Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Steamworld Dig 2 is the best game I've played on the Switch so far.

Need more data to evaluate this statement. What other games have you played?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Imagined posted:

Need more data to evaluate this statement. What other games have you played?
Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, Picross S, Mario Kart, Snipperclips, Ironcast.

To be fair, I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet.

But seriously, I've enjoyed Steamworld Dig 2 more than any other game this year except maybe Horizon. It's charming, fun, and controls really well. Giant Bomb put up a good Quick Look video if anyone's on the fence.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm hoping, very likely against reason, that the last day there will be an announcement of a Miiverse for Switch. I like he name The SwitchBoard for it

Also I have only one last person to introduce myself to in StarDew and I can't locate them :sigh:

I had the same problem and realised I had "missed" Pierre the shopkeeper. Buying stuff from him doesn't count as meeting him, u gotta go around the counter and talk to him directly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“WhiteHowler”" post="“477144279”"]

To be fair, I haven’t played Breath of the Wild yet.

But seriously, I’ve enjoyed Steamworld Dig 2 more than any other game this year except maybe Horizon. It’s charming, fun, and controls really well. Giant Bomb put up a good Quick Look video if anyone’s on the fence.
[/quote]

RIP horizon as your favorite game about 10 minutes after you start BOTW

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That really depends on why you liked Horizon in the first place

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Horizon was the first 2017 release I played this year and really liked it at the time, but between everything else I played since it's fallen into the bottom of my top 10 for the year.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

WhiteHowler posted:

To be fair, I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet.

But seriously, I've enjoyed Steamworld Dig 2 more than any other game this year except maybe Horizon. It's charming, fun, and controls really well. Giant Bomb put up a good Quick Look video if anyone's on the fence.

Pick up Shantae if you want another awesomely-polished indie platformer. The visual and aural polish is on par with a Nintendo-released game.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just picked up Horizon on sale a few months ago, after having played the hell out of BoTW. Had a hard time getting into it... I made it a little past "the trial" or whatever and lost interest pretty quick, but to be honest I'm really bad about that kind of thing with games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You buttheads! You made me buy SV. This is all your fault.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I preferred horizon to botw. horizon had a really good main storyline, whereas botw's was non-existant.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stan Taylor posted:

i was watching the giant bomb Picross video when i noticed that the joy con icons on the ui match tbe color of the actual joy con, at least in the controller pairing screen. :kimchi:

I would be rad to get a set of different colors and have them match up with player icons like you could do with the n64 colors of you were rich and didn't have one gray and one translucent purple like a normal kid.

The Switch homebrew scene has decoded the JoyCons pretty well at this point -- it turns out that the color to be displayed is stored on rewritable JoyCon software and it's not too hard to set it to whatever you want.

Check out Joy-Con Toolkit if you really wanna get artistic and magical.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

why not rerelease tokyo mirage sessions or devil's third or that paper mario game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

a.lo posted:

why not rerelease tokyo mirage sessions or devil's third or that paper mario game

Why not? Why? Why?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bad Parenting posted:

I preferred horizon to botw. horizon had a really good main storyline, whereas botw's was non-existant.

Story in Horizon was pretty up and down for me, and didn't care for most of the back story stuff.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Zerilan posted:

Story in Horizon was pretty up and down for me, and didn't care for most of the back story stuff.

The tribal politics stuff I just found to be just okay, but once you got to meridian and started investigating why the world went to poo poo, I found all that stuff great.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bad Parenting posted:

The tribal politics stuff I just found to be just okay, but once you got to meridian and started investigating why the world went to poo poo, I found all that stuff great.

I think it's a really well-realized post-apocalypse that isn't just "we nuked everything so it's a burnt-out husk" and Alloy as a character was pretty charismatic. The side quests were really good, too. With a little more polish they could have been Witcher 3 quality in that they weren't there as obvious filler but interesting little segments of story.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Fly with me posted:

So, are the residents of Stardew Valley so helpful because you're the only source of agriculture around? Is that why you get money from putting your crops in the box, because they're buying them? Is this like a reverse farmers market? If you had waited any longer, would the entire town have died of malnutrition?

You are all that stands between Pelican Town and the tyranny of Joja.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bad Parenting posted:

I disliked the early tribal stuff, liked the stuff surrounding meridian, liked the general concept behind the zero dawn project and how poo poo still exists post-apocalypse, didn't like that it leaned real hard on making Liz some near-infallible messiah figure while everything that went wrong in both the apocalypse happening and parts of zero dawn failing were from one person's continual fuckups.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Witcher 3 was great except for combat and that is like, a lot of the game so I don't know what to think. Also overly complex stuff everywhere

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I played Horizon after 120 hours of BOTW and the invisible walls / lack of exploration freedom was loving HARSH to get used to again but it's still a gorgeous game with some really, really good combat.

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010
They tell me it's the best time to be playing video games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I recently got around to playing through Shadow of Mordor and after having played BotW even the occasional wall/hill/cliff that you couldn't climb was maddening. Not having to worry about stamina was nice though. :shobon:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TomVanDam posted:

They tell me it's the best time to be playing video games.

Vinny was right.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/krp_ku/status/916148939824553986

A Japanese manufacturer is creating a Switch dock with a built-in LAN cable port for those of you who want solid wired connections without having to buy a USB adapter. Due out late December

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Policenaut posted:

https://twitter.com/krp_ku/status/916148939824553986

A Japanese manufacturer is creating a Switch dock with a built-in LAN cable port for those of you who want solid wired connections without having to buy a USB adapter. Due out late December

I want them to make more docks with built in capabilities like this, it would be amazing if they dropped an official dock that supported Classic Controllers when they finally announce the VC in whatever form it takes

I also find the projector dock really enticing

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
What are the specs on that projector dock? Is it 1080p native & what are the lumens?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Kaewan posted:

What are the specs on that projector dock? Is it 1080p native & what are the lumens?

854x480 and 200 lumens. Runs on its own 20,000mAh battery

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A weird thing about Volgarr. One of my favorite games of all time is Lost Vikings. This game really scratches that itch. However this game is really nothing at all like Lost Vikings. I got Trine a few years ago hoping it would scratch the same itch, and it is very similar to lost vikings but I just didn't like it. So maybe I just like vikings!?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm hoping, very likely against reason, that the last day there will be an announcement of a Miiverse for Switch. I like he name The SwitchBoard for it

I still log into Miitomo fairly regularly just to amass costumes and I can't believe they aren't integrating it with your console mii. I have like five different Link costumes, Splatoon, Samus, I need help.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spellman posted:

854x480 and 200 lumens. Runs on its own 20,000mAh battery

What the Hell resolution is that? Original Windows Phone?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mister Facetious posted:

Double that of the 3DS lmao

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Standard Definition (SD) with an aspect ratio of 16:9. Basically equivalent to an old widescreen CRT TV

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Steamworld Dig 2 is at its best when you're doing the little puzzle dungeons but the core gameplay loop of digging down and collecting gems feels completely mindless and pointless to me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spellman posted:

I also find the projector dock really enticing

I wouldn’t buy this. It doesn’t look like it has any angle adjustments and the projector can only be used with the Switch.

Also, while a portable projector sounds like a good idea, they suffer from the same issues as larger ones (you need a large, blank area in a dim environment) except they’re usually even dimmer than large projectors. Honestly if you want a projector to bring with your Switch the laser projector Sony makes is probably your best bet. It also costs more than the Switch + a pro controller.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

PantsBandit posted:

Steamworld Dig 2 is at its best when you're doing the little puzzle dungeons but the core gameplay loop of digging down and collecting gems feels completely mindless and pointless to me.

It's definitely not pointless as that's how you earn money to buy upgrades and there are tons of secrets to find, but the mindless part is what I like so much about it. It's so relaxing!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finally beat first world of Volgarr. Not sure how to dodge his club if I want to get in any decent amount of hits still, but I just tanked it this time after finally making it to him with enough powerups.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Has anyone got opinions on Spelunker Party?

I have the Japanese game. It’s okay.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lelandjs posted:

I wouldn’t buy this. It doesn’t look like it has any angle adjustments and the projector can only be used with the Switch.

Also, while a portable projector sounds like a good idea, they suffer from the same issues as larger ones (you need a large, blank area in a dim environment) except they’re usually even dimmer than large projectors. Honestly if you want a projector to bring with your Switch the laser projector Sony makes is probably your best bet. It also costs more than the Switch + a pro controller.

Yeah, I can't really see a use case for that dock that wouldn't be better in tabletop mode or with a standalone projector.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Dizz posted:

Where is my loving SHOVELWARE?

No shovelware, just shovel knight.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

KingSlime posted:

hmm I might be stuck in golf story

how do i initiate the beach course? I'm guessing I have to do a chain of side quests as I did a few, but seem to have hit a dead end. The guy in charge of running the course is pissed that his wallet was stolen and will only let Max play, whom I can't access due to a bodyguard who wants a clock or something?.

repostin' this just in case someone who knows what's up sees it

I'm gonna jump in and start poking around once I wrap up some weekend work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Dizz posted:

Where is my loving SHOVELWARE?

thosr neo geo games

• Locked thread