Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You should learn to have good anime-dark-horse-sense, like me. hides rage of bahamut virgin soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It just makes me laugh because it reads exactly like the reactions to Divine Gate a year ago, where I went "seems like a meh season, guess I'll try this" and it became known as not just bad but REALLY bad.

All I want is simple things: Action, a little suspense, and at least a balanced gender ratio.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

It just makes me laugh because it reads exactly like the reactions to Divine Gate a year ago, where I went "seems like a meh season, guess I'll try this" and it became known as not just bad but REALLY bad.

All I want is simple things: Action, a little suspense, and at least a balanced gender ratio.

Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous may fit your bill.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fangz posted:

You should learn to have good anime-dark-horse-sense, like me. hides rage of bahamut virgin soul
1. Bakemonogatari was considered a dark horse when it became 2009's AOTY.
2. I'd expect Ancient Magus' Bride to fill this season's spot.
3. Would Kino's Journey be considered dark horse or established?
4. I wonder if UQ Holder will....hold up. :rimshot:
5. Did I miss anything else?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i don't see what is tonally inconsistent about characters created to mirror leo and his sister. the eps didn't suddenly excise doug hummer, zapp, or any of the other sources of random wacky poo poo either. episode 11 is definitely one of the best in the entire series, and that's probably at the point where you will genuinely care about white, whereas before she is only a likable side character. i don't think the manga is some sacred cow that requires we devote all 12 episodes of the anime to adapting its goofy episodic stories, and the black/white stuff basically exists as a second two-parter a la Z's Last Day. all this to say i understand the lovely production delays may have turned people off at the end, but hating the original stuff because its original is dumb.

I tried watching episode 11 again last night and my eyes glazed over just like the last two times. I like White and her relationship with Leonardo but Black sucks and I can't give a poo poo. I also don't know if there being another supernatural brother sister relationship actually adds anything to the show besides another supernatural brother sister relationship. Even if it's thematically called for I think it was presented in a way that was different from even Leonardo's relationship with his sister. That's what I meant by tonally inconsistent

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Like I said it all comes down to how you feel about the original characters and it's up to Drothman if he cares enough

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If anything it speaks to how good BBB was that people still feel this strongly about it even a year later.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

chumbler posted:

Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous may fit your bill.

Really? A rough image search brings up these team action shots of what appears to be about ten women and one big guy. I mean I can get down with that if the show is good enough and it's not just for the boys at home to play "find your type". The only reason I brought up gender ratio is because I usually avoid a show if it looks like it has a cast intended for gently caress/Marry/Kill.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Caught the first ep of Ancient Magus' Bride today. Not sure how I feel about it yet - but to be fair I don't think the show wants me to be sure how I feel about it yet. Chise and Elias' relationship/romance is obviously going to be the key to the whole thing, but however Elias conducts himself at home, the fact that their relationship started with him buying Chise at a slave auction means they're going to have to write this thing very carefully indeed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Craptacular! posted:

Really? A rough image search brings up these team action shots of what appears to be about ten women and one big guy. I mean I can get down with that if the show is good enough and it's not just for the boys at home to play "find your type". The only reason I brought up gender ratio is because I usually avoid a show if it looks like it has a cast intended for gently caress/Marry/Kill.

I don't see why having fewer female characters prevents this.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I've only read a little bit of the manga but it was my impression that they're all androgynous and nongendered

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the characters in houseki are nongendered, they're all gem people

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Caught the first ep of Ancient Magus' Bride today. Not sure how I feel about it yet - but to be fair I don't think the show wants me to be sure how I feel about it yet. Chise and Elias' relationship/romance is obviously going to be the key to the whole thing, but however Elias conducts himself at home, the fact that their relationship started with him buying Chise at a slave auction means they're going to have to write this thing very carefully indeed.

The manga is great so the show will probably also be good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So yes watched first episodes of Anime Gataris and Blend S, both were good fun with cute designs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of houseki, I noticed that the moon people look like lotus root when sliced up. I assume that must be symbolic of something, but I don't know what.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

juuni taisen

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

How is it that this keeps happening to the shows I circle as possibly interesting?

kings game is actually fine and you should ignore that other post

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fangz posted:

I want to watch Sailor Moon but the gender ratio means it must be a harem show starting Tuxedo Mask

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I tried watching episode 11 again last night and my eyes glazed over just like the last two times. I like White and her relationship with Leonardo but Black sucks and I can't give a poo poo. I also don't know if there being another supernatural brother sister relationship actually adds anything to the show besides another supernatural brother sister relationship. Even if it's thematically called for I think it was presented in a way that was different from even Leonardo's relationship with his sister. That's what I meant by tonally inconsistent

black is bad and really aggravates the fact that ep12 does not need to be 40 minutes. i don't think i can really defend the finale other than it having some cool bits interspersed throughout. and i guess i'm coming at ep11 as "this is an incredible episode of anime that rie matsumoto has directed" and maybe that's a bit too much bias when the average person may not care about white, let alone the person behind the camera. the premiere of season 2 ended up being the strongest i think the show has ever been, so now i'll just obsess over that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like all the set-up for bbb's anime original plot which is basically everything added in the first 11 episodes but the finale didn't really pull it all together for me and i'm not super fond of it.

That's still the vast majority of the show though where I thought the anime original stuff was really solid.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fangz posted:

I, as a straight man,

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

umaru s2 has a great ed, it's a shame that literally nobody is going to bother watching it

Belteshazzar
Oct 4, 2004

我が生涯に
一片の悔い無し
Watched so far:

• Dies irae 00 - Looks cool as hell but I have no idea what is going on (I don't think you're supposed to yet though). If you're the type of person who liked shows like Hellsing or Shakugan no Shana where everything is fraught with portent and every character is a badass with unnecessarily long and pompous titles but don't care about the rest of it being kind of dumb then this may be one to keep an eye on, otherwise you'll probably hate it. (I'm dumb that way so I'll probably keep watching.)
  • Blend S - Very predictable comedy setup but done well and I laughed a lot. Not sure if the premise can sustain a whole season.

Looking forward to:

• Ancient Magus Bride - I haven't read the manga but I watched the three prequel OVAs recently and was very impressed by the writing and overall atmosphere, if they can keep that up with good production values this should be an AOTY contender.
  • Children of the Whales - I generally love far-out atmospheric fantasy stuff like this so the summary and PV looked interesting but I don't know anything else about it yet.

Belteshazzar fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 8, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

children of the whales aired today but it's a netflix show, so hope for fansubs or wait until 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lemon-Lime posted:

They definitely do, but that's consistent with Kino using "boku." I guess there's probably some people who don't know there's ambiguity there since it's a new series so they wanted to preserve it.

If they wanted to preserve ambiguity, they'd have had Hermes remain ambiguous rather than using a male pronoun. The translator obviously just didn't know and made an educated guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Elias is a decent guy who means well, but he's also an ancient thorn-demon with a totally inhuman mindset who's had minimal human interaction outside of his job, and he has no idea what the gently caress he's doing where Chise is concerned. Any creepy vibes (well, creepy vibes not involving being a skull-faced demon) are due to incompetence rather than malice.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There's a surprise Natsume's Book of Friends episode our today and it's a good one. It's some kind of OVA thing and there's a second one coming soon! Praise Natsume.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Colonel posted:

umaru s2 has a great ed, it's a shame that literally nobody is going to bother watching it

challenge accepted

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

VostokProgram posted:

challenge accepted

Congrats, now you're next in line for ADTRW Modship.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is that what happens when you pay for an anime strike subscription

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

The Colonel posted:

I watched it and it was as cute and great as the first season. I mostly felt stupid cause I was just going through other animes at the time and I guess there's some other anime that came out today (or yesterday) and it was about some dude that's into sister banging or some poo poo...and I seriously thought Umaru was going into some weird direction or a very long con/misdirection thing for the first five minutes. It was really confusing...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh the episode got a lot stronger when it moved away from the stuff with umaru and her brother

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Colonel posted:

tbh the episode got a lot stronger when it moved away from the stuff with umaru and her brother

Umaru and her brother has the last interesting relationship in the series. This is not helped by the fact that Umaru is the worst of the four main girls.

The OP of the new season is a little odd to and it's miles behind S1's

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it does have one of the best eds of the season though

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Land of the Lustrous rules. I was expecting just melancholy action stuff, but the script was pretty spunky to offset all that and it worked. And yea the action was cool.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
For me this is already the best season since Kemofriends season. Kekkai Sensen :h:

Land of Lustrous is fascinating, a reminder why the tests are three episodes and not three minutes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It feels like it's been forever since I watched any anime but really it's been like 5 months. Finishing Rakugo and binging Made in Abyss was a hell of a way to get me back in tho.

Also caught the first episode of the new Kino's Journey (not sure how I feel about her new design yet) and finished off Virgin Soul... which was kind of disappointing.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 9, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

If anything it speaks to how good BBB was that people still feel this strongly about it even a year later.

For me it was Matsumoto's style in directing the show that sold it for me, especially after the knockout that was Kyousogiga. It's just a shame that the story didn't hold up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first episode of Garo was alright. I kinda feel bad for it, an urban fantasy action series airing the same time as BBB. But the characters and plot hook were really generic, so I think that's gonna be an anime I only watch more of if people start saying it's gets really good as it goes.

• Locked thread