Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Do save states and rewind work with ROMs you dump in yourself? And do I need to keep the number of games at 30 or is there extra room for a lot more games as is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Do save states and rewind work with ROMs you dump in yourself? And do I need to keep the number of games at 30 or is there extra room for a lot more games as is?

I'm up to 52 games and Hakchi reports over 200MB free on the storage chip. Other people in this thread have put in 100+ ROMs. You're fine.

Also ymmv when it comes to savestates and rewind for non-official ROMs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

techknight posted:

Oh wait, I see what I hosed up - you have to drag and drop the retroarch_with_cores.zip file onto the hakchi window to install it, rather than extracting to what appears to be the right folder.

Ok, doing all that, then adding the --retroarch argument to the command-line did not fix Terranigma, but it did make Illusion of Gaia work, (at least getting past the title screen):

All right, this is what I've settled on for my library.. I ditched Contra, DKC, FF3, Kirbys, SGnG, SMW, and Yoshi's Island from the stock list and added these:

Happy to take suggestions!

I don't understand how you are ditching individual games from the stock list, cause I only see "21 original games" as an option and it looks like you have it checked anyway. How do you remove individual ones? Is that screenshot just from before you unchecked it, and you have to add the one you want individually, or what?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
If anyone manages to get Seiken Densetsu 3 working on the internal Nintendo emulator, let us know. Someone on reddit said there was a patch floating around but I couldn't find it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't understand how you are ditching individual games from the stock list, cause I only see "21 original games" as an option and it looks like you have it checked anyway. How do you remove individual ones? Is that screenshot just from before you unchecked it, and you have to add the one you want individually, or what?

If you click on the 21 original games entry, the right panel becomes a list of those 21 games. You can then hide the ones you don't want to see.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm more concerned that he chose to remove the kirby games

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lovely Wizard posted:

It's a good thing this turned out to be so moddable, though it's still a pretty good selection of games for $80 + two NON-COUNTERFEIT poo poo official reproduction snes controllers (despite them not using Super Street Fighter 2, not including DKC2 or DKC3, and not wanting to give away all-stars + world instead of just world).

It's more about variety than series (ie; a few popular examples of each genre, rather than all the DKC's, all the MMX's, etc), and the lack of All-Stars+World is probably because Super Mario 1/2/3 are on the NES Mini (though yes, they should've definitely used it).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

so in my area, the scalpers trying to sell their snes classics have lowered prices down to 150 now and these are for ones that have been on craigslist for a while and started at 250-300. i dunno if it's that way everywhere but it is sure making me laugh cause fuuuuuuuuuuuck those assholes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

financially racist posted:

so in my area, the scalpers trying to sell their snes classics have lowered prices down to 150 now and these are for ones that have been on craigslist for a while and started at 250-300. i dunno if it's that way everywhere but it is sure making me laugh cause fuuuuuuuuuuuck those assholes

They're down to £120 in my area from £140. Not a huge drop but they're dropping.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What's gonna be interesting is the next batch of NES Classics; Will they have the old motherboard form-factor, or the revised one in the SNES Mini?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Argue posted:

Yes. Just don't make a ton of save states, as they eat up memory fast. Also the in-game demo for the SNES Classic this time will load up a video based on your save states this time when it idle, but notice it will even play games you added. Was surprised when I left it idle for a minute and Gemfire started playing on it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Old, but this link is wonky for me, is it broken?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

If anyone manages to get Seiken Densetsu 3 working on the internal Nintendo emulator, let us know. Someone on reddit said there was a patch floating around but I couldn't find it.

It works (for the five minutes I've played.) The hi-rez mode menus are just displayed at the standard resolution instead, so text is a little smudged down.

No idea how impactful it is in the long run. The dialogue boxes I saw in the regular gameplay were normal, but I didn't do a lot.

e: This is the English fan translation.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 8, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So everything I wanted runs great except:
Rockman and Forte
Cannon Fodder

Rockman and Forte crashes on title screen, I did do an English translation patch beforehand so that may have been the issue. Has anyone got this running?

Cannon Fodder has really bad sound issues and also the top portion is cut off. I'm absolutely sure that's because this is a PAL game and those have a weird aspect ratio and probably timing issues with sound cause it was originally 50hz. Is there an NTSC version of this game, or has anyone patched it to be NTSC?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Rockman and Forte crashes on title screen, I did do an English translation patch beforehand so that may have been the issue. Has anyone got this running?

I got it going fine yesterday on the pre-release version. Haven't tried it on the latest.
It was already patched for English, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Gunslinger posted:

I think I did -- when in the game does it typically fail? I played through the first few minutes to test it.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I keep getting a C7 error when I try to run Super Street Fighter II. It's the only one. I installed retroarch but it doesn't seem to use that when it starts up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Teenage Fansub posted:

I couldn't find a good mock NA box art for Super Back To The Future II, so I'm putting this out there for the world to use:

You're welcome.

I just want to say that I appreciate the hell out of this. I think the only thing that could beat it would be to include Needles.

Also, stroke or drop shadow around the text, for readability.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

mints posted:

I keep getting a C7 error when I try to run Super Street Fighter II. It's the only one. I installed retroarch but it doesn't seem to use that when it starts up.

Sounds like you didn't implement retroarch correctly. The easiest way to be sure it's added to hakchi is to open hakchi and just drag and drop the retroarch zip file into the window. Make sure you add a "--retroarch" flag (two hyphens) to the end of the game's command line.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There is apparently a guy who did a bunch of ntsc games but Cannon Fodder wasn't among them, so off it goes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has there ever been an English patch made for super famicom wars? Please tell me there is.

I need this in my life

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 8, 2017

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

enojy posted:

Sounds like you didn't implement retroarch correctly. The easiest way to be sure it's added to hakchi is to open hakchi and just drag and drop the retroarch zip file into the window. Make sure you add a "--retroarch" flag (two hyphens) to the end of the game's command line.

I might have missed it, was Super confirmed to work when retroarch is used?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ludicrous Speed posted:

Had a weird notice on my Amazon preorder telling me I needed to agree to a delay with a delivery date of "by November 6th" or they would cancel my order automatically. I agreed to it, but the order still looks the same on my order list with no estimated delivery. Pointless.

Huh, I saw someone else on Twitter say this, but I haven't seen it with mine. Maybe they're starting to actually set aside some units for pre-orders rather than putting them up on the Treasure Truck.

Did you get an email about it, or did you just look at your order on the website and saw the notice?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Phyresis posted:

I might have missed it, was Super confirmed to work when retroarch is used?

Yup! It worked for me.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

enojy posted:

I forgot to add the flag. Thanks! I think everything had been documented by the time I did my Famicom Classic, games that needed retroarch added the tag on their own.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

its just an emulation overclock right? or will my snezz set on fire

edit: fx2, thats what Doom used too, right? so it should work for that and (presumably starfox 2)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
this is a compatibility list that is constantly getting updated, if its not been posted before: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HKfz4ZQBy6Ip5awvh8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/edit#gid=2014317767 time to get all this rom patches applied and my classic hacked.

gonna try and fit all 134 games on there but i have a question, anyone know what happens to the sorting if using folders? i want to play through most thing in release order but it might be annoying if everything is split across folders.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Whichever sort method you have on applies across all folders

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm more concerned that he chose to remove the kirby games

And Contra 3, and FF6, and Yoshi's Island

The dude's a maniac

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vikar Jerome posted:

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

its just an emulation overclock right? or will my snezz set on fire

edit: fx2, thats what Doom used too, right? so it should work for that and (presumably starfox 2)

FX1 games:

Dirt Racer
Dirt Trax FX
Star Fox
Stunt Race FX
Vortex

FX2 games:

Doom
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Winter Gold
Star Fox 2

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The idea of having a version of Stunt Race FX with a decent frame rate is making me want to spend the time later this week.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

this is a compatibility list that is constantly getting updated, if its not been posted before: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HKfz4ZQBy6Ip5awvh8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/edit#gid=2014317767 time to get all this rom patches applied and my classic hacked.

gonna try and fit all 134 games on there but i have a question, anyone know what happens to the sorting if using folders? i want to play through most thing in release order but it might be annoying if everything is split across folders.

I take it red means it doesn't work? I saw that Goof Troop doesn't work, but then tried it and it got it to work no problem?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can someone recommend a good retroarch tutorial? Do you have to do anything on the mini other than click the game in the menu to make the games run? Is it the same for games of other systems?

e: I also see people mentioning rom hacking in various places. I thought you could just get the roms already hacked. Do you need to get an original rom and then hack it yourself? Confusing.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 8, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I take it red means it doesn't work? I saw that Goof Troop doesn't work, but then tried it and it got it to work no problem?

seems alot of people reporting errors are with bad rom dumps or pal versions of poo poo.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So, is there a reliable guide for how to mod the SNES classic?
I don't have a whole lot I want to add, mostly just JRPGs I don't already have on my Vita or 3DS - Terranigma, Secret of Evermore, Seiken Densetsu 3, Breath of Fire 1&2, Robotrek...

Actually, is it worth it just to add 6 or 7 games? Or should I look for some more titles? It's been forever since I've been rom hunting. Like, Plasticman's site was still up the last time I was serious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Download the app and follow the instructions. I'm a computer idiot but they made it all really clear.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Thanks goon who earlier posted about installing the hyperarch module correctly. Now all my games work that didn't with the native emulator. I wish the RA scanline filter was better looks kinda poo poo but oh well.

I added about 70 games and hope that's enough for one save state each. Now I'm done with this thing and it can collect dust like it's supposed to!

Got most of my boxes from here https://emumovies.com/files/file/1600-snes-2d-box-pack-hq/?_fromLogin=1

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

the_steve posted:

So, is there a reliable guide for how to mod the SNES classic?
I don't have a whole lot I want to add, mostly just JRPGs I don't already have on my Vita or 3DS - Terranigma, Secret of Evermore, Seiken Densetsu 3, Breath of Fire 1&2, Robotrek...

Actually, is it worth it just to add 6 or 7 games? Or should I look for some more titles? It's been forever since I've been rom hunting. Like, Plasticman's site was still up the last time I was serious.

Hakchi is very easy. Pretty much foolproof as long as you can follow the directions in front of you and have just a little bit of thinking skills.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat it my Rockman and Forte would crash on title screen so I ended up looking at a 1.9 gb archive just for this one game, and it's in loving bin format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Al Borland Corp. posted:

drat it my Rockman and Forte would crash on title screen so I ended up looking at a 1.9 gb archive just for this one game, and it's in loving bin format.

Weird, I have the Japanese version on my Classic and it works fine. I figured the story wasn't that important in a MegaMan game, so I didn't bother with translations.

I just went through that hullabaloo with FFV's GBA translation but the rom I patched was a hacked version where you started at level 99. I tried some other versions I found but none of them booted in the emulator. I ended up finding an already patched version of the RPGe translation and calling it good.