Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Rough yellow card there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Welp.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

slothrop posted:

so anyone care to comment on the 2nd place in the Rugby Championship match?

Wait, so the Wallabies played this weekend?
Wow that's a spectacular way to make sure you're in a game literally no Australian will give a poo poo about.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Well a bullshit yellow card each I suppose it balances out

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro

Smorgasbord posted:

Well a bullshit yellow card each I suppose it balances out

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Combative second half, shame we couldn't go on with it.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
This Rugby Championship has shown that Australia and South Africa are as bad/good as each other and Argentina down a level from them.

But is anyone outside of New Zealand concerned about how much better the All Blacks seem to be? Even during their worst half of rugby all year they dominated the Pumas. Not that I am complaining but I can't see them getting knocked of the number one spot until after the 2019 world cup (and even then it doesn't look too likely).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

This Rugby Championship has shown that Australia and South Africa are as bad/good as each other and Argentina down a level from them.

But is anyone outside of New Zealand concerned about how much better the All Blacks seem to be? Even during their worst half of rugby all year they dominated the Pumas. Not that I am complaining but I can't see them getting knocked of the number one spot until after the 2019 world cup (and even then it doesn't look too likely).

I still don't believe this is anything more than New Zealand feeling like they should've won the Lions tour and taking it out on the Southern Hemisphere.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Sadly makes the Rugby Championship a bit dull as far as a contest is concerned. NZ are a step above anyone in that tournament and barring a pretty bad game from them, no one seems capable of beating them just now.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Schlesische posted:

I still don't believe this is anything more than New Zealand feeling like they should've won the Lions tour and taking it out on the Southern Hemisphere.

They're playing pretty similarly I think, the Lions were just better competition.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

It's weird because Aus and the boks both look decent on paper. But yeah if Aus, SA and France continue to be bad then world rugby might be in big trouble

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

One thing I'm wondering about is how a player getting tackled in the air, mid-leap, is suddenly no longer a penalty offence after a couple of months.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So apparently Toulon know something we all dont as they have signed noted showboater and game giver awayer Rhys Webb.

This also fucks over Rhys Webb as Wales are not going to burn a Wildcard spot to bring him in.

gently caress Rhys Webb

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
NBC have signed a 6-year deal to broadcast The Six Nations in the USA.

The England vs Ireland game will be heavily promoted and broadcast on NBC, with full pre and post-game game studio coverage. The other games will be shown on NBCSN, CNBC and NBC Sports Gold, with plans to roll out additional studio coverage as the competition picks up steam.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tyma posted:

NBC have signed a 6-year deal to broadcast The Six Nations in the USA.

The England vs Ireland game will be heavily promoted and broadcast on NBC, with full pre and post-game game studio coverage. The other games will be shown on NBCSN, CNBC and NBC Sports Gold, with plans to roll out additional studio coverage as the competition picks up steam.

This feels like a good thing, a bit of extra cash into the 6 Nations won't go amiss unless they just funnel it all into England and France. I know the SRU could do with a cash injection so they could fire everyone and hire competent staff.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aramoro posted:

unless they just funnel it all into England and France.

Everyone knows this is what's happening.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Schlesische posted:

Everyone knows this is what's happening.

I like to dream the impossible dream.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Dragons are winning a game. It's not against Italians. It's not even a home game.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

goatface posted:

The Dragons are winning a game. It's not against Italians. It's not even a home game.

Gavin Henson is unironically the best player in Wales by such a margin right now that it's not even funny.

Both Blues/Dragons and Cheetahs/Warriors are amazing right now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What a hosed up world.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love that The Dragons started a fight, so that their defensive line could have a 5-minute rest.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Normal service has resumed.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Tyma posted:

I love that The Dragons started a fight, so that their defensive line could have a 5-minute rest.

99 call has been a legit tactic for a long time now...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Garces is a loving joke.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

butros posted:

Garces is a loving joke.

Skipped the SA-NZ expecting another 57-0, really surprised by the score line. What'd Garces do this time?

E: just watched it, never a red. Similar thing went unpunished in the Ulster-Connacht game last night, the inconsistency in reffing collisions after charge downs really needs to be addressed.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 7, 2017

butros
Aug 2, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Skipped the SA-NZ expecting another 57-0, really surprised by the score line. What'd Garces do this time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV2uu63hmIw

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Lol, on what planet is a late elbow to the head not a red card!?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Lima milked that. Penalty for marginally late sure but that's it.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

HappyCamperGL posted:

Lol, on what planet is a late elbow to the head not a red card!?

I'm not opposed to a NFL style roughing the kicker rule where any contact following a charge down is a card but we don't have that at the minute. Sometimes it's a red, sometimes it's nothing and the inconsistency is loving infuriating.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I agree that if the only issue was the lateness, then a penalty and a talking to would suffice. But the fact he hit the black 22's head with the elbow with force makes it a red. That's just the rules with regards to head contact now.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Malcolm Marx had an amazing match

Interesting how two blow out games produced two all time classic test matches in the return match (NZ vs Aus Bledisloe 2, today's Nz vs SA)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Yeah that's 100% a red for me. Once the ball is gone he takes two steps then twists/jumps to make first contact with his elbow/forearm to the head. That's malicious and deserves the red.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Yeah I dunno. Just looked lazy to my eyes. Was stupid, sure, but a yellow would have been more than enough.

Fantastic match. Hope Barrett's okay, but I fear for Mulder-Scully. SBW had a terrible night with the ball, but was a monster on defence. 22 loving tackles. McKenzie stepped up and Havili is an exciting talent. The SA front row were brilliant at turning the ball over and their backs looked great running. Shame their halfback kept kicking the ball in the first half instead of giving them a go.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Yellow card in the arg vs Aus game...not a fan of that call. Just a big collision. Argentina again their worst enemies though with cards and missed opportunities.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Well I am relieved the All Blacks won. Thanks SA for kicking the ball away for a good portion of the game.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Was it this thread where people were saying McKenzie was the worst all black ever?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bigfoot again posted:

Was it this thread where people were saying McKenzie was the worst all black ever?

It was me, and he was one of the worst at that point.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

Do you recant your heresy now?

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Smorgasbord posted:

Yeah he has certainly grown into the jersey this year but there were some rather less satisfactory displays at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sometimes players need time to find their feet at the test level, and that means patience. If they're hitting double digits and still loving useless, like Lauaki was, then yeah, they're terrible. To say he's one of the worst when there have been some shockers over the years like Chris Tegaskis or the aforementioned Sione Lauaki, and McKenzie, even at his worst, was nowhere near as bad as those two. Tregaskis couldn't even do the core duties of his position and Lauaki won a Bledisloe test for Australia because he was so abysmal, for goodness' sake.