Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Just go inside and talk to the peasants or whoever in their house like we're a normal person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
This is like the prototype of a CYOA roadside sage hut.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Enter the Hut.
About Legends, I've read the first books and I mist admit I really didn't like them. The Gamebooks are absolutely one of my favorites, but often the narrative in the novels felt... forced, too many elements of grimdarkness pushed in there only for effect, not for a true narrative purpose.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

Enter the Hut.
About Legends, I've read the first books and I mist admit I really didn't like them. The Gamebooks are absolutely one of my favorites, but often the narrative in the novels felt... forced, too many elements of grimdarkness pushed in there only for effect, not for a true narrative purpose.

Agreed. There's plenty of overt butchery of soldiers, bystanders, and children that permeates the early books, plus numerous mentions of rape by raiding giaks. I could understand some of that with a more adult targeted audience, but it just sits uncomfortably here.

Tangential factoid: Lone Wolf receives a bottle of potable Tongues spells from the captain of the Green Scepter before he dies. He later uses this to speak to the Noodnicks in the tunnel to Durenor (did we skip them?) but it resurfaces in Kalte when he uses it to listen in on gossip of his guides and tell the sled dogs to shut up while they get hoisted up a mountain scaled as part of their journey. I appreciated seeing that little tie-in between books that also provides a mechanism for showing a segment of the story otherwise locked behind a rather specific skill. Some of the skills like healing and weapon mastery are easy enough to write in, whilst others are a bit ham handed: 'He had heard tell of the skill of Tracking, and suddenly saw the same field, only in the middle of winter with footprints clearly going to the left towards Holmgard,' (roughly paraphrased.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ratatozsk posted:

Tangential factoid: Lone Wolf receives a bottle of potable Tongues spells from the captain of the Green Scepter before he dies. He later uses this to speak to the Noodnicks in the tunnel to Durenor (did we skip them?) but it resurfaces in Kalte when he uses it to listen in on gossip of his guides and tell the sled dogs to shut up while they get hoisted up a mountain scaled as part of their journey. I appreciated seeing that little tie-in between books that also provides a mechanism for showing a segment of the story otherwise locked behind a rather specific skill. Some of the skills like healing and weapon mastery are easy enough to write in, whilst others are a bit ham handed: 'He had heard tell of the skill of Tracking, and suddenly saw the same field, only in the middle of winter with footprints clearly going to the left towards Holmgard,' (roughly paraphrased.)
We met the Noodnics.

Tracking should be pretty easy to write in though. It's never going to be hugely significant, but a protagonist with an innate ability to always know which way is north and spot things like animal tracks, etc. is hardly unique to this series.

Mikl posted:

Guys, put these red shirts on and then go inside.
This decision actually changes nothing, but don't worry, we'll have more opportunities to send these guys into dangerous situations.

The Chasm of Doom posted:

Your men push open the door with their swords and quickly enter. You hear a muffled voice, and a ranger soon reappears at the door. ‘It is safe, my Lord,’ he says, and stands aside to allow you to enter.

In the dim light of the interior, you see an old man seated at a table. The flicker of a log fire is all that illuminates this foul-smelling hovel, yet it sheds enough light for you to see the clutter of charts and strange instruments that crowd the hut. The man slowly raises his gaze from a large crystal sphere and bids you sit opposite him.

‘You know my name—how?’ you ask warily.

‘The stars foretold our meeting long ago, Lone Wolf,’ he replies, slowly passing his withered old hands around the sphere. ‘Be not alarmed by my knowledge for I wish only to aid you.’ He produces a small scroll of parchment from within his robe, and he hands it to you. Upon the scroll is written the following verse:

When the full moon shines o’er the temple deep,
A sacrifice will stir from sleep
The legions of a long forgotten lord.
When a fair royal maid on the altar dies,
The dead of Maakengorge shall rise
To claim their long-awaited reward.

You ask the meaning of the strange verse, but the old man does not answer you. He seems to have fallen into a deep trance. You lean across the cluttered table to awaken him and are shocked to see your hand pass straight through his body. Gradually his image begins to fade. Within seconds he has disappeared completely.

You place the Scroll in your pocket and quickly leave the hut, pausing only to wipe the cold sweat from your brow.

You have ridden less than five miles when you see a group of wagons on the highway ahead. They are painted in a gaudy mix of bright colours and drawn by teams of oxen. A huge tasselled banner flies above the leading wagon, which bears the following proclamation:

The Famous Asajir Players—Troubadours to the Imperial Courts of Magnamund

Should we stop and question these people or just let them go about their business?

I have always hated that poem.

Interestingly, the meeting with the old man is retconned pretty heavily in the novels, but in a way that won't become apparent for a long while yet and for no reason I could ever discern. Essentially, we're going to meet that guy again and the gamebooks are going to acknowledge that, whereas the novels go out of their way to say "nope, definitely wasn't him."

Oh, and once again I've just got to comment on how utterly hideous some of Gary Chalk's illustrations of people are. That second troubadour looks like a corpse. An ugly corpse.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Creepy old man... creepier poem.

Now let us question the traveling minstrels.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Chalk could illustrate monsters pretty well IMO, he just couldn't draw humans.

Talk to the circus folk.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tiggum posted:

Oh, and once again I've just got to comment on how utterly hideous some of Gary Chalk's illustrations of people are. That second troubadour looks like a corpse. An ugly corpse.[/i]

I kind of like this about the Lone Wolf series, it's refreshing to not have everyone be some pretty and featureless anime-looking fantasy person. And they don't usually look like purposeful caricatures either, just... ugly people! They're around! It's nice.

Stop and question that ugly guy

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Oh, and once again I've just got to comment on how utterly hideous some of Gary Chalk's illustrations of people are. That second troubadour looks like a corpse. An ugly corpse.

If memory serves, a headshot of that guy was used for the death tally in the first thread.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ratatozsk posted:

If memory serves, a headshot of that guy was used for the death tally in the first thread.

Yep, that it was.

I do like how I believe this is now the third thread in a row to have a "Redshit death tally".

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

These people look highly questionable.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Question them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You signal to the driver to stop. The wagons halt and a small, moon-faced man in a bright pink tunic throws open the rear door of the leading carriage. He shouts and curses the driver as he descends the ladder, pausing only to adjust the cummerbund that barely covers his huge stomach. Seeing your men, he lets out a strangled shriek and fumbles for a short sword hanging at his side. ‘Bandits! Robbers!’ he cries, and wrestles to free his sword from its ornate scabbard. A row of anxious faces appears at the wagon windows, but the expressions soon change to a smile when they recognize your Sommlending uniforms.

‘Calm yourself, Yesu,’ shouts an elderly woman. ‘They are Sommlending rangers. They will not steal your gold.’ Laughter ripples along the carriages as the little fat man suddenly unsheathes his sword with such force that he spins around and tumbles to the ground.

‘You must forgive Yesu,’ says the old woman. ‘He means you no harm. “Raider’s Road” has made him a nervous wreck.’

You question the old woman, asking her where they have come from and their destination. You learn that they are a troupe of players and have journeyed many miles from their native land of Cloeasia in the east. They last played for the people of Eshnar, but it was a disappointing show. It seems that the town was as quiet as the grave; those who did come to see them were a sad and sorry crowd. They are now bound for Holmgard, and hopefully a more appreciative audience.

‘Light is fading,’ remarks the old woman. ‘Perhaps you and your men will camp with us tonight? We would deem it an honour, and would be happy to entertain you all with songs and dancing.’ You notice a hopeful look in the eyes of your men as they await your decision.
Shall we camp with the troubadours, or ride on through the night?

Apparently that's what used to pass for "absurdly fat".

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dinner and a show? Sold!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Our Rangers could use some entertainment before they start dying. Stay the night with the troubadours.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Let's camp with the troubadours.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
How can we pass up an evening's entertainment? Camp with them!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Camp with these thespians.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's written vaguely enough to NOT have limitations though! i say we Zoro this poo poo up and wield our holy blade in our mouth while dual-wielding 2 other weapons we find this adventure :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

:roflolmao:

The wagons are drawn into a circle and you set up camp inside. A ranger is posted to patrol the perimeter. The troubadours construct a small stage onto which strides Yesu. He calls for silence before announcing the title of their play, ‘The Brave Warriors of Sommerlund’, a choice that meets with the hearty approval of your men.

During the performance, you notice something very odd; not only is one of the actors using a real sword, but it is a type of sword only issued to officers of the Sommlending cavalry. After the play you approach the man to question him about the sword. He looks at you nervously and makes a dash for the darkness of the perimeter wagons.
Should we chase him? Or let him go?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

After him!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
A clue!

Chase him down!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Jinkies, get him!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Get that man!

I'm going to be honest, I completely forgot this book existed before this run. Chasm of Doom is about the most forgettable adventure in the Kai (and probably the Magnakai) series.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Materant posted:

Get that man!

I'm going to be honest, I completely forgot this book existed before this run. Chasm of Doom is about the most forgettable adventure in the Kai (and probably the Magnakai) series.

I actually really like it. It's just a nice adventure with some pretty cool sections.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I actually really like it. It's just a nice adventure with some pretty cool sections.

Oh, it's still cool (most ignominious Kai mission still goes to Kingdoms of Terror), it's just easy to forget next to the first two books, the arctic fortress, and what's coming next.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I really like The Kingdoms of Terror. It's not the best, but it's got a pretty unique feel to it and it's generally fun. I like this one too, though I can certainly understand why some people might not. But it's hard to really talk about either of them just yet without spoiling things, other than to say that they're both kind of light on plot. You've got an objective in both, but spend most of your time just travelling - and in KoT it's without any real sense of urgency either.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I liked this book too, also Caverns of Kalte a lot. Probably because I re-read the first 5-6 books during family road trips way more than any of the later ones, so they stuck with me pretty well and I got to appreciate their nuances.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Meandering journey-type books like Kingdoms of Terror and Book 18 later on are best served by either having an urgent purpose to the journey or having the journey itself having multiple memorable moments.

Book 18 has the former for sure. Kingdoms of Terror has one or two good scenes, but I think overall lacked enough memorable events.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Chase him.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Has anyone brought up the Android gamebook, Blood on the Snow?

I think it takes place some time before or after our current book.

https://soundcloud.com/93-steps/sets/joe-devers-lone-wolf-original

Jackard fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 9, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
He's either a deserter or a looter. Chase him!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

His expression is just magical. :allears:

...Is that dagger what I think it is? I can't imagine it tastes very good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Although the wagons are shrouded in darkness, your Kai Hunting sense reveals to you the actor’s hiding place. You climb the ladder at the rear of a large caravan, push open the door with your weapon, and enter.

In the plush candlelit interior of the caravan you find the actor, cowering beneath a blanket in the far corner. You flick the blanket aside and ask the petrified man to explain how he came to possess such a fine sword.

‘I … I bought it in Eshnar,’ he stammers, his eyes wide with fear, ‘from the innkeeper of the “Pick and Shovel” tavern.’ He grasps the sword by the blade and offers it to you. ‘If it is your sword I have unwittingly bought, I am truly sorry. Here, please take it.’

You grip the brass hilt and examine it closely. There is no doubt: it is a Sommlending cavalry sword, but the inscription on the blade makes your heart miss a beat: ‘Captain Remir D’Val—King’s Guard Regiment’.

If you wish to keep this sword, mark Captain D’val’s Sword on your Action Chart as a Weapon.

You return to the troubadours’ stage in time for a meal that has been prepared by your hosts. The steaming broth smells most appetising.
Two questions:

First, do we take the sword and give him our dagger in exchange, or let him keep the sword?
Second, do we eat the broth, eat a meal from our backpack, slip away to hunt for some food or go hungry (and lose 3 Endurance)?

vilkacis posted:

...Is that dagger what I think it is? I can't imagine it tastes very good.
:ssh:

Jackard posted:

Has anyone brought up the Android gamebook, Blood on the Snow?
I didn't even know it existed. Is it any good?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Trade Dagger for Sword, eat broth.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
He bought it, he can keep it. Not his fault it was stolen.

Also eat the stew.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Take the sword

Hunt for food

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Leave the blade, eat the broth.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

achtungnight posted:

Trade Dagger for Sword, eat broth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Take the <weapon>, leave the <foodstuff>.

Go hunt instead. You can't trust actors, especially if one of them maybe killed Captain D.