Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Isn't Agents of Mayhem one of those games that took an absurdly long time to develop?

I think it took 3 years?

nachos posted:

It's a bad game with fun combat like destiny 1 but in tyool 2017 where goty candidates are released every other week there's no reason to play i

Combat is really great and the character balance is pretty good too. Everyone is different and just about everyone plays well.

But its missing something.

Help Im Alive posted:

Volition had to layoff a bunch of staff a few weeks ago I think

yeah they fired chipcheezum but kept idolninja on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
rip chip

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Agents of Mayhem looks like it's supposed to be a co-op multiplayer game and not a single player game because the combat systems look fun and punchy but they appear to be surrounded by ultra generic quest hub boring story etc

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Zoe Quinn is doing a book talk at my bookstore and I really hope nobody awful shows up

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Looper posted:

Zoe Quinn is doing a book talk at my bookstore and I really hope nobody awful shows up

So you aren't going? :thunk:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Healbot posted:

So you aren't going? :thunk:

I am going and you're rude!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looper posted:

You know they're going to, you should record the worst people with your phone

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
is Zoe Quinn the game journalist/dev/whatever that got blasted by the false controversy created by those gamergate idiots?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“Internet Kraken”" post="“477179546”"]
is Zoe Quinn the game journalist/dev/whatever that got blasted by the false controversy created by those gamergate idiots?
[/quote]

Google says so

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

She also made a game about depression and feelings.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
If I know anything there's nothing gamers hate more than feelings

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk you'd have to be pretty terrible to actually go out to a physical event to harass someone over video game drama

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

precision posted:

You know they're going to, you should record the worst people with your phone

Do this

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Help Im Alive posted:

idk you'd have to be pretty terrible to actually go out to a physical event to harass someone over video game drama

I have bad news about gamers

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

big feels gamer here

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gaming "culture" is such a wasteland that every time there is forums drama or technical difficulties here, I think to myself "Where would I go to talk about video games that's not poo poo"

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Help Im Alive posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some idiots turned up brandishing tiki torches.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“chumbler”" post="“477179819”"]
She also made a game about depression and feelings.
[/quote]

It was made with like a cyoa website template iirc and that drove crazy people insane about real games lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lets hang out posted:

big feels gamer here

I love feeling things

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

I love feeling things

Who let this non-gamer enter our hallowed posting halls?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

M-maybe he meant feeling big anime titties

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Hey it's ya boi XxFEELZxX here with more quality gaming content

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
journey made me feels things

wait no, that was the LSD

little bit of column a, little bit of column b

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the feels of thatgamecompany's jenova chen's seminal feelsgame Journey, the highest highs and lowest lows, the feels I love to feel

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
feelings... feh. true gamers keep their emotions in their top hat

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Real hurthling! posted:

It was made with like a cyoa website template iirc and that drove crazy people insane about real games lmao

Depression Quest was a pretty terrible game, technically and authorially, but no excuse for the crap inflicted on Quinn.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

as a gamer, I love the feeling of sliding a long silver feel down a well greased chamber.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

My favorite feeling is anger and i love to channel my anger to totally pwn scrubs online

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Nobody can hire my feelings.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I played Depression Quest and as a professional at being depressed I can safely say it does a horrible job of conveying its point about how depression is a crippling illness to people who may not have experienced it, while at the same time insulting people who are depressed by saying the equivalent of "being depressed sucks and everyone will hate you even though it's not your fault and you will never get better because it's too hard"

edit: Which is directly antithetical to what the game tells you it's about, because it opens with a couple paragraphs about how depression comes in all shapes and sizes and is preventable. But in the same paragraph it clarifies that your depression is definitely worse if you have a worse life so be thankful you don't have a bad life even if you're depressed and blah blah it's fuckin stupid and borderline offensive

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 8, 2017

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I honestly do not get all the raving about how innovative the Nemesis system is and how much it adds to games and how people want to see that repeated like it's something special. I even died while playing Shadow of Mordor so I actually got to see the traits change but big whoop, interlocking enemy traits is something that has been in RPGs and hierarchy-based territory control has been in other open world games. The narrative stuff is all generic palette swap enemies with canned monologues that I skipped after the first dozen and hearing that they're made even longer and more frequent in Shadow of War is not exciting to me at all

Edit: I mean, I had fun with Shadow of Mordor, sure, but that was mainly because of how the domination mechanic could change the tides of fights, which isn't anything to do with the Nemesis system, and I enjoyed chipping away at the power structure, but again, their spin on hierarchy-based territory control didn't strike me as mind-blowing innovation that I want to revolutionize the industry, which is how people sound when they talk about the Nemesis System™

So, sure part of it is low expectations exceeded. SoM looked like a bad movie tie-in Assassin's Creed knock off.

And if you play the game the way you described then sure I can see how the game wouldn't seem all that innovative to you. I kind of feel that way about the Metal Gear series where I feel like cut scenes get in the way of gameplay, so I don't have much time for the games. I understand that the majority of the Metal Gear fanbase disagrees with me and the genre-bending stories mixed with meta-gameplay moments and decent stealth action is a huge draw.

So what's special about Nemesis is that it's a pinball machine of emergent narratives with admittedly thin characters that come out of the woodwork as a result of you playing the game. In a medium full of pre-scripted bosses or generic foes, this is a third thing. Bosses that emerge because of things you did. And thanks to the hierarchy systems and the way traits show up, this is a game where you can decide to play Sim Orc and spend all your time meddling in the shadows, changing the outcomes of contests, picking orcs that you rise through the ranks and nurturing your own orc crime family. Sure, if you hit the skip button on all that, it wouldn't seem that interesting./ But if you decide to get stuck in the systems, there's a lot of fun to be had.

SoM's implementation of the system was thin, much as Assassin's Creed 1 was really more of a tech demo of a much better game. The hope is that SoW will be something special as they've had more time to give orc more traits, more names, more faces, more voices, more personalities. And maybe it'll suck for other reasons, or maybe they'll fall down on getting the Nemesis system right. But very few games have even tried to make such a system, even as many game developers have talked about emergent narratives for ages.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'm not holding my breath for anything released under Warner Brothers, especially for a product were they tried monetizing one of their recently deceased developers as ingame model, which only a shitstorm stopped.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

I played Depression Quest and as a professional at being depressed I can safely say it does a horrible job of conveying its point about how depression is a crippling illness to people who may not have experienced it, while at the same time insulting people who are depressed by saying the equivalent of "being depressed sucks and everyone will hate you even though it's not your fault and you will never get better because it's too hard"

edit: Which is directly antithetical to what the game tells you it's about, because it opens with a couple paragraphs about how depression comes in all shapes and sizes and is preventable. But in the same paragraph it clarifies that your depression is definitely worse if you have a worse life so be thankful you don't have a bad life even if you're depressed and blah blah it's fuckin stupid and borderline offensive

extremely same my friend, i have a god drat PhD in depression by this point and i just... it's not like i actively hate it, because i try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time, i kind of do hate it because its messages seem to me to be... not good.

from what i know of everything that happened to her, she didn't deserve a lot of poo poo for things that sounded to me like just being a flawed human being like we all are. christ, we've all done lovely things, look at my entire 20s!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

journey made me feels things

wait no, that was the LSD

little bit of column a, little bit of column b

Journey made me feel things but to be fair most of it was Austin Wintory's loving amazing soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypNgvc6c6Cc

That track is up there with like To Zanarkand for levels of emotion. Massively underrated.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 8, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What do people think of Actual Sunlight

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

not a big fan tbh, I try to avoid it as much as possible

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

i like actual sunlight enough to get several hours of it a day

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'm pale as gently caress so the sun is my natural enemy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Help Im Alive posted:

I prefer cloudy days because I get hot and burn easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Help Im Alive posted:

I'd be okay with that mr burns block out the sun thing tbh

• Locked thread