Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
http://es.pn/2xLEAim

Jeff Goodman talked to a few coaches about why they would or wouldn't take the Louisville job. It basically came down to money/prestige vs. dealing with the fallout. Older guys wouldn't touch it because of how much time it will take to get back to any sort of relevance. It's gonna have to be someone young and hungry enough to deal the sanctions but wants the big name job, and hope they do well enough to stay on once things start to get back to normal.

I would think Gregg Marshall is in the former group. They're not going to get someone from a program doing that well to come deal with the bullshit. And he's old enough by the time they're good again he's on his way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
It's also going to depend on your career arc. Someone with enough hype (and shoe apparel support :ssh:) can avoid the job for now and jump back in once Louisville's weathered the storm. Meanwhile, if you look like you're a career mid-major coach and this is your one shot at coaching in a major conference/making some real money, you have to jump on it, and you can always play the "I had no chance due to sanctions" card after the fact to get your next job. I don't know enough about the lower ranks to drop names but you could probably pick a name out of a hat.

My guess is they end up with a Gottfried-type of coach for the next few years while self-punishing enough to make the NCAA happy. A veteran coach with major conference experience who can try and keep the ship steady but someone who you can cast aside once it's time to compete for recruits/championships again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
As a Missouri fan who was staring down sanctions and bad APR rates a few short years ago I have the perfect man in mind to see Louisville through this difficult time :v:

Oh god, the last three years, they did things to me man.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If Louisville self punishes their way out of NCAA action over this just disband the NCAA and let free market college basketball take over.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The players got a standing ovation at last night's game...for some reason? Crowd happy they took bribes?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ericcrawford/status/914929182479667206

So it begins.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Can't wait for the discovery phase of that lawsuit. Not sure Pitino wants to go there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/patrickmccaff22/status/916084236607557633

Shocking recruiting news out of Iowa City. He's Top 30 in the current Rivals 2019 rankings so if that holds he'll also be our highest rated recruit since at least 2003 (which is the farthest the Rivals archive goes back). Fran married well

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 6, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...fair-paid-leave

Huh, so Louisville has no assistants now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'll thae that job. Just teach em to shoot 3s and dunks only.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jesus, Louisville is probably hosed for 3-4 years at least. Didn't like all of their recruits for next year switch teams?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'll thae that job. Just teach em to shoot 3s and dunks only.

Implement the Grinnell System, tia

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Good. Hopefully they'll foreclose the entire city too.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bird in a Blender posted:

Jesus, Louisville is probably hosed for 3-4 years at least. Didn't like all of their recruits for next year switch teams?

yeah they lost both of next years recruits and I believe the early commit they had for 2019 as well.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

TBH, provided there's no lingering damage from NCAA sanctions, college hoops is the quickest way to recover due to the one and done system. Kentucky from Gillespie to Cal is the premier example.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That relies upon having a school/superdonor base that's willing to tolerate such a coach/system.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/916324472550055938

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bye Coach K.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Bye Coach K.

God please, I don't ask much

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Bye Coach K.

Like he'd ever be taken alive.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I like to think the last thing that went through his mind, other than that bullet, is to wonder how in the hell Tom Izzo got the best of him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There's nothing Coach K would possibly be fired for, also he will never die.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Bye Coach K.
If this were to happen we'd need a celebration thread stickied to the top of SAS forever.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
lmao if you guys don't think Coach K keeps Jeff Capel around to have a fall guy

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
So https://twitter.com/connermitchell0/status/918305118780645376

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
mdsalkdxzmc c:LXmldsmcz>Xmc:LXZmc:LXmcL:XZmcLmcs:ldXZMCCMCLXMJDlsakdmxc.kZMXc.XZmcKXC.,cxm.cdsm

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

I'm just going to ask what's going through all of you good posters' mind and ask how hosed Kansas is going to be at the end of this.

Probably Magic posted:

mdsalkdxzmc c:LXmldsmcz>Xmc:LXZmc:LXmcL:XZmcLmcs:ldXZMCCMCLXMJDlsakdmxc.kZMXc.XZmcKXC.,cxm.cdsm

I see you have answered your own question, my good sir.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:lol:

USC got subpoenaed further today, as did a bunch of other schools

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

FizFashizzle posted:

Bye Coach K.

this is all i care about with these investigations tbh

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You should probably read the article, there is no new information.

quote:

The presence of documents responsive to the Kansan’s request, filed on Sept. 27, does not necessarily implicate the University in wrongdoing, but appears to contradict what Kansas Athletics officials said after the scandal broke.

The Kansan asked for “all documents and communications within this investigation related to the University of Kansas and any of its sponsorship deals with Adidas or any investigation of Kansas basketball coaches.”

When a sophomore rings up the FBI and requests all information relating to Kansas and gets the response

quote:

“The records responsive to your request are law enforcement records; there is a pending or prospective law enforcement proceeding relevant to these responsive records, and release of the information in these responsive records could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings

You don't write "Breaking News" unless of course you're a journalism student working for a student newspaper.

quote:

Later in the letter, FBI Section Chief David M. Hardy states, “This is a standard notification that is given to all our requesters and should not be taken as an indication that excluded records do, or do not, exist.”

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 12, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
imo Kansas is guilty as hell

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

imo Kansas is guilty as hell

They're guilty of something even if it isn't this quite obviously.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If I call up the FBI and ask them to provide documentation about their investigation into MCC Penn Valley basketball program their response will be

"“The records responsive to your request are law enforcement records; there is a pending or prospective law enforcement proceeding relevant to these responsive records, and release of the information in these responsive records could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings"

But Kansas is definitely guilty of something. Just what it is or if it will ever get uncovered will have to wait for another day. So just keep hanging on, Missouri. Some day.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

But Kansas is definitely guilty of something. Just what it is or if it will ever get uncovered will have to wait for another day. So just keep hanging on, Missouri. Some day.

I'm calling for the FBI to start an investigation into toupee sales as we speak.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They're plugs!

:argh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm waiting on the investigation on how a man can sweat so much.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

holy poo poo everybody shut up, shut up Lutz.

KU is going to play MU. In basketball.

For charity.

This year.

This month.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, not how I saw this coming about but cool?

I guess Hurricane relief broke Bill Self's cold, black heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well probably someone said look you aren't helping MU, it's an exhibition game. You're helping people who have lost everything.

Many were all for “never again” but for hurricane benefit they can put that aside. Plus it won’t count for the season sooooo we can convince ourselves we don’t really help them out. We help out charity. A chance to beat the poo poo out of MU with no benefit to their school.

That is how they'll sell it and just writing it sold myself on it.

• Locked thread