Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

sebmojo posted:

Thud was a late one, and still good. And people say I shall wear midnight is ok. Its just the last few where theres a slump.

I'm pretty sure Thud was pre-embuggerance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Thud! is really good.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Thud! is fantastic; Wintersmith, Making Money, and I Shall Wear Midnight aren't highlights of the series or anything but they're still pretty enjoyable.

Snuff is bad and I've heard Raising Steam is even worse? Apparently The Shepherd's crown is better but I can't bring myself to read it. :smith:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

if i don't finish reading every last book, then it won't be over yet

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Raising Steam is essentially a "Going through the motions" book about tech with Von Liwpig - it feels like it's just doing what feels like should be in a Pratchett novel about progress, instead of actually being one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

Thud was a late one, and still good. And people say I shall wear midnight is ok. Its just the last few where theres a slump.

All the Tiffany Aching books are great.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

dmboogie posted:

Thud! is fantastic; Wintersmith, Making Money, and I Shall Wear Midnight aren't highlights of the series or anything but they're still pretty enjoyable.

Snuff is bad and I've heard Raising Steam is even worse? Apparently The Shepherd's crown is better but I can't bring myself to read it. :smith:

The Shepard's Crown is more like a book outline than a real novel. The first half or so sets up quite a bit and the back half things just sort of happen in rapid succession in a way that screams "unfinished book". The way the story goes I almost feel like Pratchett meant for this to be the final Discworld book but never got a chance to properly finish it.

I liked Raising Steam but I liked all the Moist books. It was always amusing to see the Watch from the other side.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Raising Steam was the first discworld novel that I had to put down because the prose & dialogue super rubbed me the wrong way. It was really disheartening and the main reason I haven't gotten around to The Shepherd's Crown.

Night Watch is kinda interesting because it seems to me like a novel set in a fantasy universe with almost all the fantasy elements stripped out. Everybody in the main plot is human, the only magic there seems more to enable the premise than anything (Vimes goes back in time), and there's very few moments like the million-to-one thing back in Guards! Guards!.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Thud! Is still my favorite of all time, though Going Postal and Monstrous Regiment are very close behind. MR is probably the best introduction to feminism you can give someone, showing how sexism can be so deeply internalized that the victims themselves become their own co-oppressors.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Thud! Is still my favorite of all time, though Going Postal and Monstrous Regiment are very close behind. MR is probably the best introduction to feminism you can give someone, showing how sexism can be so deeply internalized that the victims themselves become their own co-oppressors.

Honestly I'd say that men and women are both victims of sexism. Toxic masculinity is no fun for the boys it doesn't come naturally to.

I think it was Jingo! that had women handing out white feathers to any fit young man who hadn't volunteered for the war yet. Didn't work on Nobby, of course. He just kept eagerly collecting shame feathers until he had enough for a pillow.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Honestly I'd say that men and women are both victims of sexism. Toxic masculinity is no fun for the boys it doesn't come naturally to.
True, but it's kinda like the difference between stepping on a museum thumbtack and stepping on an escaped alligator lurking in the garden.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Poil posted:

True, but it's kinda like the difference between stepping on a museum thumbtack and stepping on an escaped alligator lurking in the garden.

You're only worth what you do, and your bank account defines you.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This is getting dangerously far from the topic at hand, which is Discworld

I'd say the true Discworld experience starts with Guards Guards and ends with Thud, with the books in order.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

This is getting dangerously far from the topic at hand, which is Discworld

I'd say the true Discworld experience starts with Guards Guards and ends with Thud, with the books in order.

this is wyrd sisters erasure

pyramids is pretty alright too i guess

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think it was Jingo! that had women handing out white feathers to any fit young man who hadn't volunteered for the war yet. Didn't work on Nobby, of course. He just kept eagerly collecting shame feathers until he had enough for a pillow.

He didn't say only women suffer from sexism.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Who What Now posted:

He didn't say only women suffer from sexism.

To be fair, I don't think anyone here actually said it; and while my own statement may have inadvertently implied it, it was unintentional and unmeant as such.

Speaking of non-sequiturs: did anyone here ever see that hilarious Rincewind fan-video someone made for Pterry when he attended a con in Australia? It has the wizard literally "meet his maker", and it is wonderful!

Edit: Aha! Found the link: https://vimeo.com/1331679

TheAceOfLungs fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 8, 2017

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's stolen pretty much directly from strategies they used to get recruits in England for World War 1. They paid young ladies to stick feathers on anyone who looked like they could be fighting.

I was listening to a podcast today that has my new favorite historical anecdote. Right before the Revolutions of 1848 Italian citizens were trying to put pressure on the Austrian government by basically denying them tax revenue. They decided the best way to do this would be to quit smoking and quit playing the lottery. Their goal was to do it peacefully and prevent the occupying Austrian armies from having an excuse to lay the hammer down.

The Austrian General was this really clever old man who decided the best way to provoke them into doing something violent that he could crack down on would be to give every soldier in his army a bunch of cigars. He told them to smoke them publicly and in as much of an obnoxious way as possible. Oh, and also he doubled their rum ration.

So all these Italian citizens are trying to quit smoking to put pressure on the Austrian government and Austrian soldiers are blowing cigar smoke in their face and just generally being huge gaping assholes. It ended up provoking a riot/disturbance with over 50 dead.

History is better than Fiction.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The Revolutions podcast is great!

I really hope Rich hasn't been abducted by an army of starving housewives.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

nothing to seehere posted:

Raising Steam is essentially a "Going through the motions" book about tech with Von Liwpig - it feels like it's just doing what feels like should be in a Pratchett novel about progress, instead of actually being one.

Ugh, I'd completely forgotten about raising steam. It's the first and so far only book I didn't finish.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I couldn't go on after reading Snuff. :(

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Monstrous Regiment kind of fell flat at the end for me, I got tired of the deus ex machina that literally everyone but Blouse and Vimes are women. I really liked the first two thirds though, and Polly's character progression all the way to the end was fantastic.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Monstrous Regiment kind of fell flat at the end for me, I got tired of the deus ex machina that literally everyone but Blouse and Vimes are women. I really liked the first two thirds though, and Polly's character progression all the way to the end was fantastic.

It was only a third of the high command. But that was kind of the joke/message of the story.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

I think I understand your feeling. But on the plus side, at least it passes the Bechdel test.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheAceOfLungs posted:

I think I understand your feeling. But on the plus side, at least it passes the Bechdel test.

So does Debbie Does Dallas.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

To be fair that's literally the entire point of the book right down to the title.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, after a bit it wasn't meant to be surprise reveals to the reader, just... more of the way things were.

And yeah, if you knew the reference the title tipped the whole thing from the start.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 9, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The point of the book is, in part, that the country has run out of young men to send off to die. They've even run out of old men to send them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The actual point of Pratchett's books was hoping rich was okay.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ikanreed posted:

I would trade rich being okay for an alive and okay Pratchett

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shugojin posted:

I would trade rich being okay for an alive and okay Pratchett

But my all caps tribute posts would be meaningless

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Can we have Douglas Adams back too?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Can we have Douglas Adams back too?

He'd probably just die again of some alcohol-related illness in a few months.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

honestly, i'm terrified a still-alive douglas adams would turn out to reveal him as terrible given his heavy leaning into the burgeoning new-atheists and where that whole mess has gone since then

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

AriadneThread posted:

honestly, i'm terrified a still-alive douglas adams would turn out to reveal him as terrible given his heavy leaning into the burgeoning new-atheists and where that whole mess has gone since then

Nah, I can't think of any good writers who did that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ray Bradbury kinda spiraled in his old age.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AriadneThread posted:

Eh, he was pals with Fry, who's managed to be heavily that way inclined without going down the total dick path.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Where's my Rich? Is that my Rich? It goes "The next part will be text only". It's a Balder! That is not my Rich!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Ray Bradbury kinda spiraled in his old age.

kinda? he turned into a loving maniac who tried to pretend his most famous book was about the opposite of what it was about

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

kinda? he turned into a loving maniac who tried to pretend his most famous book was about the opposite of what it was about
His spiral was actually what made me realize I'm afraid of senility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mandatory lesbian posted:

He said Fahrenheit 451 was about how television culture harmed literacy. That's hardly maniacal.

Unless there was more to that than I heard.