Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tenzarin posted:

Found High Elf stacks that work pretty well but drat at 7k upkeep each they are nuts to field.

Nothing but the finest artisanal wines and cappuccinos in the field for elfkind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Pretty sure it's been that way in custom battles since uh Empire?

Okay I'll level with you, I haven't played a total war game since medieval 1 until I picked up Warhammer. Stupid movement bars. Nothing wrong with crossing the entire Russian steppe in one turn.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, I managed to avoid campaign spoilers so far.

Rats did 9/11. Holy poo poo, I did not see that coming. Godspeed, you crazy, crazy rodent. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 8, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Okay I'll level with you, I haven't played a total war game since medieval 1 until I picked up Warhammer. Stupid movement bars. Nothing wrong with crossing the entire Russian steppe in one turn.

A lot of the most noticeable changes came with Rome 2. I mean from Medieval 1 there have been a few big strategy map changes too (like the loss of the risk style province movement), but the fundamental unit combat mostly worked the same until Rome 2, when they added health for individual units (before that, things like defense and armour were just "chance to not die when attacked"). Armies being structured around a lord are also one of those changes - in Shogun 2 you could still move units on the strategy map independently of a general (although I'm not sure if you could do custom/multi battles without picking one).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Has someone modded out intervention armies yet.

Magni posted:

Rats did 9/11. Holy poo poo, I did not see that coming. Goodspeed, you crazy, crazy rodent. :haw:

The saddest thing to me is that most people on day 1/2 immediately just spoiled all 4 plotlines because they apparently don't play many nonstrategy games and didn't realize it was a dick move.

Cause all 4 stories are great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
DE are spamming archers, shades, and artillery. This is literally the only time I've ever used cavalry and not have it die horrible deaths.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

*very quietly, on the wind* shooooguuuuun twoooooo

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So I started a VH Queek campaign and, uh, is it normal for Kroq-Gar to have 3 full stacks of almost entirely Sauruses by turn 24? Because I don't think I'm going to beat that somehow.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Ambushes and lightning strikes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Re: radious mod

he hasn't added any warhammer 2 team units yet, but the first game teams have their units

he did increase the economy and oh boy do I have to be a lot more aggressive now since the AI has money to field armies

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Has someone modded out intervention armies yet.

The saddest thing to me is that most people on day 1/2 immediately just spoiled all 4 plotlines because they apparently don't play many nonstrategy games and didn't realize it was a dick move.

Cause all 4 stories are great.

If you hate intervention armies just mod data_2.pack. It's in the script files there. You'd just have to set the [1,2,1,1] or whatever all to 0 throughout one of the files, which isn't that large. Not sure if anybody has done it yet.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Any new info on the Mortal Empires map release? Been traveling a while and not up to speed with the latest TW news.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Magni posted:

Rats did 9/11. Holy poo poo, I did not see that coming. Godspeed, you crazy, crazy rodent. :haw:

I hit that point at 2am after three hours of going one more turn. Great plot twist.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Malekith rolls up with 18 shades. Hold my horses please.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there any estimated time for the combined map being added? I'm not by any means done with the current one yet, just wondering when it'll drop.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Is there any estimated time for the combined map being added? I'm not by any means done with the current one yet, just wondering when it'll drop.

they said a few months, then corrected to a few weeks

so the answer is 2 months which fits both of those

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I mean, it's not impossible!

https://totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia.com/Ironclad

They have said in interviews and such that they have no plans to follow through with naval combat, because they want to focus on land combat.

Which is kind of weird in the context of how central naval combat is to the second game.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
God drat this game has a lot of siege defenses compared to WH1.

Also, turns out that plague ritual dude doesn't do poo poo to enemy garrisons. But if you defeat the garrison when they sally out at you, it gives you the plague anyways. :argh:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I'm invading Naggaroth now in my Tyrion campaign. Me and Jabba the Toad are wrecking our way through their territory and yet I haven't seen Malekith all game. 111 turns in and yet not a single sighting. He seems to just be hiding in a corner somewhere.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Any tips for a Naggaroth campaign? How far should I expand and how I build a dark elf economy? I imagine raiding and slaves are a big part of it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This game lets you turtle so you don't have to go far. For malakith, west are skaven that are good to raid, have a bad climate for you, and has a unique building if you capture the altar town. North are norse with the bad unit roster but are good for a raid and are easy to defend from.

East and south are different dark elves but they both have unique building chains and you pretty much want to take them all out. In fact, just take out all of canada except for west canada since it is poo poo.

You really don't need more than two provinces to win this game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Skaven can pretty much rule all of the Southlands without penalty, and there's like 3 agriculture regions in the southern half. No wonder Queek gets a tough start, he can pretty much steamroll once he kills Kroq-gar off.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I really like what they've done with magic in this game. Playing as Teclis doesn't feel like a penalty. You're still squishy in melee, even with both of his quest items, but holy poo poo does he have the best spells in the game and a gigantic winds pool to draw from. A well placed Chain Lightning can rout an entire army, and he can poo poo out enough buffs to make your sea guard core tankier than it has business being.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey, do Engineer bonuses still stack in this game? I'm planning out my end-game army composition for Queek, and instead of taking another 2 Warp Lightning Cannon batteries like some demented supervillain, I'm also thinking of taking an additional Warlock Engineer and a Plague Priest instead to diversify my supervillainy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The final battle seems tough. I'm sending Mazda back home from his conquest of Queek and those southern elves to pick up some carnosaurs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

JBP posted:

The final battle seems tough.

Did you not see the 2 buttons on the side that read "blow up a entire unit every 30 seconds" and "heal up your entire army and kill anything nearby every 30 seconds" with unlimited uses?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

No I didn't. I didn't launch the mission based on the forces and figured I'd jam all my most experienced dinos into the army.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Oh yah.. that is the stuff

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1159967423

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Skaven can pretty much rule all of the Southlands without penalty, and there's like 3 agriculture regions in the southern half. No wonder Queek gets a tough start, he can pretty much steamroll once he kills Kroq-gar off.

Not only do you get those 3 food sites, but fully upgrading the main building in the wood elf settlement gives you an additional 3 food. Then you can slap the food commandment on there. Since it's a one-city province you come out another +1 ahead. And since it only ever gets 5 building slots, you aren't missing out on much with the 30% tax penalty.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Vargs posted:

Not only do you get those 3 food sites, but fully upgrading the main building in the wood elf settlement gives you an additional 3 food. Then you can slap the food commandment on there. Since it's a one-city province you come out another +1 ahead. And since it only ever gets 5 building slots, you aren't missing out on much with the 30% tax penalty.

Now, see, I didn't know this and now that I do, guess Oreon's little camp is going to be a rat-infested shithole instead of a burning ruin now. And because it's right beside Karak Zorn...well, that Dwarfen Hold is truly going to be a lost Hold soon.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Jesus, did the Elves piss in somebody's cornflakes? Started a game as Tyrion, immediately recruited some chump prince to go around and collect sea treasure and make contact with all of the Southlands factions. With the exception of Sartosa every one of them has declared war on me and now I have a couple of Brettonian armies headed my way :negative:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

That's just a natural reaction to Elves.

Stupid Elves.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Pretty epic remix of the skaven victory theme

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Jesus, did the Elves piss in somebody's cornflakes? Started a game as Tyrion, immediately recruited some chump prince to go around and collect sea treasure and make contact with all of the Southlands factions. With the exception of Sartosa every one of them has declared war on me and now I have a couple of Brettonian armies headed my way :negative:

God I love the lovely idiot princes and princesses you can recruit early.

Mine is a fat slob of an elf princess who can barely be pulled away from feasts long enough to murder dudes and it owns.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
:v:: "Yeah it's still a dumb time limit game but at least this time I've been able to use diplomacy to create shields. No dumb uberspawns from chaos at least. I'll just activate this second ritual..."
*3 chaos uberspawns warp in 50 feet from my two armies*
:v:: "Oh right, it's a CA game."

The big map normal rear end campaign can't get here soon enough.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You guys do know that the intervention stacks from both chaos and the other factions will almost always spawn in the exact same place?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think the coding for their spawn locations is similar to Savage Greenskin hordes and Beastmen warherds in that they'll generally spawn in a neighboring province to your empire's furthest borders, and this may include coastal zones in the later rituals. Unfortunately, Rogue Armies seem to be exempt to this rule, and if you're unlucky you might face one with a particularly insane roster; one I encountered as Lizardmen was a combined VC/Bretonnian cavalry roster.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Somebody should probably make a list of known rogue armies.

One of the more memorable ones i ran into recently was called Troll Skullz or something to that effect, basically a full stack of Trolls, Giants, and Cygors. My first battle with them did not go particularly well.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

madmac posted:

Somebody should probably make a list of known rogue armies.

One of the more memorable ones i ran into recently was called Troll Skullz or something to that effect, basically a full stack of Trolls, Giants, and Cygors. My first battle with them did not go particularly well.

they are on honga already

https://www.honga.net/totalwar/warhammer2/faction.php?l=en&v=warhammer2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Beastcatchas popped up in one of my regions with a bunch of squigs, a hydra and other assorted beast-type enemies and my half-stack of t1 units did NOT enjoy that one bit.