Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

hmm should be able to make a 12 hour confit and 1 hr breast work. ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What can you do with duck legs and SV?

Yeah, 155 or 160 for half a day, until they get really tender. Then fry briefly in fat (duckfat, lard, whatever) to get some browning, serve over greens.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I did some carrots in the puddle earlier and have some boneless-skinless chicken thighs in there right now.

The carrots I did with salt, pepper, butter and cumin at 185 F for 1 hour. The chicken thighs were mostly frozen and I threw them into the vacuum bag (both foods sealed with a Foodsaver) with a store-bought jerk sauce at 165 F for 2 hours to take into account the frozen factor, with 25 minutes left.

Super excited for the results.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Ok guys, I have an 850g beef eye fillet roll /roast (I think Americans would call it a beef tenderloin centre cut roll?) and some liquid sm9e and I want to soups vide it. I've seen some that say season, sear then 2 hours, then sear again does this sound right? Any good recipes for spice rubs to give it a nice bbq flavour or just season and let the beef flavour come there

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I don't have any advice for you but I love the "soups vide" autocorrect

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I got a bag of raw shrimp, scallops, and calamari. I think it might be difficult to sv them all together, should just stir fry them right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've been warned that cooking shellfish sous vide is a bad idea, because they turn pasty if cooked for a long time

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Steve Yun posted:

I've been warned that cooking shellfish sous vide is a bad idea, because they turn pasty if cooked for a long time

It's fine, but shellfish sous vide times are measured in minutes, not hours.

Serious Eats recommends not going past 30 minutes for shrimp, for example.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/the-food-labs-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-shrimp.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I do shrimp all the time. No point doing scallops though, IMO, since you pretty much always want to sear them anyway.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Is there a go-to torch for searing? Is that Sansaire Searing Kit or Searzall worth it at all? If the Searzall, which torch would pair best with it?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Just buy a MAPP blowtorch

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Check out Sous Vide Everything on YouTube. They do some searing comparisons, though of course it doesn't even have Food Lab or ATK levels of scientific rigor.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

Check out Sous Vide Everything on YouTube. They do some searing comparisons, though of course it doesn't even have Food Lab or ATK levels of scientific rigor.

I think that dude is crazy. I mean he does some good comparisons on stuff. However, his experiments are sometimes not very controlled I feel and see a ton of inconsistency when he's changing his variables or he has no control what so ever.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Hi sous vide crew. I bought my Anova last week. First two tries with pork loin and strip loin were a success. Last night I thought I'd get a batch of hardboiled eggs done. The anova app and serious eats' egg guide promised me great eggs at 160° for 45 minutes, however, this is what I got:
https://i.imgur.com/XOazMa8.jpg
So what went wrong?

I now have 8 eggs like that, I'll boil them for a couple of minutes to set the whites, but any tips for the future? Longer time or higher temp?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

uhh if you want hardboiled eggs boil them.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Though I had read the white/yolks would be "better" slow cooked and wanted to try. Just rechecked and I got 160° from the app but serious eats goes up to 165°.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You won't get fully set whites until like 180ish degrees iirc, I think there's a chart in the OP. I have no idea how long it takes to get the solid white at that temp so I also have no idea if you could cook the egg at 180 and pull it while the yolk is still a decent texture and the white's solid. I'd wager there's no benefit and maybe detriment over a hardboil.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
What I have found with eggs is to drop them in boiling water for like a minute, then an ice bath, then sous vide at the lower temp. This results in a small layer of the white being set, with the rest of the whites and the yolks being runny. This lets you peel it without there being a total mess, but still have runny stuff.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I tried ramen eggs and hard boiled sous vide. Both were better just done on the stove.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, people almost universally want the whites to be more done than the yolks, and with the whites conveniently surrounding the yolk, it turns out cooking with a gradient is the best way to do that

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
After several tests trying to figure out how long to boil the eggs to fix them, I ran into an interesting effect. Slow cooking them set the yolk, but didn't dry it. Boiling them from chilled afterwards mostly set the white, but left a creamy layer just around the yolk which itself had just warmed up. It was good, but not sure it's worth the hassle.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think you described the 6 minute egg

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Guess I have never had a 6 minute egg. Until recently I have strongly disliked runny whites, so cooked whites and runny yolk was perfect.

Not sure I've had an egg with a cooked yolk and runny white though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Separate, cook, recombine.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Meat glue back together

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

Meat glue back together

I'm genuinely mulling over in my head whether proteins that have already been cooked will glue back together, or if the casein in the meat glue is enough to do the job.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
When following cooking times from the anova app, or other places, do I have to add the estimated time it takes for the item to get up to the water temp? (Eg Baldwin's Table 2.2 http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_2.2)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Make sure the water is at temp before you toss in food.

Toss in food.

Start clock.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

Is there a go-to torch for searing? Is that Sansaire Searing Kit or Searzall worth it at all? If the Searzall, which torch would pair best with it?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/06/how-hot-is-too-hot-steak-searing-adam-savage-tested.html

tl;dw - Kenji and Adam Savage test searing methods for sous-vide steak and prefer using a grate over a charcoal chimney starter (like Alton Brown used) for searing over using a plain grill or even a Searzall.

I have a Searzall and a gas grill but almost always just sear my steak in a little oil in a cast iron skillet, or a stainless steel skillet to finish, but if I was trying to impress, I could see spending the extra effort firing up a chimney.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

rgocs posted:

Hi sous vide crew. I bought my Anova last week. First two tries with pork loin and strip loin were a success. Last night I thought I'd get a batch of hardboiled eggs done. The anova app and serious eats' egg guide promised me great eggs at 160° for 45 minutes, however, this is what I got:
https://i.imgur.com/XOazMa8.jpg
So what went wrong?

I now have 8 eggs like that, I'll boil them for a couple of minutes to set the whites, but any tips for the future? Longer time or higher temp?

203F for 15 minutes, chill in an ice bath for a bit and peel. Perfect every time, I do it for deviled eggs.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Steve Yun posted:

Make sure the water is at temp before you toss in food.

Toss in food.

Start clock.

...add 30 minutes if tossing in frozen items...

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/sousvide/comments/779b6r/so_i_got_a_cooler_with_8_big_chickens_in_it_how/

This dude going to make people sick

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anova app update supports water bath pre-prep whatchama-whatever. Also more Kenji recipes.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Anova app update supports water bath pre-prep whatchama-whatever. Also more Kenji recipes.

Ummm what?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

sterster posted:

Ummm what?

This, I guess:

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Last weekend I cooked 3 entire tri-tip roasts for a weekend party a couple days later to be seared before serving. 2 of them I cooked about 3 hours at 135 (my usual preferred temp), and 1 I cooked at 130 for 7.5 hours because I fell asleep. Surprisingly, they weren't all that different. I didn't get a photo but they were similar in color and not drastically different in tenderness. 16 people ate about 8 lbs of tri tip in no time at all so I guess I'm making more next time.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have embarked on a 22-hour cottage roll (sweet pickled boneless pork shoulder, popular up here in Canada) at 165 F.

I am expecting hammy goodness tomorrow.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I have some boneless short ribs I want to puddle. If I'm going to do them for 72 hours I need to seat first, correct? And then once more when they're done?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t bother with searing them, tbh, just SV and sauce. I found it didn’t make much difference when I tried half and half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I want to do chicken breasts for a semi-fancy dinner, but I'm not sold on SVing them. Do you guys feel like you can get a good all-over crisp to the skin without a torch and without frankensteining? If not, I'll more likely go with ATK's heavily buttered high-temp oven method.