Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

repiv posted:

dice sure are bad at dx12 considering they were the ones pushing for low-level apis on pc in the first place

It's a beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Truga posted:

The question is, what kind of bandwidth can you throw at the problem. Hardware encoding at low bitrates is always going to be poo poo. At high ones, it's just fine though.

Also I'm not sure if nvenc has changed since the 900 series, besides being able to to set an even higher bitrate.

My 1080ti can do 1080p 60fps on 3500 bitrate just fine, but im not going to recommend he drop $700 on one.

his CPU is an i5-4440 and the onboard graphics are HD 4600. We tried x264 and it was total garbage, could quicksync encoder be better?

His internet speed test was 17down/6up. What kind of bitrate should I recommend?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

dice sure are bad at dx12 considering they were the ones pushing for low-level apis on pc in the first place

shamelessly stolen from Reddit: ":dice: and DX12 go together like orange juice and toothpaste"

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Fauxtool posted:

how does the 1060 6gb handle NVENC for live streaming?

I have a friend with a 970 and his stream looks like poo poo. He really wants to stream 1080p 60fps and the 970 seems pretty bad at it. Should it be able to encode that quality and its just a settings problem with OBS?

He wants to upgrade in the hopes that it will fix it but I want to make sure it will actually do something.

Hows the upload?

Frankly a 970 can do it perfectly fine in my experience but you have to manually lower the bitrate (while keeping 1080p60fps) for twitch to handle it. About 5 mbit/s is the lower limit if you use straight Shadowplay. Others know better about CPU encoding which allows you lower the bitrate even more at some expense in fps

edit: didnt see the 6mbps update, thats gonna be difficult at 1080p 60 fps under most any circumstance

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They've already released two Frostbite games with DX12 renderers that perform worse than DX11 across the board, Battlefront 2 is just continuing the trend.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

BurritoJustice posted:

I've got a weird GPU/windows problem that I cannot find anything on online. One of my graphics cards (980) is unstable as gently caress, but only on windows 10. If I boot into windows 7 it will run perfectly fine at 1500/8200MHz on core/memory all day long, but when in windows 10 it cannot run stock clocks for more than a couple minutes before hard crashing. The other 980 works perfectly normally in both operating systems.

Even weirder is that it coincides with putting a waterblock on my graphics card, but I cannot understand how the software level OS problem and the hardware change are related.

Anyone have a clue?

I think an unstable overclock is a dead herring. Try giving it a massive negative offset and I bet it'll still crash. Unfortunately the "easy" solution is reformatting. There's a weird thing about 980s and 970s that have a different set of drivers loaded for different model numbers. I thought it was just a thing to screw over people who wanted to do cross brand SLI (Or even cross model in the same brand) but I could see one path of drivers getting corrupted and another being fine. Unless of course they're two identical 980s, then that idea doesn't make sense.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

Hows the upload?

Frankly a 970 can do it perfectly fine in my experience but you have to manually lower the bitrate (while keeping 1080p60fps) for twitch to handle it. About 5 mbit/s is the lower limit if you use straight Shadowplay. Others know better about CPU encoding which allows you lower the bitrate even more at some expense in fps

edit: didnt see the 6mbps update, thats gonna be difficult at 1080p 60 fps under most any circumstance

i see that makes some sense. Are you saying upgrading the gpu wont do much? When we try upping quality settings the game fps suffers so I thought the gpu was falling behind. He was also dropping like 30% of the frames. I am trying to get him to stream 720p 60fps but he has some idea that anything less than 1080p is bad.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

i see that makes some sense. Are you saying upgrading the gpu wont do much? When we try upping quality settings the game fps suffers so I thought the gpu was falling behind. He was also dropping like 30% of the frames. I am trying to get him to stream 720p 60fps but he has some idea that anything less than 1080p is bad.

What game? I've been using shadowplay since the earliest beta and I've never seen it affect framerate more than +/- 5, starting in the 700 series at that. By 30% dropped frames, do you mean when you turn on the stream suddenly 30% of frames stutter away or is that on the stream side?

As a side note, if he's playing an online game and streaming its really not going to be a good time uploading 1080p60fps. As a quick test, I'd lower the bitrate to 3 and see if it solves any performance issues (at 1080p60fps it will practically not work at all on the stream end but just as a test). Its also very important to have the latest drivers though its hard not to if youre using GFE.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

What game? I've been using shadowplay since the earliest beta and I've never seen it affect framerate more than +/- 5, starting in the 700 series at that. By 30% dropped frames, do you mean when you turn on the stream suddenly 30% of frames stutter away or is that on the stream side?

As a side note, if he's playing an online game and streaming its really not going to be a good time uploading 1080p60fps. As a quick test, I'd lower the bitrate to 3 and see if it solves any performance issues (at 1080p60fps it will practically not work at all on the stream end but just as a test). Its also very important to have the latest drivers though its hard not to if youre using GFE.

overwatch. I think that 720p 60fps will be fine, im going to have him try it tonight. Even when his bitrate was 2500 the stream quality was pretty poor which is why I first thought it might be the gpu struggling

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fauxtool posted:

Two things:

1) The 1070/1080 have two nvenc cores. The others, at least in the 10 series, have one. But if you don't desire 144hz etc and are willing to throw 1070 money around at streaming, just throw it at CPU instead.

2) Basically the magic number for twitch streaming, these days, is 720/60 at 3500 bitrate. I use nvenc with CQP (instead of CBR/VBR) and use a CQP figure of 21 after reading a lot of posts and watching a lot of videos and being told that it's very good. If you need to show him some YouTuber raving to get him to believe it, here's one, but otherwise here's my setting:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What I've read from Twitch's staff members is that their internals break horribly when using CBR. I haven't observed this when I've streamed however.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Twitch also used to have a hard limit (casually enforced by showing up and threatening you, basically) of 3500 but these days can take more if you can throw the bandwidth at it, making 1080p/60 source quality a reality for the transcoding crowd. But they were going to have to modernize their backend in a lot of places if they wanted to keep up with YouTube (or at least before YouTube basically cut off game videos from making money)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

craig588 posted:

I think an unstable overclock is a dead herring. Try giving it a massive negative offset and I bet it'll still crash. Unfortunately the "easy" solution is reformatting. There's a weird thing about 980s and 970s that have a different set of drivers loaded for different model numbers. I thought it was just a thing to screw over people who wanted to do cross brand SLI (Or even cross model in the same brand) but I could see one path of drivers getting corrupted and another being fine. Unless of course they're two identical 980s, then that idea doesn't make sense.

They're identical cards, down to revision and also BIOS. First thing I did was dump the newer ones BIOS and flash it to the older one.

I definitely think it's independent of overclocks, I've tried stock clocks with extra voltage as well to no change. Another weird thing is that the artifacting is always identical, same places and colours etc. What varies is how long a game will play before it crashes. In event viewer the error code is 0x00000005

E: at minimum clocks no change

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 6, 2017

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I've got the itch to get a 4k monitor and 1080Ti. What's the sweet spot for price points these days?

Comedy option VEGA 64

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Prescription Combs posted:

I've got the itch to get a 4k monitor and 1080Ti. What's the sweet spot for price points these days?

Comedy option VEGA 64

I think 27 " 1440p 144/165 Hz IPS is the best all-around balance for a monitor for anyone on any sort of budget ($500). 4K is currently a sidegrade since you are restricted to 60 Hz, and this is expected to improve significantly within a year.

Other sidegrade options are 34-38" 75-100 Hz 1440p-1600p ultrawide, or 200 Hz TN.

But to answer your question, your options are refurb XB271HK and refurb XB321HK. And - having used it - 4K 27" is not worth the tradeoffs vs high-refresh 1440p 27".

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 6, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Comedy option VEGA 64

Generally you can find decent ones for around $750. Avoid the MSI Armor version unless you are water cooling, the cooler on it is terrible.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think 27 " 1440p 144/165 Hz IPS is the best all-around balance for a monitor for anyone on any sort of budget ($500). 4K is currently a sidegrade since you are restricted to 60 Hz, and this is expected to improve significantly within a year.

Other sidegrade options are 34-38" 75-100 Hz 1440p-1600p ultrawide, or 200 Hz TN.

But to answer your question, your options are refurb XB271HK and refurb XB321HK.

Did not know that there were only 60hz 4k monitors :o:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Did not know that there were only 60hz 4k monitors :o:

Again, ~*supposedly*~ there are 144 Hz 4K panels coming out within a year. So if you are really committed to 4K, hang in there.

Anecdotally, monitor technology is one of those things where you can multiple the expected time-to-market by T^3. Marketing copy says "2 years out"? See you in 8 years.

And again, as someone who's owned 27" 4K monitors, it's not worth it. 1440p is the proper resolution at 27" IMO. At 27" you will need DPI scaling with 4K, any larger than 27" and you are eating a shitload of desk space, and 144/165 Hz are loving fantastic compared to 60 Hz (and will likely continue to offer superior refresh even once 4K 144 Hz monitors exist).

Past 27" and ultrawide or multi-monitor are serious alternatives.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 6, 2017

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Again, ~*supposedly*~ there are 144 Hz 4K panels coming out within a year. So if you are really committed to 4K, hang in there.

Anecdotally, monitor technology is one of those things where you can multiple the expected time-to-market by T^3. Marketing copy says "2 years out"? See you in 8 years.

And again, as someone who's owned 27" 4K monitors, it's not worth it. 1440p is the proper resolution at 27" IMO. At 27" you will need DPI scaling with 4K, any larger than 27" and you are eating a shitload of desk space, and 144/165 Hz are loving fantastic compared to 60 Hz.

Past 27" and ultrawide or multi-monitor are serious alternatives.

I think I'll go for a 27 1440p. Currently running two 24 1200p 16:10s. On second thought, getting a nice G-SYNC monitor will probably satiate my upgrade itch since I'm already running a 1070.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

any larger than 27" and you are eating a shitload of desk space

I can confirm that having my display (actually a TV but whatever it applies anywhere) VESA mounted to the wall is pretty awesome.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I thought desk space was for monitors. What other use is there?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Twitch streaming with OBS 101:

* 720p60 (some use 900p for some reason)
* Use the highest video downscaling (Lanczos) - this makes a huge difference that a lot of people ignore
* Minimum of 3500 kbps, maximum of 6000 - reqs depend on how "busy the game is"

HW encoding is usually worse than CPU, but you can't always tell the difference, and it's fine if you just want to record *something* if you CPU can't keep up.

Obviously go higher in bitrate if you're just recording.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So. I'm building a new pc inside an NZXT manta, which lists maximum GPU thickness at 42mm. So I need to buy a 1080ti whose cooler fits strictly within the 2 slot width. Is the EVGA 1080ti SC2 with ICX cooler the best choice here?

I can't afford any of the models with built in AIO before anyone asks.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

So. I'm building a new pc inside an NZXT manta, which lists maximum GPU thickness at 42mm. So I need to buy a 1080ti whose cooler fits strictly within the 2 slot width. Is the EVGA 1080ti SC2 with ICX cooler the best choice here?

Do you have the case already? 42 mm is an unfortunate cutoff, but in my experience those figures have been total bs and its worth measuring if possible.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I do not. From what I can tell looking at pictures and videos of the case in action; it's not dissimilar to my prodigy in terms of space - any card that fits within 2 slotwidths is fine, and that leaves about half a slot of space for air to flow between the cars and the PSU shroud.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

I do not. From what I can tell looking at pictures and videos of the case in action; it's not dissimilar to my prodigy in terms of space - any card that fits within 2 slotwidths is fine, and that leaves about half a slot of space for air to flow between the cars and the PSU shroud.

Well if you can't measure there's no sense in showing up with something that doesn't fit for sure. I have a 1080ti SC2 and its perfectly fine, all the other big boy names dont have two slot "premium" coolers anymore for 1080tis. Its not the best but its not far off and the cooler is remarkably compliant for 2 slots.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It looks like there's actually nearly 3 slots of space, they just don't want people getting a card that butts right up against the side and chokes off the fans.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

That layout bugs me when they could have just had the PSU compartment on top and used the bottom grill for the GPU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So wait, is that Manta case the answer to the question "What if you were to design a tower case through a filter that corrects for a fish eye lens?"?

Or would it be just 'designed through a fish eye len'? gently caress, i cant fully think yet

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 6, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

So wait, is that Manta case the answer to the question "What if you were to design a tower case through a filter that corrects for a fish eye lens?"?

Or would it be just 'designed through a fish eye len'? gently caress, i cant fully think yet

Allow me to introduce NZXT's chief architect, Gial Ackbar.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

ufarn posted:

Twitch streaming with OBS 101:

* 720p60 (some use 900p for some reason)
* Use the highest video downscaling (Lanczos) - this makes a huge difference that a lot of people ignore
* Minimum of 3500 kbps, maximum of 6000 - reqs depend on how "busy the game is"

HW encoding is usually worse than CPU, but you can't always tell the difference, and it's fine if you just want to record *something* if you CPU can't keep up.

Obviously go higher in bitrate if you're just recording.

I had some good laughs when Total Warhammer 2 early access blew up on twitch, and the guys were panning/zooming wildly over battle maps which happen to be chock full of vegetation and grass this time.
Anything with grass makes hardware encoders weep.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Looking to pick a GeForce GTX 1080 that's not a terrible choice for my new build. I will not be overclocking.

Thoughts?

If it helps, here is my build and the other thread said that the DUKE cards are frowned upon.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/daslog/saved/64Q6XL

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Lord Bude posted:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-mini#spec

You'll have a whole whopping 1mm of clearance, but it's under 42mm.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dHcMnQ/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10810g-10p

It does look like the EVGA is a strict dual slot cooler, though (the 'badge' up top looks like it might edge a titch past the backing plate):

Also, Google Express via Fry's has the best deal on that EVGA (but it's the Black Edition SC, not the SC2): https://express.google.com/u/0/product/18374236649732436795_17161931420415830329_6136318

Use code ORDERNOW20 to get $30 off. It's actually a 20% off code, but the maximum discount is $30. The SC2 can be selected by going from the "3.3 pounds" to the "11GB" option, but it's $749.99-$30.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 7, 2017

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I've actually ended up settling on a different case - I needed to trim my budget a bit, and the manta was really attractive but kinda expensive, and the only available mITX mobo was pretty expensive. So now I'm getting a carbide 400C. I've got plenty of room now, but I've kept the same GPU since the EVGA is only $1199. The MSI 1080ti looks good but I can't justify spending nearly $200 more on it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I've actually ended up settling on a different case - I needed to trim my budget a bit, and the manta was really attractive but kinda expensive, and the only available mITX mobo was pretty expensive. So now I'm getting a carbide 400C. I've got plenty of room now, but I've kept the same GPU since the EVGA is only $1199. The MSI 1080ti looks good but I can't justify spending nearly $200 more on it.

Considered the Air 240, by any chance? No space issues at *all* in that case, and you can turn it sideways so everything rests vertically, including the GPU.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Considered the Air 240, by any chance? No space issues at *all* in that case, and you can turn it sideways so everything rests vertically, including the GPU.

The Air 240 has some big problems with GPUs that are extra tall instead of extra thick, I've had people buy cards like the MSI Gaming X only to find out they can't close the panel on the Air 240 because of clearance issues.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Air 240 has some big problems with GPUs that are extra tall instead of extra thick, I've had people buy cards like the MSI Gaming X only to find out they can't close the panel on the Air 240 because of clearance issues.

Fair enough - I've only got direct experience with its big brother.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Fails my aesthetic criteria. There were things I could get away with as a teenager that I'm no longer prepared to now that I've hit 30. Also it doesn't take a 280mm rad. Got to keep the coffee (lake) nicely
Chilled.

I've had to put this pc together in a hurry - my old one sadly passed away on Thursday night. It's bad enough being without a pc till Monday; so I've had to make some tough decisions based on what my two local pc stores have in stock ready to go.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 7, 2017

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I have an air 240 and my GPU's (MSI GX 970) heatpipes actually touch the side panel glass. No heat issues, but not ideal regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a reason that Shadowplay's 30 second highlights are 230MB? I thought that I was saving the entire round at that size.

Is there a way to make Shadowplay record the whole round for a game like PUBG? I had two great rounds that I thought I saved, but I apparently didn't save any of one (oops) and saved a 30 second clip mostly involving me running into a fence from the other one.