Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kenlon posted:

I've been playing the Special Edition with a decently sized modlist (63 installed at the moment) and it's been surprisingly stable. I suspect I'm going to change that if I install some of the stuff I'm looking at.

At the moment, I've got the EnaiSiaion mods, iNeed, Campfire/Frostfall/Wet and Cold, Hunterborn, Interesting NPCs, and Deadly Combat + Combat Evolved as my "big mods".

I'm considering adding Warzones (because the Civil War is way too boring as it stands), Jobs of Skyrim/The Notice Board (for more sidequests to do), and Thieves Guild For Good Guys to my save. How bad of an idea is this?
Also, has anyone used AFT for SSE? Does it actually work well or should I stay away from it?

stability is one of the big drawcards of sse, it shouldn't be surprising. that, and shadows not needing endless tweaking to not look hideouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I've now sifted through the OP, several off-site modding "guides" and one or two threads over at the Nexus mods forum, and my mind is blown. I figured I'd give the Special Edition a run since I'm now on a brand new $1,000 system for the first time in forever, and planned for quite a bit of mod fuckery before firing up the game, but this is breaking me.

Is there some form of one-stop-shop or guide like the OP, but exclusively for SSE? Like, "this mod manager currently works with SSE, this version of SKSE is recommended, then try out some mods to your hearts content"?

I feel like every single piece in this puzzle to even get mods to run is subject to several compatibility issues. It's like the original Skyrim modding experience, but with both eyes stabbed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If there is a guide like you want for SSE, I don't know of it. I also, being very honest, don't have time to keep the OP updated. I had hoped to move as much of it as possible to an offsite wiki but that never panned out either. I am reasonably sure that many of the mods in the OP have SSE equivalents or can be easily converted. The exception is anything requiring SKSE, because it's not really ready for use in SSE.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

If there is a guide like you want for SSE, I don't know of it. I also, being very honest, don't have time to keep the OP updated. I had hoped to move as much of it as possible to an offsite wiki but that never panned out either. I am reasonably sure that many of the mods in the OP have SSE equivalents or can be easily converted. The exception is anything requiring SKSE, because it's not really ready for use in SSE.

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was nagging about the OP, I appreciate the fuckton of effort you've put in to even set it up.

From my perspective, it looks like my two most promising options are:

1. wait a couple of months for a sort of stable modding environment for SSE

2. either use mods for the original Skyrim, or cherry-pick a few mods that work in SSE without ancillary scripts/mods like you said

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was nagging about the OP, I appreciate the fuckton of effort you've put in to even set it up.

Oh, I didn't think you were. :)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I am. I judge you every day, and find you wanting.

That said, just about everything in the OP has an SSE conversion or equivalent.

My basic Starting-Point formula is: All of EnaiSiaion's mods, All of TrainWiz's mods (except MorrowLoot, I don't like it), and a few of King Dipshit Arthmoor's mods (Namely USSEP, Live Another Life, Cutting Room Floor, Castle Volkihar Rebuilt, and Open Cities.)

I'd also throw Immersive Sounds, Amazing Follower Tweaks, Clockwork, Interesting NPCs, and The Static Mesh Improvement Mod.

Here's my current modlist, if you want a starting point

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 2, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agents are GO! posted:

D-d-dad?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Agents are GO! posted:

My basic Starting-Point formula is: All of EnaiSiaion's mods, All of TrainWiz's mods (except MorrowLoot, I don't like it), and a few of King Dipshit Arthmoor's mods (Namely USSEP, Live Another Life, Cutting Room Floor, Castle Volkihar Rebuilt, and Open Cities.)

I'd also throw Immersive Sounds, Amazing Follower Tweaks, Clockwork, Interesting NPCs, and The Static Mesh Improvement Mod.

Where'd your mosdlist go bub hmmm?
Was there a booby mod in your list you caught and removed hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

show me the skyrim boobies

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
oh good, you're here. My answer to "how to make an SSE modlist" was "make kakermix do it for you," so hey Duzzy Funlop, here's your chance!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

In an assumption that my modding efforts would fail and I'd just revisit the game in a few months, I decided on a last ditch, low effort Hail Mary with Nexus Mod Manager, whichever SKSE alpha version was most readily available, and an all but random selection of mods from the SSE page in the Nexus Mod Forums thing.

Ended up sorting by most downloads/best ratings and legit just breezed through the first three pages, selecting 25 or so mods. A lot of those you listed are in there, probably gonna grab Open Cities, Cutting Room Floor, and some of the others you listed.

Installed them all with the NMM, fired up the game via the skse exe, and...it runs.

Perfectly fine. First attempt. :stare.

And goddamn, this game looks amazing on ultra everything, good heavens.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Duzzy Funlop posted:

And goddamn, this game looks amazing on ultra everything, good heavens.

Everything but grass. I never could get patches of foliage to not turn into a mass of greens with no definition.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Psion posted:

oh good, you're here. My answer to "how to make an SSE modlist" was "make kakermix do it for you," so hey Duzzy Funlop, here's your chance!

Sorry i'm currently at the bottom of a valley that is the sine wave of modding Skyrim. In a couple months I'll gear up to dive in again and have to re-learn everything I had forgotten about since not playing for months. I seriously forget everything the moment I'm not doing it anymore.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

sebmojo posted:

stability is one of the big drawcards of sse, it shouldn't be surprising. that, and shadows not needing endless tweaking to not look hideouts.

Oh, I know, but it's still surprising to me. Also having SkyUI and ImmersiveHud working in the Special Edition has made things much better - now I just need A Matter of Time and a decent favorite management mod and I'll be set for UI.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A Matter of Time is one of those weird mods that you didn't know you needed until you've tried it. It's super-useful to always know what time it is, turns out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kenlon posted:

Oh, I know, but it's still surprising to me. Also having SkyUI and ImmersiveHud working in the Special Edition has made things much better - now I just need A Matter of Time and a decent favorite management mod and I'll be set for UI.

I am a filthy loving animal so I just went to the in game browser and loaded up all the most popular mods and it worked fine. objectively this is a terrible idea, but SSE is stable enough that it worked fine over 70-80 hours of pootling around in fantasy norway.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Where'd your mosdlist go bub hmmm?
Was there a booby mod in your list you caught and removed hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

show me the skyrim boobies

Whoops! Here it is.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Double post, but I feel like I should note that some of the mods in my modlist were coverted for my personal use from Oldrim mods.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is it normal for Imp's Most Complex Needs to just stop working? I have the MCM menu and all the items for checking stats, but activating IMCN Vitality does nothing and the meal menu never pops up when I try to eat or drink something. I don't think I added anything between sessions that would have had any effect.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So apparently the Creation Club version of survival mode is still free until the 10th. Get it now or never (because what's the point of paying for it, honestly?).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
If it was unlocked during the beta client, is it still unlocked?

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

How's the SKSE 64 alpha doing? Any issues using it?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm about 36hours in with a completely kitchen-sinked mod selection that looked fun and I've had zero problems.

I was fully expecting nodding on SSE to be a pain in the dick, but it turned out to be a goddamned cakewalk to my previous nodding experiences in the original version.

There was apparently also an update from 2.0.2 or so to 2.0.4 a few days ago, nothing broke, everything works fine.
Ymmv, I guess.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I had a fully modded SSE running well about a month ago. Unofficial patch and about 50 other things.

I saw that there was a Steam patch to SSE last week for some kind of creation club DLC (I'm not using this). The steam update auto-downloaded.

Could that patch break my existing mod setup in any way? Or was it just an .exe patch for some new DLC support?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

pmchem posted:

Could that patch break my existing mod setup in any way?

It shouldn't.

The creation club stuff is just some thingamabob you can click on from the title screen menu. The first time you log in you get 100 bethesda bucks (buckesda) with which you can theoretically buy dumb DLCs. As of right now you can get the survival mode for free (offer valid today and tomorrow, but it ends after) and some thingie about magic items that's the only mod priced at 100 buckesda. Everything else requires spending real money to buy more buckesdas, and honestly, meh. None of the stuff on offer look like they'd really be worth it.

Anyways the CC support code shouldn't screw with the existing mods, so you should be able to continue on your merry way.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is the free survival mode actually good or should most people just go through the effort of setting up the usual mods?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's this video that should cover the issue but I haven't bothered to actually watch it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_sH6RjjDY4

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Is the free survival mode actually good or should most people just go through the effort of setting up the usual mods?

Just using iNeed and Frostfall. They achieve basically the same thing, and arguably do so better.

I should note, I recommend against using a basic needs mod. After reflecting on Chesko's comments with respect to developing Last Seed, Skyrim just isn't setup for 'survival' and basic needs. To make such a thing work really needs a more extensive approach, where Skyrim drowns the player in food; making basic needs mods feel like little more than busy work outside the first hour.

I like the idea, and I have had fun with iNeed, but after really considering it, I didn't bother with any basic needs mods for my current playthrough, and I'm not going to bother again until Last Seed is finished. Maybe I'll try something else after Hunger in the North - but I pretty much agree with what Chesko is on about - to get a basic needs mod to work in the context these basic needs mods are generally developed (including CC Survival Mode) they really need a complete overhaul to Skyrim loot, nevermind the foods/drinks themselves.

What I'm trying to say is just use Frostfall.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Wasn't Chesko's ending statement basically that a food system in Skyrim only makes sense if you abstract away the "just eat something I came across idc" and only leave in the rewards for giving a poo poo and eating right?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Depends on your point of view but I think the "busywork" aspect can be the draw of the whole thing. All these survival mods basically just require me to think a little about how to prepare for things. It's not really hard per se, but the fact of having to do it changes my outlook on playing the game. As long as it's not unbearably tedious, just doing that kind of prep makes it feel like a different experience. Like, Frostfall for example, it's not too hard to get enough protection from cold to deal with really cold areas. However, having to think about the fact that some places are unbearably cold changes how the world of Skyrim feels to me. Same with food. At root, it's just making sure I have food in my backpack and taking breaks to eat. But that little touch makes going out adventuring feel just a bit more like a real excursion into the wilds. This is really down to personal taste, though.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

I always imagined an interesting twist for a needs mod would be one that required you to be sitting down in a chair or at a table before eating or drinking. The reaction from seeing "I need to eat" of opening a menu, clicking a food item, exiting the menu, felt a bit weak. I know some mods abstract that away, so you just eat automatically, but I thought it would be interesting to go the other direction, making it more involved to eat or drink. A little similar to how Fallout 4 requires you to be sitting down (IIRC?) to wait.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The mod I used would play a little animation when you used food or drink. Sort of the same experience.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
No, certainly not that simplistic. The idea of lumping basic needs into a general "wellness" attribute makes the system more flexible from the player's perspective. Instead of the sort of silly micromanaging basic needs independently, sometimes asking the player to eat... then moments later, drink, Last Seed rather encourages addressing basic needs all at once. Because having the three invisible meters working behind the scene as mostly full as possible will have the greatest upward momentum on wellness, the tendency toward actually FOCUSING on basic needs will likely be more prevalent - but affording the chance to ignore them when contextually appropriate.

But Last Seed will impose debuffs - it just doesn't assume that will be a major issue in most cases. Instead, by making wellness a general attribute, and imposing some 'inertia' to the thing it means being well prepared mitigates the need to bother with needs while dealing with the dungeon diving (even ignoring the focus 'system'), but also by making the process of recovering from lost wellness something more involved than a bowl of soup and sleeping on a bed roll.

Focused state is probably the most interesting thing to me in the context of this system. First, but locking in effective wellness when entering a dungeon it encourages perparation. Go in in good shape, and you will be in good shape for the duration. Second, by locking in that wellness, but having any affects on wellness 'catch up' with you on the way out it can effectively result in some up/down.

Compare with iNeed for example - you're nagged during the dungeon, interrupting the 'event'. Since you're addressing the nagging because it isn't like having the resources is a problem, you're always in good shape. There is never any up and down - it is always up, and it's always obnoxious - though I do appreciate iNeed.

Last Seed recognizes you won't have a problem finding resources. 'Focus' not only eliminates the busy work in appropriate contexts, but it disguises the whole system in a way that the player may end up in a situation where, despite the glut of food and drink, may see negative impacts of hunger/thirst. Not so much that they matter in the sense they will ever negatively affect the player in combat - but that the player character will really hit those lower tiers of hunger/thirst. That 'wellness' can not simply be addressed by stuffing a bunch of food/drink down the character's throat and recover (literally instantly), the trend toward actually resting is present, making trips to town, or setting up camp a "thing". It takes time for wellness to improve, so to recover from that dungeon dive you not only need to eat drink and sleep, but need to do all three, consistently, over a period of time proportional to the quality of food/drink/bedding and the wellness the player desires to recover.

It's just the interplay between the features that makes what is fundamentally little more than filling the meters something more interesting than just filling the meters.

e: don't mean to talk up Last Seed. I'm just trying to describe my understanding, and if nothing else, I'm excited because I appreciate Chesko is trying to approach basic needs in some other way. Maybe it'll work. Maybe it won't. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the whole thing. I'm just glad it's different, because again, while I had some fun with iNeed (I don't use it as comparison because I think it's bad), I agree with Chesko's sentiment that 'hardcore' basic needs don't really work in Skyrim as is.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 8, 2017

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

cheskos a big baby and any modder who gets into bed with todd coward should be fus ro dah'd into red mountain

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

paying for mods on a version that doesn't have a proper skse or skyui... well, that's some faill rear end poo poo my friends.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dongicus posted:

cheskos a big baby and any modder who gets into bed with todd coward should be fus ro dah'd into red mountain

I missed what specifically this had to do with Chesko.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I missed what specifically this had to do with Chesko.
At the moment nothing beyond people wanting to be angry and/or looking to stir up some e-drama.

The idea is that Chesko created a survival-mode mod, therefor only Chesko can create survival-mode mods. But there really isn't anything to indicate whether he made the Survival Mode creation (I haven't compared the two in depth, but at first glance Survival Mode does its thing in a different way then Frostfall), or if he joined the Creation Club at all.
Chesko himself is currently MIA as far as I know. If I recall right Chesko got deaththreats during the last paid-modding debacle (Good job Internet!). So if he did join the Creation Club, it would make some sense for him to go radio silent and distance himself from the community. :shrug:.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I was following Chesko during and after the paid mods fiasco and he did get treated very unfairly. He also did return to making mods after that. I followed progress on "Last Seed," his needs mod, and I'd have to spend more effort than I feel like doing right now to be sure but the way I recall that working seems similar to how the Survival Mode thing works. But it might only be a vague resemblance.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Dongicus posted:

paying for mods on a version that doesn't have a proper skse or skyui... well, that's some faill rear end poo poo my friends.

FWIW I put 20 hours into SE with SKSE64 and SkyUI an it works like a dream

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

I was following Chesko during and after the paid mods fiasco and he did get treated very unfairly. He also did return to making mods after that. I followed progress on "Last Seed," his needs mod, and I'd have to spend more effort than I feel like doing right now to be sure but the way I recall that working seems similar to how the Survival Mode thing works. But it might only be a vague resemblance.

One of the funniest things is how loving insulated those modders were on the Nexus ~special modder only forum~ that they honestly had no loving idea what a loving blender they were about to stick their genitals in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What are people's preferred builds with ortinator? I'm reinstalling now that SSE has SKSE/SKYUI. I was thinking a sneaking mage that uses a lot of illusion and destruction, but I always sneak in Skyrim.