Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I need to find a way to get me some of those Tapatios, they're the only ones we don't have here and are apparently the best???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Anyone tried the King Oscar mackerel? I really like the Wild Planet ones but the KO are northern atlantic which is supposedly lower mercury content.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

cenotaph posted:

Anyone tried the King Oscar mackerel? I really like the Wild Planet ones but the KO are northern atlantic which is supposedly lower mercury content.

I didn't like the KO mackerel, despite loving mackerel sushi. I found it very greasy, and bland and "fishy" at the same time. I've tried one or two other brands of canned mackerel that come in small cylindrical cans like tomato paste, and I've never been too fond of any of them, in fact.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I was drunk the other night and I'm in love with brisling sardines. Two layers or bust.

I had two tins and slurped up the oil to. Yum.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Roki B posted:

I was drunk the other night and I'm in love with brisling sardines. Two layers or bust.

I had two tins and slurped up the oil to. Yum.

There is something about oily foods when you're mostly drunk that just scream "eat me".

naem
May 29, 2011

The ko Mediterranean mackerel I had was great but it may have just been all that delicious Mediterranean they added

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I love the mackerel but have nothing to compare it to :v:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I got KO Mackerel in a Taster's Kit and really liked it, enough to annoy the grocery manager by handing him the included UPC card and asked him to stock it, but alas it has not been added to the shelf.

I really like Wild Planet's Mackerel though even more than their regular 'dines. I can't really fairly compare them since I've only had KO mackerel once. Also Wild Planet White Anchovies are fantastic but I don't find them often.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Ocean State Job Lot is 40% off everything in the store under $10 so I bought a bunch of Ocean Queen canned smoked oysters and scallops for 90 cents each. They had sardines too but it was mostly Seasons brand which I've never been fond of. I regret not buying the jarred Riga Sprats they had in stock last time I was there.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

pahuyuth posted:

I got KO Mackerel in a Taster's Kit and really liked it, enough to annoy the grocery manager by handing him the included UPC card and asked him to stock it, but alas it has not been added to the shelf.

I really like Wild Planet's Mackerel though even more than their regular 'dines. I can't really fairly compare them since I've only had KO mackerel once. Also Wild Planet White Anchovies are fantastic but I don't find them often.

Same, with the taster kit and upc card. Amazon finally has the KO mackerel in stock.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Male Tears posted:

Ocean State Job Lot is 40% off everything in the store under $10 so I bought a bunch of Ocean Queen canned smoked oysters and scallops for 90 cents each. They had sardines too but it was mostly Seasons brand which I've never been fond of. I regret not buying the jarred Riga Sprats they had in stock last time I was there.

Whoa, nice! What a time for me to be out of town.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

LingcodKilla posted:

Catch your own fishy stuff.

i bought some squid at the grocery store because of this and your post in the fishing thread about them. whats the best way to cook them

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PokeJoe posted:

i bought some squid at the grocery store because of this and your post in the fishing thread about them. whats the best way to cook them

I prefer cutting them into strips and just pan frying them with a little butter and garlic. Toss them over rice if you feel a need for carbs or just eat straight. Did you buy them already cleaned?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

No, I had to clean them. Split them in to tentacles and top tubes

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I took one for the aussie team today and tried black and gold brand sardines from the local IGA. I expected they would be not so good due to the $1 price tag, (KO and John west are normally closer to $3 and I usually wait for them to be on sale for $2)
So, B&G sardines in tomato sauce, 125g. I got tomato because I expected the oil used in the oil packed ones to be bland (I'll only get them in oil if olive oil used).
Trip report: Only 3 'dines in there, but not 3 large ones. There was a huge single one that took up most of the tin and then a medium one and a small one, WTF? First time I had to remove the backbone with spines on the large one.
Pretty bland sardines, but the tomato sauce OK. Overall not good for the sardines on toast I had for breakfast on this great bathurst race day. I ended up putting some olives and sriracha on it.
If I do a pasta or another recipe and decide to chuck sardines on them I might try some more tins to see if they are all the same weird sizing. Otherwise I'll try to compare to woolworth's homebrand sardines.

So still John west is the best, then KO, safcol, brunswick(which I can often get for $1 anyway), B&G.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 8, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PokeJoe posted:

No, I had to clean them. Split them in to tentacles and top tubes

Well how did it go?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

LingcodKilla posted:

Well how did it go?

Pretty good. The tentacles and beak are pretty easy to remove. I slide a knife up the mantle and split it open, then scraped out the guts. The cartilage thing in there comes out pretty easy too. I didn't remove the skin. Should I? I saw that it's edible but some people remove it. I'm gonna marinate the pieces in some soy sauce and fry and or grill some tomorrow.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My favorite part is the tentacles because I can chase my kids around with a mouthful of them poking out asking for a kiss.
I don't bother removing the skin.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
are tinned smoked oysters cool around here? They really hit the spot on a saltine as a midnight snack for me

Gonna try this for a light dinner tonight

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/10/bar-bites-grilled-sardines-with-lemon-garlic.html

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

T.S. Smelliot posted:

are tinned smoked oysters cool around here? They really hit the spot on a saltine as a midnight snack for me

Gonna try this for a light dinner tonight

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/10/bar-bites-grilled-sardines-with-lemon-garlic.html

I LOVE tinned smoked oysters! I just discovered Aldi has tinned smoked oysters with hot chili peppers, so I had to get a can of those. I was surprised to find a whole, long, red chili pepper marinating in the can, full of seeds. I tried eating it on its own, but it wasn't very good, so I spat it out. But it added a nice flavor to those oysters.

Funny thing, when I got married, my in-laws paid a lady to create gift baskets for some of their visiting relatives, full of little snacks they could enjoy in their hotel rooms. For some reason, the lady put cans of smoked oysters in the gift baskets, and almost everyone in my wife's family was disappointed and repulsed. My mother-in-law said she was embarrassed to be giving away cat food! I pleaded with her to collect the cans from anyone who didn't want them, as I would happily take them all.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Illegal Hen
I also like smoked oysters. I think a tin is great in a salad, with the oil/juice making a good dressing base.

naem
May 29, 2011

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We call em meat balls. The birds go at them from the surface so they are easy to spot from miles away. Great way to fish for salmon.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Huh, we call them boils.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Why isn't science giving us the ability to swoop through bait balls ourselves and slurp them little sardines up fresh from the ocean?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Overwined posted:

Why isn't science giving us the ability to swoop through bait balls ourselves and slurp them little sardines up fresh from the ocean?

Get you a net and a boat!

This is how we caught pogy earlier in the year.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That looks really good but man exactly how much olive oil is involved in that dish

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Fabricated posted:

That looks really good but man exactly how much olive oil is involved in that dish

Just a splash.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I realized how much more fatty the brisling sardines are. I'm in love.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Some glorious nippon sushi 'dines tonight. Three dads in attendance.
https://imgur.com/gallery/nsEsG

JacksAngryBiome fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 9, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I still like the big Wild Planet 'dines better than the little bristling ones. So meaty, with big crunchy bones

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
My sister gave me some white anchovies. What should I cook with them thread?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've heard of fine dining, but 'dine dining?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Mozi posted:

i've heard of fine dining, but 'dine dining?

Why, it's the whole point of this thread, friend!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe posted:

Pretty good. The tentacles and beak are pretty easy to remove. I slide a knife up the mantle and split it open, then scraped out the guts. The cartilage thing in there comes out pretty easy too. I didn't remove the skin. Should I? I saw that it's edible but some people remove it. I'm gonna marinate the pieces in some soy sauce and fry and or grill some tomorrow.

Update: Pretty good, didn't grill any because it was dark out so I fried all the pieces. The tentacles are best because you get a gradient of fried crispiness down the length of the tentacle.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Brunswick kippers had decent texture but not enough smokiness. I'm gonna try again with whatever Trader Joe's has. I'm thinking kippers and red onions with cream cheese on a bagel. I ate the Brunswicks plain before.

IDecided I'm gonna start 'dining at work but I'll be a gent and bring it in tupperware so the trash doesn't stink.

Also, I need more sardine recipes. Any have ideas? Something without eggs!! Right now my current scheme is mabo tofu sauce with sardines. I feel like the crumbly texture of the ground meat can be substituted with chunked up fish. I have a ton of Wild Planet on hand but it's in olive oil so that might be weird. I'm trying to get really funky without having to buy more because I just reupped my stash at Costco.

My Med KOs usually go directly into my mouth. As soon as the can opens, I black out and wake up over the sink

LongDarkNight posted:

Use them to accent dishes like you would fish fish or worchestire, imho. Also if you are a salt freak, try a nibble of one of those bad boys on a cracker, you might like it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

If they're white anchovies in vinegar (like boquerones), don't cook them at all! They're very mild and not like salty like canned anchovies. Make like a Spaniard and eat them with a toothpick by themselves.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm assuming you got regular white anchovies but do what the guy above me said if they're not

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
TIL: Polar brand kippered herring is delicious. Wanted to drink that tasty broth left in the can.

Also I've really been wanting to try smoked oysters, maybe tossed in some pasta, but my HEB just has Crown Prince and one other brand and looks like they're all caught in China. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoV7lw7YBG4