Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

Yes but this woiuld mean Chris put more thought into anything than 'saw Top Gun that one time'

Interesting movie trivia. The volleyball scene with Ben was scrapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Bootcha posted:

So hey everyone I hope you all are fine to include people who are goons here to the people just casually browsing this shining example of community interaction.

So I wanted to give people a heads up if you haven't seen anything beyond this thread, but I occasionally ask for facts and clarification in the attempt to produce a fair and balanced account of the Star Citizen Saga.

You can check it out in this thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832959

Cool and useful stuff will be credited to you as a Research Associate in the final product. Your name will be on YouTube for a few seconds.

I want to remind people that everything is on fire and you should all panic in the most physical and emotional way.

And remember your Star Citizen may be used as a flotation token to be reimbursed in the case of a water situation.

May your pain triple every second.

And also get a refund.

I've dug up some old links and posted them in that thread.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Posted shortly after the removal of the second post

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Interesting movie trivia. The volleyball scene with Ben was scrapped.
Nah, he just sold the footage to Guillermo del Toro. Entirely coincidentally, I'm looking forward to Pacific Rim 2.

fake edit: I spelt Guillermo del Toro right on the first try!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

D_Smart posted:

A stroke

R u OK commando?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Star Citizen is like when you invite your scrawny goony friend and his really fat girlfriend over, and they drop the good news on you: they're expecting. And you're like "that's great!" and ask when the baby's due, and they're like "we're not sure, probably anytime now" and that raises your red flags, and so you inquire further while they talk about how they're setting up the baby room and baby clothes and how daycare prices are atrocious and the schools nearby and all that jazz, and you find she stopped having her period like 8 months ago and they've never gone for a prenatal. Because she doesn't believe in doctors, you see. So they're going to do a natural birth with a certified midwife, of course. "Oh" you reply, and you desperately want to drop the topic, but you really can't hold it in, so instead you point out a checkup would still be a good idea, which gets her upset, but your friend tries to smooth over the situation and eventually they kind of nod that yeah they'll make an appointment.

So a couple months pass and you're having a cup of coffee with your friend and you go "so how's the baby doing?" and he goes "oh, it's all good, it's taking its time". And alarms start blaring in the back of your head so you ask "I thought you said it was almost due" and he goes "we must've miscalculated the date" and you go "oh, so what did the doctor say, is it going to be a boy or a girl?" and you can see the emptiness behind his eyes as with an awkward smile he tells you how they still haven't gone for a prenatal checkup.

Then a month later you spot your friend online and you really haven't seen him around these past few weeks, so you go for some PUBG duos and you're having fun, right, and you casually drop "so how's the girlfriend?" and you regret it almost immediately. Of course, she's doing fine. Of course, she's still pregnant. Of course, they haven't gone to the doctor. And with a sinking feeling on your stomach you tell your friend that they really ought to go for a checkup because the "baby" could be having issues.

And he just flips out, that you should mind your own loving business, the baby is doing fine, okay? It's just taking its time, and they want the gender to be a surprise so they aren't doing an ultra-sound. So why don't you shut up about it?

But a couple days later he messages you through facebook, apologizing for yelling at you, that was uncalled for. And you say it's cool, you're just worried about him. And he says he understands, but everything is fine, really, and he starts linking you to all these 'medical' articles about how sometimes pregnancies last more than usual and it's all healthy and natural so you've got nothing to worry about.

And so you're staring at the chat window, in which your friend is telling you how his girlfriends 11 months "pregnancy" is fine and healthy, and his wall is filled with pictures of how they've arranged the baby's room with so many comments expressing congratulations and support, and you can just tell that if you suggest a doctor one more time you won't be friends anymore.

Don't doxx me, I quite like it in here thank you very much.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Potato Salad posted:

Don't doxx me, I quite like it in here thank you very much.

Call your parents and ask how to be one.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832959

There's a good 'before' and 'after' couple of pics of the worktops the CIG coffee machine sit on in your thread Bootcha. I remember we all had a minor discussion about the disgusting state of their worktops and couldn't work out if it was the worktop pattern or just really disgustingly filthy.

Good to have some closure on it tbh, turns out it is indeed disgustingly filthy in a 'breach of health and safety in the workplace' and 'high risk of biohazard' kind of way. :)

Before:

After :barf:

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 8, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So you're saying Chris Roberts is a goon???

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Coffee is for closers...and judging from your overheads, you're closing alright.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Furia posted:

Also again in a vacuum what would be stopping me from picking the "fastest" ship and duct taping a massive cargo cube in the back? Why would the ship itself need to be big?

Realistically, because of the pendulum effect — you want your thrust to be behind your mass, not in front of it or it will start flipping around in very inefficient ways. Also, to haul all that additional mass, you'd want a bigger ship to carry the (far larger) reaction mass and fuel that would be required to get the whole thing going and then stopping it again.

The main problem of moving around in space is that, unless you go into exotic and “free” propulsion systems such as light sails or Bussard ramjets, or just go for straight magic reactionless drives, every bit of cargo you want to bring will require many many times more propulsion mass (reaction mass to throw behind you + fuel to expel that mass), and that mass will then require even more of itself just to carry itself around. Diminishing returns hit you pretty much instantly as you try to go either faster or heavier.

Of course, if you're going to assume free energy, all of that goes out the window, but at that point, vacuum is no longer a factor either — it's all magic.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 8, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sabreseven posted:

Before:

The before pic was 10 seconds before Chris made a coffee, poo poo's hard when you got severe Wavy Hand Syndrome

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I always imagine the pudding scene from "Hot Shots" when I see that dumb pic.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Realistically, because of the pendulum effect — you want your thrust to be behind your mass, not in front of it or it will start flipping around in very inefficient ways. Also, to haul all that additional mass, you'd want a bigger ship to carry the (far larger) reaction mass and fuel that would be required to get the whole thing going and then stopping it again.

The main problem of moving around in space is that, unless you go into exotic and “free” propulsion systems such as light sails or Bussard ramjets, or just go for straight magic reactionless drives, every bit of cary you want to bring will require many many times more propulsion mass (reaction mass to throw behind you + fuel to expel that mass), and that mass will then require even more of itself just to carry itself around. Diminishing returns hit you pretty much instantly as you try to go either faster or heavier.

Of course, if you're going to assume free energy, all of that goes out the window, but at that point, vacuum is no longer a factor either — it's all magic.

I see

Ok fair enough then SC game of the year every year

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Furia posted:

I see

Ok fair enough then SC game of the year every year

Nah. That would be KSP.

First lesson of KSP is: to travel farther, you have to bring less fuel.
(Second lesson: to catch up, you have to go slower.)

Orbital and rocket mechanics are weird.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I always imagine the pudding scene from "Hot Shots" when I see that dumb pic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNXO0qdxJkg

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sabreseven posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832959

There's a good 'before' and 'after' couple of pics of the worktops the CIG coffee machine sit on in your thread Bootcha. I remember we all had a minor discussion about the disgusting state of their worktops and couldn't work out if it was the worktop pattern or just really disgustingly filthy.

Good to have some closure on it tbh, turns out it is indeed disgustingly filthy in a 'breach of health and safety in the workplace' and 'high risk of biohazard' kind of way. :)

Before:

What the gently caress :psyduck:

I guess they don't pay their barista enough to wipe down the counters

e: Do you have a source for the first picture? I'd like to know how long ago it was compared to the second

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

e: Do you have a source for the first picture? I'd like to know how long ago it was compared to the second

Annoyingly no, the 'clean' pic found it's way into the old thread during March of 2016 posted by AP ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=2889&perpage=40#post458227907 ) and the 'filthy' one was March 2017.

A year in the life of a CIG kitchen though, drat it's a hard life. :D

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sabreseven posted:

Annoyingly no, the 'clean' pic found it's way into the old thread during March of 2016 posted by AP ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=2889&perpage=40#post458227907 ) and the 'filthy' one was March 2017.

A year in the life of a CIG kitchen though, drat it's a hard life. :D

Well, I've seen backers insisting that the coffee machine was installed for free as a demo, and wanted some solid links so that the next time I hear that, I could show that it's an awfully long demo

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Nah. That would be KSP.

First lesson of KSP is: to travel farther, you have to bring less fuel.
(Second lesson: to catch up, you have to go slower.)

Third is look up the EVA keys before you let go of the ladder.

Foo Diddley posted:

I guess they don't pay their barista enough to wipe down the counters

To be fair concrete tops tend to gather stains fairly easily, especially if unsealed.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ShipsIllustr/status/917123912109932544

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Rad Russian posted:

Derek hates Evocati, therefore Evocati good now.

Derek - you should declare that Star Citizen is the best game of this generation and everyone needs to buy in for at least $2.5K and that you will be now stream SC 7 hours a day. All the broke-brains will immediately refund to spite you.

I swear those broken brained nutjobs are the reason that aliens come to Earth, grab a bunch of them - and go probing.

I wrote an entire loving blog on April 12, 2016 the minute they started the Evocati bullshit. But all of a sudden, he apparently "staked his position on it long before I did". Which is obviously pure bullshit.

loving clowns.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Derek's detractors have an obsession with Derek's genitalia, and Derek himself has an obsession with clowns, both foreign and domestic. What does this mean? It means a great deal if Derek has large feet.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180776940?t=01h56m01s

:gary:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I swear those broken brained nutjobs are the reason that aliens come to Earth, grab a bunch of them - and go probing.

Oh, okay, then.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

To be fair concrete tops tend to gather stains fairly easily, especially if unsealed.

And various failures are exposed. The counter top specified is more porous than the game. Lack of details.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9cuXUXVI2Y

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen 3.0: The more things change, the more they stay the same

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

McGiggins posted:

So when do the avocados get to talk about 3.0 and or when will the rest of you still faithful who have not refunded be able to play the third version of the pre-alpha that has not yet begun development?

What are you even talking about? elsewhere on the internet smarter minds than us state......

quote:

Dude, I'm serious! Let me back my statement up. This project currently simultaneously encompasses pre-Alpha (features yet to be properly designed and coded), Alpha (features need a good amount of polish), and Beta (features complete, but needs proper testing for release).

The amount of work they're putting into making this release is highly unusual. For the feature set they've implemented in 3.0, I'd say most have achieved Beta status. But there's a good chunk of the project still pre-Alpha or Alpha. It's actually kinda interesting to see it develop. I haven't seen anything like it, and I've been involved in a number of software projects.

CIG may call it Alpha, but they're dumbing it down for the sake of making it more comprehensible to people. The actual state is much fuzzier than what that simplistic label can indicate.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JohnnyBlue007/status/916373898517676032

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

christ

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

D_Smart posted:

I wrote an entire loving blog on April 12, 2016 the minute they started the Evocati bullshit. But all of a sudden, he apparently "staked his position on it long before I did". Which is obviously pure bullshit.

loving clowns.

Without the crazies it would just be another boring very poorly managed company, the nutters provide the entertainment.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Chris Roberts alt account spotted

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Beet Wagon posted:

Star Citizen 3.0: The more things change, the more they stay the same

Pretty good. I hope at some point The Boy Who Cried ELE got a run as thread title.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

:golfclap:

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Lol at anyone thinking that a player limit on an online game ever has anything to do with latency or the speed of light

Gee isn't it funny that nobody seems to be able to make a shooter game with more than about 100 people in the same region at once? I wonder why that could be

Hey what's O(n^2) mean anyway?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Ahh... all is right with the world.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

tak posted:

Hey what's O(n^2) mean anyway?

Big Lesnick notation.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Not yet, anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Danknificent posted:

Pretty good. I hope at some point The Boy Who Cried ELE got a run as thread title.