Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

FAUXTON posted:

cool how it's basically Battle Royale: the movie: the game and now they're gonna try claiming usage rights on it like slide-to-unlock.

I wonder who is the plucky developer that will buy the right to the movie IP and start suing when people say BR mode.

Edit: Also pushing this game as Esports feels extremely forced because as someone astutely noted, FPP is on par with Quake 2 on a 56k modem. The polish just isn't there. Like do they even have actual camera modes for esport expectating?

osker fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Exploring this for esports feels way less forced than a lot of other stuff. Here it's stemming from actual popularity in what people want to play and watch versus something aggressively built and marketed as the next esports thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

How would you even call a PUBG game? They're using the player model equivalent of the picture that comes with the frame you buy at walmart, they probably don't have anything customized for spectator usage, if the engine even comes with any stock controls for a spec camera.

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010
If you had unlimited dollars and the best dev team ever how would you design a game to steal PUBG's thunder? Lots of BR type games trying to be the best, whats missing. I personally think they've got the perfect MVP and it's going to be hard to knock them off the horse.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah PUBG is fun as hell, but gamers gonna hate

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ninjalicious posted:

If you had unlimited dollars and the best dev team ever how would you design a game to steal PUBG's thunder? Lots of BR type games trying to be the best, whats missing. I personally think they've got the perfect MVP and it's going to be hard to knock them off the horse.

I'd pay EA/Dice shitloads of money to use the frostbite engine and their assets and remake the game in that with fully destructible buildings, actual vehicle physics, and allow people to host their own dedicated servers.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Pussy Quipped posted:

I'd pay EA/Dice shitloads of money to use the frostbite engine and their assets and remake the game in that with fully destructible buildings, actual vehicle physics, and allow people to host their own dedicated servers.

EA would build in so much DLC garbage it would be a terrible game.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

daslog posted:

FOUNDER'S PACK EXCLUSIVE: SPAWN WITH A MINI-14 AND 4X/8X SCOPES!

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Frostbite is rear end, they've had what, 3 or 4 tries now and they still can't get DX12 working right? At least I gave PUBG my money. I stopped buying things on Origin after SimCity 5

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Why do I keep getting Working boots as my reward?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

It's your punishment for opening more than one crate per week

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I want bigger maps and more players. Also I want to customize my dacia mad max style with spikes and chainsaws.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

dc3k posted:

FOUNDER'S PACK EXCLUSIVE: SPAWN WITH A MINI-14 AND 4X/8X SCOPES!

Do you have any idea how cool it would be if you could bid on some kind of DLC where you spawned with a weapon?

The amount of rage... would be hilarious.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
has dice ever done anything that puts the one player at an advantage that the other players couldn't eventually unlock and use

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

if a game came out that looked the exact same except had better netcode & performance optimizations they'd immediately start pulling people from pubg

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

Ninjalicious posted:

Bad Company 2 Battle Royale Edition

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Do The Evolution posted:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BC2 and BC2: Vietnam fuckin ruled

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

BC2 and BC2: Vietnam fuckin ruled

Apart from magnum ammo in BC2 which is one of the worst skill tree decisions ever.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Tab8715 posted:

Do you have any idea how cool it would be if you could bid on some kind of DLC where you spawned with a weapon?

The amount of rage... would be hilarious.

Reddit would cease to function as 300000 nerds all rush to complain the loudest.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ninjalicious posted:

I feel like The Division's Survival mode would be a good blueprint to start with T B H.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Do The Evolution posted:

dont leak my design docs tia

e: slug shotgun mods + scope slot :getin:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

MrBadidea posted:

dont leak my design docs tia

e: slug shotgun mods + scope slot :getin:

Thinking about the slugs in BC2 makes my weenie tingle

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Ran over two people in a boat in one game. One was on the beach who stood there like a dumbass while I rammed the bow into his mouth. Second was in the water swimming up to a crate. Was feeling good heading into the last couple of circles and hit network lag for 2 solid minutes then get kicked out to the lobby to be told "the game is now over". Well no poo poo you loving worthless programmers.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Snazzy Frocks posted:

has dice ever done anything that puts the one player at an advantage that the other players couldn't eventually unlock and use

Only unintentionally with bugs etc. The m26 secondary a bug with a dlc primary that let it shoot ar bullets with ar ballistics instead of shotgun pellets. (Youd shoot like 9 at once) This let you 1 hit at any range in bf3 for like 3 months. That was ea forcing them to keep all 3 platforms on the same patch and microsoft taking forever to certify the xbox version more than malice or incompetence though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

How would you even call a PUBG game? They're using the player model equivalent of the picture that comes with the frame you buy at walmart, they probably don't have anything customized for spectator usage, if the engine even comes with any stock controls for a spec camera.

there is a spectator mode that seems to have all sorts of features. Its really laggy though and its clear the game did not have a spectator in mind.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Doorknob Slobber posted:

there is a spectator mode that seems to have all sorts of features. Its really laggy though and its clear the game did not have a spectator in mind.

Watch it turn out the game actually renders a player character with the jesus pose on the spectator camera

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FAUXTON posted:

Watch it turn out the game actually renders a player character with the jesus pose on the spectator camera

I hope the spectator's buildings never load

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Got my first kill on someone still chuting, pretty funny to see the on hands and knees model pose mid-air

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
this is how you use a boat right??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9naRLUbx8

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

daslog posted:

It would be worth it for above 20 tick rate, though.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
The game can be fun and not be an esport game.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The downed teammate scouting run:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FlaccidHonestSaladRitzMitz

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is anyone else getting immediate CTDs on launch when you have MSI Afterburner / Rivatuner open? I wonder if they forgot to whitelist that. I can open them after the game has launched and it's fine.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Enigma89 posted:

The game can be fun and not be an esport game.

The game should also probably not be a broken mess before trying to make it an esport

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Macaluso posted:

The game should also probably not be a broken mess before trying to make it an esport

I mean if they have ambitions for it, they kinda have to go through the growing pains to get there. I can't blame them for trying.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Idk if there's a name for this spot but "Goatse Rock" seems fitting

M246 and a 15X, no you don't wanna know how this game ended

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

We always called it the badger hole or the hidey hole.

Its such a good spot, shame to see other people finding out about it :P

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Man what a sourpuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

This is some funny jank. I headshot the guy about 1 frame before he runs me over. If you frame by frame through it pops up with 0 killed and it has no player name for who ran me over. I wonder if he got a kill as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=070oMbCBmlw

• Locked thread