Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Shelke is worth diving even without a relic for her, right? For entrust shenanigans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

acumen posted:

This magicite poo poo is seriously the first time I've considered quitting the game since release. I've got two down and dozens of attempts at the others but I just don't have the specific gear and it's really frustrating. All my best poo poo is dark or holy and I can't even access those yet. Had zero problems clearing every other piece of content except for perhaps parade float round one.

Yeah, as other people have noted just now and I said before, do keep in mind Magicite is the hardest content in the game, arguably even harder than some of the Apex and Nemesis stuff. But it also doesn't go anywhere, the Magicites have never been closed down even temporarily. And the actual Magicite items are useful and will make you more powerful to have but you can always get them later, there's nothing wrong with just straight up ignoring them until later.

Nihilarian posted:

Shelke is worth diving even without a relic for her, right? For entrust shenanigans?

She is, I'd say, I did her for it and she made by Dark Dragon Magicite run way smoother, at the very least.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

acumen posted:

This magicite poo poo is seriously the first time I've considered quitting the game since release. I've got two down and dozens of attempts at the others but I just don't have the specific gear and it's really frustrating. All my best poo poo is dark or holy and I can't even access those yet. Had zero problems clearing every other piece of content except for perhaps parade float round one.

Have you tried ninja team? Apparently people on reddit have been clearing them with ninja magic and no relics

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Nihilarian posted:

Yes, as she's the only Support 5 that Global is likely to get that gets the Haste + Instant Cast 3 LM, but we won't get her legend dive until the next VII event with Elena and Rude. My guess for that is November 9 as VII was after XV (October 12 for us), II (October 19), III (November 2), and VIII (October 26 is a blank spot on the mined schedule) events in Japan.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah I know it's not going anywhere but it's pretty frustrating that I should be able to do these given my time played and gear but I just didn't luck into any decent elemental SBs. I've tried a ninja team on fire and it was actually the closest to finishing one other than the two I have but stopped after wiping ten times or so.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

2 magicites in now! I was able to beat fire first thanks to Tidus doublecasts, BSB and OSB entirely.

The second time around I leveled Vincent to 99 for fire and... he was the MVP. His damage was respectable but mainly the damage reflect was WAY more damage than I expected. With 2 healers you just try to stay alive near the end, I literally won with just Yshtola and Yuna healing themselves and reflecting onto him.

Having the fire magicite also made ice much more manageable.

Who else has damage reflect besides him and Alphanaud? I don't want to bring Vincent in for only the reflect and nothing else

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also the only USB I pulled was Rikku but holy poo poo is it useful

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

2 magicites in now! I was able to beat fire first thanks to Tidus doublecasts, BSB and OSB entirely.

The second time around I leveled Vincent to 99 for fire and... he was the MVP. His damage was respectable but mainly the damage reflect was WAY more damage than I expected. With 2 healers you just try to stay alive near the end, I literally won with just Yshtola and Yuna healing themselves and reflecting onto him.

Having the fire magicite also made ice much more manageable.

Who else has damage reflect besides him and Alphanaud? I don't want to bring Vincent in for only the reflect and nothing else
Cloud of Darkness BSB and Tifa USB. I've been using the latter for Hydra

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Probably the best USB for some time, grats!

(Clouds may be really good but its better as a RW imo)

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

I'm having a hard time fitting her into parties and RW her about as much as I use it naturally. It's really good but I need to find a way to make Rikku useful to bring otherwise. Dancing and thiefs raid is what I usually have on her

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm having a hard time fitting her into parties and RW her about as much as I use it naturally. It's really good but I need to find a way to make Rikku useful to bring otherwise. Dancing and thiefs raid is what I usually have on her
Rikku can hit Poison, Wind, Lightning, Fire, Water, and Ice weaknesses effectively. She can do some non-elemental if you feel like it through Celerity, Thief and technically Machinist, although I don't know why anyone would keep that rapid fire ability. She can pseudo-support through dancer (with more stackable dances on the way), hit status effects (usually for medal conditions), and I'd say she can bring protectga/shellga through bard but USB covers that. You can just have her do whatever needs doing, pretty much.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Also what the hell is leaping rush, I've never noticed it before. I don't even know when it was added.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Added with the last FF15 event. Does more hits based on number of attacks. I believe at the moment it's some nonsense like 13 ability uses/attack commands to max out (multiple hits don't count), but it'll get buffed in the future to require less.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So do the rewards reset when a torment dungeon re-opens? I want to give Bartz and Squall that 6% spellblade damage so I need more spellblade motes.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Electric Phantasm posted:

So do the rewards reset when a torment dungeon re-opens? I want to give Bartz and Squall that 6% spellblade damage so I need more spellblade motes.

Nope. Once you beat them they're just for farming orbs (if you have an inspector program or S/L a lot).

Job motes were handled really strangely, and I'm hoping it's something they'll eventually correct, like with Onion Motes in Japan not being an issue anymore since you can just grab them in the Gyshal Shop. They can't add more new characters without occasionally giving out motes.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Nihilarian posted:

I don't know why anyone would keep that rapid fire ability. .

Yeah my abilities are overflowing with stuff from events... is there a list of ones that are useless or outdated that I can smash?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got Gabranth's USB off a $1.00 draw. I didn't bother posting any of my festival draws, but every single one of them was sick nasty ridiculously unfair. I picked up Squall's BSB2 and Ayame's BSB and now Fenrir is easy to slay in less than 30 seconds.

I still have yet to do either of the choice draws. I did so well with the other draws that I'm considering not doing them at all.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I haven't tried it yet but I hope this team will be able to manage Bismark when I do.

Orlandeau- >500ATK, OSB, +lit RM, Lifesiphon, Moderate water Resist
Ramza - Legend Dived, 8 Wrath, 4 Entrust, Chant/Shout, +SBCharge RM, Minor Water resist
OK - 8 Wrath, 6 Entrust, VoF, +SBCharge RM, Moderate Water resist
Yshtola - Legend Dived, 4 Shellga, 10 Ultra Cure, BSB, SB start RM, Moderate Water Resist
Eiko - 4 Protectga, 12 Curaja, BSB/USB, SB start RM, Major Water resist.

Focusing on getting Orlandeau's OSB to fire off with full crit buffs+VoF. Or is there maybe a better way to go about this?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Thank goodness for the Powerchain on Raines BSB, Mist Dragon went into Mist form once at around 26 seconds for me and I was just anxiously waiting to refire his BSB to finish it sub 30 for my first clear. Going to tackle Shadow Dragon soon, and hoping Black Fang plays nice.

It might also be the extra casts Raines gets from the Powerchain, but I'm having much more luck with his 35% chance then Vivi's 50% chance.

Vonnie posted:

I haven't tried it yet but I hope this team will be able to manage Bismark when I do.

Orlandeau- >500ATK, OSB, +lit RM, Lifesiphon, Moderate water Resist
Ramza - Legend Dived, 8 Wrath, 4 Entrust, Chant/Shout, +SBCharge RM, Minor Water resist
OK - 8 Wrath, 6 Entrust, VoF, +SBCharge RM, Moderate Water resist
Yshtola - Legend Dived, 4 Shellga, 10 Ultra Cure, BSB, SB start RM, Moderate Water Resist
Eiko - 4 Protectga, 12 Curaja, BSB/USB, SB start RM, Major Water resist.

Focusing on getting Orlandeau's OSB to fire off with full crit buffs+VoF. Or is there maybe a better way to go about this?

I can't give the best advice as I've tackled almost every Magicite magically (excluding Fire -
my only Water SB for my first Liquid Flame clear was Paine BSB + 24 Water Veils) but I would give Orlandeau Hailstorm/Dark Bargain and Thundering Twinstrike.

Hailstorm will put Orlandeau past the ATK soft cap so OK doesn't need to use his BSB and can just focus on Entrusting. Thundering Twinstrike is just for when you can't fire off an OSB because Onion Knight and Ramza are between turns. Less SB gained then Lifesiphon, but should be better for damage. Lifesiphon should be fine if Thundering Twinstrike isn't honed though.

Ramza might be better off Entrusting another OSB instead of using Chant. Eiko and Y'shtola are fine, but you might want to eventually drop one for extra DPS (preferably an Imperil user) to get faster clears.

Alternatively, Hailstorm + Onion BSB will also put you above the softcap, so you could swap Battleforged from OK on to Ramza, skip using Shout, and just focus on Chant/Entrust or just Entrusting. It actually saves a tiny bit of time using Onion BSB over Shout since Onion Knight should get his turn first in your party - but this matters more when you're aiming for a sub 30 clear and every second counts.

That said, Magicite cost no stamina to fail, so it's best to try out different things to see what works best.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Oof. Okay, beat Shadow Dragon. When I first played FF4 as a kid, he was my hard wall since I'd been running from most fights up to that point, and I just did not have it in me to get past that fight immediately after slogging through the Calcabrina fight. Anyway, here's what I used. It's pretty reliant on some special BSBs and USBs, so I hope you can adapt it into your teams if you're struggling.

Agrias: Lifesiphon/Shellga/Azure Blade --> OSB
Cid Raines: Memento Mori/Wrath/Scholar's Boon --> BSB
Edward: Wrath/Entrust/Battleforged --> BSB
Eiko: Curaja/Angelsong/Dr. Mog's Teachings --> USB
Yuna: Curaja/Curaise/Mako Might --> USB

Agrias and Cid were legend dived.

Black Fang is used on the fourth and eight turns. It's used again much later in the fight if you're going too slow, but you'd likely be past the enrage timer if that happens anyway. Black Fang targets the party member with the lowest percentage health and cannot be avoided with KO Resist or Last Stand or any other tricks like that, save for Galuf's invincibility. Serve up a sacrifice for this; I used Eiko, making her pop her USB right at the start for Haste and Last Stand. On turns 2 and 6, he uses AOE attacks. I made sure Eiko was at the lowest health after turn 2, and after the second AOE at turn 6, I had Yuna cast Curaise to ensure she went down again instead of someone else. After she goes down a second time, I pop Yuna's USB to raise her again and haste her. I'll have whoever's available immediately reapply Wall, and Agrias puts Shellga back on when she can.

Meanwhile, Agrias, Cid, and Edward are charging up their meters. Cid's pretty self-sufficient with his self buffs, and Edward's burst buffs Agrias's attack while also adding Imperil Holy. I used his burst twice, otherwise I tossed Entrusts over to Agrias. She just uses her OSB. She does about 75K damage, but she's legend dived and I have a lot of her relics mastered.

I was struggling hard until I realized I forgot to put on dark resist gear. Even after that though, the fight's still pretty dicey.

Sesq fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 8, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Have the 5* witch abilities been buffed at all in Japan?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I've revisited my Lightning Magicite team, and I've apparently levelled Enkidu enough that the extra MAG has pushed Shantotto's Memento Mori to kill Vivi, rather then almost kill Vivi and put him into Trance.

Nihilarian posted:

Have the 5* witch abilities been buffed at all in Japan?

Not yet. I would imagine it's on the way with how outclassed it is by the upgraded Chain Spells, but who knows when and if it'll actually happen. They might need another person who would actually focus on Witch skills other then Shantotto and Edea first.

That said, the second round of ability buffs targeted the Knight -bringer skills which were fine, and the Ninja Blink Stacking skills, which REALLY didn't need buffing, so who knows how they actually decide to buff things.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

pichupal posted:

Thank goodness for the Powerchain on Raines BSB, Mist Dragon went into Mist form once at around 26 seconds for me and I was just anxiously waiting to refire his BSB to finish it sub 30 for my first clear. Going to tackle Shadow Dragon soon, and hoping Black Fang plays nice.

Could you share your team for this? I'm really close to getting the sub-30 on Mist Dragon, but I feel like I need Shelke's legend dive to make my team consistent.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

ZiegeDame posted:

Could you share your team for this? I'm really close to getting the sub-30 on Mist Dragon, but I feel like I need Shelke's legend dive to make my team consistent.

I honestly think I have a pretty good mage team for Mist Dragon that could be tricky to replicate, but hopefully this helps.

Raines (99) // Memento Mori R3 // Unused // Full LD // BSB // Weakness +30% RM (Dark+ weapon and armor)
Kuja (99) // Memento Mori R2 // Morbid Countdown R1 // Partial RD // Imperil BSB, EnDark SSB // Gathering Storm RM (Dark+ weapon and armor)
Shelke (93) // Wrath R5 // Entrust R2 // Full RD // No SB used // Mako Might
Onion Knight (99) // Wrath R5 // Entrust R2 // Full RD // BSB // Dr. Mog's
Sarah (99) // Curada R2 // Shellga R2 // Partial RD // BSB // 20% dualcast White

Magicite is Enkidu. Focused on ice resist and Magic for the sub magicite. I did Mist Dragon first, so no dark boosts.

Raines and Kuja have Ice Resist & MAG +15 relics, everyone else has Holy resist.

Turn 1 is really the most planned out. Shelke has the highest speed and goes first, Entrusting to Raines. OK uses BSB, Sarah uses Shellga, Raines uses Memento Mori, Kuja pops Ellara's Wall.

From then on:

Raines: BSB -> Spam Command 1, save second BSB cast as finisher (It hit for 8x9999. Almost OSB level)
Kuja: Memento Mori -> Morbid Countdown until Entrusted from Shelke/OK, then BSB for Imperil, SSB for Endark then BSB for second Imperil, with Command 1 if no SB bar ready.
Shelke: Wrath up to 1 bar, Entrust to Kuja, watch SB bars to Entrust early if Kuja/Shelke taking a lot of hits. Will be the one to use Enkidu if needed
OK: Wrath once, Entrust to Kuja, Wrath twice, Entrust to Kuja
Sarah: Curada spam, BSB, Command 1 spam

Kuja's going BSB -> SSB -> BSB is pretty close to just BSB spam because of Raines, it just does a bit more on average and helps save on Raines dualcast luck. I chose Morbid Countdown just because it has a ridiculous multiplier, and when you're aiming for sub 30, losing 3 off your Doom Timer is nothing. Sarah can probably take Battleforged or Lionheart instead, I got 0 dualcasts my successful run.

If you have his BSB, Larsa can run Curada/Entrust with Mako Might which would free up your Entrust Battery to take Battleforged instead, but you'd still need to squish Shellga in somewhere as Enkidu would be your only Medica. Larsa could probably get a Medica cast off near the end, or if you no longer need to Entrust to DPS you could Entrust like a quarter bar to Larsa.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 8, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I was using a mixed team of Raines and Sephiroth with EnDark-> OSB but I could swap out Sephi for Nabat with Imperil if that'd work better. Probably my biggest problem was trying to get fancy with the Fabula Raider RW and leaning on Rosa USB which is great if it works but it takes a lot of luck with him spreading his damage to the right people before she can wrath up the first bar. (With Shelke LD I'd have enough actions to entrust a single wrath to Rosa early.) Maybe tomorrow I'll try again with Wall so I can survive a couple hits, but it'd mean saying goodbye to Ramza USB and that sweet opening insta-cast.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Are Tidus, Vaan, and Lightning good enough to dive with just their USBs?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

ceaselessfuture posted:

Are Tidus, Vaan, and Lightning good enough to dive with just their USBs?

USBs are built to be used with 5* abilities, so definitely, provided you have the orbs to hone

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Awesome, great to hear it. I have a lot of work to do for the upcoming weeks, apparently!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Awesome, great to hear it. I have a lot of work to do for the upcoming weeks, apparently!

Lightning in particular can almost solo Bismarck in sub-30 seconds with her USB, dive, and a well-honed Thundering Twinstrike. Faces melt. Vaan probably gets the least out of his dive, but it at least adds more damage for when he's spamming instant daggerskills/Thief's Revenges/Mug Bloodlusts.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

pichupal posted:

I can't give the best advice as I've tackled almost every Magicite magically (excluding Fire -
my only Water SB for my first Liquid Flame clear was Paine BSB + 24 Water Veils) but I would give Orlandeau Hailstorm/Dark Bargain and Thundering Twinstrike.

Hailstorm will put Orlandeau past the ATK soft cap so OK doesn't need to use his BSB and can just focus on Entrusting. Thundering Twinstrike is just for when you can't fire off an OSB because Onion Knight and Ramza are between turns. Less SB gained then Lifesiphon, but should be better for damage. Lifesiphon should be fine if Thundering Twinstrike isn't honed though.

Ramza might be better off Entrusting another OSB instead of using Chant. Eiko and Y'shtola are fine, but you might want to eventually drop one for extra DPS (preferably an Imperil user) to get faster clears.

Alternatively, Hailstorm + Onion BSB will also put you above the softcap, so you could swap Battleforged from OK on to Ramza, skip using Shout, and just focus on Chant/Entrust or just Entrusting. It actually saves a tiny bit of time using Onion BSB over Shout since Onion Knight should get his turn first in your party - but this matters more when you're aiming for a sub 30 clear and every second counts.

That said, Magicite cost no stamina to fail, so it's best to try out different things to see what works best.

I have Thundering Twinstrike at r3 and hailstorm at r2, so that is an option.

It depends on how much damage TG does per hit, if it somehow deals 50k then Chant would be superfluous since it's still RNG dependent even with Eiko BSB's crit boost. If and when I manage to clear him well enough to switch in Lightning for her BSB2 I'd definitely stick to entrusting the keep up the imperil stacks.

OK and Ramza already both have the Battleforge effect RMs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man, I knew Dark Dragon was going to be my toughest fight, and it definitely shows - I can just barely force him into phase 2 before the second Black Fang, but then the barrage of AoEs just gun me down.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm trying to sub 30 shadow dragon and it's really frustrating, I can't seem to deal enough damage at the start of the fight so I am forced to eat a black fang and then it goes to poo poo

I have:

TGCid OSB
Pecil USB + OSB
Agrias BSB + OSB
Raines BSB+ OSB legend dived
Shelke 4* dived awaiting her legend dive
Rikku USB
Ramza Shout + USB
Rosa USB/Y'shtola BSB + wall w/ legend dive/Deuce SSB + BSB + USB

Enough +holy gear to kit everyone out with +40%

Help goons

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 8, 2017

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Been clicking some event stages with auto-autobattle on over at JP while watching cat videos from Youtube. Got Rapha USB from the current support lucky. Compared it to Tellah BSB which I had.

Tellah:
Party +30 mag /haste /quickcast magic 3
Self Burst Mode

Rapha Ultra
Self Enlightning

:thunk:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Bismark trip report: Got wrecked with one last OSB left in his healthbar, Crits weren't very relevant, got maybe three the whole time, gonna see what the damage difference is with shout instead.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to use Twinstrike and hailstorm, whoops.

But man the stats are just ridiculous.

Attempt 2: Okay Hailstorm helped, I was hitting 90k with a crit, but set up seemed to take longer and I ended up dying with Bismark still at half health, I should probably have entrusted Eiko for the last stand.

Attempt 3: Got roughly to where I was in attempt 1, then he got several turns in before I could get Eiko USB off.

I'm not sure what I can do to optimize this, I could toss knight's charge on Orlandeau for the extra SB gain, but that'd be a chunk of damage lost from the RM change. Does the +Lit damage from RM's stack with +Lit from a weapon?

Vonnie fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 8, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Been clicking some event stages with auto-autobattle on over at JP while watching cat videos from Youtube. Got Rapha USB from the current support lucky. Compared it to Tellah BSB which I had.

Tellah:
Self Burst Mode

Rapha Ultra
Self Enlightning

Tellah has a Burst? (Real question, I didn't think he did.)

edit: oh, JP.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 8, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tellah:
Self Burst Mode

Rapha Ultra
Self Enlightning

both of them stole that tech from Papalymo's SSB

EDIT: we'll be getting Tellah's burst in the next IV event, which shouldn't be too far off.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Tellah gets a USB level BSB to counteract the sudden jarring DS sprites that appear during the animation. It's just game balance.

https://ffrk-movie.static.sp.mbga.jp/soul_strike/10401100/20170609_5l54mTf9Tq4.mp4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

pichupal posted:

Tellah gets a USB level BSB to counteract the sudden jarring DS sprites that appear during the animation. It's just game balance.

https://ffrk-movie.static.sp.mbga.jp/soul_strike/10401100/20170609_5l54mTf9Tq4.mp4

What the hell

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I guess it's fair that IV would get the worst SB animation since IV has the best one too in Rydia OSB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I guess it's fair that IV would get the worst SB animation since IV has the best one too in Rydia OSB.

Is there video of it anywhere? I can't find anything.

• Locked thread