Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Twelve Batmans posted:

While you are right about how ugly it is, the game feels and plays great. I feel like it's even more chaotic than Marvel 3 was especially since the player being combo'ed actually has an opportunity to combo break. The roster kinda sucks and you are absolutely right about story mode and Capcom used to think story mode was stupid as hell too until they were constantly reamed for not having it in SFV (along with arcade mode). Story mode in fighting games is loving stupid but since MK made it popular now we have to deal with it instead of those resources going to a better-balanced game.

It does play great. But everything else about it is so soulless I just can't get into it. Nothing about this game excites me. For a game that supposedly wants to appeal to a more casual market, the only appeal I get out of it is the mechanics. Which I guess shouldn't be surprising as they did go on to make that "characters = mechanics" statement. Still, the fact that they saw no value in producing a roster there would be genuine hype for, a genuinely appealing and stylish aesthetic nor engaging and fun single player campaign is a disappointing blunder at best, unchecked corporate meddling at worst.

Though single player campaigns can be pretty great if you go all out with stuff like they used to do in Soul Caliber and Arc System games, with a hundred challenges, modes and crazy rear end bullshit you'd never encounter in a competitive player fight. Not when you phone it in with a lovely story and 90% fighting drones.

Sherry Bahm fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It does play great. But everything else about it is so soulless I just can't get into it. Nothing about this game excites me. For a game that supposedly wants to appeal to a more casual market, the only appeal I get out of it is the mechanics. Which I guess shouldn't be surprising as they did go on to make that "characters = mechanics" statement. Still, the fact that they saw no value in producing a roster there would be genuine hype for, a genuinely appealing and stylish aesthetic nor engaging and fun single player campaign is a disappointing blunder at best, unchecked corporate meddling at worst.

Though single player campaigns can be pretty great if you go all out with stuff like they used to do in Soul Caliber and Arc System games, with a hundred challenges, modes and crazy rear end bullshit you'd never encounter in a competitive player fight. Not when you phone it in with a lovely story and 90% fighting drones.

The XMen arent in this game because Sony still has the movie rights to them, and thats all that there is to it. The roster is a mess because a ton of the most iconic characters cant show up because Marvel doesnt want Sony to get "free" publicity by putting the XMen in the game.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Meme Emulator posted:

The XMen arent in this game because Sony still has the movie rights to them, and thats all that there is to it. The roster is a mess because a ton of the most iconic characters cant show up because Marvel doesnt want Sony to get "free" publicity by putting the XMen in the game.

Well, yeah. That's not exactly a secret to anyone. But that's still on Marvel for being such butts about the movie rights that they've willingly shot themselves in the foot when it came to one of the most iconic video games with their name on it.

And even beyond that, there's so many other characters they could have chosen on both the Marvel and Capcom side. Who was pining for Spencer and Arthur, really? Especially when other Capcom staples from Darkstalkers, DMC, RE, etc. got left out?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This might blow some minds but Capcom makes really, really bad games, as a general rule, and has been doing so for like a decade. The very few games that they do well on like RE7 get crazy hyped because it's such a rare occurrence.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I thought RE7 got real old real fast. :shrug:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
They once made a Megaman game I liked.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Capcom makes ace attorney, but then refuses to translate the best one so they are a capricious god

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Careful Drums posted:

yes it does? it has like three or four of them

i mean yeah you can keep mucking around in the game after the ending as long as you want, but there is definitely an ending.

here's an apparently unpopular video game opinion: Fallout 4 is an awesome, rad, cool, good and sweet game that I greatly enjoyed playing earlier this year

It "has" an "ending"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

They once made a Megaman game I liked.

they made a mega man game i liked too, then they got me all excited for a sequel and then cancelled it very publicly because i was not excited enough

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

they made a mega man game i liked too, then they got me all excited for a sequel and then cancelled it very publicly because i was not excited enough

:smith:

I spent 75 hours on the first Legends game when I was a kid.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

I wanted an MML2 sequel, but not on a loving handheld

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

I frankly don't even know why people harp so much on the X-men/Marvel side. Marvel literally does nothing but sit back and let Capcom actually make their characters look semi-cool in a video-game. I've wanted a Capcom All-stars game forever- which could actually fix something likes seeing another Darkstlkers character outside the titty-monster squad (I was really surprised to see Jedah).

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

The characters = functions thing was funny but ultimately true for people who actually enjoy learning fighting games. I love practice mode and playing with friends so mechanics are a huge deal for me. I play a lot of fighting games and many of them have certainly not looked great (like launch KOF XIV) but the feel of the MVCI- what i think should be most important- is definitely very Capcom. I was super disappointed though to not see Gene or Asura or even a god drat Breath of Fire rep. Outside of Venom I haven't really given a poo poo about any of the Marvel characters revealed because Marvel kind of sucks a big fat dick right now anyway with its focus on MCU garbage and the comics now are just watered-down SJW trash. They took out the only 2 marvel characters I played: She-hulk and MODOK, so I pretty much just stick to the left side of the screen.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I think the Mega Man Battle Network series are the best Mega Man games. Excepting the first and fourth game.
Mega Man Zero is the second best.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Twelve Batmans posted:

Outside of Venom I haven't really given a poo poo about any of the Marvel characters revealed because Marvel kind of sucks a big fat dick right now anyway with its focus on MCU garbage and the comics now are just watered-down SJW trash.

I dunno. I think turning Captain America and Magneto into Nazis kind of balances out the numerous women and brown people being superheroes.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
All of the assassins creed games are boring garbage. I don't know why they sell so well.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

[quote="“RobotDogPolice”" post="“477147307”"]
All of the assassins creed games are boring garbage. I don’t know why they sell so well.
[/quote]

Parkour owns and other than the story about future templars and the animus going straight to poo poo after a game or two, they're fun games

Black Flag is legit top 10 game for me and the France AssCreed is very good too (tbf I played it 1 year after it released so it was all patched up)

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Parkour owns and other than the story about future templars and the animus going straight to poo poo after a game or two, they're fun games

Black Flag is legit top 10 game for me and the France AssCreed is very good too (tbf I played it 1 year after it released so it was all patched up)

Everytime I've tried one of them it's like 4-5 hours of teaching you how to play the game (even though they're all similar) and setting up a plot I don't care about so I stop. I think I'd enjoy them a lot more if they didn't shoehorn in so many cutscenes and "follow this NPC while we set up more plot with exposition" segments. I've tried 2 and Black Flag.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 7, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

[quote="“RobotDogPolice”" post="“477147716”"]
Everytime I’ve tried one of them it’s like 4-5 hours of teaching you how to play the game (even though they’re all similar) and setting up a plot I don’t care about so I stop. I think I’d enjoy them a lot more if they didn’t shoehorn in so many cutscenes and “follow this NPC while we set up more plot with exposition” segments. I’ve tried 2 and Black Flag.
[/quote]

Yeah Black Flag is terrible in the beginning. It gets better a few hours in after you're done with the intro section, but you're right it has a bad intro.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
Super Meat Boy is loving terrible and it's a real shame that so many indie platformers borrow from it's design choices.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Black Flag is the only one I ever liked. And only because I ignored all the AssCreed stuff and pretended to just be a pirate. I always said I'd come back if they ever made a legit pirate game. So here's hoping the new stand alone pirate game is just as good.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The pirate stuff in Black Flag was v boring.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

AutumnDDP posted:

Super Meat Boy is loving terrible and it's a real shame that so many indie platformers borrow from it's design choices.

Agreed. If you're old you remember a thing called SIMON, which was a quick time game before Nintendo. Super meat boy is a qte disgused as a game.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Only legitimate pirate gameplay is Monkey Island rhyming games.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Literally A Person posted:

Bull, what about Sid Meyer's Pirates?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bulletstorm was fun and its insanely dumb juvenile humor was kinda charming in a way

also Serrano was a pretty great and very hate-able villain

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gothic 2 was better than Morrowind

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Hotline Miami 2 is actually really good as long as you use Cheat Engine to make yourself invincible and blow through the entire game in a hour and a half in a blur of awesome music and extreme violence. Seriously try it.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
None of the 3D Mario games are good. They should have stayed 2D. Mario 64 was a mistake not an innovation.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Literally A Person posted:

I think Monkey Island must be one of those nostalgia things, like Transformers and He-Man. In the way that, if you weren't there the first time around, it just isn't gonna be that great.

I mean, it was ok. But people talked it up to me like it was gonna be the next side-splitting comedy game to play. And yeah, I laughed a few times. But I mostly chuckled here and there. At the end I felt my time and money would have been better spent watching cartoons on Netflix.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Good soup! posted:

Hell yeah

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Irradiation posted:

I thought RE7 got real old real fast. :shrug:

It starts strong and then starts going downhill at an increasing pace, the cave and the ship are absolutely mind numbing

They should've at least spent more than 5 minutes designing more monsters, instead of filling the whole game with boring black blobs which have zero personality

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

A Link to the Past isn't even in the top 3 of Zelda games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Good soup! posted:

i cannot verify if this is true because for all the poo poo Bethesda gets for making buggy pieces of crap I have legal cd-roms of gothic 2 and 3 that seem to install okay but don't accept any KB or mouse input at all when the game loads, great experience 10/10, would stare at a wall again

Darkoni posted:

I think the Mega Man Battle Network series are the best Mega Man games. Excepting the first and fourth game.
Mega Man Zero is the second best.

lol mmbn4 is so funny, they finally went through all the effort of redrawing all the sprites and then bolted it all onto an absolutely garbage game translated by the worlds dumbest intern and then asked you to play through it three times

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
[quote="“food court bailiff”" post="“477173433”"]
they finally went through all the effort of redrawing all the sprites and then bolted it all onto an absolutely garbage game translated by the worlds dumbest intern and then asked you to play through it three times
[/quote]

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT NEIR:AUTOMATA, AMIRITE?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

a new study bible! posted:

A Link to the Past isn't even in the top 3 of Zelda games.

Dem's fightin words

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Dem's fightin words

ALttP is mediocre, and people only love it because they were 8 when they played it. BotW, WW, and OoT are easily better. MM too if you count the spinoffs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

ALttP is mediocre, and people only love it because they were 8 when they played it. BotW, WW, and OoT are easily better. MM too if you count the spinoffs.

I played LttP for the first time in my twenties and it was miles better than OoT, a game that I played when I was ten that has aged like foetid dumpster water

BotW and WW are better yeah but LttP is at least tied for third with Link's Awakening

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

food court bailiff posted:

I played LttP for the first time in my twenties and it was miles better than OoT, a game that I played when I was ten that has aged like foetid dumpster water

BotW and WW are better yeah but LttP is at least tied for third with Link's Awakening

Yea I never understood the OOT love, not saying its bad but its nowhere near the best zelda game

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Careful Drums posted:

yes it does? it has like three or four of them

i mean yeah you can keep mucking around in the game after the ending as long as you want, but there is definitely an ending.

here's an apparently unpopular video game opinion: Fallout 4 is an awesome, rad, cool, good and sweet game that I greatly enjoyed playing earlier this year

That's a hell of a principled stand. Not many people would be prepared to admit that they enjoyed the third best selling video game of 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

not saying its bad but its nowhere near the best zelda game

i'll say it then: OoT is bad.

the gameplay and level design is very mediocre for the most part and it's all presented with absolutely garbage muddy textures and insanely repetitive music loops. like, presentation isn't everything, but i really feel like in OoT's case it genuinely hurts the experience, especially when you (tw: console wars) compare it to its contemporaries on the PSone that were finally starting to utilize the massive space of CD-ROMs

even the updated 3ds version with a bunch of mildly updated graphics and QoL improvements is just...not that good, and that's literally in comparison to other handheld games at that point