Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

A different actor should have played him in each shot.

Why limit it to shots? Different actor every frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KyloWinter posted:

The whole movie falls apart within the first 20 minutes when we are shown that replicants are made of DNA base pairs.

Yeah, the thing that got me during that whole scene was that scientists recently in the last five years been able to create synthetic Unnatural Base Pairs by using amino acids other than guanine, cytosine, adenine. and thymine.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Because you can just code for working gonads? Also because they have almost fully human DNA? Obviously mitosis is working so there seems to be no reason for meiosis to not work?

The whole replicants can't reproduce and don't have souls/aren't humans only works if they aren't made of DNA.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I saw this with my family and they all hated it. I get the feeling it's going to be extremely divisive among the general public because it really is a philosophical sci-fi fan's film first and foremost. It's long as gently caress (for good reason) and while there is a little action it's extremely spread out. Also there are a lot of semi-answers that I can get why people would find frustrating haha.

Personally I thought it was great. My only qualm would be that I don't think Blade Runner really needed to be "bigger" than it was, if that makes sense. Stories on a smaller scale have their place, but also can't blame the screen-writer for wanting to take it in his own direction. Cinematography was loving incredible.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
And furthermore, why didnt the eagles just fly frodo to my doom...

Serf
May 5, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

Because you can just code for working gonads? Also because they have almost fully human DNA? Obviously mitosis is working so there seems to be no reason for meiosis to not work?

Fair point. I assume that the failure to code for working gonads is because Wallace isn't as smart as Tyrell. The Nexus line isn't even his own creation, after all.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

PantsBandit posted:

What makes you think she is self-aware? I got the impression that she appeared to be self-aware because K/Joe was going through similar issues and she's literally designed to say exactly what you want to hear and do exactly what you want her to do. He wanted to hear he was special, he wanted her to act like he was special, so that's what she did. It's a loving tragic part of the movie, but it totally fits thematically with the larger questions of whether or not artificiality removes meaning from experiences.

I think that to me is my take away question of in circumstances beyond your control what creates an individual when your motivations are prescribed for you? Like Joi, K can't really do anything but Blade Running. But I think there's still that spark of individuality that differentiates himself from Luv, also a killing machine. When Joi names K as a Joe is she doing that just because that's what her programming compels her to or because she really wants him to feel special and in her limited framework that's the best she can work with by telling him he's "a real Joe" but actual intent is there?

I think the movie sets it self up that really any interpretation is going to be valid on the matter, but in my opinion that Joi is just like, some really advanced chat bot is the most impoverished one.

Serf posted:

Fair point. I assume that the failure to code for working gonads is because Wallace isn't as smart as Tyrell. The Nexus line isn't even his own creation, after all.

That's how I read things. Wallace is basically piggy backing on Tyrell but beyond the brain washing there doesn't seem to be any other difference between Nexus 8s and 9s.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 8, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

I think that to me is my take away question of in circumstances beyond your control what creates an individual when your motivations are prescribed for you? Like Joi, K can't really do anything but Blade Running. But I think there's still that spark of individuality that differentiates himself from Luv, also a killing machine. When Joi names K as a Joe is she doing that just because that's what her programming compels her to or because she really wants him to feel special and in her limited framework that's the best she can work with by telling him he's "a real Joe" but actual intent is there?

I think the movie sets it self up that really any interpretation is going to be valid on the matter, but in my opinion that Joi is just like, some really advanced chat bot is the most impoverished one.

I don't really know what you mean by "impoverished". I don't think her being an "advanced chatbot" makes the relationship between her and K any less meaningful for either of them. Let's say she really has no understanding or appreciation of it, If we respect her as a character because of who we've seen her as up to that point, we can still find it to have meaning for her anyways.

And for K their relationship was massively important, obviously. Either way.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ersatz posted:

It should be clear from my posts that I consider self-awareness (or at the every least the capacity for it) the most important determinant. Nothing in this film suggests that Joi is self-aware. There are, on the other hand, strong indicators that she's evolving according to an algorithm, so as to better please her owner.

Think of it this way. At the end of the first film, Roy showed compassion toward a hated enemy who had murdered his friends. This is pretty much the opposite of what you'd expect a robot designed to lead a "kick murder squad" to do. Joi on the other hand, is servile and self-sacrificing, and is eager to find new and better ways to be the best waifu ever for her specific owner. That sounds a lot like variation on the themes she was designed with.

She just realized her cherry blossom was wilting and it was time to sleep.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, the thing that got me during that whole scene was that scientists recently in the last five years been able to create synthetic Unnatural Base Pairs by using amino acids other than guanine, cytosine, adenine. and thymine.

Yeah but you're in a setting where an EMP basically killed all digital information and electronics for ten days straight and massive amounts of information, culture and technology was lost, with a bunch of companies all hoarding whatever was left for themselves.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just saw it. Absolutely loved it. Also, the primary driving plot point is startlingly similar to the third person shooter Binary Domain. the 'synthetic humans can have babies' thing

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
It irks me a lot when a movie pretends to have a deep concept but never really bothers with it, so I was glad all the 'to be born means to have a soul' stuff was actually pretty mentioned only a handful of times with very little elaboration.

That said, I don't think they made it very clear why having babies was a big deal. Maybe it's cause they're born without things on their eyes so they can slip more easily into society? Maybe it's cause they are created by themselves? Happy the movie left it open ended, but it was kind of weird to me that all the characters heard 'babies' and immediately jumped on board.

No idea what the cop ladies motivations were outside of wanting to get some Gosling. Not really sure what Love's motivations were, or if she had any.

Lovvvved the twist of him not being the one but just having the memories. That's a beautiful concept. Still, boy the movie lost me when LA RESISTANCE showed up. It would have been fine for it just have been the prostitute robot & the lady to sell the emotional hook of the scene. That prostitute bot had the same memory was really, really cool. A bunch of strangers standing in water with them... eh.

The 'Tell You Everything You Want To Hear' girl was also really neat! I was waiting for some betrayal from her directly, given that she was Wallace's product. Glad it never came.

Also, I guess Harrison Ford must be a replicant to have survived all the radiation, right? Or maybe I missed a line where they hand waved that away.

Also really loved all the loving HUGE PEOPLE. Let's make more movies with super large ballerina dancers in the streets. The visuals were worth the ticket price alone.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 8, 2017

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

EatinCake posted:

That said, I don't think they made it very clear why having babies was a big deal.
Because it's the difference between replicants being inherently doomed to die, and having a future as their own race? If replicants can have their own children, they no longer need humans to create and control them? I didn't think this was something that required much elaboration.

Serf
May 5, 2011

EatinCake posted:

It irks me a lot when a movie pretends to have a deep concept but never really bothers with it, so I was glad all the 'to be born means to have a soul' stuff was actually pretty mentioned only a handful of times with very little elaboration.

That said, I don't think they made it very clear why having babies was a big deal. Maybe it's cause they're born without things on their eyes so they can slip more easily into society? Maybe it's cause they are created by themselves? Happy the movie left it open ended, but it was kind of weird to me that all the characters heard 'babies' and immediately jumped on board.

It must be more cost-effective to have replicants be born and grow to maturity rather than assemble them fully-grown, for Wallace. For the replicants, it removes the need to have their kind grown in some facility and allows them reproductive freedom.

EatinCake posted:

Also, I guess Harrison Ford must be a replicant to have survived all the radiation, right? Or maybe I missed a line where they hand waved that away.

When K is scanning the area, it says the radiation levels are Nominal.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Serf posted:

When K is scanning the area, it says the radiation levels are Nominal.

Yeah I got the impression that living in that area is still stupidly risky (which is why the crew that came in for retrieval still wore breathers) but it's not outside the realm of possibility that someone could live there for 20 years and not be completely hosed up. Especially if they knew living anywhere safer meant death

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Was Jared Leto CGI or was that a real Jared Leto in this movie?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Interesting, points taken. Considering how messy child birth is though, I feel like it'd be considerably easier to make people 3d printers ala' west world... though I suppose that's what child birth is kinda?

Why stop at regular birth? Fix up these robots so it's not painful, always makes quintuples, can be done asexually, etc. etc.

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I got the impression that living in that area is still stupidly risky (which is why the crew that came in for retrieval still wore breathers) but it's not outside the realm of possibility that someone could live there for 20 years and not be completely hosed up. Especially if they knew living anywhere safer meant death

Maybe in 2049 we discover bee honey heals radiation poisoning

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I really, really enjoyed this movie. Did not care for Zimmer's score. It had no character, just a lot of loud as poo poo BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that in a few scenes actually distracted me from them.

Also, what I'm not entirely following is how Deckard's daughter stayed hidden but random Underground lady knew the whole time who / where she is. I get that the Blackout destroyed almost all records, and also that any humans / Replicants who may have been "in on it" were probably killed during the following human supremacy movement but it seems like Wallace would have had the resources to find someone during those 20 years or so who had loose lips. Even if they didn't spill everything, it seems they should have spilled something that he could have found out.

Serf
May 5, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I figured the area was fine to live in aside from the risks of breathing in all that dust. Hence why Deckard, a few bee colonies and a dog were able to live there for such a long time. I feel as though the fact that no one had bothered to retake Vegas was because of how isolated and empty the movie feels. Contrast the crowded, bustling streets of Blade Runner to the more sparsely-populated exterior places seen in 2049. Maybe most people have moved to the offworld colonies, or maybe they live in isolation with their Jois, only venturing out to work or shop. I'm pulling this totally out of my rear end, but it is interesting to me.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Was Jared Leto CGI or was that a real Jared Leto in this movie?

Jared Leto is CGI irl.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Serf posted:

I feel as though the fact that no one had bothered to retake Vegas was because of how isolated and empty the movie feels. Contrast the crowded, bustling streets of Blade Runner to the more sparsely-populated exterior places seen in 2049. Maybe most people have moved to the offworld colonies, or maybe they live in isolation with their Jois, only venturing out to work or shop.
How does that track with the scene where K is walking up to his apartment and there are like 800 people just sitting around on the stairs / hallways? The long aerial shots of favela-esque tenements crammed together to the horizon? If anything they set up the world as being massively OVERpopulated given the available resources.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

KyloWinter posted:

The whole replicants can't reproduce and don't have souls/aren't humans only works if they aren't made of DNA.

Development doesn’t work that way. Genes don’t code for your adult appearance directly but the biochemical processes and the various timings and responses that result in a single fertilized egg growing over time into you.

The gene coding of an assembled adult replicant “just” has to be coherent enough to get an approximation of human cellular replacement working.

Assuming Rachel was not built as a fetus and grown over time into the adult form, Tyrell must’ve had some kind of breakthrough in building a full adult reproductory system. Even then he hosed up on the build and didn’t account for actual childbirth, hence needing the caesarean that ended up killing Rachel.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Linguica posted:

How does that track with the scene where K is walking up to his apartment and there are like 800 people just sitting around on the stairs / hallways? The long aerial shots of favela-esque tenements crammed together to the horizon? If anything they set up the world as being massively OVERpopulated given the available resources.

Nothing in the film even approaches the street scenes in Blade Runner in terms of population. Deckard's biggest obstacle when chasing Zhora is the crowd. He has to wait for a spot an an outdoor noodle bar. Although that is an interesting contrast you bring up. The population has moved from being crushed together in the streets to being crushed together inside the giant structures.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Myrmidongs posted:

I really, really enjoyed this movie. Did not care for Zimmer's score. It had no character, just a lot of loud as poo poo BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that in a few scenes actually distracted me from them.

Agreed.

It was particularly unnecessary when K is walking up through the women statues toward the beehive. I think there would be a lot more tension if the score was absent for most of Las Vegas

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Linguica posted:

The original movie does this too and since it doesn't talk about the setting much beyond what's immediately needed it definitely feels overpopulated. In the original though Sebastian does talk about how there's so much space nowadays.

In the book it's more clear, the world is like Judge Dredd, basically massive chunks of the world look how Vegas looks because humanity never quite recovered from a nuclear war, pollution is really bad, a lot of poo poo is bad. So you have these super dense pockets of people but you go a few miles outside of a city and there's just vast expanses of flat nothing alternating with weird forested areas where the flora is super mutated and too toxic to do anything with. The giant wall we see in the movie is in the book/video game/etc., but in those it's there to stop/filter a layer of insanely radioactive seaweed fused into chunks of plastic/wreckage/refuse from the west coast that covers a significant chunk of the pacific ocean. Earth is super hosed up.

But this one takes place decades after the first movie, which was some time after those events, like I got the impression that earth isn't as bad here compared to how it was in 2019.

I know again Sebastian mentions it and has an entire building to himself, but when we just look at the movies it's hard to imagine earth being extremely depopulated just because so much of both flicks take place in the middle of a crowded LA even though that is technically a correct part of the setting in the movies so it's more just some interesting trivia.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 8, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Myrmidongs posted:

Also, what I'm not entirely following is how Deckard's daughter stayed hidden but random Underground lady knew the whole time who / where she is. I get that the Blackout destroyed almost all records, and also that any humans / Replicants who may have been "in on it" were probably killed during the following human supremacy movement but it seems like Wallace would have had the resources to find someone during those 20 years or so who had loose lips. Even if they didn't spill everything, it seems they should have spilled something that he could have found out.

i dunno if they actually knew where she was. they never explicitly confirm K's suspicion, and all they tell him is that the child was a girl, which is enough to pop his dream bubble of being The One, but he figured out that between bubble girl's reaction to his memory and the fact that she is female, it was probably her. It's possible that they don't know any more than K does aside from the backstory, and that when he takes Deckard to her, he's ignoring the orders of the resistance (who told him to kill Deckard) and taking the information with him unless Deckard goes back (and I dunno that Deckard would even know where to go back to, since he hasn't seen people in 20something years. I think the point was to hide her so good that even they wouldn't be able to find her, thus making them immune to any forcible attempt to get that information.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

i dunno if they actually knew where she was. they never explicitly confirm K's suspicion, and all they tell him is that the child was a girl, which is enough to pop his dream bubble of being The One, but he figured out that between bubble girl's reaction to his memory and the fact that she is female, it was probably her. It's possible that they don't know any more than K does aside from the backstory, and that when he takes Deckard to her, he's ignoring the orders of the resistance (who told him to kill Deckard) and taking the information with him unless Deckard goes back (and I dunno that Deckard would even know where to go back to, since he hasn't seen people in 20something years. I think the point was to hide her so good that even they wouldn't be able to find her, thus making them immune to any forcible attempt to get that information.

My wife and I were talking about this too. I think we're supposed to just assume that he's a good detective so he figures it out, but it is a slight stretch just because of how long that would mean he's in denial for about it. I also thought maybe Freysa (the resistance leader) kept some very limited contact with the daughter and maybe even Deckard at first so like she personally was aware. The way she speaks of her being safe and waiting to be revealed made it seem like she had to know or have some kind of contact with her. So my assumption was that after K manages to pull off getting Deckard back/killing Luv/etc. she just tells him.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
It would be hilarious if the memory lady wasn't actually the daughter and Harrison Ford walks back out going "Joe? Hey that wasn't my daughter- oh no joe!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

EatinCake posted:

It would be hilarious if the memory lady wasn't actually the daughter and Harrison Ford walks back out going "Joe? Hey that wasn't my daughter- oh no joe!"

He walks out but Joe is gone, Officer K/Joe wakes up in a dark room, the one-eyed resistance leader, Freysa walks out "I'm here to talk to you about the replicant initiative."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

His daughter kills him with a lightsaber. "N-not again..."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is there a reason that lady was a cyclops? Related to Leto being blind, some biblical reference?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
she removed her eye because the bladerunners checked the right eye for serial numbers I think she even said that in the film

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Loved it. I'm one of very few people left a bit cold by Arrival but this worked across the board, story, atmosphere, visuals, it's a bit longish but whatever.

In particular one thing I note about the cinematography is it does the whole trick of having almost everything be a single color way better than it's usually done- there's so much texture, and there's a nice feeling of distinct environments and you don't get the sense that a single look is being forced on everything. One criticism I had of Arrival was, it felt like it was only in color because they wouldn't let them make a movie in black and white- what color there is doesn't really do anything, there's just a bit of green and blue here and there. BR uses its colors much better to back up the atmosphere.

Pity it's apparently not going to do very well, I kinda want to see Villeneuve's take on Dune now. A few scenes in the corporate pyramid had a cool 70s/80s sci-fi vibe going. (Plus at this point I honestly just want to see SOMEBODY take a stab at it with modern production values.)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

One of the people I saw it with said there was "no color" :psyboom:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

It was an excellent movie, but I am still trying to process my thoughts. I haven’t had a movie stick with me like this in a very long time.

The Fake Rachel scene, in particular, left me with a profound sense of horror and revulsion. Not even IT made me feel that way.

It was also a very interesting counterpoint to the “real”and “fake” JOI.

Might see this again.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Maxwell Lord posted:

Villeneuve's take on Dune

If he gets Deakins back for it, the film will be one for the ages.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Well, this makes it up there with T2, Empire Strikes Back and Godfather II for sequels.

I'm skeptical of the talk about this bombing. I think it will have legs and make money overseas too.

If I had to look at the film with a microscope I would zero in on Harrison Ford not being particularly strong in this. However, his absence and the build up to his appearance was powerful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I thought this was the best Harrison Ford performance in at least a decade. It played to his acting, not just nostalgia, though if watched in a vacuum I would never know this was the same Rick as the first movie.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

PantsBandit posted:

One of the people I saw it with said there was "no color" :psyboom:

The movie had long stretches of gray, which makes the colorful sections pop even more.

"No color" is ignoring like half the movie, but yeah, there is a LOT of gray/darkness. It's one reason why people ITT were like "they said the coat was green, I thought it was brown?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wait for the third film to have a twist showing that Deckard and his trials of the first two films are all just a Mercerism shared virtual reality designed for replicants to live out their rebellion fantasies in a safe and controlled way

• Locked thread