Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's always weird being reminded that not everyone has the strong urge to lobotomize their memories of high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Enourmo posted:

It's always weird being reminded that not everyone has the strong urge to lobotomize their memories of high school.

At least in my case the times were supremely poo poo, but the people were pretty drat cool.
My high school stopped doing reunions in 14, I was class of 06 :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

monsterzero posted:

That was me. I have an 01, and had the trans rebuilt by an ATRA shop and it was $2,300 and I think the case was the only part original. Took two weeks and came with a 3yr/50k warranty that covers me at any ATRA shop. Maybe check their website and see if there are any rebuilders near him.

Thanks man, found one close by.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

For 15k buy the newest CR-V or RAV4 you can find.

Stay away from '05 to at least '10 4cyl RAV4s, they have the oil burning problem due to defective piston rings.

http://www.toyotaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 8, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

At least in my case the times were supremely poo poo, but the people were pretty drat cool.
My high school stopped doing reunions in 14, I was class of 06 :smith:

I've never gone to one of my HS reunions, because I didn't really have many friends in high school, being a nerd. My next big reunion opportunity will be the 40th, and at that point... why bother?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you had a ton of friends in high school it might be fun, but yeah otherwise why bother especially if the few good friends you had aren't going either :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My high school doesn't even exist anymore, and my entire graduating class was less than 20 people (I want to say it was 17?). Needless to say, we didn't have anything like "prom", "sports", "homecoming", or "reunions".

I stay in touch with a handful of people, and generally see them once every couple of years (some are still in my home town, some escaped to Austin.. Austin's only 3 hours away vs ~9 for El Paso, I don't make it out to El Paso nearly as often as Austin).

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I was lucky to be in a relatively big school, with enough sample size you can find quite a few like-minded losers, skids and stoners to stand around and smoke darts with between Time Crisis rounds while cutting class.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 8, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Man, we just got back from my 20 year reunion and I am floored. Almost every single person seemed genuinely pleased to see me. I got stopped for dozens of hugs and pictures and I have 29 friend requests on FB from classmates who want to reconnect. I just feel very warm and fuzzy tonight and I didn't need alcohol to get there.

*does math*
You're loving old.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

slidebite posted:

What's a genuinely cool website you have bookmarked that others probably don't know about but should?

Purely for aesthetic reasons; https://rekall.me

I forget about it for a month and then just scroll, scroll, scroll until I find where I was last time.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Man, we just got back from my 20 year reunion and I am floored. Almost every single person seemed genuinely pleased to see me. I got stopped for dozens of hugs and pictures and I have 29 friend requests on FB from classmates who want to reconnect. I just feel very warm and fuzzy tonight and I didn't need alcohol to get there.

*looks suspiciously at this post, and at the "Number of days since a Rhyno friend/family drama" tally*

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

Based on your recent history, I assume that there were 30 classmates at that reunion and the 30th one is currently in your backyard, wearing a Scream mask and carrying a carving knife and some zipties.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But, like, the really small zip ties. The ones they use to pad out the "200 ties!" number on the packaging.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

spog posted:

Based on your recent history, I assume that there were 30 classmates at that reunion and the 30th one is currently in your backyard, wearing a Scream mask and carrying a carving knife and some zipties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk3EVQnpQWs

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You Am I posted:

*looks suspiciously at this post, and at the "Number of days since a Rhyno friend/family drama" tally*

lol yup. This will only invite more drama into his life.

I graduated with about 100 people. I keep in contact (every few months we talk) with one of those people. That's plenty.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Yessss.
I recently dug out a CRT TV just to play that game.
It's still fantastic to play.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I serviced my panda yesterday and I was so tempted to cut out the baffles in the airbox, that's got to be worth an extra 5bhpwatts right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If nothing else it'll sound better which should be a decent enough reason to do it.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If nothing else it'll sound better which should be a decent enough reason to do it.

I'm behind that thinking too. My S4 doesn't make nearly enough supercharger whine, and I'm contemplating doing this airbox mod just to wake up the sound a bit (with zero performance gain).
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/782113-my-custom-intake-using-the-stock-airbox-(lots-of-pictures)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I serviced my panda yesterday and I was so tempted to cut out the baffles in the airbox, that's got to be worth an extra 5bhpwatts right?

I dunno, I read an article about someone doing this to a litre sportsbike and finding that it lost a few percent of power. Turns out these engine designers really know what they are doing.

I will concede that we are talking about very different engines, especially wrt bhp/tonne

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's getting to the point when it's cool to have a stock Jeep because nobody has one.

When i see completely stock Jeeps I want to hug the owner and say thank you.

By clean, i mean not rusted out and leaking every fluid. I'll happily buy something someone else threw a 3" rocky ridge and 33s on, lol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Hey let me live in my happy fantasy world for at least a day!

I am the only one out of 65 attendees that doesn't have kids.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Coredump posted:

I found some old .prt files from when I used to doodle in cadkey. What's my best bet for opening the files and exporting them a picture format or something? I don't see anyone selling old copies of Cadkey '97 anymore.

Solidworks will actually open them native with features intact. It's pretty ubiquitous, if you can't find someone around you with a copy I know there are like 5-10 of us here that have it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Hey let me live in my happy fantasy world for at least a day!

I am the only one out of 65 attendees that doesn't have kids.

That you know of. :dogbutton:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

We skipped our 10 year reunion, tho it wasn't anything official just a Facebook group that got created and went to a bar. Granted I went to highschool with my wife, both our best friends we have known since highschool and despite Seattle being a big city, we run into classmates pretty regularly.

freelop posted:

Yessss.
I recently dug out a CRT TV just to play that game.
It's still fantastic to play.

Time crisis is the best. The local hipster arcade/bar(add-a-ball for anyone in Seattle) is mostly pinball machines, but they have 2 time crisis cabinets that I play non stop everytime I go there. I even managed to show my wife how awesome it is so we play it together.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

Solidworks will actually open them native with features intact. It's pretty ubiquitous, if you can't find someone around you with a copy I know there are like 5-10 of us here that have it.

Good to know, thanks!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Have you driven a twinair? It makes a great noise when you put your foot down! One day I'll remember to hit you up when i'm visiting my sister and you can have a go in mine.

I was just looking on youtube to try and find an example and I instead found a video of James May talking about a 500 twinair - "Its quite good fun and it makes an interesting noise"...."the engine would be better in the Panda because the Panda is a better car" :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd love to know how much work is involved in transplanting one, it would be a 33% power bump!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you're going to transplant into a Panda, boosting a 1.4 FIRE out of a 100HP seems like the best way. I'd also be interested if the 4x4 drivetrain would stand up to it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'd love to know how much work is involved in transplanting one, it would be a 33% power bump!

More work than just buying one with one already fitted! ;)

InitialDave posted:

If you're going to transplant into a Panda, boosting a 1.4 FIRE out of a 100HP seems like the best way. I'd also be interested if the 4x4 drivetrain would stand up to it.

There is also a 105bhp version of the twinair engine that for some reason is only available in the 500 and the Punto (and the Alfa Mito I think). I don't know why they dont put it in the Panda nor how it differs from the 85bhp version.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ugh gently caress I gotta make a 6:15 train to Boston tomorrow so I can meet up with the same ship I was on last week. I'm working with the shipping company's IT guy (out in India) to see if we can poke the right holes in the right firewalls for our device to be able to talk to a server on the outside via the satellite internet connection.

Boston goons, if I need to get up to Chelsea from the South Station Amtrak, what's the best way to do that? Zipcar? Lyft?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Is there any vehicle out there that comes from the factory with negative or zero offset 15x7 or 15x8 ish steelies and a 139.7x6 PCD?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

gimpsuitjones posted:

Is there any vehicle out there that comes from the factory with negative or zero offset 15x7 or 15x8 ish steelies and a 139.7x6 PCD?
Well, I think that PCD is common on Japanese 4x4 stuff, but can you clarify your offset requirement? Negative offset means the wheel mounting face is further outboard (less track width than axle face to face length), and is generally very common, so you shouldn't have any difficulty finding that.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Negative offset to me means deep-dish, as in lower back-spacing.

Looking for some cheap factory steelies (factory off anything) that will fit my landcruiser. It came with alloys and internet searches are not very helpful for finding anything. Could buy aftermarket steelies but I like the idea of getting cheap factory take-offs and also I like the look of poverty-pack steel rims

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This must be one of those US vs UK English things, because that's backwards to me.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I need at least zero offset at a minimum and preferably more like -20

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Coredump posted:

I found some old .prt files from when I used to doodle in cadkey. What's my best bet for opening the files and exporting them a picture format or something? I don't see anyone selling old copies of Cadkey '97 anymore.

Oh man, I used to use Cadkey '97. I believe there is a free viewer out there. If you can't find one, e-mail them to IHeartJamesMay@g mail.com and I should be able to open them at work and either .tif them or .pdf them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

InitialDave posted:

This must be one of those US vs UK English things, because that's backwards to me.

Weird. I've heard of "backspacing", which is a circle track 'merica sort of thing. But wheel offset I thought was universal everywhere.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

gimpsuitjones posted:

Early 80 series landcruisers ran 15x7 in that PCD and the later ones ran 16x7 and 16x8 in that PCD with generally zero offset.

Early Hilux's ran the same PCD too.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Mean. I knew they 80 series came with 16", didn't know they came with 15".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Aero Race wheels also have 15" steelies that used to be $125/piece ($200 a piece of you wanted the light weight race version in purple chrome finish)

• Locked thread