Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Night10194 posted:

God I love the lovely idiot princes and princesses you can recruit early.

Mine is a fat slob of an elf princess who can barely be pulled away from feasts long enough to murder dudes and it owns.

My first one was a wastrel who was described as perfectly willing to shoot into his own men Longshanks-style. He got sunk by a Bretonnian fleet.

The second was a dullard so I imagined he was sent off to save everyone's sanity. Again, Bretonnianed. Thankfully, their bloodlust was so overwhelming that they diverted a whole army to kill him, meaning the other Bretonnian faction invaded alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MadJackMcJack posted:

My first one was a wastrel who was described as perfectly willing to shoot into his own men Longshanks-style. He got sunk by a Bretonnian fleet.

The second was a dullard so I imagined he was sent off to save everyone's sanity. Again, Bretonnianed.

Your dudes really shouldn't have said all that stuff about their wine.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I played Teclis and Mazdamundi before Tyrion, so I was taken completely off guard by the pirate and crusader guys switching roles from distant neutrals I trade doodads with to being bloodthirsty berserkers constantly ravaging southwestern Ulthuan.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

A small section of the rogue armies have some downright brokenly strong army recruitment, but a lot of them are just regular t1 troops of a single faction with no gimmick attached.

You really don't want to deal with Vashnaar's conquest and it's chosen and hellcannons backed by darkelf missiles and dragons

Most unique list has to go to Morrslieb's Howlers with a mix of chaos/skaven/empire/bretonnian/greenskin units.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

Your dudes really shouldn't have said all that stuff about their wine.

All we said was that Bretonnian vinegar is the best in the world and we don't understand why they insist on calling it wine.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 8, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I think the coding for their spawn locations is similar to Savage Greenskin hordes and Beastmen warherds in that they'll generally spawn in a neighboring province to your empire's furthest borders, and this may include coastal zones in the later rituals. Unfortunately, Rogue Armies seem to be exempt to this rule, and if you're unlucky you might face one with a particularly insane roster; one I encountered as Lizardmen was a combined VC/Bretonnian cavalry roster.
Intervention armies spawn about 30 feet away from Naggarond and within immediate attacking distance of Nar Kaelra as Malekith. Which is fine once you know about it and garrison the absolute gently caress out of both cities, but its still a pain.

e: Vashnaar's Conquest managed to snag about three settlements from Mazdamundi and is chilling in an alliance with the Vampire Coast dudes just loving up invaders. The roaming armies are pretty cool.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 8, 2017

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
okay i finished the skaven campaign.

spoilery impressions
man, the fuckin diplomacy malus stuff is cruel, and now it applies to every faction. it actually kind of gets in the way of post-game map painting, since now my trade income is going to go to total poo poo and all that

scribe rat is a pure and beautiful soul and i will ruthlessly diss and admonish any naysayers

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I think I'm going to give the "Shades Meta" a go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/7516my/guide_to_shades_meta/

Maybe I'll be able to crack Ulthuan earlier this time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I really did not think before launch that either elf armies would be this shooty

shooty yah, but they are just silly

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Intervention armies spawn about 30 feet away from Naggarond and within immediate attacking distance of Nar Kaelra as Malekith. Which is fine once you know about it and garrison the absolute gently caress out of both cities, but its still a pain.

e: Vashnaar's Conquest managed to snag about three settlements from Mazdamundi and is chilling in an alliance with the Vampire Coast dudes just loving up invaders. The roaming armies are pretty cool.

Ah poo poo I misread the post like an idiot. Intervention armies do spawn right on top of your capital; it's the Chaos attackers that spawn like savage hordes and warherds.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

The Old Ones are loving testing my patience...

winegums fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 8, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I am happy to report that Warlock Engineer bonuses still stack. Needless to say, this makes Warp Lightning Cannons a complete nightmare to fight and slinger Runners super loving annoying to anything with poor armor and infantry speed.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I kind of get the impression that the High Elf Campaign incentivizes building up rather than out based on all of the slots in the starting settlement, sort of like the wood elves form TW 1. Am I generally correct there? It seems like all of the other Dragon Princes are backstabbing turds that make the Elector Counts seem like loyal friends, so the best bet is trade with the ones you can and build tall so you can beat back invasions from the rest.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

NeurosisHead posted:

I kind of get the impression that the High Elf Campaign incentivizes building up rather than out based on all of the slots in the starting settlement, sort of like the wood elves form TW 1. Am I generally correct there? It seems like all of the other Dragon Princes are backstabbing turds that make the Elector Counts seem like loyal friends, so the best bet is trade with the ones you can and build tall so you can beat back invasions from the rest.

I used influence to make the other elf kingdoms like me and after securing my starting province and Vaul's Anvil I took Tyrion's army over the sea to Naggarond and conquered Dark Elves for the rest of the campaign, while other lords held it down at home and fought Norscans and gradually guarded the expanding confederated territory. After the first 30 turns or so I was friends with all the high elves.

Cor Geal
Aug 2, 2012
Is there a list of the best outcomes for the treasure hunting in ruins available? Quickloading to check each of them has gotten pretty old.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

Third World Reggin posted:

I really did not think before launch that either elf armies would be this shooty

shooty yah, but they are just silly

I really love globadiers and warpfire throwers most of the skaven units, but unless you're mostly fighting lizards, you really need the artillery/weaponteam slots to be catapults and cannons to head off the elf bullshit. I believe plague monks have similar problems, but plague monks can replace clanrats as a more expensive, specialized frontline, whereas you're largely choosing either/or on weapon teams and artillery. Plague monks better be hiding in a forest if you're up against elves or they're gonna die in droves to the arrow clouds.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is there a reason my globadiers never fire at will? I always have to direct them to specifically fire fire at will is set to 'on'

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

Every main faction (Tyrion, Emo Canadian, Frogman, Queek) capital is 10 slots and the other faction's are 8 slots now. Helves in particular can use influence to increase how much other factions like either you or other factions, so you can take advantage of that for easy expansion.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

John Charity Spring posted:

I used influence to make the other elf kingdoms like me and after securing my starting province and Vaul's Anvil I took Tyrion's army over the sea to Naggarond and conquered Dark Elves for the rest of the campaign, while other lords held it down at home and fought Norscans and gradually guarded the expanding confederated territory. After the first 30 turns or so I was friends with all the high elves.

I should pay better attention to new mechanics. I noticed that the other Dragon Princes almost all have the "Aversion" trait for Tyrion. Is that normal, or did I have some lovely luck to start out?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mahasamatman posted:

I really love globadiers and warpfire throwers most of the skaven units, but unless you're mostly fighting lizards, you really need the artillery/weaponteam slots to be catapults and cannons to head off the elf bullshit. I believe plague monks have similar problems, but plague monks can replace clanrats as a more expensive, specialized frontline, whereas you're largely choosing either/or on weapon teams and artillery. Plague monks better be hiding in a forest if you're up against elves or they're gonna die in droves to the arrow clouds.

It's a very good thing that Warp Lightning Cannons are pretty much an anti-everything artillery piece. Tabletop had their projectiles exploding like a Hellcannon shot, but I think the "explosion at every model the projectile hits until it fades" style is a good medium ground, if not particularly light on computer hardware.

Honestly still tempted to see if they can carry anti-large duties entirely on their own with 6 units, but I suppose I should allow for some diversity and flexibility...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

I should pay better attention to new mechanics. I noticed that the other Dragon Princes almost all have the "Aversion" trait for Tyrion. Is that normal, or did I have some lovely luck to start out?

tyrion is loving insane and is yelling at high elf lords like high elves yell at peasants

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Third World Reggin posted:

tyrion is loving insane and is yelling at high elf lords like high elves yell at peasants

What High Elf would sully their good voice by wasting it on a peasant? Get a servant to do that for you for Isha's sake.

On that note, I like how all the High Elves have these small buildings near farmed land that seems to imply that their farmers live in white marble duplexes that are encrusted in gold.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Decus posted:

Every main faction (Tyrion, Emo Canadian, Frogman, Queek) capital is 10 slots and the other faction's are 8 slots now. Helves in particular can use influence to increase how much other factions like either you or other factions, so you can take advantage of that for easy expansion.

Queek's capital isn't 10 slots, it's 8. I don't think the Skaven have a 10-slot region of their own on the map - Khemri is 10 slot for future Tomb Kings but I presume Skavenblight will be the 10-slot Skaven region in the combined map.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Game feels kind of incomplete coming from Warhammer 1 with all its starts and factions and with how bad the vortex ended up being. It'll be a completely different animal with the combined map hopefully

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, we have a new meme army build. Let the Mad Max jokes begin. :perfect:

John Charity Spring posted:

Queek's capital isn't 10 slots, it's 8. I don't think the Skaven have a 10-slot region of their own on the map - Khemri is 10 slot for future Tomb Kings but I presume Skavenblight will be the 10-slot Skaven region in the combined map.

Itza, in the middle of Lustria, is also 10-slot despite being currently owned by a minor Lizardmen faction.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

Game feels kind of incomplete coming from Warhammer 1 with all its starts and factions and with how bad the vortex ended up being. It'll be a completely different animal with the combined map hopefully

I feel the same way. It's hard to make a sequel for a game that they pretty much tripled in size with DLC over time.

Once the vortex B.S. is gone and I can sail my orcs across the sea to Da' Promised Land as Wurrzag everything will be ok.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I take it that they'll just reintroduce the races in 1 as DLC for 2 and make you pay for it all over again?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
No, that's not the plan at all. If you own both games, you'll get the combined campaign map for free within "a couple of weeks"

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

I take it that they'll just reintroduce the races in 1 as DLC for 2 and make you pay for it all over again?

...no? You need to own the first game to unlock the Mortal Empire combined campaign, though.

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 8, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
there's no way to use food to upgrade existing settlements, right? Just ones you conquer?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

there's no way to use food to upgrade existing settlements, right? Just ones you conquer?

Think so. Though the growth and income bonus from having high food stores helps growing already owned towns faster.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Raiding your own lands is such an awesome way to solve skaven food issues. Money, food and experience without even leaving the comfort of your own province.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Why even bother when you can just sit 1cm across the border and get the same but more.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there a graceful (or profitable) way to just abandon a province? I've taken somewhere with a "Local populace" corruption modifier - it's costing me a heck of a lot of investment to keep public order up with high corruption, and it's definitely hindering me. What options do I have beyond dialing back 50 turns to before that particular war?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Fellblade posted:

Why even bother when you can just sit 1cm across the border and get the same but more.

You aren't always bordered by enemies or people you want to piss off.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Plavski posted:

You aren't always bordered by enemies or people you want to piss off.

you are always bordered by enemies

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Deformed Church posted:

Is there a graceful (or profitable) way to just abandon a province? I've taken somewhere with a "Local populace" corruption modifier - it's costing me a heck of a lot of investment to keep public order up with high corruption, and it's definitely hindering me. What options do I have beyond dialing back 50 turns to before that particular war?

You can deal with corruption with certain buildings, but if it's not worth it then just demolish all the buildings and let rebels raze it

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

Just stop keeping public order up

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Plavski posted:

Raiding your own lands is such an awesome way to solve skaven food issues. Money, food and experience without even leaving the comfort of your own province.

You can get to the point that you trigger a rebellion every turn, crush it and do it again. Taking the +2 food option post battle really adds up when you can smash lots of tiny armies in quick succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i kind of like the idea SFO has with food where it gives a local/global recruit bonus for an abundance, +1 at the first level and +2 at the 2nd, recruiting 5 rats in one turn is dope