Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chernobyl kinsman posted:

also it is sincerely okay if not every religious institution adheres to progressive ideas about sexuality
not if i have to live there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

crazy, almost like the church doesn't see the liberation and normalization of lgbt people as a desirable goal in the way that you do
you can look at the fingers and scan the brains of trans people and see measurable differences between them and cis people. here is a group of people who are objectively different from others and they have been since before they were born. They are as God made them.

Why would God have made them if it were licit for the majority to torture them?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 8, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sure, I agree. I'm just pushing the matter a bit hard here because I have no patience for arguments that the church ought to change its stance on x, y or z issue because of [consequentialist argument], and because senju is easy to get worked up.

yeah i sure do have some personal issues with the catholic church's teachings on lgbt people because i used to be lgbt and catholic and almost became a priest because i refused to really examine the underlying reason why having a sexual and romantic relationship with a woman was completely and totally unappealing

boy i hope you don't act like this to gay and or trans kids

oh yeah i'm also livid about dead children and adults, what a great troll

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's never a good sign when there's 50+ posts in this thread overnight.

For my part as this thread's resident Southern Baptist by theology, I hew to "Love thy neighbor as thyself." Jesus said it's not our place to judge and deem someone damned or saved, so I believe that God is a god of mercy, love, and kindness.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

The Phlegmatist posted:

How do you not know who Edward Feser is. Reading Feser is like the first step for arguing about Natural Law on the internet.

edward "waifu marriage is more real than gay marriage" fesser

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Man, I was hoping there was a really interesting discussion about justice going on :smith:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

Imagine four apples on the edge of a cliff. The gay agenda works the same way.

e: show me in the canon law where it says I can't marry an anime

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 8, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bel_Canto posted:

I get what he's trying to say, but this is the dumbest metaphor for it. Is it better to be good at maths or have a firm grasp of reality? Yeah, I just don't know, man.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Worthleast posted:

Man, I was hoping there was a really interesting discussion about justice going on :smith:

we talked about waifus instead

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Can we go back to talking about funny hats?

Or posting pictures of monks and animals?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Thirteen Orphans posted:

WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT ABORTION PLEASE DON'T GET OUR THREAD GASSED.

I wish it would be

This thread is a testament to my iniquities

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Paladinus posted:

I get what he's trying to say, but this is the dumbest metaphor for it. Is it better to be good at maths or have a firm grasp of reality? Yeah, I just don't know, man.

Feser is pretty good at explaining difficult philosophical concepts to a lay audience but drat is he obsessed with playing banal logic games like this.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Slimy Hog posted:

I can offer only one of the three, but I hope it's interesting nonetheless: the semantron is a percussion instrument that's used in many Orthodox monasteries as a call for prayer or during processions. Here's a video of a Romanian monk who plays a pretty mean semantron

Also this is more directed at Pellisworth, but I just finished reading this America piece about Black Elk, a Lakota medicine man who went on to become a Catholic teacher and missionary. The local diocese hopes to open up a canonisation process for him. What's your take on the issues raised by some in this regard that this would constitute an appropriation of Lakota culture by the Church? The article also mentions that the Diocese of Rapid City "uses smudging, the Native practice of burning sage or cedar for purification, and the Lakota Four Direction Song at the Chrism Mass". Could you elaborate a bit more on these practices, they sound fascinating? And do the Episcopalians do that as well? :)

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

System Metternich posted:

I can offer only one of the three, but I hope it's interesting nonetheless: the semantron is a percussion instrument that's used in many Orthodox monasteries as a call for prayer or during processions. Here's a video of a Romanian monk who plays a pretty mean semantron

This is incredible.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Re: condemnation and stuff: in a perfectly spherical church, isn't condemning sins cause people who sin emotional distress?

Also, that apple analogy is... ugh... how is marrying an anime more logically possible than marrying a person who solidly exists?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
He's saying that having the correct conception of marriage is more important than having the correct conception of who you're going to marry. Or put another way, changing the meaning of "marriage" as a sacred institution into something incompatible with God's plan is way worse than a personal delusion about who you're going to marry.

I find his position vile on its merits, but it makes perfect sense.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

System Metternich posted:

Also this is more directed at Pellisworth, but I just finished reading this America piece about Black Elk, a Lakota medicine man who went on to become a Catholic teacher and missionary. The local diocese hopes to open up a canonisation process for him. What's your take on the issues raised by some in this regard that this would constitute an appropriation of Lakota culture by the Church? The article also mentions that the Diocese of Rapid City "uses smudging, the Native practice of burning sage or cedar for purification, and the Lakota Four Direction Song at the Chrism Mass". Could you elaborate a bit more on these practices, they sound fascinating? And do the Episcopalians do that as well? :)

Well, I'm neither Lakota nor Catholic so I can't speak to whether or how it amounts to cultural appropriation. In practice, modern Lakota beliefs lie on a spectrum from fully pagan/traditional (explicitly not Christian) to irreligious to syncretic Christianity like the article is describing. Many Lakota are Catholic while participating in some traditional practices and beliefs such as the sweat lodge ceremony or a deep reverence/veneration for Grandmother Earth (unci maka).

It's important to put this all in the context of the last ~150 years since the Lakota were settled on reservations. Several of their leaders recognized the importance of a Western education for the future of their people. Spotted Tail famously was so impressed by the Jesuits when he visited Washington DC that he specifically requested they come teach the Lakota. That went alright for a couple decades until the US federal government adopted harsh policies suppressing Native culture and forcing integration. Practice of Native religion and ceremonies was banned and went underground, Lakota children were shipped off to boarding schools (many Catholic-run) where their culture and language were literally beaten out of them. The Catholic Church was complicit in this (as the article points out) and hasn't done much to apologize or reconcile with the Native peoples they helped oppress. Boarding and mission schools continued into the 1970s, many Lakota of my parents' generation went through boarding schools and have a very negative opinion of the US gov't and Catholic Church as a result.

In the last two or three decades there has been a lot of pushback from traditional Lakota teachers and groups to reclaim Lakota language, culture, and spirituality. Previously almost all written resources were by white people, often missionaries, so existing literature often didn't match genuine beliefs or had a strong bias.

In terms of cultural appropriation, there are a lot of traditional beliefs that were whitewashed or otherwise adapted to fit with Christianity. Again I can't really comment directly on what constitutes appropriation vs. syncretic religion, but here are some examples. Wakan Tanka, the Great Spirit / Great Mystery / Grandfather Spirit is often equated with Christian God the Father but in reality it's quite a different concept and traditional Lakota religion is polytheistic and involves ancestor veneration (I dunno about ancestor worship per se). White Buffalo Calf Woman is a legendary Lakota figure who taught the Lakota seven sacred rites (such as the ceremonial smoking of the peace pipe, sweat lodge, etc) and promised to return one day. So she gets equated with Jesus or Moses.

There are definitely Lakota who would be upset about the canonization of Black Elk since you're honoring someone who played a role in erasure of their traditional culture. I guess my main point would be that Lakota Christian syncretic beliefs are quite distinct from traditional Lakota spirituality and the Church should be careful not to suppress the latter by omission.

Lakota are suuuper into burning sage during ceremonies and events, I'm not aware of specific sage-burning rituals but they probably exist. In my experience it's pretty much like incense and I've only ever seen it done outdoors during dance season. During the summer months every town/village or even individual family groups will set up a semi-circular awning of cedar branches for shade and hold dances, feasts, and events in the center. There's always a couple people walking around the circle with burning sage. We don't do it inside our Episcopal Church and I suspect that's for fire safety or health reasons but I'm not sure. Pretty much any outdoor event will have sage burning, though. I see a dude selling bundles of sage for $1 each on my way to work each day if you want some :v:

Sage burning has been appropriated by a lot of New Age hippies who post YouTube videos on how to purify your house by burning sage. All I know is that burning sage is right up there with feasts, dancing, handshakes, sweatlodge, and drum circles in terms of things Lakota love to do, and I've never seen it done indoors.

We have elders and sometimes kids say prayers in Lakota during worship. The four cardinal directions each have a color associated with them (red yellow white and black) and a ton of spiritual significance. Honestly singing that song seems really close to paganism to me since each direction is associated with different spiritual beings and parts of Lakota cosmology. Unless Catholics are cool with praying to the thunder spirits in the west, or their ancestor star-people to the South?

Your question is kinda timely, tomorrow is Native American Day :)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i wish an orthodox native alaskan would show up in this thread

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

Unless Catholics are cool with praying to the thunder spirits in the west, or their ancestor star-people to the South?
st elijah is p much a thunder god in russian folktales, you could totally swing this

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
We Catholics haven't reached the Imperial Cult-level of incorporation of local beliefs... yet.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Hey, credit where it is due - we incorporated an actual imperial cult into the rite sixteen hundred years ago.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I find his position vile on its merits, but it makes perfect sense.

In this particular case it really doesn't since I can neither marry a man nor an anime body pillow in the Roman Catholic Church. And it's not like one would be more logical than the other because same-sex marriage is not marriage and human-anime body pillow marriage is also not marriage according the Church.

Pellisworth posted:

In terms of cultural appropriation, there are a lot of traditional beliefs that were whitewashed or otherwise adapted to fit with Christianity. Again I can't really comment directly on what constitutes appropriation vs. syncretic religion, but here are some examples. Wakan Tanka, the Great Spirit / Great Mystery / Grandfather Spirit is often equated with Christian God the Father but in reality it's quite a different concept and traditional Lakota religion is polytheistic and involves ancestor veneration (I dunno about ancestor worship per se). White Buffalo Calf Woman is a legendary Lakota figure who taught the Lakota seven sacred rites (such as the ceremonial smoking of the peace pipe, sweat lodge, etc) and promised to return one day. So she gets equated with Jesus or Moses.

I don't see how it would be cultural appropriation for the culture itself to retain its traditional practices even in a new religion; that's syncretism.

Considering what I know about Native American forced integration by schooling ("kill the Indian, save the child, etc.) I'm pretty sure the impetus of syncretism wasn't coming from the whites.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

I'm pretty sure the impetus of syncretism wasn't coming from the whites.

I'm not sure about that, missionaries and the educational system deliberately mapped Christianity onto Lakota beliefs to aid in conversion.

I'm teaching at a tribal college now, if there's interest in particular subjects I can ask some people in the Lakota studies department to get some more authoritative answers.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Slimy Hog posted:

I have to believe gopnik birb is orthodox:

Pellisworth posted:

We have elders and sometimes kids say prayers in Lakota during worship. The four cardinal directions each have a color associated with them (red yellow white and black) and a ton of spiritual significance. Honestly singing that song seems really close to paganism to me since each direction is associated with different spiritual beings and parts of Lakota cosmology. Unless Catholics are cool with praying to the thunder spirits in the west, or their ancestor star-people to the South?

Well, hegel tried to convert me by saying pagan gods could be saints, so I guess you could do the same with thunder spirits and the star people. The skyfather/great spirit - mother earth duality seems pretty clearly heretical, though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Well, hegel tried to convert me by saying pagan gods could be saints,
go get baptized and become Orthodox tias

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Hey, credit where it is due - we incorporated an actual imperial cult into the rite sixteen hundred years ago.
more like we did

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAIL posted:

go get baptized and become Orthodox tias

Go get naked and do mushrooms in the wood with me, then we'll talk

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not sure about that, missionaries and the educational system deliberately mapped Christianity onto Lakota beliefs to aid in conversion.

Damned Jesuits. That's how they get ya.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

HEY GAIL posted:

more like we did

True enough.

Question for you and the other orthodox types - call it a hunch, but I'm assuming that there's a significant correlation between "young orthodox laymen with big monastic style beards" and "people I might best avoid"? Or am I just being paranoid about Orthodox hipsters?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

True enough.

Question for you and the other orthodox types - call it a hunch, but I'm assuming that there's a significant correlation between "young orthodox laymen with big monastic style beards" and "people I might best avoid"? Or am I just being paranoid about Orthodox hipsters?
nah steer clear of those fuckers. best case scenario they're loving insufferable, worst case scenario is they're white nationalists.

remember this is a religion where an explicit doctrine is "think that you personally are the worst of sinners and judge nobody else" and not draw attention to yourself. these dudes might be actually sinning with what they do.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

True enough.

hegel has on multiple occasions referred to "earnest bearded dudes named who call themselves Nikephoros (birth name Chad)" in this thread. they're definitely a type and yeah they're generally awful

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I have a beard

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

I have a beard

what's her name?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

beard weirds are everywhere in the new calvinist movement

"yes, yes" i say as i dig into a tin of beard wax with the face of john calvin on the front "yeah baby this early modern sex machine is predestined to get laid"

Bel_Canto posted:

hegel has on multiple occasions referred to "earnest bearded dudes named who call themselves Nikephoros (birth name Chad)" in this thread. they're definitely a type and yeah they're generally awful

pretend I dug up the virgin cradle and the chad convert and reposted it

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

That was a wonderful writeup, thanks a lot Pellisworth!

Re: monks and animals, how's this?

https://twitter.com/giorgio_karam/status/916874197397397504

https://twitter.com/erlosungen/status/917051329482289153

And finally re: beards, John Calvin admittedly had a pretty badass one

https://twitter.com/Joanne_Paul_/status/915252940344107009

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

True enough.

In Eastern Europe it means they're either from a very small secluded town and/or it's a crazy millionaire.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Senju Kannon posted:

what's her name?

Shhhhhhh

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

pretend I dug up the virgin cradle and the chad convert and reposted it
other way around

also, i would vote for Shark Pope

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

True enough.

I have a pretty decently sized beard, not sure if it qualifies as "monastic style" though. I guess I wouldn't qualify though because I'm not technically Orthodox, just an inquirer. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

HEY GAIL posted:

st elijah is p much a thunder god in russian folktales, you could totally swing this

i mean saint brigid is literally, literally a celtic goddess

• Locked thread