Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

I thought for sure there was one in one of the towns that gets sucked into the void.
not a one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

bizarre deformity posted:

Edit: the fact that bribe can miss is the dumbest thing ever

The game remembers how much gil you've given to a monster in a fight, and the chance of success is based off of the total amount. You can retry the success rate by giving them 1 gil at a time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

maou shoujo posted:

The game remembers how much gil you've given to a monster in a fight, and the chance of success is based off of the total amount. You can retry the success rate by giving them 1 gil at a time.

Goddamn it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

not a one.

Isn't one of the pianos in a hidden room that you can only get to by walking through walls that aren't marked?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Thief passive marks them,but he meant permanently missable

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

They are missable in the sense that you can walk past them and beat the game without them. But even after beating the game, you can still track every one down and get the reward for playing them.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Thief passive marks them,but he meant permanently missable

Ah OK that's what I was thinking of. Thanks. I haven't played it in a couple years.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Okay I figured it out.

When you have 9999 hp, you get revived with 4999 which is less than half so you are at critical HP, which should trigger auto-potion. However, it doesn't upon being revived. But it is taking X-potions out of my inventory anyway as though my character had used one. But they don't use it! This is a pretty crazy glitch I can't believe nobody has heard of it before!

Edit: this is FFX for those who don't know

Oh I googled it and apparently it is a well-known glitch, well then.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Been playing FF9 on PS4 the last couple of weeks in an effort to get The Ones I haven't Played off my list. (9, 12 and tactics) I remember seeing my babysitter play through nearly the entire thing when i was like 9 or 10 and outside of existential black mages I had kind of forgotten everything about it. It's really good and I'm having a blast, especially with the fast forward which makes chovobo hot and cold a literal joke.

Just need to get 30 more frogs and I can beat the game. High point of the game so far, and honestly one of the best moments in any FF I've played is the You're Not Alone! segment at the end of disk 3.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I finished the stupid great crystal and now I'm farming up a couple Ribbons from trial mode and then I'm going to finally finish this game (without platinum because lol) and move on to something else. Still trying to figure out if I want to replay FFT WotL or FF13. I picked up FF9 which I never played but I'm not in the mood for that one right now. I want some nostalgia up in this piece.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Elephant Ambush posted:

I finished the stupid great crystal and now I'm farming up a couple Ribbons from trial mode and then I'm going to finally finish this game (without platinum because lol) and move on to something else. Still trying to figure out if I want to replay FFT WotL or FF13. I picked up FF9 which I never played but I'm not in the mood for that one right now. I want some nostalgia up in this piece.

If you're looking for nostalgia, FF9 is wonderful. It's a love letter to the first eight games in the series, particularly the NES-SNES era.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So do I need to actually beat Final Fantasy XV before I can bitch about the problems I have with it, or is it cool if I just go for it?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Go for it. The biggest problems are probably with the last half of the game so you'll want to save some of that bitching for it. (I still love the game)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

el oso posted:

Go for it. The biggest problems are probably with the last half of the game so you'll want to save some of that bitching for it. (I still love the game)

I'm about ten hours in, level 20, up to chapter 3 and my main gripe with the game is that there is a huge disconnect between the narrative and what the party is doing. Never mind that unless you watched a movie and an anime or something you have no idea who these characters are and thus far they haven't really been developed other than "this dude's the mentor, this dude's the friend and this dude's the gym teacher," nothing you do outside of story quests ties into it at all. They did not integrate the open world into the story at all. In previous games the world would be big, but everything the party did for the most part was a means to an end to deal with their main quest. In this game, you find out your dad dies and then go play pinball, or go dig around for some car wax and then maybe three weeks later, after doing countless, random tasks for loving Denny's cooks, you go meet people you've never seen before as a player and it's supposed to be a big important thing.

Except, you meet those characters and all you do is wander around a city looking at the shops. It's just. Why would I want to keep playing this poo poo? The meat is in the side content, but it contributes absolutely nothing to anything I should be doing. That, and the leveling system is trash because before your characters can even enjoy the fact that they're leveling up, you need to spend way more AP than you can earn without grinding to have the level ups contribute to stats.

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the fact that if you want to go to a place, you get in your car and then set the controller down so you can go do something else for 5 minutes, is kind of the biggest/most hilarious problem i have with the game in my ~10 hours of playing it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The problem with sidequests is that most of them involve a single line of dialogue and nothing else.

The combat is fun but it takes so long to get anywhere

Occasionally it’s fun to look at the scenery and chill but ehhh

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 9, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

WaltherFeng posted:

The problem with sidequests is that most of them involve a single line of dialogue and nothing else.

The combat is fun but it takes so long to get anywhere

Occasionally it’s fun to look at the scenery and chill but ehhh

It's pretty bad. Like why would I play this over another game with a nonsense narrative like Nioh? I wouldn't.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I like FFXV. It's chill.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
"The world is going to poo poo, but here you are doing side quests" has been a thing in RPGs in general (and FF in particular) for a while. My bigger issue with side quests in XV is that the character animations looked really weird at times and you had that forced delay after turning in missions. If you hate the game at chapter 3, cut your losses and move on. The first half of it is the most narratively cogent part, and it's more of the same with really poor plot exposition after, like, chapter 10.

Really hope Square gets it together for FFXVI. Can they borrow FFXIV folks to help with the writing?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm a big FF13 fan, but if you haven't played 9 you really should give it a try. Especially if you want a nostalgia piece.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Meridian posted:

So do I need to actually beat Final Fantasy XV before I can bitch about the problems I have with it, or is it cool if I just go for it?

FFXV is one giant downhill ride so no matter where you're at it's a good place to stop cause it's only gonna get worse.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

FFXV is one giant downhill ride so no matter where you're at it's a good place to stop cause it's only gonna get worse.

The ending is really solid though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Been playing FF9 on PS4 the last couple of weeks in an effort to get The Ones I haven't Played off my list. (9, 12 and tactics) I remember seeing my babysitter play through nearly the entire thing when i was like 9 or 10 and outside of existential black mages I had kind of forgotten everything about it. It's really good and I'm having a blast, especially with the fast forward which makes chovobo hot and cold a literal joke.

Just need to get 30 more frogs and I can beat the game. High point of the game so far, and honestly one of the best moments in any FF I've played is the You're Not Alone! segment at the end of disk 3.

That poo poo honestly stands out as a top tier moment in general and it's hella dumb that people rag on it because Zidane literally has his soul sucked out and goes "emo" for like five minutes before just saying nope.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

That poo poo honestly stands out as a top tier moment in general and it's hella dumb that people rag on it because Zidane literally has his soul sucked out and goes "emo" for like five minutes before just saying nope.

People rag on it? It is my favorite scene in the game, and not just for the music.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, uh, I dunno where you read people hate that moment, because just about everyone ever seems to agree that it's one of the games many high points (if not the highest).

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The highest point is "Oooh, soft."

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ninjewtsu posted:

the fact that if you want to go to a place, you get in your car and then set the controller down so you can go do something else for 5 minutes, is kind of the biggest/most hilarious problem i have with the game in my ~10 hours of playing it

You get the ability to quick jump to places you've already been pretty early on. Also you get to listen to your favorite music from previous games while driving which makes it tolerable

Edit: the high point of FFIX is the tinkle scene

Sorry meant to say nine not ten

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 9, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can also just not do the side content if that disconnect is bothering you so much, they give you enough XP by mainlining the story that you shouldn't have much problem finishing it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Meridian posted:

It's pretty bad. Like why would I play this over another game with a nonsense narrative like Nioh? I wouldn't.

The best part of Nioh story is Googling the historic stuff. Almost everything you do in the story is part of a bigger picture in Japanese history

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 9, 2017

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Edit: the high point of FFX is the tinkle scene

The high point of FFX is actually learning that Jecht got drunk and punched a shoopuf.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

The high point of FFX is actually learning that Jecht got drunk and punched a shoopuf.

I meant FFIX but yeah he stabbed it actually, hence its giant scar

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I cheer and vote for anyone willing to punch Tidus

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

I cheer and vote for anyone willing to punch Tidus

Imagine a game that is nothing but Lightning punching various FF characters.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

Imagine a game that is nothing but Lightning punching various FF characters.

Dissidia 012 allows you to live your fantasies

Edit: I'm playing FFX-2 HD and why is Yuna talking in Japanese at the start of battles?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Morby posted:

"The world is going to poo poo, but here you are doing side quests" has been a thing in RPGs in general (and FF in particular) for a while. My bigger issue with side quests in XV is that the character animations looked really weird at times and you had that forced delay after turning in missions. If you hate the game at chapter 3, cut your losses and move on. The first half of it is the most narratively cogent part, and it's more of the same with really poor plot exposition after, like, chapter 10.

Really hope Square gets it together for FFXVI. Can they borrow FFXIV folks to help with the writing?

People from the FFXIV team (Business Division #5) are likely working on FFXVI or at least an online service game. There were notable staff absences from the last expansion. They're also hiring for positions that would be redundant with FFXIV but would make sense if a new team was working on FFXVI in parallel.

Tabata's team is working on FFXV's post launch content and an announced new IP. Having a multiplayer team work on a new FF game would make sense with where the AAA RPG genre is heading. Most of the biggest hits in the genre are multiplayer service games like Destiny, The Division, and Diablo 3. Bioware is making a similar style of game with Anthem. Other RPG developers like Bethesda and CD Projekt Red are hiring multiplayer/online staff for their next games.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

You get the ability to quick jump to places you've already been pretty early on. Also you get to listen to your favorite music from previous games while driving which makes it tolerable.

Activate the "earn AP for riding in the car" node and you're practically mining bitcoins!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dissidia 012 allows you to live your fantasies

Edit: I'm playing FFX-2 HD and why is Yuna talking in Japanese at the start of battles?

Are you using the Festivalist dresssphere?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Sunning posted:

People from the FFXIV team (Business Division #5) are likely working on FFXVI or at least an online service game. There were notable staff absences from the last expansion. They're also hiring for positions that would be redundant with FFXIV but would make sense if a new team was working on FFXVI in parallel.

Tabata's team is working on FFXV's post launch content and an announced new IP. Having a multiplayer team work on a new FF game would make sense with where the AAA RPG genre is heading. Most of the biggest hits in the genre are multiplayer service games like Destiny, The Division, and Diablo 3. Bioware is making a similar style of game with Anthem. Other RPG developers like Bethesda and CD Projekt Red are hiring multiplayer/online staff for their next games.

I'm excited to see what they come up with. XV was a fun experience for me overall, and the ending really hit its beats for me, but the plot was just straight up nonsensical in chapters 12 and 13. I haven't played the most recent fix to it, though.

XIV, in contrast, I think has an extremely good plot. I didn't see the ending of ARR coming, though I had a gut feeling that shenanigans were afoot. HW was a satisfying ending, but not as impactful, and I'm about two dungeons away from finishing SB so I can't comment on its ending yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really hope XVI isn't another freaking MMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

Are you using the Festivalist dresssphere?

I figured that might be it

Edit: I think she was still doing it as White Mage

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 9, 2017