Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

Counterpoint: Trickle down works, as you can see here when Daisy weeps with gratitude.

Thanks for this. Saving for later.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I hope Gary hates himself into a heart attack like Bill Leak did, jesus christ.

edit: also I approve of the posting of cute animals as reminders that there's good in the world let's keep doing that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Does anyone have that cartoon where a bunch of dems are silently watching a meter for popularity of some policy and then scramble over themselves to declare support after it reaches 60ish

Googling pops up nothing related, just conservative shitheads like Branco

E: Thanks man
vvvvvv

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 8, 2017

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Jackard posted:

Does anyone have that cartoon where a bunch of dems are silently watching a meter for popularity of some policy and then scramble over themselves to declare support after it reaches 60ish

Bors on Gay Marriage support. Phone posting so imgur is being a dick for me :sigh:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jackard posted:

Googling pops up nothing related, just conservative shitheads like Branco

E: Thanks man
vvvvvv

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's basically

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

This cartoon was deemed so racist by Australian standards-- Australia, the country with literal concentration camps for illegal immigrants-- that it resulted in a full-blown parliamentary human rights inquiry. What do you want to bet Gary doesn't even lose any papers over this?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
When I see this it occurs to me that I don't know, from a political philosophy perspective, if it's better as a representative to wait for your constituents to decide what is right and then do it, or do what you think is right immediately and spend the rest of the time convincing your constituents that you made the right decision? It's easy to call the former cowardly but is that how scholars of it think about it?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ya know....

He and his brother have a daily strip - The Flying McCoys. Wonder how many newspaper editors are aware of this side of them?

Sure would be interesting to email that toon to your local paper that carries them.

Just sayin'.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Samurai Sanders posted:

When I see this it occurs to me that I don't know, from a political philosophy perspective, if it's better as a representative to wait for your constituents to decide what is right and then do it, or do what you think is right immediately and spend the rest of the time convincing your constituents that you made the right decision? It's easy to call the former cowardly but is that how scholars of it think about it?

That's something political philosophers have been debating for centuries. Read up on the delegate and trustee models of representation.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Wasn't there an edit of that cartoon referring to Leak himself when he died?

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009
It was by his son, too, iirc

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
We should tell Glenn that his idiot no-talent brother is loving up their deniability.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pakled posted:

That's something political philosophers have been debating for centuries. Read up on the delegate and trustee models of representation.
Yeah, I figured it was a debate as old as democracy itself, I just didn't know what the two sides were called. Thanks.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

The tags on the website that hosts it somehow makes it even MORE racist.

Cagle Cartoons posted:

TAGS: Fathers,Absentee Fathers,Inner City Crime,Drug Dealers,Black Lives Matter,Kids Without Dads,Black Community,Gang Violence,Black on Black Crime,Police Shootings,Anthony Lamar Smith,Heroin,Jason Stockley,Unwed Mothers,Single Black Mothers

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

TheBigAristotle posted:

How much are boner pills without insurance

Haha, as if it's something you need to worry about.

... wait

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

This cartoon isn't even saying that, it's just being cynical for the sake of being cynical. Marriage equality had become mainstream, but I still want to show I'm better than them because I was for it before it was cool. He's being a political hipster and attacking people for only joining the right side of history once it was more acceptable rather than when that support would have helped elect Republicans by standing for something unpopular and then losing the popularity contest we call elections. He wants to say that even though we all agree now, he was there first and so that makes him, an unelected individual, more important.

It's one of his more Ted Rall moments. He can't just call a win a win, he also has to poo poo on his team for no reason.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Cpt.Americant posted:

This cartoon isn't even saying that, it's just being cynical for the sake of being cynical. Marriage equality had become mainstream, but I still want to show I'm better than them because I was for it before it was cool. He's being a political hipster and attacking people for only joining the right side of history once it was more acceptable rather than when that support would have helped elect Republicans by standing for something unpopular and then losing the popularity contest we call elections. He wants to say that even though we all agree now, he was there first and so that makes him, an unelected individual, more important.

It's one of his more Ted Rall moments. He can't just call a win a win, he also has to poo poo on his team for no reason.

I know that ideals and morals are soo 2008, but this post made me physically unwell. I mean I'm used to callous media personalities and politicians treating politics like a game, but to see it repeated on a comparatively left-leaning forum like this is depressing.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Zemyla posted:

Wasn't there an edit of that cartoon referring to Leak himself when he died?

Hello Meow posted:

It was by his son, too, iirc
Couldn't find that, but here's one from Johannes Leak that riffs on his father's cartoon:

And some of Bill's own variations on it (the first one was his initial response to people calling him out for the racism of the original, also there might be more of these that I'm not aware of):

And to finish, here's this wonderful thing by Leslie Rice, who's an artist of some renown and doesn't appear to have ever done any other editorial cartoons:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

tyblazitar posted:

I know that ideals and morals are soo 2008, but this post made me physically unwell. I mean I'm used to callous media personalities and politicians treating politics like a game, but to see it repeated on a comparatively left-leaning forum like this is depressing.

You can't get legislation passed without getting enough votes, if openly supporting something is counterproductive to that goal it would be foolish to do so. Like it or not passing legislation is a game, any rule structure with a winning condition is a game, your disagreement is with the world, not with those telling you how it works.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

This is inspired.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Wow, the cops killed that kid's dad when he was so young he can't even remember him. A tragic cartoon.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732?lang=en

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Cpt.Americant posted:

Not long ago, Bors reposted that cartoon with a caption saying “this, but for single-payer.” Which isn’t wrong, per se, but the same criticisms apply.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

tyblazitar posted:

I too remember when MLK screamed at people who supported him for not supporting him sooner, and told them to get hosed.

This attitude, that purity is always more important than success, is something hugely emblematic of people whose support of issues is far more to do with self image than actually making anything better.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fulchrum posted:

I too remember when MLK screamed at people who supported him for not supporting him sooner, and told them to get hosed.

This attitude, that purity is always more important than success, is something hugely emblematic of people whose support of issues is far more to do with self image than actually making anything better.

I remember when he castigated moderates for saying it just wasn't the right time for civil rights.

Realistically it there has to be a trade-off between purist and pragmatists for things to actually progress. Yeah, we know that if you never compromise and hold everyone to an absolute standard then nothing gets done because you runoff everyone that you need to sway. But on the other side, if you don't have purists holding up a standard and pushing back when people cave on it, then you end up compromising too much.

Borrs hasn't built a career on deliberate contrarianism, so if he wants to put out the occasional "welcome to the bandwagon" snarky cartoon, he's earned it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

there wolf posted:

I remember when he castigated moderates for saying it just wasn't the right time for civil rights.

Realistically it there has to be a trade-off between purist and pragmatists for things to actually progress. Yeah, we know that if you never compromise and hold everyone to an absolute standard then nothing gets done because you runoff everyone that you need to sway. But on the other side, if you don't have purists holding up a standard and pushing back when people cave on it, then you end up compromising too much.

Borrs hasn't built a career on deliberate contrarianism, so if he wants to put out the occasional "welcome to the bandwagon" snarky cartoon, he's earned it.

You do understand the difference between past and present, right? MLK criticized people who held those views as he wrote those words, in his present. He intended to change minds. This is criticizing people who held opinions in the past. Either he intends to get people to change their minds, or he's just jerking off.

Also, this is the exact polar opposite of pushing back when people cave. This is pushing back when people cave to your position. So again, you either want them to change back, or it's pure self congratulation.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think it's more about making GBS threads on political opportunists who don't give a poo poo one way or the other, but now that it's seen as the right thing to do, they're acting like they support it and have always supported it.

On the one hand, I can understand being frustrated with people who are only supporting you because it is politically expedient, especially when they were looking the other way (or worse!) for years. On the other hand, support is support, even if it's for the wrong reasons. Better "I am supporting gay marriage because the polls tell me it looks good" than "I am opposing gay marriage because Jesus."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

getting angry at the politicians is pointless anyway. if you need to be angry at someone, be angry at the people that didn't support you. You're never going to get the politicians on your side on an unpopular issue, at least not without a lot of bribery. Voting against the will of your constituents isn't a great career move.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fulchrum posted:

You do understand the difference between past and present, right? MLK criticized people who held those views as he wrote those words, in his present. He intended to change minds. This is criticizing people who held opinions in the past. Either he intends to get people to change their minds, or he's just jerking off.

Also, this is the exact polar opposite of pushing back when people cave. This is pushing back when people cave to your position. So again, you either want them to change back, or it's pure self congratulation.

Opinions they held onto out of a desire to maintain a status quo, and only changed when polling showed a new status quo. Borrs is just reminding you that settling for the status quo is cowardly and not the actions of a good friend, which is really only controversial to the people who don't want that to be true.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hey, guess which people don’t dwell on these moral quandaries? Right-wing voters. They don’t give a gently caress about what their politicians used to believe, or even if these positions are completely hypocritical to how they actually live their lives. All they care about is that their politicians are saying what they want to hear. They don’t even seem to give a gently caress if they vote in complete contrast to their positions! As long as they blatantly lie and say “actually, this bill that’s going to kill a bunch of people isn’t going to kill a bunch of people,” their voters cheer them on

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

there wolf posted:

Opinions they held onto out of a desire to maintain a status quo, and only changed when polling showed a new status quo. Borrs is just reminding you that settling for the status quo is cowardly and not the actions of a good friend, which is really only controversial to the people who don't want that to be true.

They by definition did not settle for the status quo since they changed their opinions. So, again, it's purely jerking off.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fulchrum posted:

And generally people start to get distrustful of political windvanes, and respect the ones that dont treat people like idiots by saying they were always for it before it got popular, and actually acknowledge their shortcomings.
But apparently thats a big no-no in brokebrained political campaigner thought, gotta double down, you were never wrong and are wildly spinning like a top in a hurricane.

What im trying to say is theres a worrying tendency for politicians to go "nope nope cant be done sorry never will happen be realistic" until it passes a magical threshold of open public support then it automagically becomes entirely possible.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And generally people start to get distrustful of political windvanes, and respect the ones that dont treat people like idiots by saying they were always for it before it got popular, and actually acknowledge their shortcomings.
But apparently thats a big no-no in brokebrained political campaigner thought, gotta double down, you were never wrong and are wildly spinning like a top in a hurricane.

What im trying to say is theres a worrying tendency for politicians to go "nope nope cant be done sorry never will happen be realistic" until it passes a magical threshold of open public support then it automagically becomes entirely possible.

So what you want to tell politicians is to never, ever change your mind or get swayed by the argument. Fight forever to defend your original position, because if you ever get convinced, like a sane and reasonable person, that makes you a weathervane.

Once again, it's just about being a hipster and bragging that you were into it before it was popular.

Also, trying to shove something the public is vehemently against down their throats is impossible, you idiot. The GOP just learned that with the repeal BS. If it still had a 72% support, there wouldn't have been a problem.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 8, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Of course a politician changing their mind or stance doesnt make them a windvane, and you seem to want no nuance on this matter. Common practice for politicians seems to be to have a against/for stance depending purely on public support, not whether the subject or cause is inarguably beneficial or even benign to the public.

Lets take Hillary and gay marriage: publically she was against it, then suddenly she was always for it. Its infantilizing of the public and a very dishonest way to go about it; I respected Obama's approach more.

Acknowledgment of faults and accountability are two things that are in heavy shortage in politics, and more of it is never a bad thing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Of course a politician changing their mind or stance doesnt make them a windvane, and you seem to want no nuance on this matter. Common practice for politicians seems to be to have a against/for stance depending purely on public support, not whether the subject or cause is inarguably beneficial or even benign to the public.

Lets take Hillary and gay marriage: publically she was against it, then suddenly she was always for it. Its infantilizing of the public and a very dishonest way to go about it; I respected Obama's approach more.

Acknowledgment of faults and accountability are two things that are in heavy shortage in politics, and more of it is never a bad thing.

Obama's approach was to get backed into a corner by Joe Biden, and then just say he evolved.

Also, when did she ever claim she had always supported gay marriage? She gave the exact same answer as Obama. But, because it's her, it's of course entirely different and not acceptable.

Also, the last election proved that America loving despises acknowledgement of faults and accountability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Why is Bernie Sanders accepting the Nobel Prize and who is the dude handing them out?

For reference:

Beatrice Fihn, executive director of ICAN and presumably the person who will accept the actual award.

Last year's award ceremony: leader of the Nobel Committee Berit Reiss-Andersen hands the diploma and medal to Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos. She is still the leader and will most likely hand out this year's award as well.

• Locked thread