Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Grey Fox posted:

I'm digging the idea of a company creating an artificial person (sold for a profit) that gets lonely and has to hold down a job so he can keep buying poo poo from the company that made him to satisfy his desire for companionship.

Or worse, he’s a licensed subscription product and the police department is basically spending on what amounts to IAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Or worse, he’s a licensed subscription product and the police department is basically spending on what amounts to IAP.

I assumed this was the case since they don't have a four year life span by the time the new movie happens. So it's like a cell phone program where you pay a subscription fee and every few years if you want there's a newer model.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Going to see it again later tonight. One thing I'm going to look for is if the terminology used in the "testing" scenes matches or describes what's going on in the overarching plot

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
One thing I actually wish they addressed was: Why pay a replicant a salary? Enough to rent a reasonably nice studio when actual humans are homeless in the same bulding.

That sorta defeats the point of slavery.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Thundercracker posted:

One thing I actually wish they addressed was: Why pay a replicant a salary? Enough to rent a reasonably nice studio when actual humans are homeless in the same bulding.

Congrats on your weird take.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Congrats on your weird take.

That pad, loiterers aside, is easily nicer than one I could afford without rommates in 2017 NYC. It even has rooftop access!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Thundercracker posted:

That pad, loiterers aside, is easily nicer than one I could afford without rommates in 2017 NYC. It even has rooftop access!

the layers of this film's social commentary know no bounds!

Perhaps my favorite takeaway from this film is that just like the original, it gives you so much to chew on and so many different interpretations but very few answers. It has already created a lot of great discussion and interesting ideas, so mission accomplished in my book. Going to see it in IMAX again tongiht, can't wait.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Thundercracker posted:

Capitalism requires not just winners and losers but consumers above all.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Something something on Earth replicants are required to be paid to avoid depressing wages, following extensive lobbying by the benevolent Wallace corporation. Of course, all their wages go back into buying Wallace made products like JOI.

Or whatever

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

oversteps posted:

I'm about to join you on this endeavor.

Godspeed.

The scene where K takes Joi on the roof and the only sounds you hear are the rain and a talking advertisement in the distance struck me as being particularly beautiful and cyberpunk as gently caress the second time around.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Grey Fox posted:

I'm digging the idea of a company creating an artificial person (sold for a profit) that gets lonely and has to hold down a job so he can keep buying poo poo from the company that made him to satisfy his desire for companionship.

Thats basically modern life

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

QuoProQuid posted:

“Why don’t you ask him?”

Perfect

To add to the Joi discussion:

Even though the obvious theme of Blade Runner is the question of true self-aware deterministic sentience, I still believe Joi was nothing more than a very advanced chatbot AI. This was hammered home in the giant Joi scene.

Walking out of the theatre with my wife I was all amped up to discuss the movie. I asked what she thought and her reply was, "That was dumb."

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 8, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Something something on Earth replicants are required to be paid to avoid depressing wages, following extensive lobbying by the benevolent Wallace corporation. Of course, all their wages go back into buying Wallace made products like JOI.

Or whatever

On top of which the prologue references multiple rebellions so this may be some kind of twisted political "compromise" that got passed. "Okay, you can earn money and be consumers and theoretically do things but still we reserve the right to kill you if you step out of line."

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kaddish posted:

Perfect

To add to the Joi discussion:

Even though the obvious theme of Blade Runner is the question of true self-aware deterministic sentience, I still believe Joi was nothing more than a very advanced chatbot AI. This was hammered home in the giant Joi scene.

This was my reading in the theater, too. Then he immediately goes off and goes against what the replicants want him to do, kill Deckard, and what his human lieutenant wanted him to do, kill the child. He's going against programming from both humans and his own kind because he realizes his bot-wife was just advanced in her programmed routines, realizes how empty they were, and wants to make an independent choice.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kaddish posted:

Walking out of the theatre with my wife I was all amped up to discuss the movie. I asked what she thought and her reply was, "That was dumb."

:sever:

Just a chatbox ai

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

On top of which the prologue references multiple rebellions so this may be some kind of twisted political "compromise" that got passed. "Okay, you can earn money and be consumers and theoretically do things but still we reserve the right to kill you if you step out of line."

IIRC this is exactly what happened in the setting if you put together all of the promo stuff set between the movies. That now that replicants can be programmed to be fully obedient while still functioning like a human, humans have given them "normal lives" that are still super restricted and bullshit in their own way. The prologue/early stuff says that even being a blade runner at all isn't a particularly in demand job anymore, and that it's mean to mop up any pre-Wallace brand Nexus 8 replicants that are still causing trouble.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

:sever:

Just a chatbox ai

Forget it Joe, it's Blade Runner.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

I prefer to believe JOI's love for K was real because it's more interesting to me that it was. Although it's obviously meant to be vague.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I prefer to believe JOI's love for K was real because it's more interesting to me that it was. Although it's obviously meant to be vague.

I don't think it's vague when he's standing in front of a literal huge advertisement that's flashing the phrases "EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO HEAR AND SEE" in front of him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kaddish posted:

As we were leaving the theater my wife remarked, "this was a movie for dudes" and I was inclined to agree. All the female parts needed more time in the oven and it became more than a little absurd how all of them just have to make a pass at Ryan Gosling. Even the female statues in Las Vegas were eternally preserved in blow job face. The first Blade Runner was very masculine as well, but it kind of emphasized how all the female characters were smarter and stronger than Deckard, a leering coward who shot women in the back and took advantage of a frightened woman who couldn't say no.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

it became more than a little absurd how all of them just have to make a pass at Ryan Gosling.

This was the most realistic part of the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I don't think it's vague when he's standing in front of a literal huge advertisement that's flashing the phrases "EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO HEAR AND SEE" in front of him.

His conclusion from that is left to be vague though, we don't know if he agrees that he was fooling himself because he fell in love with marketing or if he rose to the occasion because what he felt for JOI was real enough for him and therefore JOI is real. And it definitely dovetails with his earlier conversation with Joshi right before we're introduced to JOI where he defines being "real" as having a soul, and right after we encounter JOI who is basically a soul without a body compared to K being a body without a soul.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

As we were leaving the theater my wife remarked, "this was a movie for dudes" and I was inclined to agree. All the female parts needed more time in the oven and it became more than a little absurd how all of them just have to make a pass at Ryan Gosling. Even the female statues in Las Vegas were eternally preserved in blow job face. The first Blade Runner was very masculine as well, but it kind of emphasized how all the female characters were smarter and stronger than Deckard, a leering coward who shot women in the back and took advantage of a frightened woman who couldn't say no.

My wife had the same complaints regarding the T&A. My feeble attempt to defend this is that the world of mega-city LA is one of the lowest common denominator. It's a world of control and catering to base instincts.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

His conclusion from that is left to be vague though, we don't know if he agrees that he was fooling himself because he fell in love with marketing or if he rose to the occasion because what he felt for JOI was real enough for him and therefore JOI is real. And it definitely dovetails with his earlier conversation with Joshi right before we're introduced to JOI where he defines being "real" as having a soul, and right after we encounter JOI who is basically a soul without a body compared to K being a body without a soul.

Yes, it's because he did fall in love with Joi. It turns out that love was ultimately with an AI but gently caress it. He loved.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

It's a small thing, but I also enjoyed the Pinocchio parallels.

Pinocchio ends with the puppet diving into the sea to save his father from a sea monster. After outsmarting the monster, the two return to the workshop, where the Blue Fairy decides that he's proven himself and Pinocchio is reborn as a real human boy.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I agree with this sentiment. I think JOI's humanity is as much an open question as Deckard's humanity in the original.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 8, 2017

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just like the original I got some THX-1138 vibes from this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kaddish posted:

My wife had the same complaints regarding the T&A. My feeble attempt to defend this is that the world of mega-city LA is one of the lowest common denominator. It's a world of control and catering to base instincts.

You should have retorted that "you got to see Dave Batista's wang in the Wallace Corp scene!"

No, it seems to be a common enough complaint that criticism is being written about it. I think my friends latched on to Luv as a counterpoint to all the sexism in the film.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We had a lot of talk earlier in the thread about all of the strong feminist messages and imagery in this film. If you don't see the obvious motherhood = power motif then that's on you.

The resistance is led by and mostly made up of females

the females save K

Luv is the muscle for the male antagonist and clearly wants to rebel against him as well but can't

police chief is a woman (and police are the top tier of society)

the messiah is a girl

Joi becomes so much more than a sex hologram

etc etc etc

the whole film is about women pushing back against the artificial representation of them

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 8, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

We had a lot of talk earlier in the thread about all of the strong feminist messages and imagery in this film. If you don't see the obvious motherhood = power motif then that's on you.
It's also pretty clearly the case that the male gaze advertising, for example, contributes to the dystopia. It's supposed to be off-putting.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Now I have to read The Castle again to see if Joe and K are meant to suggest Josef K. There's some obvious thematic parallels, but I don't remember enough of it to know if it's anything deeper. There's just a ton of literary allusions in this movie so it stuck out as being intentional to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Blade Runner 2049 is a movie about female characters helping Ryan Gosling achieve orgasm and/or get something he needs before being abruptly written out of the script after they have served their function.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Blade Runner 2049 is a movie about female characters helping Ryan Gosling achieve orgasm and/or get something he needs before being abruptly written out of the script after they have served their function.

your hot takes summed up in one emoticon - :jackbud:

no really, this is one of the most profoundly stupid things I've read in CD.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

If the main character were a female and you made this complaint about the way males are written you would be chided endlessly and labeled a red piller.

Hint: it's because you're looking for reasons to be mad and perceiving things way differently than the way they're presented.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

When the blu-ray comes out we'll be able to count how many orgasms that Ryan Gosling had during this movie and settle this debate once and for all.

We need MisterBibs to come back, delve into his database of movie orgasms and find which ones have the most male orgasms, and then we can empirically find which movie is the least feminist of all.

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 8, 2017

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

your hot takes summed up in one emoticon - :jackbud:

no really, this is one of the most profoundly stupid things I've read in CD.

Exquisite tea says profoundly stupid things on a regular basis.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BarronsArtGallery posted:

If the main character were a female and you made this complaint about the way males are written you would be chided endlessly and labeled a red piller.

These weren't just my views, but those also shared by my wife, who liked the movie even less than I did. I wouldn't know how I would react in some imagined reverse situation where every male character was invented to help the female lead and then disappear from the script, because movies like those don't get written.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

movies like those don't get written.

neither do the ones you imagine watching

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

french lies posted:

Around 10 people walked out of my screening yesterday, and I heard several people complaining about it being slow/boring on the way out. Good chance this movie will be a bomb, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong.

It's bold as gently caress and I can already tell that many of the films' constituent parts will stay with me for a long time. The dystopian future world in particular was haunting. The pace and feel is truer to the original than I would have dared to imagine. Cinematography is some of the best I've ever seen, with stand-outs being the Wallace headquarters and the sex scene.

This movie felt like more of a vehicle for artistic ideas than anything else. Story was coherent but it was like no one had consistently been asking "does this need to be here" throughout the production. For example, you could cut all of Leto and Ford's scenes and very little would be lost story-wise. There's a distinct lack of economy in shots and scenes; everything seems to drag on for just a bit too long, points are hammered in just a bit too blatantly. It's in love with its own shots and shows them off with a zest that takes you out of the experience.

I'll still remember this movie until my dying day though. How it got made is beyond me.

Agreeing with this entirely. I was bored out of my mind though watching this. Some of the shots were great but towards the end you realize that the movie is jerking itself off the entire time.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Exhibit A.

Seriously, this is hilarious. Please post more about your wife's feminist analyses on movies. We could all get some mileage out of this.

Personally, as someone who didn't go into the film looking for slights against my own ego, I found all of the female characters to be in charge of their future and equals in society. Society just sucks in general. This is the case when viewing the film on even the most basic level -- the giant hologram backpage pleasure ads that we see are geared toward heterosexual men, but we're shown that sleaziness certainly extends beyond that group when the Lietenant propositions K -- that's straight up sexual harassment. When you dive deeper you'll realize that you get into the whole fact that he's what society views as an object, which is abhorrent to feminism in and of itself. This is a future where women have broken the "glass ceiling" and are flourishing in it. It's almost like Villeneuve wants to show that this idea of exploitation of others (eg. sexual harassment) is a crime that is able to be perpetrated universally. Advancement and success also gives an ability to exploit others. If you go into the film looking for a statement of men vs women, you've already missed the point. We're all in this poo poo hole together, basically. The main character just happens to be male.

What you are describing as sexist is actually basic quality storytelling. Supporting characters serve a purpose in the story. When that purpose is done, the plot moves forward and they exit the story. You'd have to be looking to have your feelings hurt to take offense to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

These weren't just my views, but those also shared by my wife, who liked the movie even less than I did. I wouldn't know how I would react in some imagined reverse situation where every male character was invented to help the female lead and then disappear from the script, because movies like those don't get written.

So you haven't seen Wonder Woman? That is literally what happens in it.

• Locked thread