Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
5. Fright Night 2 (1988)

Quick summary, the sister of the vampire from the first movie wants revenge on the main characters. The special effects are pretty good; otherwise the movie is pretty middle of the road.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

Watched: 1. House 2 (4/5) 2. Little Evil (2.5/5) 3. Cult of Chucky (3/5), 4. Dr. Phibes Rises Again (3/5) 5. Fright Night 2 (3/5)
Bonus: REC (4.5/5), REC 2 (4/5), Halloween 2007 (2/5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Been really big on the idea of trying to squeeze in a few single-night themed mini-marathons in throughout the month, and decided to start out with a spooky stop-motion animation marathon consisting of two I hadn't seen before (Frankenweenie, Corpse Bride), followed by one I had seen before and thoroughly enjoyed but hadn't gotten around to revisiting (Paranorman) and closing out with two I've seen multiple times each and absolutely adore (Coraline, The Nightmare Before Christmas). On the animation level, all of the films are absolute masters of the craft, with richly detailed sets and puppetry, with extra special note going towards the climax of Paranorman, which I genuinely consider to be one of the most gorgeously animated sequences ever put to film.

Thematically and content-wise, all of these films manage to hold a similar base appeal while still feeling completely unique from one another in their own right. Frankenweenie from beginning to end works as a completely sincere and loving homage to classic black-and-white monster movies, most notably/obviously Frankenstein, though I did feel that its somewhat muddy message with regards to it's themes of coping with death left something to be desired. Corpse Bride is definitely the most lighthearted of the bunch, with the most heavily caricaturized puppet designs and depicting a friendly, jovial interpretation of the afterlife not entirely unlike something like Dia de los Muertos, and stands in sharp contrast to bleak, grey depiction of Victorian England presented alongside it; visually striking and fun to watch throughout, though admittedly pretty predictable as far as plot is concerned. Paranorman uses smartly uses it's themes and elements of the supernatural to craft an effective allegory about prejudice and bullying. Coraline, despite being the least macabre of the bunch, is pretty easily the most tonally dark as well, gradually presenting an Alice Through the Looking Glass style fantasy world piece by piece, before literally unraveling the facade and contrasting it to the twisted creation that it really is. Finally there's Nightmare Before Christmas, whose enduring legacy stands as a testament to the film's strong aesthetic, charming world/characters and stellar soundtrack.

Movies Watched (8): It, Werewolf (MST3K), Army of Darkness, Frankenweenie, Corpse Bride, Paranorman, Coraline, The Nightmare Before Christmas

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 7, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
just going to do a quick update on the movies I've watched since I last posted an update, might do more detailed reviews later;

3.) Frankenstein(1931): honestly I found this pretty boring overall, like I can see why it's considered a great film, just that not much happens for much of the film, the finale at the windmill is pretty good though 3/5

4.) Bride of Frankenstein: this on the other hand I found a very enjoyable film full of great moments, especially loved the parts when the Creature is living with the blind hermit(I'm amazed more people don't use the scenes with the Creature smoking cigars or drinking booze as reaction images), also Dr Praetorius steals pretty much every scene he's in 5/5

5.) The Addams Family: if you were to ask me who my favorite fictional family was, the Addams clan would be towards the very top of the list, there's just so many things to love about both this movie and this family 5/5

6.) Robocop(1987): while Robocop might not be a proper Horror film, I'd argue it has enough Horror elements to it to qualify for the challenge 5/5

7.) Mad Ron's Prevues From Hell: an amusing bundle of trailers stitched together with a framing device that's kinda hokey, but also kinda charming 4/5

8.) Cropsey: a very well done documentary analyzing the case of probable serial child killer Andre Rand, as well as the Willowbrook insane asylum that is central to both his story and that of the urban legend of the madman known as Cropsey(incidentally the Cropsey legend has served as inspiration for several films over the years, including the early slasher film The Burning), this documentary really hits home for me, as I'm technically special needs(Autism), and almost all of Andre Rand's suspected(and convicted in two cases) victims were special needs children and teens, as well as seeing the absolutely horrid conditions that Willowbrook's patients were subjected to(from archival footage of a special that a young Geraldo Rivera did revealing the asylum's true nature to the world), makes me imagine if I had been born a decade or two earlier that perhaps I could have ended up in a place like that 5/5

which at the moment puts me slightly ahead of the curve

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Been slammed with work, haven't had a chance to log what I've watched so far.

1. Hellraiser - this movie is still goddamn great, Frank's resurrection is some phenomenal practical effects work, the score is awesome, and I absolutely love the ending with the puzzle box falling into the hands of some new victim. I really like the idea of Pinhead and the cenobites being amoral agents of some otherworldly dimension beyond comprehension rather than the literal demons from Hell that they're portrayed as in (most of) the later movies.

2. Hellraiser 2 - I dig this movie well enough, and sure it expands on the "mythos" of the first movie just fine, but part of me wishes it had stuck with the ending of the first movie and had the puzzle box going to someone completely new rather than trying to continue Kirsty's story.

3. Hellraiser 3 - what a fuckin' mess. I get where they were trying to go by having Pinhead be "unbound" from the puzzle box, but it just falls flat. Having Pinhead just indiscriminately slaughtering people really undermines what makes him interesting as a character, and the movie is much, much worse for it. The new cenobites look lame, the acting is pretty drat bad for the most part, really the only redeeming qualities are that Pinhead has some of the best quotes in the entire series, and Terry Farrell looks consistently gorgeous.

4. Slither - I hadn't seen this one in years, and I still dig it. Some of the CGI is occasionally a little rough around the edges, but Nathan Fillion can do no wrong in my book, and Michael Rooker is always a winner. I totally didn't realize there was a post-credits scene on my first watch, so seeing it this time around was a surprise.

5. The Sacrament - I'm a sucker for found footage so I'd been looking forward to seeing this one for a while. I liked it, but I'd find it really hard to recommend it, if that makes sense. There were some parts that were downright hard to watch (especially the brother getting euthanized, jesus loving christ) and overall the movie affected me more than most movies do. I think it's because everything was portrayed so earnestly and with a remarkable amount of restraint, that that coupled with the found footage style made it feel like I was watching an honest to god documentary and it was just heartbreaking. it never went full gonzo like the cult compound section in 'VHS 2' (and I LOVE that segment, it's my favorite bit out of any VHS movie), and the knowledge that this sort of thing not only CAN happen, but HAS happened, made 'The Sacrament' all the more disturbing. If I have any "complaint" it's that the parallels to the real-life Jonestown massacre are so blatant that the movie almost would have been better served by being literally about Jonestown, but at the same time I kinda get why they didn't do that - making it a work of fiction let the filmmakers explore the Jonestown ideas without being tied to "the historical facts", and they also didn't risk pissing people off by doing a disservice to the Jonestown victims. In a sense they got to have their cake and eat it too.

6. Noroi: The Curse - as a sucker for found footage movies, I wanted to like this. It had a couple creepy parts, but on the whole I found it equal parts boring and hokey. The literal tin-foil crazy person screaming and mumbling about "ecoplasmic worms" was super distracting and undermined every scene he was in, and the two characters that get presented as being the focal point of the craziness (the actress woman, and the young girl Kana) end up being complete red herrings in the least satisfying way possible. The cutaways to the "variety show" stuff were really drawn out, weren't creepy, and didn't contribute enough to the narrative or characters to justify their length. The movie wasn't a total waste of time, but I'm not in any hurry to ever watch it again and it wouldn't be near the top of my recommendation list.

7. Cult of Chucky - this movie was better shot than it had any right to be, the use of stark white with red blood was visually interesting, and the lighting in the movie often had a sort of "blown out" look that gave everything a dream-like quality. The movie genuinely introduced an interesting and novel idea to the Chucky franchise, and by biggest complaint about the movie is that the ending feels really abrupt - just when things really feel like they're rolling, the movie pretty much ends on a cliffhanger. Brad Dourif still kills it as Chucky (and he's got some real choice one-liners) and seeing his daughter do her best impression of him was a real treat.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

6.) Robocop(1987): while Robocop might not be a proper Horror film, I'd argue it has enough Horror elements to it to qualify for the challenge 5/5

I'd argue this is the worst review yet.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
7. Demons 2
I mentioned earlier, Demons 2 had a pretty big influence on me. When I was a kid, we had a pretty cool movie review show on TV that would show whole scenes of new movies. Examples I still remember from that time would be Billy Zane getting eaten by a Critter in the hayloft, or Jeff Goldblum climbing on the wall and ceiling of his room. One such was the weird documentary/film-in-a-film scene from Demons 2, that ends with the demon starting to come through the TV screen. This has stuck with me for years until I finally saw the whole movie, but unfortunately and perhaps expectedly, the rest of the film never lived up to the beginning. I still love the whole setup dearly. Writing this, I can't help but wonder if Demons 2 inspired Ringu in some form.

8. Road Games
This has gotten a lot of write-ups already, bit it's an absolutely endearing Hitchcockian road movie with a great performance by Stacy Keach. I don't plan on watching it again this October, but I can absolutely recommend Psycho 2 by the same director. Anthony Perkins is absolutely fantastic playing Norma Bates 20 years later.

9. Maximum Overdrive
This is Steven King's brain, on drugs. Just no.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 7, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

About halfway through the challenge here!

16. The Living Dead Girl

Pretty sure this is the first Jean Rollin film I've watched, like, ever. A chemical spill in a crypt somehow brings a beautiful French heiress (who had been dead for two years) back to life, with killer fingernails (literally) and an unquenchable thirst for blood. Her childhood friend and "blood sister" discovers she's alive and will do anything to help her friend. There's some stuff here that kind of doesn't go anywhere - the American couple in town, etc., just felt like a way to provide more victims - but I was really struck by how languid and picturesque this movie is one moment and how it's punctuated by brutal violence and gore in the next. Francoise Blanchard as the titular character is great, and she elicts a great amount of sympathy watching her driven to kill but utterly terrified by the knowledge of the creature she's become.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Neo Rasa posted:

This movie got a LOT of play on TV back in the day, and was shown completely uncut which was unusual for the time (the brief nudity was blurred out instead of having those seconds of film removed) so it had a reputation as a super serious intense suspense thriller film compared how WPIX or WOR (UPN now) would show it on the same day as like Superman IV or whatever. I think I was like eleven when I saw it. :wtc:

I think that's what irked me because it could have been. A good, tight thriller was right there and they blew it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
1)Ghostwatch
2)Willow Creek
3)Mother!
4:Q
5)Vampyros Lesbos
6)Saw the final chapter
7)Trilogy of Terror
8)train to busan
9)The living Skeleton
10)Light’s Out

11)Gerald’s Game

I quite enjoyed it.I haven't seen Dark Tower yet, but ignoring that it's a good year for King adaptations.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Admittedly I typed up those reviews pretty late, so I'll probably try and make a stronger argument for Robocop as a horror movie(or at the least a horror tinged movie like Army of Darkness is) later

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Watched, and largely disliked THE POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES.

It's a shame too because I think some of the performances from the women in the movie are fantastically real, but it's mired down by repetition and how the bad guy is basically a SHERLOCK villain. It isn't enough that he's a sick killer, they make him a legitimate criminal mastermind as well. There's no hyperbole there...SPOILERS...at one point we learn that he's managed to frame a police detective by somehow obtaining his fingerprints and I think semen? creating a scenario where the detective eventually goes on trial and gets the lethal injection all within the span of five years.

It reminded me in a weird way of SINISTER where the videos were probably the best part of the whole thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 7: The Fog

This is the 2005 remake, not the John Carpenter original. I've always found the original movie to be lesser Carpenter; not really bad but if I was going down a list of Carpenter films I'd get to the end and go, "...uh... Ghosts of Mars... Oh yeah! The Fog, too!" I kind of wish I hadn't seen the original before because then I could watch it for the challenge and follow it up with the remake, but instead I'll just have to say that I barely remember anything about the original. I know there was a radio station, ghost pirates, and people trapped inside a church, and that's pretty much it. Of course, the fact that we're just over ten years after this film was released and I went, "Wait, when did they remake the Carpenter movie?" doesn't speak well to this movie's potential.

It's coming up on the town's big anniversary celebration but a series of shark attacks might shut down the tourist season a mysterious fog that has murderous ghost sailors in it is rolling in. A charter boat captain meets up with an old flame who blew back into town, a radio host, a priest, and other descendants of the town's founders are being targeted by these ghosts who really like scrawling scales of justice on everything.

This movie doesn't make a drat bit of sense. And not in the "holy poo poo this is a window in the mind of a crazy person" way, It's a "way too lazy to make their film hold together at even basic levels" way. There's a ton of things that are just off about the film, but a stand out for me was the radio host telling people to "Whip up a pitcher of martinis,"; I'm not much of a drinker but I'm positive that martinis are not made in pitchers. People do stupid things for the sake of moving the plot forward, get information in stupid ways, fail to use that information because they're stupid, don't talk to people because they're stupid, and hide important evidence because they're stupid; seeing a pattern here?

The ghosts don't seem to follow any rules either. They're constrained to the fog unless they aren't. They possess people and corpses unless they don't. They're after descendants for revenge, except when they don't. For a film that has an obvious, natural structure to the threat, this movie completely ignores it all the time.

So I can barely remember Carpenter's The Fog, but I'm positive it's better than this movie. At the very least it has the advantage of being directed by John Carpenter so it has to be better than this dreck. This is lovely, generic, early 2000's PG-13 horror with absolutely nothing to recommend about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Decided to throw on a go-to classic before the stream started last night:

The restoration from last year is fantastic, but Phantasm is a film that also works really well on grainy VHS, which is how I first saw it many years ago. Some scenes really benefit from the high definition, the funeral home scenes really pop in a way that I don't think they did before.

There are a few things that come together to make this film the classic that it is. First, the soundtrack; it's that Carpenteresque haunting synth style that so many of us grew up with and hearing it makes me instantly nostalgic. Secondly, the plot of the film is absolutely bonkers. People who have seen it know how crazy it is but I won't spoil any of that weirdness for anyone may see it for the first time this year. Thirdly, and probably most importantly, Angus Scrimm. Like the screenshot I posted above, he is ever present, always around the corner or looming over Mike in the background. A few of my favorite Tall Man scenes are the ones where we see him in broad daylight. He so clearly doesn't belong and yet he strides through the town like he owns the place(which he basically does).

Phantasm 2 ups the ante on basically all aspects of the production, but I've always felt it was lacking a certain something, it doesn't quite feel gothic the way the original does. Scenes like this one:

Stuff like that was kinda fell away and was replaced by more and more extra-dimensional craziness as the series went on, and I don't think it was better for it. That's just me though, I love gothic horror and Phantasm is such a unique presentation of that aesthetic. Endlessly rewatchable.

I also very much enjoyed the Scream Stream last night, especially Vault of Horror. But since I'm 27(of which 12 were first time viewings too!) movies into my challenge already so I see no reason to count stuff on the stream, I'm going way over 31 regardless.

Completed:The Wicker Man, Deadly Blessing, Night Creatures, Shock Waves, Slugs, Venom, Maximum Overdrive, Christine, The Tingler, The Masque of the Red Death, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Funhouse, Poltergeist, Lifeforce, Invaders From Mars, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, The Seventh Curse, The Mummy, Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser II, Child's Play, Cult of Chucky, Leviathan, Pumpkinhead, Phantasm

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, this one might ruffle some feathers.

6 (12). Nightbreed: The Director’s Cut (1990)

A man who dreams about monsters and murder gets told by his creepy shrink that he’s a serial killer and he just goes with it and decides to go seek out the Monster Mash leading to a not nearly as clever as I suspect Clive Barker thinks it is world of gods, lost tribes, and killers in a pretty questionable bigotry allegory.

I’m calling this my first official dud of the season. In the past iffy entries I’ve always justified them as saying “I wasn’t bored and I stay engaged.” Well in this case about an hour in I knew I was in trouble and started to get real antsy, half an hour later I actually took a short walk for an intermission, and with about 15 minutes left I had to rewind because I had dozed off. If I didn’t really want to do that 31 years thing I would have ditched this one, probably. If a movie ever didn’t really need an extended cut, this might have been it.

I don’t want to harp. Clive Barker’s never really been my thing aside from Hellraiser, and even there I could see what he REALLY liked that I wasn’t as excited for. This whole thing really feels like him going off the reservation with some “opus” dark fairy tale he really thought was going to be something special and just didn’t work. For me at least. It has cult classic status which I why I was up for it. And I guess I get why since this macabre monster fantasy thing probably has an audience. Hell, I could have been in that audience. But it didn’t work for me and just felt like Barker was reading some kind of fantasy story and decided “but what if it were monsters instead of elves?” Which I’m sure there’s an audience for but its not me.

The costume/fx/puppet/animation work also just isn’t that striking. I mean, I’m not going to hold it against it for not aging well after 30 years, but obviously there were entire scenes that were just meant to showcase a LOT of work put into that stuff to create monsters and I think its just too much. Instead of introducing a handful of cool characters or monsters or effects and really letting us connect Barker just strings together 20 at a time and they all kind of fall flat. Hellraiser’s effects work so well in large part because of how much focus and time they get and we really appreciate them. The kid scene early(ish) on and the other patient are the most effective since we have a small chance to really experience them and get to know the characters. But even then there’s all kinds of timelapse issues that make me wonder why the characters are doing what they’re doing or as familiar with things as they seem to be because they’re really not developed that much at all.

I get why its a cult classic though because this is obviously the sort of thing like Star Wars that opens up all kinds of worlds to be curious about the characters and their tribes and people can really lose themselves in their imaginations. I can totally see books or cards or toys of all the different monsters and fans reading up on what powers they have and the histories of their tribes and etc, etc, etc. The movie just doesn’t do a good job with any of that because its too focused on a really lame serial killer plot and romance.

Oh, also I loving hated the sound mixing. That’s the sort of complaint I almost never make or even really notice but in this case it made the movie drat near unwatchable. Everyone was talking in a low growl whisper and then there was this big striking orchestral soundtrack and big bangs and sudden screams that blow out my eardrums because I had the volume so loud to hear what the gently caress they were saying. I nearly quit until I hosed with the volume settings a ton and I still spent the whole movie playing with the volume button. I swear there were scenes where the background soundtrack was louder than the foreground dialogue. And there’s one morgue scene where for some reason the doctors sound like they’re talking through a fast food drive in microphone.

I just wasn’t a fan. Now I have to decide if I still plan to watch Cronenberg’s Brood which is sitting on my shelf and I actually had confused with this movie.

October Tally - New (Total)
- (1). V/H/S (2012) / - (2). V/H/S/2 (2013) / 1 (3). Let Us Prey (2014) / - (4). The Crazies (2010) / 2 (5). The Boy (2016) / 3 (6). Beyond the Gates (2016) / - (7). Child’s Play (1988) / - (8). Jennifer’s Body (2009) / 4 (9). Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015) / - (10). Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) / 5 (11). The Void (2016) / 6 (12). Nightbreed: The Director’s Cut (1990) /

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
#17: Black Swan

Revisiting this one for the first time since it was in theaters, this one really stuck out for how much power it still has. The claustrophobic camera, the energetic dance scenes, the Polanski paranoia and Cronenberg body horror, a lot of stuff goes into this movie, and the end result is a film that's equally heady and visceral. It makes a lot more sense on a second viewing, but the physical horror and tension between Portman, Kunis, and Cassel is strong enough to keep you invested even when you're not sure what's going on or what's real. The performances are all amazing, and my one complaint is that Winona Ryder needed more screentime, because she always does.

#18: Happy Birthday To Me

Continuing my exploration of slashers, I watched this one on the advice of a friend, and dug the hell out of it. I was surprised to see a non-Scream slasher with an almost 2-hour runtime, but this one actually manages to fill that time well, without any obvious filler scenes, while throwing in some fun twists and well-done red herrings. The main group of 10 friends is overall well-drawn, they really feel like a group of friends that have been together for awhile, with the fun and tension this kind of friendship can bring. The direction is cool as heck, with some eerie lighting and wonderful uses of split diopter. The kills themselves are fun and brutal, they really hit you in the gut or the dick. This one's a lot of fun.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid, The Driller Killer, Phantasm*, Phantasm II, Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead, Phantasm IV: Oblivion, Phantasm V: Ravager, The Prowler, The House of the Devil, From Beyond, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Apt Pupil, Wait Until Dark, Gerald's Game, Hell House LLC, Black Swan*, Happy Birthday To Me

*denotes rewatches

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

10. The Stuff: the Blob meets Body Snatchers in an '80s corporate evil and militia mashup. This is not a good movie despite some very decent effects work. But those effects and the gonzo script are enough to make it a load of fun in spite of its oh so many flaws.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
8. Tremors 2

The great thing about the first two Tremors movies is that they're kind of like throwbacks to old school creature features. The sequel always has to ramp things up somehow, and Tremors 2 does not disappoint.

Graboids (as they were named in the first film) have appeared at an oil refinery in Mexico. Earl (Fred Ward) is persuaded by the Mexican government to take out the bastards (being offered $50,000 per dead Graboid is a huge part, since Earl pissed away the money gained from the initial fame of the Graboid discovery). Grady, a loser cab driver who drove the official out to talk to Earl, joins him.

Down Mexico way, Earl meets a geologist named Kate, one of the few people left down there, along with Pedro and Julio. Earl and Grady set out to begin killing Graboids and eventually discover there is a goddamned shitload of the motherhumpers.

Burt Gummer is called in to assist, and is still the baddest dude around. However, not long after that, Earl and Grady discover a Graboid above ground, shrieking in pain...

The new monsters are pretty drat cool. They're little bastards that burst free of the Graboid, being the second stage in their lifecycle. In contrast to their previous form, they're totally deaf, gaining the ability to see heat signatures, like a friggin' Predator.

This leads to some really cool moments, such as the Shriekers (their new name) seeming much more intelligent than they should; they destroy the radio tower and car engines, which scares the living poo poo out of our protagonists, until they figure out that they're just attacking the heat signatures.

Honestly, I think I like this movie more than the first. Maybe it's not as good, technically, but there's something about it that just speaks to me. I love it to death. It's a great sequel and worth watching.

5/5 Denials Of Critical, Need To Know Information

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, this one might ruffle some feathers.

I felt much the same way. I thought Nightbreed was just kind of boring. It seems like the kind of movie I'd like, but it just doesn't jive with me.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
4. 31 (2016)

Rob Zombie is back with honestly a pretty safe film of his which goes back to what people liked about The Devil's Rejects: retro 70s setting, Halloween-esque imagery, sick and twisted characters and killer clowns. I liked this one and while it wasn't great had more than enough entertainment and kills.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

5. Most Likely to Die (2016)

This one sucked. I hate any horror movie that brightly lights its sets for no discernible reason plus the acting was trash and on top of that we have Perez Hilton (yup, the blogger) in the supporting cast being amazingly obnoxious. Though it has a few good kills, I will admit.

:spooky: / 5

6. Blair Witch (2016)

I think I discovered why found footage movies don't resonate as strongly as the original Blair Witch film did. It really was a group of actors out in the woods with 90s student cameras that gave found footage a real and very visceral vibe that staged found footage with modern equipment cannot replicate. Though the film tried and though it recreated all the scares of the original it also showed brief shots of the Blair Witch which to me violated the mystery of the original though it was a creepy initial shot

:spooky::spooky: . 5 / 5

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 7, 2017

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
#1) Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key
#2) God Told Me To (1976)
#3) Venom (1981)
This one was pretty wild. It's a weird mish-mash of a home invasion, kidnapping and creature feature. The snake isn't exactly ever menacing or horrifying, but I did enjoy Klaus Kinski and Oliver Reed trying to out-sweat each other. There are some really funny/cool stories from the production of the film (like Kinski choosing Venom over Raiders of the Lost Ark, calling the latter's script, 'moronically lovely'), but the final product is rather uninspiring.

#4) The Invisible Man (1933)

Usually when considering special effects, the time period the film was made in can be used as a backhanded compliment: 'the effects look great for 1933!'. But I genuinely believe these effects are super effective taken in a vacuum. There are so many shots that had me wondering how in the world they made an invisible man look so genuine and avoided any cheesy bullshit.
Couple the effects with Claude Rain's booming voice makes for an enjoyable, albeit short, ride. It's interesting that we're thrown right into the fire to start: we're told that Dr. Jack Griffin was an honest, upstanding man, but all we see is him in full-monster mode. Was there a descent into madness or was he always like this deep down?

#5) Jack's Back (1988)

I was drawn to this one because it 1) has James Spader in it and 2) is purportedly about Jack the Ripper. Spadedog puts in a worthy performance in each of his two roles, but the Jack the Ripper connection is little more than window dressing. This movie is an absolute slog after a pretty intriguing opening. Some of the night street scenes are nice looking, but I would not suggest anyone bother watching this.

#6) Roadgames (1981)

Really not having much luck watching stuff on Shudder so far. Maybe I had outsized expectations for this Australian feature, or maybe it really is a clunker. I like a Hitchcock homage as much as the next guy, but this is just a Rear Window rip-off with cheesy one-liners. I've heard this described everywhere as a 'thriller' but it's really more of a comedy. There is no tension for most of the film, and the stakes never seem particularly high. Jamie Lee Curtis only has like 15 minutes of screen time, wasting what should be the film's biggest asset. The villain has zero lines of dialogue and the final scene is as boring as the lead-up to it.

Classic example of a great poster for a lackluster film.

Next up: The Ninth Configuration (1980)

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I have a theme, Japanese/Chinese/Korean movies that I have not previously seen.

I Am a Hero (2015)
Japan's premiere zombie comic, which I read a few years ago, and from what I remember this is a fairly faithful adaptation. The zombies aren't quite as creepy looking as they are in print, but I always liked how the series portrays the undead. Usually it's shambling zombies, rabies zombies, or in rare cases like RotLD we get intelligent zombies. I Am a Hero portrays them more as people who completely lost their mind while retaining bits of individuality, so they straddle that line between mundane human and monster to be feared more than most representations. I Am a Hero pulls off that sort of thing a lot better than Romero's later attempts.
Anyway, the movie itself is pretty well done. It oddly suffers from feeling both too long and too condensed, but I still enjoyed it more than most of the sub-genre. And I don't know if it was a stylistic choice or because of budgetary limitations, but it was way too brightly lit. I don't feel that way about many movies, but in this case seeing less clearly would've made the whole thing scarier. Regardless of the gripes,

7/10

Mr. Vampire (1985)
If you like comedic martial arts and you like horror you've probably already seen it, I can't really think of any other comedy-horrors to come out of HK that are more well known. Jiangshi make for boring monsters most of the time but everything else going on makes up for it, good fights, good comedy, and a lot of character. The only things holding it back are more just a feature of older HK fare, it meanders a bit and doesn't do a great job of tying in the B plot, but that's not unusual for these sorts of movies. A nice silly diversion from the recent grim films I've watched.

7/10

R100 (2013)
Not really horror, but it is weird and at times horrific. A masochist joins a club where he pays to be abused in public at random by dominatrices, but eventually they start coming to his work and home and he wants out. I appreciate Matsumoto attempting to do things that are different, and this one had me for a while, especially the meta-bits of the studio people trying to make sense of the movie, but it kind of lost me half way through. An amusing premise that's really difficult to keep up through a feature length running time.

5/10

Midnight FM (2010)
On her final show a radio host is forced to comply with the demands of a deranged fan. Has a number of Hollywood analogues and gets kind of dumb, but it manages to be suspenseful at least. Feels kind of like this would've been an okay thriller starring Ashley Judd if it weren't Korean.

6/10

Flu (2013)
Korean Outbreak, but with more vomiting blood and and focusing on a couple of characters in the middle of things over the government response. And by Korean I also mean super melodramatic and overly political, the villain in this movie is the World Health Organization. One scene was impressive and stayed with me, how they were disposing of the bodies of the dead, but then the melodrama intruded again. It got part way there but dropped off and lost me.

5/10

Deranged (2012)
I probably shouldn't have watched two Korean epidemic movies in a row. This one is a bit different in that it critiques corporate greed and the disease itself is very different from the standard hemorrhagic fever/flu, it's somewhat reminiscent of The Happening but not nearly as hilarious. I like the premise, this one could actually be improved by a remake.

6/10

The Wailing (2016)
Again, shouldn't have watched this immediately after the last two. It was well done and parts were very creepy, but I didn't come out enjoying this as much as other people seem to. Probably a combination of the slow pacing, and where they choose to reveal information to the audience. No problem with the content of the events, just the placement of the reveals as we come to understand what's actually happening didn't work for me. I can see why it was constructed that way, as we're put closer to the state of mind/ignorance of the main character as he acts rashly, but it somehow made for a less enjoyable viewing experience. Still, well made.

7/10

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 7, 2017

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Cult of Chucky (2017)

I must admit I'm not a huge fan of this franchise, but I thought I'd check this out since it's on Netflix. This was largely consistent in quality with the rest of the series.

It has an interesting concept, in which a survivor of one of Chucky's murder sprees spends her days in a mental institution, questioning whether or not Chucky's ever actually existed. Her question will eventually have an absolute answer.

It's an interesting concept, but I just couldn't fully invest into the movie. These movies always try to balance horror nd comedy, but I can never get into Chucky's humor. Plus, this is really bogged down by the Chucky's mythology so it's hard to get into this I feel you're not already invested in the series. Thankfully, the horror is quite good, and the kills are especially well done.

If you like this series you will enjoy this film.

The Lost Boys (1987)

This is such a great vampire movie. Theres such a great atmosphere in the movie, with awesome lighting and some well designed set pieces. My only beef against this movie is the acting, with Corey Haim not acting scared during some key scenes, and Corey Feldman talking with a lovely tough guy voice.

Rewatches (5): Maniac Cop, Friday the 13th 3, Friday the 13th 4, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 , The Lost Boys
First time watches (14): Mortuary, Little Evil, Eloise, Mother!, The Roommate, The Chaos Experiment, Resident Evil 6, Vacancy, Rings, The Stepfather, Train to Busan, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, Cult of Chucky

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

17: Dr Terror's House of Horrors (1964)

The first of the Amicus anthology movies. Cheap and cheerful - the bat in the final segment is particularly hilarious - the titular doctor has neither a house nor, fifty years on, any horrors. It's got a good cast including Lee and Cushing, though, and everyone is taking it in the right spirit. I don't know if it's going to crop up on Lurdiak's Scream Stream, but if it does don't miss it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Calling Robocop a horror film is a stretch, but being a riff on Frankenstein is probably enough to warrant its inclusion in the challenge. Genre is a fluid thing, don't be such a stickler.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Doesn't sound like they're objecting to the inclusion as much as the quality of the review.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
#19: Pieces

This movie is extremely trashy. The effects are cheap, the acting poor, the dubbing horrendous, the pacing uneven... and yet I still liked it. It has a very Italian quality, where a dream-like atmosphere makes up for, and is even improved by, the no-budget cash-in quality of everything. It drags at points, but the kills are fun and so is some of the dialogue, and the ending is loving awesome. Not amazing, but if you want a fun B-movie, give this one a spin.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid, The Driller Killer, Phantasm*, Phantasm II, Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead, Phantasm IV: Oblivion, Phantasm V: Ravager, The Prowler, The House of the Devil, From Beyond, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Apt Pupil, Wait Until Dark, Gerald's Game, Hell House LLC, Black Swan*, Happy Birthday To Me, Pieces

*denotes rewatches

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sarchasm posted:

Calling Robocop a horror film is a stretch, but being a riff on Frankenstein is probably enough to warrant its inclusion in the challenge. Genre is a fluid thing, don't be such a stickler.

That is one of the points I'll probably bring up if I do an extended review for it

Darthemed posted:

Doesn't sound like they're objecting to the inclusion as much as the quality of the review.

Yeah I'll admit I kinda half assed it

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
2. TCM: The Beginning
3. Halloween (2007)
4. Friday the 13th (2009)
5. Hollywood Ghost Stories (1986)
6. Halloween 2 (2009)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
8. Scream 4
9. Texas Chainsaw 3D
10. Mother!
11. Never Sleep Again

This is a great feature, and I don't know if I have more to say than that. It's a relatively unambitious production, being mainly talking heads interspersed with relevant clips, with an ambitious scope, going on 4 hours exploring Freddy from cradle to the grave (minus the remake). And even if I got fatigued enough to split it over 2 nights, I would say it's more a failing of me than the actual film. It does a great job keeping things flowing from topic to topic in a breezy manner, never delving too far into one topic but giving enough oversight to make each talking point feel 'complete'. The only thing I did wish they put some focus on was the house. From 2 on it became almost as iconic as Freddy, but not really much focus was put on to it other than a brief talk about how it connected the first and the second. Otherwise, it's a great, nigh essential viewing to anyone whose enjoyed the series.

12. Lurdiak's Scream Stream 10/06
Consisting of:

Now, I don't really know how we treat Lurdiak's stream for this challenge, so I'm just going to treat it as one feature. Mainly because I missed the first third of the first movie, and I was only half paying attention to the second (I should really do my job rather than watch horror movies). In any case, the first film is a great communal experience, being occasionally ludicrously laughable and just plain ludicrous. Not to say that it's a shoddy feature, it's certainly better made than the room, but it's a fun combination of British, Cheap, and quaintly racist packed with some pure EC Comics shenanigans. Highlight being a man's body parts and organs neatly organised into jars (with the testicles labeled 'Odds and Ends'). While it may not fit the definition of 'pure schlock', it's a fun compatriot that made for a fun evening.

As for the second, it is Pure Schlock. And unlike others, I can say that I rather liked it. For the most part I felt that each short had some sort of vision, something new that it was bringing to the table. Maybe it's a reflection of me being some kinda easily amused schmuck or maybe that I'm more open to... something about these shorts that turn some people off. And the structure does bring up what I think is the strength of the Anthology format: both the brevity to each experience, and the fact that there's something new around the corner. At at 26 segments, this brevity and succession of ideas are brought to their absolute limits, creating something that I think is successively enjoyable and absurd. Highlights include B, E, G, M, O, P, Q, U, and Y. The only ones I feel are bad are L (kinda rough in amaturish ways), S (for being weirdly manipulative, and it comes across as the filmmakers thinking they're clever), V (it's not that fun to watch assholes being dicks), W (not as a whole, for the most part it's good, but the ending leaves a really bad taste in my mouth), and X (for not really being much other than mean-spirited shock to not much reason or purpose). And Z is a whole 'nother story. I can't imagine the filmmakers knew they were making something that creeps would jerk off to, but boy I didn't even want to look at the screen it disturbed me so. 5 stars.

Really, I just want to put a spotlight on Lurdiak's stream. It's a ton of fun and I always come away entertained by something new. Plus, free Pizza.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

3. The Phantom of the Opera (1962, Terence Fisher)

I said before in reference to Phantom of the Paradise that there's not really a great Phantom of the Opera otherwise. This Hammer adaptation starring Herbert Lom and Michael Gough isn't an exception, but it's alright. Unlike the other Hammer re-adaptations of Universal horror films, this takes more after the 1943 remake rather than the silent. Lom is alright, but he's not given much to work with between a completely obscuring mask and not much screen time. Meh.

4. I Walked with a Zombie (1943, Jacques Tourneur)

This one left me a little cold, even though it is very well shot and moody.

5. The Evil Dead (1981, Sam Raimi)
6. Evil Dead II (1987, Sam Raimi)
7. Army of Darkness (1991, Sam Raimi) [Director's Cut]

While I had seen the original Evil Dead years ago, this is my first time seeing the sequels. The original is still an impressive effort considering it was by amateurs. It's scary, has some really nice photography (the 16mm only makes it spookier), and great effects. It's one of those films that's effective because it doesn't look like something from a major studio. What I found that makes the Evil Dead films endearing to fans is that they never take themselves seriously. They bask in their absurdity.

Evil Dead II is more blatantly a horror-comedy, treating splashes of blood like pies in the face, while also amping up some really neat filmmaking. Sam Raimi is almost always keeping the camera moving or using crazy angles. I particularly liked how much of the film was simultaneous hilarious and creepy, like the dancing ghoul or Henrietta. Bruce Campbell is awesome in this, particularly for a scene where his hand becomes evil and begins torturing him.

Army of Darkness goes even further by starting with an utterly ridiculous premise, but works entirely on Campbell's charisma. Which is great because much of the film is like the most demented Three Stooges short from Hell. Making things funnier is how obvious a lot of the effects work looks like grainy mattes, models, rear projection... it adds a layer of surrealism to the film. More proof that realistic doesn't always mean better. Groovy.

1a/b: The Creeping Terror/The Creep Behind the Camera | 2: Phantom of the Paradise

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I have a review coming for Wait Until Dark, but I'm gonna start my horror movie night soon. It's a dounle feature of Demons and Demon Knight

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

I was more referencing the fact there was no actual review, although I was kind of being a dick, yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Now, I don't really know how we treat Lurdiak's stream for this challenge, so I'm just going to treat it as one feature.

If he shows two movies, you watched two movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

If he shows two movies, you watched two movies.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

2. Noroi
I am generally not much for found footage but Noroi really pulled me in. Part of that is probably that the entire film isn't just someone filming spooky stuff. They cut footage from talk shows, newscasts and one show about psychic children into the film which both adds a lot of depth to the story that you wouldn't be able to get with the more traditional found footage approach unless you really went overboard on exposition. All of it is believable enough that I wouldn't be at all surprised if the guests on the TV shows or even some of the hosts were real celebrities hired to make it seem more authentic.

The fact that the films opens with them stating the final fate of the main character is really effective since you know something bad will happen you just don't know when which gives the film a pretty oppressive air of fatalism and dread even in the calm scenes where nothing spooky is actually happening.

3. Mother!

Now a lot of people would claim this isn't a horror film but it has a lot of very horrific scenes that would put more traditional horror films to shame in terms of brutality and terror. It was a very uncomfortable film, not just the violence and abuse the Mother suffers but also the complete lack of music but I think I might have be desenitized a bit by having seen films like Possession,Saló, Cannibal Holocaust, and Antichrist that it just wasn't quite as horrific as the hype lead me to believe. Still a very good film.

also the sign at the cinema said it was "drama/horror (English)" and those signs don´t lie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

8. Phantasm (1979, Don Coscarelli)

I've never been much of a horror person, so I'm having fun going through cult essentials from the last few decade. This is one charming, fun horror film. I particularly like the dream logic, which gives it a slightly fractured flow. You know something's not quite right. The production values are impressive. While some effects may look cheesy, the uniqueness makes it work. Add in that The Tall Man is indeed something suited for nightmares.

1a/b. The Creep Behind the Camera/The Creeping Terror | 2. Phantom of the Paradise | 3. The Phantom of the Opera (Hammer) | 4. I Walked with a Zombie | 5: The Evil Dead (1981) | 6: Evil Dead 2 | 7. Army of Darkness

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

11. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: drat does this still hold up. Especially the villain, lighing, and set design (special nod to the set painter). Using staging to simulate camera angles worked so well. It's more than a classic but rather a defining moment in cinema history.

The restoration on Amazon Prime has an obnoxious bug fading in and out of the lower right screen a few times but everyone should watch it. I'm going to revisit some scenes over the next few days to absorb more.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What We Do in the Shadows

This was basically the perfect mockumentary, I think it's better than Best in Show. It's a little long at the end, but the comedy is so strong and I was sad we lost Petyr_________ but Niel was a great replacement.

Movies Watched: (17) Midnight Meat Train, IT, Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Saw 7, Phantasm, Demons, Rockula, House of the Devil, 31, Deathrow Gameshow, Nine Miles Down, The Carrier, Halloween (1978), Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama, Nightbreed, Pumpkinhead, What we do in the shadows

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 8, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

26. Spirits of the Dead - An anthology in which the worst segment spends a lot of time looking at Jane Fonda wearing a bunch of cool costumes, and sometimes drapes. I mean it was a really bad segment despite that, but at least there's a mitigating factor and the other two segments are both fantastic. Surprise Fellini was a happy surprise.

27. Campfire Tales - The first segment here was really bad but also great. After that it's just bad, until the ending which is probably the best way it could have gone out given all the preceding failure.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Movie #11: Spirits of the Dead

I saw this as part of Lurdiak's Scream Stream, which I'm guessing will produce a number of posts.

Three segments. People seems to hate the first, where Jane Fonda stands around a few different places, but I thought it was the most interesting for being the oddest, and it had, at times, a score I really enjoyed. The middle one is an exaggerated Goofus and Gallant story, but felt like it overstayed its welcome and never really went anywhere. The last one is entertaining but I just didn't care for the main character, Terence Stamp, who is a bit much.

All in all enjoyable, though, and something I almost certainly wouldn't have watched if Lurdiak hadn't have shown it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Day 7 cleansed the pallet with another favorite background rewatch in Grave Encounters. I’ve watched this a bunch the last few years and I admit its starting to lose some of its excitement the more I watch it. Its not a classic or anything. Its just a fun use of the found footage genre combined with a solid haunted house story. The effects are a little trite now but they hold up and the first act goes on a bit long, but I think its essential in establishing how full of poo poo the crew are making their fear when poo poo gets real so satisfying. I wouldn’t go so far as to say I root for the ghosts but there’s that one scene where TC gets pulled into the tub of blood and disappears and one of the characters laugh… and I wonder if he’s laughing because he’s been driven insane or because the guy was kind of a dick. It works.

7 (14). Grabbers (2012)

Monsters are on a remote Irish island and the only thing that can save the day is alcholism!

That was a lot of fun. I thought the first act went a little long and I would liked to see a bit more action and monsters. The grabbers just kind of felt “there” and never really hit with me. I also think the movie didn’t quite hit the right balance of comedy and horror, but it was real close. None of this is to say I didn’t enjoy the film because I really did. Its the kind of Tremors like “light hearted” creature film that has a nice place in horror and you can really enjoy without all the darker elements of the genre.

But I also don’t have a lot to say with it besides that Ruth Bradley is very pretty.

8 (15). Get Out (2017)

This Look Who's Coming To Dinner sketch on Key and Peele is really, really hosed up.

I doubt there’s anything that I could say about his film that hasn’t been said. I really, really enjoyed it but as its a little less a horror film than a political satire (although obviously its a horror/slasher too) it didn’t hit the heights of my marathon that it would have if I had watched it at a different time of year. Still, its a really, really great film and a topical, different, obvious but still relevant take on a well tread area. And Peele does a good job kind of letting you know what’s happening and not really trying to hide it, but distracting you just a little with some questions about what else you might be missing. Certainly while I thought I knew what was happening the whole time the true revelation still catches you totally off guard and makes up for any kind of “eh, I saw it coming” disappointment you might have. And really, right to the end it had me saying “Ohhhh!” with the revelations of Grandma and Grandpa, especially that running/Jesse Owens foreshadowing that was very well done.

That and that ending felt so, so heavy headed headed in one direction and I’m glad it chose to go the other way. Not that I would have criticized it if it had kept up the commentary of Chris getting shot by the cops when they found him but its not something that I think NEEDED to be said and I was happy to get a happy ending.

Its tough. When you know you’re watching a first time director, especially one as high profile as Peele, you probably end up grading on a curve. I find myself constantly thinking of it in terms of “…for his first outing” and that seems like a disservice. There were a few things I thought were a little clumsy or off. Some of the early satire/reference/allegory stuff felt a little on the nose and a little too overt, and I left myself wondering how exactly Rose gets away with constantly dating people who go missing, but the answer to that one is probably “racism in police not caring about black people” which is probably fair but also a little tough to fully swallow at the sheer number of missing people connected to her. Certainly Rod seemed on point enough that he was going to keep making a stink and I’d like to believe that eventually SOMEONE would have taken him even half seriously, looked into Rose, and then a real investigation unravels. But I digress. There were some things I can nitpick with but it was a good movie… for a first time director or an experienced vet.

On the other hand the flip side of “first time director” is that its about wondering about their future in the genre and I’m pleased to see Peele appearing in a horror film and I hope he feels inspired to work behind the camera for the genre again.

Oh, and Alison Williams really does a great job in her role. Going from the seeming loving girlfriend to the psycho bitch she ends up as in the end was really well done and believable. I spent most of the movie wondering where Rose fit into everything. I assumed she was a honey pot but she was giving a strong enough sell (to us and Chris) that it had me wondering if she could be in the dark or if she could be brainwashed herself or even if maybe she loved this one. I knew she was PROBABLY an evil fucker but the transformation into the tightly wound, frigid, totally different character was well done. That whole weird cereal scene and that cold, evil smile she gave Chris as he choked her. It turned her into the villain the movie was largely lacking.

That would probably be my other criticism of the movie. I just think it maybe suffered a little from not having a focused villain. I mean, I get the bigger picture of it all of the villains not only being the crazy mind swapping conspirators but also the whole "white moderate" casual racism thing as well and clearly Peele worked to lay out some stand in villains with the brother, the mother, and finally Rose. But it probably would have been a more impactful end if there had really been that villain to vanquish. Although, again, I think Williams did a good job of slipping into that role at the last minute and it seemed clear to me that Peele knew he didn’t quite have it and had those stand ins.

Might try and fit in another tonight. Thinking maybe Society since people were talking about. 15 movies so I’m nearly half way to 31 in total. 8 new so I’m a little ahead of pace on the goal of 31 new movies but I’d like to focus and get some distance there. I’m behind pace on “31 Years” as I only have 6 since I watched a bunch of 2016 movies. I think I’m going to have to focus on watching unique years for a few days so I can catch up and create a little distance. It can build up anticipation for the movies I want to watch but would be double years or pre-87 as I can put them off until later in the month and maybe that will help keep my interest going as opposed to front loading all my most anticipated films into the start of the month and then losing interest late with secondary films.

October Tally - New (Total)
- (1). V/H/S (2012) / - (2). V/H/S/2 (2013) / 1 (3). Let Us Prey (2014) / - (4). The Crazies (2010) / 2 (5). The Boy (2016) / 3 (6). Beyond the Gates (2016) / - (7). Child’s Play (1988) / - (8). Jennifer’s Body (2009) / 4 (9). Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015) / - (10). Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) / 5 (11). The Void (2016) / 6 (12). Nightbreed: The Director’s Cut (1990) / - (13). Grave Encounters (2011) / 7 (14). Grabbers (2012) / 8 (15). Get Out (2017) /

• Locked thread