Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petr
Oct 3, 2000
The pharmacist is not a good guy. He makes an appearance in 11/22/63 also, and he's just unpleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not really because you're creating a dichotomy based on a cartoon character, your own misunderstanding of why Donald Trump was elected President, and ignoring the fact that my whole point is that Bev was able to call bullshit on Pennywise's own irreverence.

Despite think pieces on how Donald Trump won the presidency because of South Park and Reddit, Donald Trump mostly won because of what some perceive as law and order which they interpret as asserting fear and control over people they don't like (Including these out of control young people who don't know nothing). Go back to the Republican primary debates last year, and see how much of those debates was a bunch of flabby old men arguing who would be the scariest and toughest to America's enemies. Trump didn't break the rules, but more acted as a more literal and over the top manifestation of what the Republican Party has been since Nixon. Trump is not a disrupting force. He is just everything wrong with American politics at its most cartoonish.

Pennywise originally seems like a disruptive force as all monsters in closets do. He has no respect for the rules and authority of Derry. As the film goes on, it's revealed more and more that Derry is complicit in Pennywise. As Ben reveals, he's baked into the city. The idea of him being disruptive or irreverent is a sham. He's just an adult making kids afraid to get what he wants. Bev overcomes him because she sees that, because she already won the battle when she stood up to her dad.

But honestly, your jump to "Bart Simpsons" politics is kind of revealing to the sort of politics I was alluding to. Children being autonomous and not being scared into compliance does not equal irreverence.

My absolute favorite part of this thread is only reading responses to SMGs posts and getting absolutely contextless gems

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

Donald Trump mostly won because of what some perceive as law and order which they interpret as asserting fear
[...]
He's just an adult making kids afraid to get what he wants. Bev overcomes him because she sees that, because she already won the battle when she stood up to her dad.

See, that's the CD Subtext Game in action. Like Pennywise is bad and Donald Trump are bad, therefore Pennywise is Donald Trump. (Pennywise is also a stern schoolteacher.)

[Like many presidents and schoolteachers, Pennywise is secretly a giant spider, travels through the pipes in your home, and is only visible to people under the age of 15.]

I'm not sure your post is based on anything I've written, or on the actual film. Beverley does not 'overcome' anything by killing her father. She ends up as another 'missing child', one of the undead. And then, on the flipside, Donald Trump doesn't fear children(?) and the power of friendship(?!).

Here's a better way of reading, from King himself. Five years before the release of IT (the novel), King took the time in Danse Macabre to praise a little movie called The Giant Spider Invasion. Released in 1975, King praises its retro style, comparing it to films like It Came From Outer Space (which he namedrops):

"The Giant Spider Invasion ... comes equipped with a plot straight out of the fifties, and there were even a lot of fifties actors and actresses on view in it, including Barbara Hale and Bill Williams."

The plot? A weird meteor crashes to Earth, in a crummy hick town in Wisconsin, and creates a 'space warp' that opens up an interdimensional portal. The town is then slowly infected by a magic giant spider from this hell dimension, as IT she attempts to spread her eggs into our world.

"In spite of the title, there is really only one giant spider, but we don't feel cheated because it's a dilly. It appears to be a Volkswagen covered with half a dozen bearskin rugs. ... The taillights double neatly as blinking red spider eyes. It is impossible to see such a budget-conscious special effect without feeling a wave of admiration."

King is doing a bit of CinemaSins bullshitting here, accidentally creating the myth that the Giant Spider was a volkswagen. (The Giant Spider was actually realized with two life-sized puppets, both custom armatures, and neither is shaped anything like a car. Also the eyes aren't red.) But King's point is that he loves the spider - it fills him with admiration and nostalgia for his youth. In a 70s narrative about how the town is actually plagued with poverty, alcoholism, and child abuse, with the Cold War looming in the background, the bad-effects Giant Spider is a comforting presence - an "irascible friend" from King's childhood in the 50s. You trade all those little fears for a bigger one:

"You ever see the movie Jaws? It makes that shark look like a goldfish!"
-The sheriff in Giant Spider Invasion, upon seeing the Giant Spider.

See, even though King gets the facts wrong, he's nonetheless paying attention to the formal qualities of the work instead of the plot content. The cheapo form of the spider stands for budget-consciousness and ambition. It's characterization - if not for the Giant Spider, then certainly for whoever unleashed it upon the world. In this way, the Giant Spider stands for the film crew that invaded that small town, disrupting people's lives in pursuit of art and profit.

The film bears an uncanny resemblance to Maximum Overdrive.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

beep beep richie

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

[Like many presidents and schoolteachers, Pennywise is secretly a giant spider, travels through the pipes in your home, and is only visible to people under the age of 15.]
Look, you weren't really responding to what I wrote.

My original statement was that the movie is about how adults try to control children through fear. It's not really a subtext game, but pretty surface level textual. Almost every major adult in this film is somehow using fear to try to control children. And that includes Pennywise who acts like a befuddled substitute teacher when he realizes Bev isn't scared of him before remembering he's a cthulu monster. I was responding to claims to a film being about the nature of childhood not being political being flawed because as a teacher, it literally is the fight that is being had regarding education. There are adults who honestly think the purpose of school is to control kids and fear is the way to achieve this.

You created this weird dichotomy of either kids are being controlled through fear or are Bart Simpson which is working with a lot less nuance than both the film and book. I admit I went way too far up my own rear end to try to respond to you.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If Donnie doesn't hate kids then why is he trying to kill them by exacerbating climate change, denying them healthcare and blowing them up, smart guy. :colbert:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The way the adults treat the kids, from ignoring them to outright abusing them, is spelled out pretty clearly as them being a part of the monster, at least symbolically. The whole movie is about overcoming childhood fears. The mistrust of adults, the power and control they wield and the damage they can cause through either direct abuse or outright negligence is a rather obvious huge part of that.

I don't think there are layers upon layers of ways to look at that part of the story either, but when has that ever stopped SMG?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

First as tragedy

Then as farce

the Other

----

i think im getting the hang of this

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

The whole movie is about overcoming childhood fears.

Well no not really. The film is about the fantasy of "childhood fears" and what they're a cover for. That's why the evil clown is a petty bully that keeps coming back, and all the teen bullies are uncomfortably sexualized.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Pennywise/It seems to have some relationship with the power structure of the town. He's in the "kiddie show" broadcast which even the adults have going, like it's some sort of subliminal brainwashing- they're not watching the news or soaps or anything, they're watching a Romper Room-style schoolmistress tell kids they should play in the sewers and occasionally Pennywise pops in as well. And of course she tells Eddie to kill his dad.

Like it's clear that It/Pennywise isn't the author of ALL the town's ills- in the book this is made more explicit, like the Black Spot fire being an entirely human act that he just showed up to watch. But he's part of the corrupt structure- he's worked his way in, he benefits from it, from the adults' silence. Which is why, yeah, the ending is incomplete- of course they haven't destroyed it entirely. To do that you'd have to wash the whole town away or something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
[quote="“Eifert Posting”" post="“476942821”"]
If Donnie doesn’t hate kids then why is he trying to kill them by exacerbating climate change, denying them healthcare and blowing them up, smart guy. :colbert:
[/quote]

Trump is infamously afraid of staircases, and claimed to be a germaphobe (in an effort to dismiss the piss tape rumours). Even if Trump were afraid of children, that would be pretty far down the list of his prominent traits.

Timeless Appeal posted:

My original statement was that the movie is about how adults try to control children through fear. It's not really a subtext game, but pretty surface level textual. Almost every major adult in this film is somehow using fear to try to control children. And that includes Pennywise who acts like a befuddled substitute teacher when he realizes Bev isn't scared of him before remembering he's a cthulu monster. I was responding to claims to a film being about the nature of childhood not being political being flawed because as a teacher, it literally is the fight that is being had regarding education. There are adults who honestly think the purpose of school is to control kids and fear is the way to achieve this.

The problem here is, first, that phrases like 'using fear' are extremely nonspecific (the kids themselves 'use fear' to control other kids) and, second, that even those loose terms don't apply in the film.

We don't see a single teacher using fear to control kids in the movie; the filmmakers make a very deliberate point of how the events take place during summer vacation. The police do not use fear to control kids; they are simply distant. Billy's dad doesn't use fear to control Billy - and Pennywise himself does not use fear to control kids. Pennywise scares kids for fun, but controls them with hypnotic light shows (signals from the TV, etc.). These same signals serve to pacify the adult population.

The specifics are important.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The problem here is, first, that phrases like 'using fear' are extremely nonspecific (the kids themselves 'use fear' to control other kids) and, second, that even those loose terms don't apply in the film.

We don't see a single teacher using fear to control kids in the movie; the filmmakers make a very deliberate point of how the events take place during summer vacation. The police do not use fear to control kids; they are simply distant. Billy's dad doesn't use fear to control Billy - and Pennywise himself does not use fear to control kids. Pennywise scares kids for fun, but controls them with hypnotic light shows (signals from the TV, etc.). These same signals serve to pacify the adult population.

The specifics are important.
It's a broad umbrella in the film. Eddie, Henry, and Bev's parents are all completely different in their intent, but they all use fear to get some level of compliance out of their children. The film begins with Pennywise engaging in very child predator behavior leveraging Georgie's guilt of losing the boat to coax Georgie in doing something he knows is the wrong thing to do. The intent is different, but in function it's not different from "I worry about you, Bev."

I'm not saying that the film is a statement on cops or teachers, and I'm unsure where that's coming from besides being a teacher is a lens that I bring with me. I'm saying that adults utilize fear to get what they want out of kids, be it compliance or be it abuse or even a misguided sense of safety (Eddies' mom). It's a theme that is transferable.

I can't find a good clip of the actual scene, but it's worth noting that the kid show is designed as an old-school call and response TV show. It's an adult sitting in the center of a group of kids, telling them what to do and what to think. You're correct that it's not necessarily fear, but more the complaint group think that is Derry.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Of course it's about Donnie, there's an underage gangbang.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well no not really. The film is about the fantasy of "childhood fears" and what they're a cover for. That's why the evil clown is a petty bully that keeps coming back, and all the teen bullies are uncomfortably sexualized.

I don't read it that way at all and think you're overanalyzing it.

The message of the the book and especially the film seems rather obvious to me and I just went to see the movie for a second time this afternoon.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The bit with Georgie at the start is legit as scary as the film gets, it shocked me and made me think "oh poo poo, this is going to be harsh" and then............... bit disappointed in all honesty. Aspects of it were legit good and freaky, the Jewish kid's fear of that loving painting and the resulting scares from the lady in it were great and disturbing. Everything else just kinda fell short though. There were bits right at the end that were hosed up, IT vomits forth a bunch of hands and the imagery of that was freaky but I dunno, a lot of it came across as funny rather than scary? It seemed a little lost in places.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Man, this thread is a ride

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Im just glad that a blockbuster horror movie has plenty of things to discuss

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Giant IT in the projector/garage scene got the only jump out of me.

Up until that point I basically thought my wife who refuses to see it could probably handle it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
[quote="“Timeless Appeal”" post="“476955148”"]
It’s a broad umbrella in the film. Eddie, Henry, and Bev’s parents are all completely different in their intent, but they all use fear to get some level of compliance out of their children. The film begins with Pennywise engaging in very child predator behavior leveraging Georgie’s guilt of losing the boat to coax Georgie in doing something he knows is the wrong thing to do. The intent is different, but in function it’s not different from “I worry about you, Bev.”

I’m not saying that the film is a statement on cops or teachers, and I’m unsure where that’s coming from besides being a teacher is a lens that I bring with me. I’m saying that adults utilize fear to get what they want out of kids, be it compliance or be it abuse or even a misguided sense of safety (Eddies’ mom). It’s a theme that is transferable.

I can’t find a good clip of the actual scene, but it’s worth noting that the kid show is designed as an old-school call and response TV show. It’s an adult sitting in the center of a group of kids, telling them what to do and what to think. You’re correct that it’s not necessarily fear, but more the complaint group think that is Derry.
[/quote]

I get the impression that you are kinda free-associating this stuff, because your posts are becoming increasingly difficult to parse.

Like of course 'fear' is a very basic theme in the movie. So is 'childhood'.

But once we get into the critique of the film, you're writing stuff like 'Pennywise is an exaggeration of how adults utilize compliant groupthink, and Beverley overcomes the exaggeration of how adults utilize compliant groupthink via her embrace of the word "no", which stands for her realization that adults cannot function without compliant groupthink (because friendship is stronger than adults once their groupthink is understood as a half-imaginary stress).'

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 3, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
SMG finds someone else's writing impenetrable. next, we'll end up discovering a fully-intact Bigfoot corpse or something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
[quote="“LORD OF BOOTY”" post="“477005412”"]
SMG finds someone else’s writing impenetrable. next, we’ll end up discovering a fully-intact Bigfoot corpse or something.
[/quote]

Not impenetrable; difficult to parse.

'Impenetrability' implies hidden depth - that we must find the meaning beneath the surface of the language. Parsing is just figuring out the grammar.

I understand what Timeless has written (it's not that difficult to parse), but the phrasing is both vague and... unusual. Instead of 'adults utilizing compliant groupthink', why not just say 'authority figures'?

(Probable answer: Pennywise, the sewer clown, is obviously not any sort of authority figure - so Timeless' thesis depends on being nonspecific. Pennywise is just, like, utilizing... stuff.)

The ideas are also incomplete. Timeless writes that Pennywise is 'an exaggerated adult', but skips the basic question of who is doing the exaggerating. The kids? Pennywise himself? And then, why?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Lol

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
I appreciate that SMG is harsh on how people write so they can try and bring their thoughts across clearer. No irony

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The bit with Georgie at the start is legit as scary as the film gets, it shocked me and made me think "oh poo poo, this is going to be harsh" and then............... bit disappointed in all honesty. Aspects of it were legit good and freaky, the Jewish kid's fear of that loving painting and the resulting scares from the lady in it were great and disturbing. Everything else just kinda fell short though. There were bits right at the end that were hosed up, IT vomits forth a bunch of hands and the imagery of that was freaky but I dunno, a lot of it came across as funny rather than scary? It seemed a little lost in places.

It is an adventure kids movie like ET or Goonies only with the possibility of kids dying in it, and the opening scene sets those stakes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

SMG finds someone else's writing impenetrable. next, we'll end up discovering a fully-intact Bigfoot corpse or something.
The unspoken assumption is that the Bigfoot is dead; Who Killed the Bigfoot and Why?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

SMG's posts are infinitely more enjoyable to read if you imagine them narrated by Werner Herzog.

That is not an insult.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned that someone should do a version of Pennywise but as the Crimson Ghost. Well I didn't do exactly that but it was a fun design. I'll probably tweak it some more.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

the popular kids posted:

Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned that someone should do a version of Pennywise but as the Crimson Ghost. Well I didn't do exactly that but it was a fun design. I'll probably tweak it some more.

Hey, that was me! Well done, man. Awesome work.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

Fart City posted:

Hey, that was me! Well done, man. Awesome work.

Thank you 😙

I have a friend who wants it on a tee-shirt so that will be neat.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

the popular kids posted:

Thank you 😙

I have a friend who wants it on a tee-shirt so that will be neat.

I would buy that on a shirt too, looks awesome!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Fart City posted:

SMG's posts are infinitely more enjoyable to read if you imagine them narrated by Werner Herzog.

That is not an insult.

I read SMGs post as if they're being read by Ben Stein because that's how loving dry, boring and worthless they are.

This is absolutely meant as an insult.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Neat poscast interview with Bill Skarsgard about getting and preparing for his role and developing the character, with a funny story about gas. Can't wait to watch the Georgie scene again with all this in mind.

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2017/film/news/playback-podcast-bill-skarsgard-it-stephen-king-1202558033/amp/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think by the time I saw the first shot of the Munster house I checked out. What a lovely movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was good enough for Georgie!!!!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

End of Shoelace posted:

I appreciate that SMG is harsh on how people write so they can try and bring their thoughts across clearer. No irony

your brain functions poorly.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SwissCM posted:

I think by the time I saw the first shot of the Munster house I checked out. What a lovely movie.

It was spooky as gently caress you philistine!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I kind of thought it looked ridiculous as well. Also I thought it looked like that house from what's it called animated movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's a fantasy spook house.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

It was good enough for Georgie!!!!!

That part is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU