's catering to explorers in Anacondas who prefer to drop into realspace to turn.

I have actually done this in my cutter.

Got to the centre tonight. It is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Well obviously because I didn't realize the holograms were unique! Well now my immersion is ruined because not all planets look the same in real life. But thanks for that diagram, now I know I just need to hit up Emptyocean worlds and the ones that look like a hockey player checking a T-Rex. It's only trivial once you know it, otherwise a lot of the really smooth planets look like water ones and some of the rocky ice planets sound like metal ones and Class II gas giants look a lot like other classes without something to compare their color against.

I was kinda getting a handle on doing it visually from the system map but some of those metal planets look a lot like a real planet someone would be interested in. It really speeds up the learning process if you can just wave your mouse over the whole map while watching the process monitor on the other window and instantly see what each planet is without having to listen or go back to the ship cockpit. It's an immediate feedback loop that my brain learns best from and a lot less effort for me than listening or clicking back and forth to look at the hologram.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol how bad are you at this game? i've never come close to losing my Corvette in combat

Don't play much in open, huh

e: it always bugs me that the HUD says 'slow down' when you're getting drag from a nearby body. It reads like a command, hey, slow down, but it's actually saying 'you are being slowed down' :confused:

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 6, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

General Battuta posted:

e: it always bugs me that the HUD says 'slow down' when you're getting drag from a nearby body. It reads like a command, hey, slow down, but it's actually saying 'you are being slowed down' :confused:

Think of it like the STALL warning in aircraft. The alarm isn't telling you to slow down, but that you are experiencing SLOW DOWN when your drive is unable to maintain speed in a gravity well.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Wait, I know. Palin is a thargoid cultist, sending us into the deep to get eaten.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Think of it like the STALL warning in aircraft. The alarm isn't telling you to slow down, but that you are experiencing SLOW DOWN when your drive is unable to maintain speed in a gravity well.

I totally get that, I just think it's a funny way to word it and completely misleading for new players (who are likely to get the warning as they approach a destination, but it's way too late to use as a deceleration cue). SLOWDOWN or GRAVITY or whatever would probably work better.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Something like this should be fine for PvE https://eddp.co/u/jpAWHhcH

I've got mine engineered and do things slightly differently but the shield tank on this thing makes PvE trivial. Just change the guns to whatever flavour you like. I have the cores A rated but you can get away with lower on most if you can't afford those. Primary focus should be on the power plant if you have to pick. This thing turns like a brick so having everything at least gimballed is important. For fighters I'd suggest either the gu-97 with fixed beams (gelid f) (good for most things) or the f63 condor with fixed multicannons (rogue f) (great for bigger ships).

Rad, I appreciate it, thanks. This seems to work great, had some good fun with it today. Glad i spent as much time grinding broken passenger missions as I did though, I wasn't prepared for how hellishly expensive that'd be. I can't begin to imagine how people are expected to pay for that kind of stuff without money exploits.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

I keep thinking the same thing all the time. If I see SLOW DOWN it is way too late to actually slow down to avoid catastrophe and when I first started playing the game I would always throttle down because clearly it is a warning you need to do something about, right? I was wondering earlier this week if initially they were going to add a mechanic that if you tried to speed through a gravity well it would tear your ship apart or knock you out of supercruise and the warning was to let you know you actually had to throttle back. It sounds in my mind like something the hardcore people would want so we may get this mechanic in a future patch!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

General Battuta posted:

Actually it's the mode I play most often. That said if I jump into a system and there's a wing of FdL's flying around I'll log out and swap to solo to conduct my business since I'm under no obligation to be content for someone else :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

CapnBry posted:

I keep thinking the same thing all the time. If I see SLOW DOWN it is way too late to actually slow down to avoid catastrophe and when I first started playing the game I would always throttle down because clearly it is a warning you need to do something about, right? I was wondering earlier this week if initially they were going to add a mechanic that if you tried to speed through a gravity well it would tear your ship apart or knock you out of supercruise and the warning was to let you know you actually had to throttle back. It sounds in my mind like something the hardcore people would want so we may get this mechanic in a future patch!

I actually really enjoy the moments you come in a little too fast and have to round the far side of the planet to bleed off the speed. When you get the insertion just right and go from certain flyby to pegged at 5s to impact for an easy landing it is very satisfying...

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It would appear that the rhea travel craze ended the moment I outfitted my python to be a space bus.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I'm sure another gold rush will pop up again. (I need a Vette after A ranking a combat Anaconda)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Actually it's the mode I play most often. That said if I jump into a system and there's a wing of FdL's flying around I'll log out and swap to solo to conduct my business since I'm under no obligation to be content for someone else :shrug:

I'll see you in That_90's_Kids next subreddit rant, you coward

I play in solo and fly an anaconda at combat rank Competent.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm sorry for these bizarre staccato posts but this game really plays to my ADD: Do I need a space go-kart (ie, horizons) to collect this thargoid resin they're asking for at Obsidian orbital? Also when I got to Maia I thought I spotted the makings of another great passenger mission boom but by the time I got my space bus there all the missions had switched to the little crowns that take up your whole cabin. Not a lot of shipyards in the pleaiadeaaieades. I had to go to one called sisters refuge, 80LY out of the way and run by some kind of space cult. All of the space cult passenger missions also took up the whole cabin, space divas

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

You didn't expect true believers to share cabin space with filthy heretics did you?

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm slowly catching up on the thread while I have downtime in the game, and I saw something a billion pages back that made me think maybe I should offer this up.

I spent way too much time tonight mining for the Selene unlock, and I wound up with about 20 extra tons of painite. If anyone is interested in getting their 10 tons (on PC), I'll probably wind up holding onto it until saturday evening. I'll try and remember to check in here before I get rid of it, or you can DM me on discord at "Peachy Poo" #1381.

I never want to touch mining again, jesus christ.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is there any difference if I run ED normally or from oculus home?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Last night while fuel scooping in my AspX halfway between the bubble and Sag-A I accidentally got too close to the star and it kicked me out of supercruise. I boosted away from the star until my FSD cooldown was over and then re-entered supercruise. I immediately started taking on heat again as usual and followed the escape vector and quickly started cooling down. A message popped up on the info panel "OHClog Hazardous Substance Detected" which I've never seen before but reminded me of some youtube videos that show people taking damage when picking up cargo from destroyed thargoid vessels. Is this message familiar to anyone? Is it thargoid related? Googling the message hasn't come up with much.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 7, 2017

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

GutBomb posted:

Last night while fuel scooping in my AspX halfway between the bubble and Sag-A I accidentally got too close to the star and it kicked me out of supercruise. I boosted away from the star until my FSD cooldown was over and then re-entered supercruise. I immediately started taking on heat again as usual and followed the escape vector and quickly started cooling down. A message popped up on the info panel "OHClog Hazardous Substance Detected" which I've never seen before but reminded me of some youtube videos that show people taking damage when picking up cargo from destroyed thargoid vessels. Is this message familiar to anyone? Is it thargoid related? Googling the message hasn't come up with much.

What type of star was it, out of curiosity?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sandro just announced squadrons (basically player guilds) and squadron ownable motherfucking fleet carriers.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:flashfap:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Haha, Frontier expo is on. There was a shot of the audience, wow its like a session of Supreme Soviet. It seems like at least 70 % of the audience are bald and gray in their 50s.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

tooterfish posted:

Sandro just announced squadrons (basically player guilds) and squadron ownable motherfucking fleet carriers.

Yesssss

Behold the power of the fully armed and operational frogcarrier.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

tooterfish posted:

This needed to be done yesterday

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

tooterfish posted:

They're ... turning Elite into a multiplayer game??

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Don't worry it's Elite, so they'll make sure everyone in a squadron gets 80% less income because multiplayer.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Seeing a fair few people griping that Beyond will be free to horizons owners. "But I paid for a lifetime pass, why should the proles not have to pay?"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Looks like alliance are getting some faction ships.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wolfechu posted:

Seeing a fair few people griping that Beyond will be free to horizons owners. "But I paid for a lifetime pass, why should the proles not have to pay?"

:allears: How sweet. So they see nothing ironic with saying this, but at the same time demanding Horizons-owners should pay twice for Horizons-content?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Looks like alliance are getting some faction ships.

Finally!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

lol the type 10 is an up jumped type 9

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

lol the type 10 is an up jumped type 9

Clarify upjumped?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Clarify upjumped?

"With knobs on". Going on past experience of new ships, it'll have an extra hard point and even less jump range.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Krait-concept art looks nice. No idea what kind of ship it is supposed to be, though. Fighter, all-rounder, explorer? :shrug:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wolfechu posted:

"With knobs on". Going on past experience of new ships, it'll have an extra hard point and even less jump range.

But… any more knobs on a Type-9 and it won't fit through the mail slot. :aaa:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Libluini posted:

The Krait-concept art looks nice. No idea what kind of ship it is supposed to be, though. Fighter, all-rounder, explorer? :shrug:
Agile fighty rustbucket.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Link?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There's no details yet beyond WIP renderings, that's just what it was in earlier games.

It does have an underslung cockpit, which is pretty cool.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That's pretty sexy, and the underslung cockpit is an interesting touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It's almost like having all your player interactions being manually controlled and curated is a loving monumentally retarded idea and letting players make their own guilds is a good idea :thunk:

• Locked thread