Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I've never had AppleCare before. It's a no brainer right? I know they changed it a bit? Applecare+ is the new one?

When you retroactively purchase it don't you have to take it to a store for an inspection or how does that work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is a 6s / 6s Plus a worthwhile investment two years after release? The 8 lets me re-use wireless charging pads from the phone I'm replacing, but that alone isn't worth a 200% price difference, missing headphone jack and even more glass.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Let me tell you about this phone called the iPhone 7

Headphone jack is an annoyance at best

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lotta poor folks without CarPlay ITT

I'm currently driving a rental which according to the manufacturers website is supposed to have CarPlay but it's not actually available in the car.

I'm 90% sure the rental company did this intentionally so they could charge an extra $20 for an out of date Garmin or whatever.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I’d pay extra for a headphone jack.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I agree with both the guy calling a headphone jack an annoyance and the person who would pay extra for one.

(Let me control it on a software level, Apple. You fucks.)

My iPhone went back to speaker mode on its own for some reason last night.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I agree with both the guy calling a headphone jack an annoyance and the person who would pay extra for one.

(Let me control it on a software level, Apple. You fucks.)

2018: you can finally control the headphone jack at the software level because installing iOS 12 will entirely disable it

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Shumagorath posted:

Is a 6s / 6s Plus a worthwhile investment two years after release? The 8 lets me re-use wireless charging pads from the phone I'm replacing, but that alone isn't worth a 200% price difference, missing headphone jack and even more glass.

I'm not sure if it's because of the country I'm in but I see the 8+ as only 43% more than the 6s+. Unless you're talking about a used 6s+ in which case I'd consider how many charge cycles and wear the old one has been through.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

also it'd be really hard for me to go back to wired charging at this point

just get a 7 or 8 dude. If you really need the audio there's a dongle. Less than ideal, but yeah. If the 6s wasn't already known for issues I'd say otherwise

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My friends, please stop ignoring all this bad advice about what phone to get.

Wait for the X. Embrace the notch.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'll get the x2 next year when they fix all the annoyances. Never buy first gen Apple. Remember the iPad1!

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

TraderStav posted:

I'll get the x2 next year when they fix all the annoyances. Never buy first gen Apple. Remember the iPad1!

The 8 Plus is the big version of the iPhone SE -- it's the end of an era of design that basically gets every single thing right about that period of smartphones without any real negatives, the 8 Plus is genuinely the perfect end to this generation of devices, sameway the 5S was.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Haha. gently caress the X - even with the complaints I had with the 8+ and trying to convince myself to get an X I couldn't do it. The notch is awful but ultimately no Touch ID was the killer and I am tempted to say that I will go to android if I have to if they remove the home button altogether from the iPhone at some point. I just don't want to have to use gestures for every god drat thing in the world.

But anyway, I would get a 7 or 8. I still have my old 6+ and it has serious battery issues and chugs for a lot of tasks.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

gestures are cool until you're in an app where you don't want gestures to register

so yeah no home button sucks

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The 8 is really really good for what it's worth. It's the right weight and feel. I missed the glass back so much. Boost up the speed of the wireless charging and you got a big game winner here.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

maybe it's just the ios or placebo but aside from the wireless charging I preferred my 7

The 8 gets a lot of random hangups and is just overall buggy, things i never felt on the 7. I've had to hard reset twice, something I never did on the 7. To be fair, I think one was from me holding down the camera shutter button

I get it's a new phone/ios and I didn't get the 7 until it was out for a bit so I'm sure it'll get a lot better

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My 6S on 11 was janky. May be the os

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

gestures are cool until you're in an app where you don't want gestures to register

They have thought of that ... Apps that use a swipe from bottom gesture can keep using it.

The only gesture you lose is 'swipe from the bottom of the screen twice quickly'. And I don't think anyone's using that.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So I don't know how often you all get these but I have gotten a handful of notifications since ios11 came out about movies that were automatically made from pictures in my photo library. The most recent one just five minutes ago was just called "Portraits over time" and they were all photos of my daughter. It seems to be programmed to remind people about the passage of time and impermanence of all things and how you blink and your kid is almost 1/3 of the way through to being in college, which was not an advertised feature of ios11 that I knew about.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's called Memories and it's an iOS 10 feature.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My major gripe with gestures is in websites that have left /right swipe sections on the page and if you swipe slightly too far you trigger back or forward :argh:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pivo posted:

It's called Memories and it's an iOS 10 feature.

Oh weird. I didn't get notifications about any of them on ios10 so I guess I didn't notice them.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So what is it about this phone that causes it to glide off of flat surfaces to try to break itself? I don't remember this happening with the older glass back phones like the 4. I am waiting for a case to arrive in the mail, which I hate because I have never liked or used cases, and just put down the phone on the bathroom counter while I took out my contacts. In under one minute I hear a bang and the phone is on the floor. The places it falls from seem completely flat and they are spots I have put my old phones for years without any of this bullshit happening. I am genuinely curious why this is happening - is it the oleophobic coating making the glass back so slippery? The curved edges? It is driving me crazy and seems like the phone is trying to commit suicide.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Believe me I want one and I'm going to wake up early to preorder but I'm 99% sure that I won't get it until 2018Q2 since I have to sign up for the apple upgrade program and all those extra clicks will slow me down. Might just get the 8 now and upgrade to the X-2 next year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iajanus posted:

My major gripe with gestures is in websites that have left /right swipe sections on the page and if you swipe slightly too far you trigger back or forward :argh:

Ho boy is this a bad one. Apple Music has horizontal scrolling and it is insanely loving bad.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So do popsockets work with wireless charging?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

rio posted:

So what is it about this phone that causes it to glide off of flat surfaces to try to break itself? I don't remember this happening with the older glass back phones like the 4. I am waiting for a case to arrive in the mail, which I hate because I have never liked or used cases, and just put down the phone on the bathroom counter while I took out my contacts. In under one minute I hear a bang and the phone is on the floor. The places it falls from seem completely flat and they are spots I have put my old phones for years without any of this bullshit happening. I am genuinely curious why this is happening - is it the oleophobic coating making the glass back so slippery? The curved edges? It is driving me crazy and seems like the phone is trying to commit suicide.

It's the camera bump

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Edit : wrong thread for app recommendations.

I've just moved over from a Samsung s7 after 8 years of Android and I'm surprised with how much I'm preferring iOS.

Beaucoup Haram fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 8, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/74u8il/another_iphone_x_in_the_wild/

https://streamable.com/rgdj8

To quote the reddit hoard: "sooo thicccc 😩💦💦💦"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought thicc was in

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Do you guys have a preferred keyboard that makes using punctuation slightly quicker, easier? Also, since getting an iPhone 8 I've noticed that scrolling makes the words on the screen blurry which reeks havoc with my eyes. Is there some setting that ups the refresh rate or FPS or whatever so there's not so much scrolling distortion?

If I have a samsung usb-C fast charger, is there a cord alone I can buy to fast charge the iPhone to use it with?

Is there a dongle they lets you use lightning headphones while charging? I'm considering getting those AirPods but I'm still not sure about running or biking with them and them falling out.

Thanks for the help, sorry for all the questions. I had a galaxy S8, but I've always used iPhone so switched back, just couldn't get on board. The iPhone 8 is definitely feeling aged but it works very well and I have iMessage again.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

If I have a samsung usb-C fast charger, is there a cord alone I can buy to fast charge the iPhone to use it with?

Is there a dongle they lets you use lightning headphones while charging? I'm considering getting those AirPods but I'm still not sure about running or biking with them and them falling out.

Yeah Apple sells a USB-C to Lightning cable.

AirPods won't fall out. Belkin sells a charge & listen dongle. Only up to 12W pass through so won't charge much faster than a 10W iPad charger.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah, I've seen that charger. I was wondering if there was a dongle that did both the newer lightning headphone jack, and lightning charger jack. Since the new headphones that came with the phone are a lot better than my like 5 year old now yellow old iPhone headphones.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You'd... rather use Lightning EarPods than have a 3.5mm jack? Heh. Well then... https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Adapter-Wofalodata-Splitter-Compatible/dp/B06XSY6KZ3

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There are plenty of lightning “splitters” on Amazon, no idea about their quality.

For the scrolling thing, you might try going into accessibility options and turning on Reduce Motion and see what happens. E: doing so will have unrelated side effects.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Apple has an official lightning/headphone splitter now if that makes you feel better but the Belkin one is Just Fine.

Or just get the Anker Bluetooth adapter puck thing (note: it's a pain in the dick if you need multiple phones connected).

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Has autocorrect been weirdly auto-capitalizing strange words? This feels like it's worse with iOS 11. As one example, I was just trying to type "Where can I" and EVERY TIME it wants to auto correct it to "Where Can I" when I simply type it out as "where can i " (but only capitalizes "can" when it auto-capitalizes the 'I'; it capitalizes "where" as expected as the first word of the sentence).

It also always capitalizes "home", so I dunno maybe it thinks that's a proper noun since I have a "Home" contact or something?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I just had "For" and "Love" autocorrected to be capitalized last night, neither of which is anywhere in my contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

[quote="“Blinkz0rz”" post="“477172135”"]
It’s the camera bump
[/quote]

That makes perfect sense. Well I guess it's a good way to sell more screen replacements and backs.

fourwood posted:

Has autocorrect been weirdly auto-capitalizing strange words? This feels like it's worse with iOS 11. As one example, I was just trying to type "Where can I" and EVERY TIME it wants to auto correct it to "Where Can I" when I simply type it out as "where can i " (but only capitalizes "can" when it auto-capitalizes the 'I'; it capitalizes "where" as expected as the first word of the sentence).

It also always capitalizes "home", so I dunno maybe it thinks that's a proper noun since I have a "Home" contact or something?

Yes, I was wondering if it had some random persons's last name in the autocorrect because words like Long get capitalized for no reason. I can't remember other ones but there were a bunch.