Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I thought XL was coming out November 15, was that a false rumor?

Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm switching back to Rogers from Bell and apparently get it on day 1 (after shipping from who knows where)

Day 1 is Oct 19th... right? I thought XL was coming out November 15, was that a false rumor?

I honestly have no idea. I might call our rep and ask next week (my personal line is a business linked plan so I a special support line)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

edit: I seem to recall there being a thread favorite aux-to-BT adapter thing. Am I dreaming? If not, which model was it?

The Kinovo BTC450? It's what I use and it's great, and I'm pretty sure other people here have recommended it too.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I really like the feel of the Spigen thin fit case, which is kind of a rigid plastic, on my 5X, will probably stick with that for the 2 XL. It's also very thin which is nice.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Do all those cases work with the squeeze assistant?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The Kinovo BTC450? It's what I use and it's great, and I'm pretty sure other people here have recommended it too.

I have the Himbox HB01 which is identical to that and very good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eezee posted:

Do all those cases work with the squeeze assistant?

Yes, it's been confirmed that the squeeze thing works with cases

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I preordered the Spigen thin fit which, if I have to use a case, will be my daily driver case. I also ordered one of the Caseology vault cases for more substantial protection if I feel I'm going to need it (also since it was pretty much the only reputable case that would ship before the phone got here.) I would have just gotten the fabric case from google, but gently caress $40 and it also wasn't going to arrive until the end of October.

I really want to go mostly caseless this round though. It really depends on what they did with the rear glass. If it's gorilla glass 5 like the front, then I should be able to. If it's cheap as gently caress seemingly soda glass like the current model that scratches if you so much as glance as it, then I'll likely be forced to use at least the thin fit case.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'll get another Diztronic case when they come out. Pixel 2 XL for me, GF is snagging a V30. So I guess we like LG.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I really want to go mostly caseless this round though. It really depends on what they did with the rear glass. If it's gorilla glass 5 like the front, then I should be able to. If it's cheap as gently caress seemingly soda glass like the current model that scratches if you so much as glance as it, then I'll likely be forced to use at least the thin fit case.

I'd like but I just can't, there's so many random drops, etc, that could happen totally even if I'm careful.

Luckily, between caseology, spigen, and diztronic, we have a wide variety of cheap minimal cases.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Google upgraded by Dying Nexus 6p to a Pixel XL today :toot:

What cases/screen covers do you gunes use?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'd like but I just can't, there's so many random drops, etc, that could happen totally even if I'm careful.

Luckily, between caseology, spigen, and diztronic, we have a wide variety of cheap minimal cases.

Pixel is my first phone that's been in a case for the majority of time and it's 100% due to the back glass. I've always had one to throw on the phone if I was going to be out and about (like doing anything outdoors or if I would be walking around for the majority of a day), but the normal hone-work grind has traditionally be caseless territory for me.

That back glass was just too drat fragile though. It was picking up scratches by the end of the 2nd day.

At least this one won't complete hose the camera lense if the back glass gets scuffed up or breaks.

I usually only use a bear motion case though which offers next to no drop protection, it's just helping against scuffs. So, that Spegin thin fit is perfect.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 7, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been using Spigen thin clear liquid crystal tpu case on my Pixel and it's been fine. No screen protector. I've dropped it a few times and it's been fine. Except the time I dropped it on it's face on a rock and the screen shattered.

The case itself is very thin and doesn't bulk up the phone. It's starting to tint yellow/brown a little after a year, either due to filth or UV, not sure.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

due to filth

We're goons, it's this

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

I've been using Spigen thin clear liquid crystal tpu case on my Pixel and it's been fine. No screen protector. I've dropped it a few times and it's been fine. Except the time I dropped it on it's face on a rock and the screen shattered.

The case itself is very thin and doesn't bulk up the phone. It's starting to tint yellow/brown a little after a year, either due to filth or UV, not sure.

I have one of those as well, but I rarely use it. I don't like how it wraps around the screen. I really like how you can see a bit of the frame around the shell cases like bear motion. Doesn't interfere with swiping as much either.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I took my pixel xl out of the diztronic case for the first time this week and the back is scratched to hell and back. I guess dirt worked it's way back there and scuffed it up

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I have one of those as well, but I rarely use it. I don't like how it wraps around the screen. I really like how you can see a bit of the frame around the shell cases like bear motion. Doesn't interfere with swiping as much either.

It doesn't cover the screen itself, just about half of the bezel. The idea is you can place it face down and have the couple of millimeters between the screen and the table. It does get a little tricky if you're trying to select text or something near the edge of the screen, but this is the situation with all TPU cases I've used.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My caseless XL has no scratches on the back glass or anywhere else.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

My caseless XL has no scratches on the back glass or anywhere else.

I don't believe you, the glass on the first gen Pixels was absolutely more prone to marks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't believe you, the glass on the first gen Pixels was absolutely more prone to marks

Not a mark of any kind. I'd take a picture but I can't flip the phone over fast enough after clicking the button.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I'm switching back to Rogers from Bell and apparently get it on day 1 (after shipping from who knows where)

Day 1 is Oct 19th... right? I thought XL was coming out November 15, was that a false rumor?

I'm going through Google Fi and mine is listed to ship in November.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm a spigen fan since my Galaxy S4 days. They are great, have smooth feel and quality. Last year I got a Huawei P9 and got my case next day and didn't switch since. More than a year later the case is still in mint condition.

For reference:
https://www.spigen.com/collections/huawei/products/huawei-p9-case-rugged-armor

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's hilarious how much better the pixel XL looks without a case sitting there fencing the screen in, drat

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Another reason why I would prefer to go caseless with the Pixel 2XL is that the aluminum is apparently coated in a soft touch material. It should be a lot more grippy.

FogHelmut posted:

It doesn't cover the screen itself, just about half of the bezel. The idea is you can place it face down and have the couple of millimeters between the screen and the table. It does get a little tricky if you're trying to select text or something near the edge of the screen, but this is the situation with all TPU cases I've used.

Like I said, I own the case. I just can't tolerate using any TPU case for too long because it intrudes too much on the screen area.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I recommend the Nillkin Nature series cases. They're thinner than the Spigen TPUs with minimal screen intrusion.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bull3964 posted:

Another reason why I would prefer to go caseless with the Pixel 2XL is that the aluminum is apparently coated in a soft touch material. It should be a lot more grippy.

Like I said, I own the case. I just can't tolerate using any TPU case for too long because it intrudes too much on the screen area.

One slip, one trip into non-carpeted floor and you dented that nice grippy soft touch aluminum body at best, crack the screen shattering beyond usage at worst. Use a case.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cases are for the careless. I've never dropped my phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I treat my phone like something that costs $650 so I don't drop them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Calaveron posted:

One slip, one trip into non-carpeted floor and you dented that nice grippy soft touch aluminum body at best, crack the screen shattering beyond usage at worst. Use a case.

I don't really need a lecture about what can happen to a device if it falls from height onto an unyielding surface. A case's only use to me is to save it from surface scratches if the material it's made out can't stand up to use. A case is never going to save my phone from a drop because I don't drop my phone.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mu Zeta posted:

Me either, until I did and you will too pal

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I don't drop my phone.

Dude I'm with you on a lot of your posts, but this is a real stupid thing to say. No one wants or plans to drop their phone. You won't intend to drop it when you do, and you will. If you don't want a case, that's fine, just say you accept the risk, rather than dumb poo poo like this.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

On a long enough timeline you are going to drop your phone. I'm as careful as can be and still botched pulling my caseless leather backed 2nd gen Moto X out of my pocket and dropped it on a marble floor. My caseless first gen survived a year and a half no problem.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dude I'm with you on a lot of your posts, but this is a real stupid thing to say. No one wants or plans to drop their phone. You won't intend to drop it when you do, and you will. If you don't want a case, that's fine, just say you accept the risk, rather than dumb poo poo like this.

If you drop your phone, you are just irresponsible and careless. Are you one of those younguns out there hip hopping around at your disco parties dropping phones all willy nilly?

Why can't you just care about things CLAM DOWN?

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
My wife has dropped her Nexus 5x and broke the screen twice. Once with a Spriggen Slim Hard case like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0147JXKVU/ and once with this offbrand case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017IDI56M

I'd honestly be surprised if any of this cases can truly protect the screen from drops unless you get one of those glass screen protectors, and maybe then you can safe.

100% Dundee posted:

If you drop your phone, you are just irresponsible and careless. Are you one of those younguns out there hip hopping around at your disco parties dropping phones all willy nilly?

Why can't you just care about things CLAM DOWN?

Small children add an extra element, either grabbing your arm or attention suddenly.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!
I put butter on the back of my phone so it always lands face up

A little common sense goes a long way

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not claiming anyone is irresponsible.

I am saying that I have gigantic Velcro hands and I spend 90% of my time either at home (where my phone is sitting on a table) or at work where I'm sitting at my desk. So, I don't feel the need to wrap my phone up to withstand the coming nuclear apocalypse.

I lead a very boring life so there's very little opportunity for a phone to get damaged.

The only phone I did kill the screen on was my Moto Razr after I leaned over a foozball table. The screen wasn't facing outward, but it didn't matter. The phone was too thin and flexed too easily. Glass wasn't even broken, just the OLED substrate. Moto fixed it for free.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

How're those cases that google has with those custom maps? Those any good?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Teddybear posted:

No :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Teddybear posted:

They sort of work. The fit on my N6 was exceedingly tight, and I could tell that getting it on and taking it off was starting to crack the plastic a bit. It's stayed on, and protected it from a 3' or so drop, but it split the case corner. Also, the printing process has been wearing off the sides.

I really like having my own photo as my case, but it's a bit overpriced for what it is in terms of protection and durability.