Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

People quoting South Park AND doing the voices is a pet peeve

You are an adult, stop I'm so embarrassed for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Exact opposite here, both in Canada and Texas. Calling people "buddy" is condescending as gently caress. No one really says "pal" except one guy from Ontario I know, we always call each other pal for some reason. Friend is unusual but ok.

I just call everyone I don't know "Mack"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
use the Steven King nomenclature "neighbor"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The fact that you actually have to open a YouTube video to see the upload date on it. Often stuff comes up in the thumbnails after a video that I look at and think "That sounds entertaining. But is it something I haven't seen, or something I watched ages ago and don't remember off the top of my head?" and if there was a date there then I would know, but there isn't so I have to click it and waste valuable seconds (during which time I could be watching something important like Ellen DeGeneres rating babies or a magician performing tricks for dogs).

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I call my big old fat cat "buddy"

because he is my little buddy and I love him

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BioEnchanted posted:

I've never bothered to watch South Park, it seemed terrible from the get go and the few eps I saw bits of while my brother was watching on Netflix seemed utterly unlikable. All I know otherwise is from Cultural Osmosis.

It's bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A pet peeve I have is when it's hard to find information on stuff that should be better documented, like looking up Baron Samedi beyond the wikipedia entry, I found a website from someone from the area who deals in it, and her site just quotes the wikipedia entry. I'd have thought there'd be a bunch of sites about voodoo considering how much it's been used in pop-culture. I was trying to find sites to corroborate the info due to how unreliable wikipedia can be, but there is very little info on the Hatian Loas. Makes it hard to research the folklore, most of the links are about the loving James Bond character.

Heres what I found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Samedi and http://voodoo.101projects101days.com/loa/baron-samedi/

He seems like a decent guy though funnily enough, Loa of disruption and debauchery, sure, but watches over the dead to make sure they stay dead and don't get Voodoo-Zombied, and heals people (if he's in the right mood and you offer a cigar and rum, he's helpful but not selfless, quid pro quo), and leads the dead to the afterlife. I didn't expect him to seem so... relatively benign given the media depictions are always given to people who are just evil, like Dr Facilier and the aforementioned Bond character. He's known for chasing mortal girls sure, but better than Zeus, as he's apparently not known for rape at least (that I could find, again not many sources come up in google). Just cheating on his wife. Still an rear end in a top hat, but you know what they say about power. I think he deserves better depictions myself.

I guess a related peeve is cultural appropriation muddling the message and resulting in inaccurate depictions becoming the norm.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Oct 7, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

starkebn posted:

use the Steven King nomenclature "neighbor"

I prefer to follow Judge Dredd and call everyone "citizen".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda a forums pet peeve: I get mildly annoyed whenever anyone comments about CineD being a weird place with weird opinions.

First, look at the macro level, people: we've payed money to post on a web forum in 2017; a forum for a website whose owner likes to joke that is behind the times in terms of attention. On the scale of normal to esoteric, we're all collectively closer to the estoeric/weird/whatever levels.

Zoom in a little bit more, and pretty much every subforum we've got here has the sort of weird opinions that would make your average person go :stare: over it. Games has people that remember Planescape: Torment, and and they remember it as a fun and deep game instead of high-strength electronic Unisom. Fallout threads are filled with people who passively resent that Bethesda made the game series respectable without bothering with doing what Obsidian did. Half of WoW's threads are mad about something, most of it flies in the face of authorial intent (especially when the game has cinematics that flat-out tell you what to agree with!) or active player base opinion. Your average TVIV poster probably can't stand that show about a bunch of nerds that is insanely well liked by the population. Star Trek threads regularly have people expressing sincere confusion that their parents/friends/whatever like Voyager and can't stand DS9.

Like, come on. Why is CineD treated so weirdly, when every subforum we've got here is weird as poo poo?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I am not saying forums like Games is not bad, because they are in many ways, but CD is just so far up their own rear end it becomes noteworthy. The posters there are like every stereotype about people who call movies "films" that you can think of. Every one of them I picture wearing a beret wearing sunglasses inside smoking a cigarette and sipping on espresso while they watch transformers and autistically pick it apart.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's because SMG and K. Waste do their thing there.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Games has people that remember Planescape: Torment, and and they remember it as a fun and deep game instead of high-strength electronic Unisom.

leading off with a terrible opinion about a great game that met with universal acclaim

just what you'd expect from a CineD poster

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
CD isn't weird, it's poo poo

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I am not saying forums like Games is not bad, because they are in many ways, but CD is just so far up their own rear end it becomes noteworthy. The posters there are like every stereotype about people who call movies "films" that you can think of. Every one of them I picture wearing a beret wearing sunglasses inside smoking a cigarette and sipping on espresso while they watch transformers and autistically pick it apart.

That's what I'm saying: if you get annoyed by that kinda stuff, you'll find the exact sort of up-their-own-rear end oddness on basically every other subforum we've got. Picking apart Transformers, bringing up metacritic scores for a game that people didn't play because Diablo 2 came out a year later, it's basically the same thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
CineD's problem is that everyone who posts there is a snippy jerk whose main goal is apparently to be as sanctimonious as possible.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My peeve is people who believe their opinions to be somehow correct even when they disagree with my superior opinions.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Deconstructing movies isn't very enlightening to me because I think a lot of the CineD people could apply the same treatment to literally any movie and suddenly every movie is genius and nothing matters anymore. If I could go back in time to murder someone it wouldn't be Hitler, I would take out Roland Barthes so he never writes his death of the author essay.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The "everything is about anything" point of argument that's popular there is wearisome, it's basically become a really boring and squabbly debate club.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MisterBibs posted:

bringing up metacritic scores for a game that people didn't play because Diablo 2 came out a year later
Did you just say that people didn't play Planescape: Torment because another game was going to drop a year later?

What. There are a million reasons people wouldn't play that game but that makes zero sense.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

please do not engage mister bibs

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda a forums pet peeve: I get mildly annoyed whenever anyone comments about CineD being a weird place with weird opinions.

First, look at the macro level, people: we've payed money to post on a web forum in 2017; a forum for a website whose owner likes to joke that is behind the times in terms of attention. On the scale of normal to esoteric, we're all collectively closer to the estoeric/weird/whatever levels.

Zoom in a little bit more, and pretty much every subforum we've got here has the sort of weird opinions that would make your average person go :stare: over it. Games has people that remember Planescape: Torment, and and they remember it as a fun and deep game instead of high-strength electronic Unisom. Fallout threads are filled with people who passively resent that Bethesda made the game series respectable without bothering with doing what Obsidian did. Half of WoW's threads are mad about something, most of it flies in the face of authorial intent (especially when the game has cinematics that flat-out tell you what to agree with!) or active player base opinion. Your average TVIV poster probably can't stand that show about a bunch of nerds that is insanely well liked by the population. Star Trek threads regularly have people expressing sincere confusion that their parents/friends/whatever like Voyager and can't stand DS9.

Like, come on. Why is CineD treated so weirdly, when every subforum we've got here is weird as poo poo?

I can't say for sure, but I suspect that it's that CD is about ordinarily plain movies, but the posters realize they have to be different to stand out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People who feel they must give information I don’t need when answering a simple question.

When do you want to meet?
7:30. I pick up the kids at 4 and then music lessons at 430 and then John has a haircut at 6 and and and and

I don’t give a poo poo about any of that shut the gently caress up

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
People hotlinking images that don't show up on https.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Olive! posted:

In addition to this, image hosts which don't properly support https. Looking at you, Steam! For that matter, any website that doesn't support https. You can get an SSL cert easily and for free these days, and you expect me to log in with a password on an unencrypted connection? While I'm ragging on out-of-date websites, I may as well throw in some hate for Flash too. As well as all the innate problems Flash has, my browser's attempts to avoid them will often enough result in whatever poo poo is still trying to use Flash not working at all.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Olive! posted:

As an addition to my own peeve: people who will quote a post and add nothing but one of these hotlinked images, leaving me with no idea whether they've done it or just emptyquoted a post. Then I have to click "quote" on their post just to check if there's supposed to be an image there or not.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

People who feel they must give information I don’t need when answering a simple question.

When do you want to meet?
7:30. I pick up the kids at 4 and then music lessons at 430 and then John has a haircut at 6 and and and and

I don’t give a poo poo about any of that shut the gently caress up

It's an automatic response to ward off the wall of questions some people add like "oh I was hoping to meet earlier. What are you doing at 6?" that I feel like everyone has had to deal with. Some people are incapable of taking a time for an answer and need to know why

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did you just say that people didn't play Planescape: Torment because another game was going to drop a year later?

What. There are a million reasons people wouldn't play that game but that makes zero sense.

Honestly, it was a typo / dumbass fusion of three thoughts or so, but I left it because who the gently caress wasn't excited / just waiting for D2 on the rear end-end of 1999? poo poo, it wasn't even a year, it was six months.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
People who need help, but refuse it...then kinda take it piece by piece.

My coworker bought an aquarium a few months ago, and I helped him set it up. Then he got a deal on a new, 55 gallon setup, with all kinds of add on poo poo, and I told him sweet, I can even help you move and set it up today. But he insisted he had it fine, and picked it up yesterday. ....and then called me about 6 different times after he picked it up, asking questions because of so many things going wrong, the worst of it being a support brace snapped because he LIFTED THE loving TANK WITHOUT HELP up onto the stand.

So over the phone I help him, and set poo poo set up, and tell him what to do, and offer to come over and help. He turns it down, says he has it. Then can't find some supplies, so I tell him to come over and take some of mine (what loving Home Depot runs out of playsand?), and again, I offer to help, because he has to completely reset up a new tank from a now broken one...and nope, he's got it.

Cue this morning he's calling to ask about a glass lid that broke, and I want to strangle the bitch. I'll loving help you! I said I would! Why do you insist on skiing uphill, motherfucker, and only calling me after poo poo breaks because you refused help the first time!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cowslips Warren posted:

People who need help, but refuse it...then kinda take it piece by piece.

One of my mother's bothersome habits is to refuse help when it's offered then complain that nobody helped her.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Here's a forum peeve: people who respond to another post with nothing else but a Youtube link. No description of what the video is. Just a loving link I have to click and wait for another page to load, and if the title looks worthwhile then maybe watch. Sometimes the title sounds promising, so I now have to watch a goddamn ad, then the ad finishes and I find out the videos more than ten minutes long and gently caress that I ain't got time for that poo poo...

Sorry, there was no other way to express my frustration than a terrible run-on sentence. Those peeve me too. Oh, and people who don't capitalize or punctuate. It comes across as dismissive and condescending to me.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

im pretty sure more people have embedded youtube videos on than don't

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I'm pretty sure more people (on sa) have adblock than don't too.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When people buy me a red text avatar about some drunkpost i made months after the fact. Like yeah it was a bad post, but how big of a loser do you have to be to comb through my post history that far back and get triggered enough to spend money to make me look like a moron? I do a good enough job at that on my own, you don't have to help.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Where is that from?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Where is that from?

That asian guy that got roughed up when he refused to give up his seat on an overbooked flight. I wanted to be contrarian and take the side of the airline and say that he wouldn't have gotten beaten up if he had just did what they said, which is true.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

gently caress off

That asian guy that got roughed up when he refused to give up his seat on an overbooked flight. I wanted to be contrarian and take the side of the airline and say that he wouldn't have gotten beaten up if he had just did what they said, which is true.
gently caress off

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Olive! posted:

gently caress off

gently caress off

rude

e: also: guy who bought my avatar spotted?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Lol I barely have enough money for myself, like hell I'm spending it on some rear end in a top hat on an internet forum.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FELD1 posted:

Here's a forum peeve: people who respond to another post with nothing else but a Youtube link. No description of what the video is. Just a loving link I have to click and wait for another page to load, and if the title looks worthwhile then maybe watch. Sometimes the title sounds promising, so I now have to watch a goddamn ad, then the ad finishes and I find out the videos more than ten minutes long and gently caress that I ain't got time for that poo poo...

If you're on a computer, install YouTube Link Title. And uBlock Origin. If you're on a phone then I guess this doesn't help at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jfc