Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Bobulus posted:

I feel kind of lost. Why did the Thinkamancer hivemind decide to do this, again?

Click back a couple times to the previous text update, #274. That's the explanation we have so far.

e: Ahahaha, I love this new tower already. Erfworld has never had to deal with a mom before, Charlie is in so much trouble.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bobulus posted:

I feel kind of lost. Why did the Thinkamancer hivemind decide to do this, again? Almost seems like they gave Charlie a parent-figure to keep him in line or something.

A lot of power, but not much time to use it. It just seemed a good idea at the time.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

A lot of power, but not much time to use it. It just seemed a good idea at the time.

Also making reference to the decision bubble that was brought up concerning Jed that was far older than the Godwin Knob events. Probably concerning giving non-units strings and such, also relates to what's her face's Badness that she dared muck around in.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Could Charlie's signamancy theoretically change to something that wasn't an immobile blob if his mom gets him off THE DOPE and teaches him sound moral lessons in a stern but loving way?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zoe posted:

Could Charlie's signamancy theoretically change to something that wasn't an immobile blob if his mom gets him off THE DOPE and teaches him sound moral lessons in a stern but loving way?

No, a unit's signamancy is in direct proportion to their combat effectiveness. As the previous king of Jetstone showed, he used to be a warrior, but when he became a ruler and thus, ceased to be a combatant, his signamancy became doddering and fat. Stanley meanwhile looks the same because even though he's become a ruler he's never stopped trying to be active and has to be actively talked down from it due to the risk.

That, and every unit, eventually, degrades. Charlie is far older than everyone, the dependency on Flower Power, and his own age, means that Erfworld is telling him "Time to disband" and he's doing everything he can to cling on.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Bobulus posted:

I feel kind of lost. Why did the Thinkamancer hivemind decide to do this, again? Almost seems like they gave Charlie a parent-figure to keep him in line or something.

In the previous text update, the Great Minds took in the dollamancer dude and had him combine his expertise with dirtamancer dude to analyze the Charlescomm portal column for possible hacks, dollamancer realized he could animate the column, dirtamancer dude expresses interest, Great Minds go "that sounds like a bad idea, how do we know what would the Tower want", dollamancer replies "well how about we ask it and find out". I assume the portal column is connected to the Tower itself

So Great Minds + dirtamancer + dollamancer pulled the same trick as Parson, but more indirectly.
Presumably the Great Minds realized they had nothing to lose and very little time to make a proper decision and accepted the proposal.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

What they're going to get is a Jed-lady who's gonna make drat sure the fella living in there goes through rehab, whether he wants to or not.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

2 updates in after a 3 month hiatus is indeed as good a day as any to skip an update.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

nimby posted:

2 updates in after a 3 month hiatus is indeed as good a day as any to skip an update.

If only they'd taken a 4 month hiatus, they could have a backlog of two comics, enough to get them through an additional 4 months.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
I'm not contributing to his funding system, so I'm not going to complain. But I'm surprised that the people who are contributing don't have any issue with him continually redefining "on time," especially after he already redefined "update."

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Yeah I don't have a monetary dog in this race but I do find it baffling how his legions of fans continually crawl over themselves in the comments to excuse his lovely time and team management skills.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's funded per-update, so it isn't like they actually pay more.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

It's funded per-update, so it isn't like they actually pay more.

It is funded specifically, and only (as far as I have read anyway) per "on time update," meaning any update which is "late" should not trigger payment...which is why i am so perplexed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ultimately art is hard and people who are constantly going to give you poo poo about it are assholes whose money you're better off without, so, you know.

(Seriously, fencing out customers who are going to loudly hate your business model is an important part of business success.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

bigpolar posted:

It is funded specifically, and only (as far as I have read anyway) per "on time update," meaning any update which is "late" should not trigger payment...which is why i am so perplexed.

Skips aren't supposed to trigger funding from what I read so I don't really see why you're perplexed?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

balder has always been lazy as poo poo and had godawful time management skills, as evidenced by his post complaining about how many hours it takes him to decide where to put speech bubble tails when comics still go live with typos and continuity holes. I still read this comic out of sheer bloodymindedness but it's gone from "a guy gets sucked into a turn based wargame!" to "a legion of punny-named wizards one up each other with increasingly implausible rear end pulls."

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Just seems like from a not-frustrating-your-readers standpoint, a four month hiatus is not that much different than a three month hiatus, while two comics and then a break makes people grumpy and snarky, so maybe he should have just gone with the former and used the extra time to create a little backlog? I don't see it as a good sign that they're two comics in and already struggling to keep their heads above water.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, hey, they actually got out alive.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't know how any of the magic in this setting is even supposed to work anymore, but getting Parson back into the story seems like step in the right direction.

Also Claud is all grey now, does that mean he's in shock or traumatized or something?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zoe posted:

I don't know how any of the magic in this setting is even supposed to work anymore, but getting Parson back into the story seems like step in the right direction.

Also Claud is all grey now, does that mean he's in shock or traumatized or something?

Looks to me like the time when Jack got cut off the three-caster link waaaaaaaaay back then. He seems to be a bit zonked out.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 11, 2017

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Maybe the skin tone is due to the new color person?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It COULD be, but it's legitimately a thing that trauma turns people grey like that, generally in comic seen as a consequence of linkups. Unless we get an indication otherwise it does seem best to assume that doing that messed claud up.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Claud was always pretty gray? I'm pretty sure this is just due to the new colorist, but look at him a year ago, he wasn't exactly peachy back then.
http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/194

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It looks like Jillian gets to be entertaining for once!

And yeah, it looks like the changes in skin coloration are a result of how the new colorist does things. This is closer to matte than glossy for everybody.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Anyone else getting a 504 error when loading https://www.erfworld.com

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Check out the flower in Marie's hat. She is still connected to Wanda even with the different sides.

If I was just Jillian I would just swing the sword at that point. Albeit Jillians position is poo poo, so beggars cant be choosers.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
And Meathead Sue is back.

Okay Jill you just said 'screw Fate' so don't let that failure to disband dissuade you, you're still swinging a giant sword around, let's see you use it. (also the way she's holding it looks a little weird in the last panel)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Incidentally, it looks like this shows that not only can Wanda disband her Decrypted, their Rulers can't.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Actually, a lot of the art is kind of off. What the heck is going on during the 'I hereby disband you' panel? I guess certain poses are going to take some practice...

Rand Brittain posted:

Incidentally, it looks like this shows that not only can Wanda disband her Decrypted, their Rulers can't.

Could be Fate or Jillian's actual Duty preventing it. Stanley couldn't disband Parson either.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Zoe posted:

Could be Fate or Jillian's actual Duty preventing it. Stanley couldn't disband Parson either.

That seemed to be because Parson ordered him not to first.

Maybe Wanda has to be on the same side as the person trying to disband her Decrypted.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

My first thought was it was a cruel joke on Jillian's part, and that there was no intent behind the phrase so it didn't actually happen.

Was the bit about decrypted not being disbandable in one of those text updates?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Wanda threatened to disband Ivan if he didn't join Big Think, and he saw no reason to doubt her.

Now it looks like Wanda has even more authority over the Decrypted than we thought. Stanley would not be pleased to learn this.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I'm almost positive Jillian was cruelly joking

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I saw a theory in the comments that seems rather simple and elegant: 1) disbanding works by cutting a unit's upkeep string, 2) decrypted don't cost upkeep because their upkeep string is attached to the arkenpliers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Zoe posted:

And Meathead Sue is back.

I still think calling Jillian a Mary Sue is silly, because words mean things, but someone pointed out something funny elsewhere:

Jillian is angry because she keeps being given things, and she doesn't actually want that. Like Stanley, she loves the struggle, and being constantly aided by backers in the shadows for reasons she doesn't understand is a constant source of dings against her pride and agency.

So, I guess Jillian agrees with you?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Rand Brittain posted:

Jillian is angry because she keeps being given things, and she doesn't actually want that. Like Stanley, she loves the struggle, and being constantly aided by backers in the shadows for reasons she doesn't understand is a constant source of dings against her pride and agency.

Well this is the best spin possible on yelling angrily at the sky because she couldn't murder the lady handing her a major victory out of nowhere right before she was going to take devastating unvoidable losses, so sure we can go with that for the time being.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, I mean, Jillian has been handed victories often enough that at this point it's less "hello, let me do you a favor" and more "hello, let me remind you that you have no control over your own life."

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Wow, this time he lasted nearly a whole 2 weeks before skipping an update. I think I'll just call it quits and check back in a few months to see if any story progress has been made.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Well, he did say they would skip one or two comics a month. Frankly that probably means skipping (at least) two every month, but it sounds a lot better than that. The most reader-friendly solution would be to just change the schedule to something like an update every Tuesday and every second Friday, which would amount to about the same amount of comics per month. That would make it too obvious that productivity has fallen by 25%, though. Instead they'll just skip a comic when they feel like it, and not even bother to tell the readers about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

nimby posted:

Wow, this time he lasted nearly a whole 2 weeks before skipping an update. I think I'll just call it quits and check back in a few months to see if any story progress has been made.

Yeah I'm thinking this is one of those comics now where it's best to not even consider it as having a schedule, just check in every couple of months or so and catch up. Better than clicking the usual days and constantly being disappointed.