Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'd get a Grom if they were $1k new, but they seem insanely overpriced for what they are. Also not sure if I'd even fit on a Grom, I took the MSF class on a Honda 125cc eliminator and my knees were hitting my elbows when trying to steer hard. The instructor just told me it was going to be a lot easier when I was on a "real" bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

MomJeans420 posted:

I'd get a Grom if they were $1k new, but they seem insanely overpriced for what they are. Also not sure if I'd even fit on a Grom, I took the MSF class on a Honda 125cc eliminator and my knees were hitting my elbows when trying to steer hard. The instructor just told me it was going to be a lot easier when I was on a "real" bike.

How tall are you? I had an elim 125 for a while, and it was pretty comfy for my 6'1" height.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

6'3", although it wasn't that it was uncomfortable, just that body parts would hit together that shouldn't. It's been a long time so I don't remember exactly how it felt, but I bet 2hrs on that bike (not on a freeway) would be more comfortable than 2 hrs on my current sport bike, which has a great position if I was at the track, not so great for hitting 10 stop signs in a row around town.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I'm about 5'9 and the bars smash into my knees on the Grom if I turn them hard. To be fair, though, it's like almost 180 degrees lock to lock on this thing. You really don't need to turn them that far and if you do it's probably easier to stand on the pegs anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“MomJeans420”" post="“476888434”"]
I’d get a Grom if they were $1k new, but they seem insanely overpriced for what they are.
[/quote]

You know the grom isn't a Chinese scooter, right? It's still a Honda and everything that entails.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hey cool, a dealership near me has three Groms on the showroom floor. I think I'm going to go see if I can talk them into letting me putt around on one tomorrow. It'll be like a bear at the circus.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So I got a flat about a month ago and jammed a rope plug in it, inflated and was back on the road. The fucker won't stay inflated now, and for the life of me no matter how much soap I spray on it I can't find where its leaking from. I rode about 400 miles last week and it went from 42 to 17psi. I don't really feel like buying tires right now but it looks like I will have to since I cannot trust the ones I have.

4300 miles on a set of roadtec 01s, and they look like they had another 2-3k left in them. Not bad tires but I don't like the way the rear squared off. Maybe a set of roadsmart 3s next.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

rdb posted:

So I got a flat about a month ago and jammed a rope plug in it, inflated and was back on the road. The fucker won't stay inflated now, and for the life of me no matter how much soap I spray on it I can't find where its leaking from. I rode about 400 miles last week and it went from 42 to 17psi. I don't really feel like buying tires right now but it looks like I will have to since I cannot trust the ones I have.

4300 miles on a set of roadtec 01s, and they look like they had another 2-3k left in them. Not bad tires but I don't like the way the rear squared off. Maybe a set of roadsmart 3s next.

Check your valve core/valve stem.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I hope there's a special place in hell for the jagoffs who jump the gun at four-way stops and decide to plow through the intersection when you're already halfway through it, then completely ignore you when you honk at them and refuse to acknowledge the fact that they just put another human being at risk of serious bodily harm.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Communist Walrus posted:

I hope there's a special place in hell for the jagoffs who jump the gun at four-way stops and decide to plow through the intersection when you're already halfway through it, then completely ignore you when you honk at them and refuse to acknowledge the fact that they just put another human being at risk of serious bodily harm.

Sir, this is why the founding fathers blessed us with the second amendment.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

pokie posted:

Sir, this is why the founding fathers blessed us with the second amendment.

Why, so you can shoot yourself in the nuts at getting so mad at such an everyday occurrence?

Real answer is this is why god gave us supermotos - so when it happens you can just do a wheelie and forget it ever happened.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Koruthaiolos posted:

Why, so you can shoot yourself in the nuts at getting so mad at such an everyday occurrence?

Real answer is this is why god gave us supermotos - so when it happens you can just do a wheelie and forget it ever happened.

I am, of course, not serious. Instead just wheelie on top of their trunk. Ideally this is during winter and you have studded tires.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd like to buy whoever designed the quantum sidestand switch on the 1000cc Aprilia vtwins a nice tall glass of iocane.

Here's how I'd expect something like this to work:

When it's down it closes or opens a circuit that the ECM reads, and then the ECM controls the circuits for the ignition cutout and the idiot light. Binary on/off. Works or doesn't.

How it really works:

It's a 3-pole switch with rotary action and tolerances the size of the Grand Canyon placed in the path of any sort of thrown oil or road grime. When it's down it closes a circuit to illuminate the idiot light. When it's up it closes a separate circuit to light up the ignition system. In no case does the circuit actually reach the ECM.

What happens when the ignition side contacts are dirty or corroded or broken but the idiot light contact works fine? The bike still tells you the side stand is up or down accurately, but will intermittently leave you stranded or try to make you high side in a turn.

It's-a good enough-a!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey at least it's not cast into the engine case, necessitating a new motor if you set it down too hard.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm about to cut and splice some wires up in this piece.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I'd like to buy whoever designed the quantum sidestand switch on the 1000cc Aprilia vtwins a nice tall glass of iocane.

Here's how I'd expect something like this to work:

When it's down it closes or opens a circuit that the ECM reads, and then the ECM controls the circuits for the ignition cutout and the idiot light. Binary on/off. Works or doesn't.

How it really works:

It's a 3-pole switch with rotary action and tolerances the size of the Grand Canyon placed in the path of any sort of thrown oil or road grime. When it's down it closes a circuit to illuminate the idiot light. When it's up it closes a separate circuit to light up the ignition system. In no case does the circuit actually reach the ECM.

What happens when the ignition side contacts are dirty or corroded or broken but the idiot light contact works fine? The bike still tells you the side stand is up or down accurately, but will intermittently leave you stranded or try to make you high side in a turn.

It's-a good enough-a!

Honestly that sounds like far too much effort for an italian, it wouldn't surprise me if that particular bit was farmed out to a german firm.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So I am stupid/cheap and decided to check my leaking roadtec 01 for more holes. It now has 4 plugs in it, all in the same little area, 2 right next to each other, and I could have plugged a 5th little hole. I am afraid to ride on it at this point. Whats everyones opinion of dunlop roadsmart 3? I don't want to go back to metzeler.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My opinion of all tires is this: Buy Michelin

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pilot Roads are magic, it's true. God mode levels of grip in wet and dry alike.

Unfortunately they're just as vulnerable to punctures as anything else :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, there's basically zero excuse, for road use for 99% of users, to buy anything other than PR3s or PR4s, they're almost cheating.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I buy PR3s -and- insurance for them because my luck is *that* bad.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How and where do I buy tyre insurance?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Cyclegear sells it, I use them because I like talkin to the guys who work there.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So that tire insurance got me thinking I should just buy from cycle gear. They only have a dunlop q3+ in 190/55/17. No Michelins. Still thinking I will give them a try, since they are in stock.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'll offer the counter advice of Angel GTs

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, there's basically zero excuse, for road use for 99% of users, to buy anything other than PR3s or PR4s, they're almost cheating.

I'm cheap and keep buying Bridgestone BT-023s, I think they're almost as good as PRs (for commuting, anyway).

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I ride with the Angel GT and love it, but they don't grip as well as the PR4 in wet or dry. Their advantage is that you can usually squeeze more miles out of them since they're a harder compound. Still great tires, though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Seriously. Why does anyone else even bother making tires?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Some people like different things. I like the longevity and wet grip of pilot roads/powers but the feel leaves a lot to be desired; PR4's especially feel really nervous when leaned and like they're never up to temperature for me. Angel GT's are an excellent alternative and feel much more sporty; actual Pirelli sportbike tyres blow other brands out of the water as far as I'm concerned, only dunlops get close to the kind of feel you get.

Dunlop roadsmarts are also really, really good. But also retarded expensive and horrible to mount.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Razzled posted:

Cyclegear sells it, I use them because I like talkin to the guys who work there.

Oh poo poo, really? gently caress Amazon, that'll be where I buy my tires henceforth. I plugged the Ninja once and the SV twice in 10k mi.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Slavvy posted:

Some people like different things. I like the longevity and wet grip of pilot roads/powers but the feel leaves a lot to be desired; PR4's especially feel really nervous when leaned and like they're never up to temperature for me. Angel GT's are an excellent alternative and feel much more sporty; actual Pirelli sportbike tyres blow other brands out of the water as far as I'm concerned, only dunlops get close to the kind of feel you get.

Dunlop roadsmarts are also really, really good. But also retarded expensive and horrible to mount.

Maybe its the whole NZ import thing, but here a set of PR4s is close to $375 US, whereas a set of road smart 3s is $314, and if you time it right usually a rebate. The last one was $100, which would have made the roadsmarts nearly half price. This is for 190/55R17 and 120/70R17. Same with the metzeler roadtec 01s I have on now, $100 cheaper for the set compared to PR4s, I figured how bad could they be. And they weren't bad, just a little squirmy when leaned over if the road was less than perfect.

Heading to cycle gear now. I will report back on the q3+ once I get them installed this afternoon. Not expecting huge mileage out of these but if they perform like the diablo rosso 2s the bike came with I will be happy. Especially with a road hazard warranty.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Seriously. Why does anyone else even bother making tires?

Metzeler elephant lean angle indicator outweighs all else in tire selection.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Roadtec 01s have replaced the Pilot Road 4 as my tire of choice.

Also, clutchpuck, goddamn that is Italian af.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So cyclegear does offer road hazard, but only if they install them. It would have been $25 per tire for installation and an additional $25 for road hazard, which only replaces the tire if its within certain wear. So $100 extra, and thats if I brought the rims and tires off the bike. I passed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Koruthaiolos posted:

Metzeler elephant lean angle indicator outweighs all else in tire selection.

Michelin has the little bibendum man holding up the lean, but it isn't as good as the elephant, you're right.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Or you can just ride without paying attention to the little ego stroking mold the marketing division of a tire manufacturer added to the design of a okay tire they make.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want to know what Michelin's come with a colored logo so I can flaunt my superior purchasing decisions to the public.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

rdb posted:

Maybe its the whole NZ import thing, but here a set of PR4s is close to $375 US, whereas a set of road smart 3s is $314, and if you time it right usually a rebate. The last one was $100, which would have made the roadsmarts nearly half price. This is for 190/55R17 and 120/70R17. Same with the metzeler roadtec 01s I have on now, $100 cheaper for the set compared to PR4s, I figured how bad could they be. And they weren't bad, just a little squirmy when leaned over if the road was less than perfect.

Heading to cycle gear now. I will report back on the q3+ once I get them installed this afternoon. Not expecting huge mileage out of these but if they perform like the diablo rosso 2s the bike came with I will be happy. Especially with a road hazard warranty.

It is definitely the import monopoly thing, roadsmarts are about $100/pair more than PR4's here. Angel GT's and Metzlers are the cheapest not-poo poo ST tyres you can get.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

Honestly that sounds like far too much effort for an italian, it wouldn't surprise me if that particular bit was farmed out to a german firm.

Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Slavvy posted:

^^^^This^^^^ PR4s let my traction control kick in in even in what I would consider moderate throttle levels, but they are great in the wet. The Pirellis may be my next choice, but, I have to ask, do they have the triangular section that I never found comforting? Failing that, the Dunlops may be my next choice.