Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"You're supposed to find this imagery really off-putting" I say as the camera lovingly lingers upon two hot chicks undressing in sexual service to Ryan Gosling, who remains tasetfully clothed throughout. "Blade Runner is empowering because women can have babies, or something" another dude chimes in from the back, having totally figured out feminism and allayed all possible critiques of sexism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

because movies like those don't get written.

Yes they do. All the time.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

"You're supposed to find this imagery really off-putting" I say as the camera lovingly lingers upon two hot chicks undressing in sexual service to Ryan Gosling, who remains tasetfully clothed throughout. "Blade Runner is empowering because women can have babies, or something" another dude chimes in from the back, having totally figured out feminism and allayed all possible critiques of sexism.

That's not what I said at all. You're acting like you're intelligent enough to discuss this film, but you are not reading or responding to what I actually said.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'll have to see it over again to make sure but I got the feeling from the film that when it portrayed female subservience, the film was portraying the subservience in a bad light.

K goes through the movie surrounded by things that tickle the need for men to feel special, and he outgrows them eventually. I got the sense that what's really on trial here is the male insecurity and loneliness that leads men to buy a hologram girlfriend

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 8, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

"You're supposed to find this imagery really off-putting" I say as the camera lovingly lingers upon two hot chicks undressing in sexual service to Ryan Gosling, who remains tasetfully clothed throughout.
If you can't tell the difference between the lingering shots of the Joi that K loves and the towering Joi advertisement with zombie eyes I don't know what to say, other than that's not a problem with the film.

Also, heads up, the Joi/Mariette nudity in the scene you're complaining about was tasteful. The nudity in the scene with sex workers pressed against frosted glass in plain view of the street was not, which was kind of the point.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 8, 2017

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Ersatz posted:

I don't know what to say, other than that's not a problem with the film.

This seems to be a common theme in this thread.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Steve Yun posted:

I'll have to see it over again to make sure but I got the feeling from the film that when it portrayed female subservience, the film was portraying the subservience in a bad light.

K goes through the movie surrounded by things that tickle the need for men to feel special, and he outgrows them eventually. I got the sense that what's really on trial here is the male insecurity and loneliness that leads men to buy a hologram girlfriend

Why waste time designing a Blade Runner with annoying things like urges and needs. He's suppose to be a dective and killing machine. Dames have always been the down fall of gum shoes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A.I. was one of those films that I absolutely could not force from my head and I think this will be too. I'm really starting to think this was more of a visual and thematic follow up to A.I. than it was to the original Blade Runner. Some of the imagery is super Kubrickian too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There's a lot of Pinocchio imagery as well as I think other posters pointed out

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Anybody familiar with Nabokov know the significance with Pale Fire?

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Just saw the movie. Anybody else think that the scene with the trash hover-barges was a reference to Soldier?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I prefer to believe JOI's love for K was real because it's more interesting to me that it was. Although it's obviously meant to be vague.

It felt real to K. Prob as real as replicants feel like humans.

Timespy posted:

Just saw the movie. Anybody else think that the scene with the trash hover-barges was a reference to Soldier?

The world building perfectly lines up with solider.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Timespy posted:

Had the same thought. We're there any Alien tie ins as well?

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Acer Pilot posted:

Someone said earlier that the ship Joi sees by the seawall looked like the Sulaco. Didn't look like it to me but maybe I just haven't seen Aliens in a while.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat

Pedro De Heredia posted:

A good explanation.

Thank you. I missed the part where she said that implanting real memories is illegal. I was under the impression that it wasn't, since Rachel was the latest and greatest Tyrell model with experimental memory implants, I assumed that memory implants had become a standard thing in newer replicants like K.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is the new 4k Blu-ray remaster just out of stock everywhere because everyone (including me) decided they want a copy?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Acer Pilot posted:

If it ties in to Solider, it ties into everything. Solider is like the tofu of sci fi movies.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The version of feminism that wraps around to essentially puritanism is gross.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Anybody familiar with Nabokov know the significance with Pale Fire?

Pale Fire is a book about a 999-line poem, written by a fictional, recently deceased poet, with extensive commentary by one of his friends and collaborators. The friend's commentary starts off detached and academic but becomes increasingly deranged and disjointed as the book progresses. Eventually, the commentary consumes the original poem and the "friend" is revealed to be a narcissistic lunatic who believes that he is an exiled king and the inspiration of the poem itself. The friend is obsessed by what he thinks is a missing final line in the poem, telling the reader that it should be 1,000 lines long and not 999. (The poem's format suggests that this should be the case. The final line breaks off abruptly.)

At the heart of Pale Fire is a poem, also titled Pale Fire, that tells the story of the poet's life. The poet is a successful and celebrated writer who married his childhood sweetheart and had a daughter who he loved more than anything. At some point before the poem was written, the poet's daughter, Hazel, committed suicide by drowning herself. This fact utterly consumes him and leaves his old self nothing more than “a smudge of ashen fluff.” He is dead without dying, living through a world that is both real and unreal.

Some time after his Hazel's death, the poet has his own near-death experience when he collapses in the middle of a lecture. While half-dead, he sees:

A system of cells interlinked within
Cells interlinked within cells interlinked
Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

He becomes obsessed with the image of a "tall white fountain" and believes that he has seen proof of life after death. He does extensive investigative work and connects with a woman who told a magazine reporter that she also saw a "tall white fountain" after a near-death experience. He tracks down the woman, expecting some kind of transcendent experience but the woman turns out to be a disappointment. The poet connects with the journalist who wrote the story, who reveals that there was a misprint. The woman saw a "tall white mountain" and not a "fountain." There was never any deep connection proving the existence of souls and the afterlife. There is no proof that he will ever reunite with his daughter. It was all just a coincidence.

Instead of collapsing into despair, the discovery galvanizes him. He recognizes that humanity is just a plaything of the gods and that it is better to keep some things hidden. There are things he can know ("I'm reasonably sure that we survive / And that my darling somewhere is alive") without ever having proof of them. He ends the poem rejecting the grand artifices that he once relied on and aspires to accept the quiet continuities of life ("Some neighbor's gardener, I guess--goes by").

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 9, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

exquisite tea posted:

Ryan gosling being clothed isnt tasteful

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BumbleChump posted:

Thank you. I missed the part where she said that implanting real memories is illegal. I was under the impression that it wasn't, since Rachel was the latest and greatest Tyrell model with experimental memory implants, I assumed that memory implants had become a standard thing in newer replicants like K.

I thought what was said was implanting memories into a human was illegal. K already acknowledges that he has memory implants when he even brings up the story, it's just that he's in his "I'm a real boy" phase of the deception. It's what why he thinks he's Rachael's son from that point on.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Young Freud posted:

I thought what was said was implanting memories into a human was illegal. K already acknowledges that he has memory implants when he even brings up the story, it's just that he's in his "I'm a real boy" phase of the deception. It's what why he thinks he's Rachael's son from that point on.

The law is you can't implant real memories. They have to be constructed, like you see her doing.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Thundercracker posted:

One thing I actually wish they addressed was: Why pay a replicant a salary? Enough to rent a reasonably nice studio when actual humans are homeless in the same bulding.

That sorta defeats the point of slavery.

Look at those negro slaves with their free lodging, clothing and scrap to to eat.

I mean poo poo, K doesn't even get work-mans comp for injuries on the job.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

Pale Fire is a book about a 999-line poem, written by a fictional, recently deceased poet, with extensive commentary by one of his friends and collaborators. The friend's commentary starts off detached and academic but becomes increasingly deranged and disjointed as the book progresses. Eventually, the commentary consumes the original poem and the "friend" is revealed to be a narcissistic lunatic who believes that he is an exiled king and the inspiration of the poem itself. The friend is obsessed by what he thinks is a missing final line in the poem, telling the reader that it should be 1,000 lines long and not 999. (The poem's format suggests that this should be the case. The final line breaks off abruptly.)

At the heart of Pale Fire is a poem, also titled Pale Fire, that tells the story of the poet's life. The poet is a successful and celebrated writer who married his childhood sweetheart and had a daughter who he loved more than anything. At some point before the poem was written, the poet's daughter, Hazel, committed suicide by drowning herself. This fact utterly consumes him and leaves his old self nothing more than “a smudge of ashen fluff.” He is dead without dying, living through a world that is both real and unreal.

Some time after his Hazel's death, the poet has his own near-death experience when he collapses in the middle of a lecture. While half-dead, he sees:

A system of cells interlinked within
Cells interlinked within cells interlinked
Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

He becomes obsessed with the image of a "tall white fountain" and believes that he has seen proof of life after death. He does extensive investigative work and connects with a woman who told a magazine reporter that she also saw a "tall white fountain" after a near-death experience. He tracks down the woman, expecting some kind of transcendent experience but the woman turns out to be a disappointment. The poet connects with the journalist who wrote the story, who reveals that there was a misprint. The woman saw a "tall white mountain" and not a "fountain." There was never any deep connection proving the existence of souls and the afterlife. There is no proof that he will ever reunite with his daughter. It was all just a coincidence.

Instead of collapsing into despair, the discovery galvanizes him. He recognizes that humanity is just a plaything of the gods and that it is better to keep some things hidden. There are things he can know ("I'm reasonably sure that we survive / And that my darling somewhere is alive") without ever having proof of them. He ends the poem rejecting the grand artifices that he once relied on and aspires to accept the quiet continuities of life ("Some neighbor's gardener, I guess--goes by").

This loving movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Ersatz posted:

If you can't tell the difference between the lingering shots of the Joi that K loves and the towering Joi advertisement with zombie eyes I don't know what to say, other than that's not a problem with the film.

Also, heads up, the Joi/Mariette nudity in the scene you're complaining about was tasteful. The nudity in the scene with sex workers pressed against frosted glass in plain view of the street was not, which was kind of the point.

I understand where they're coming from, compared to the original Blade Runner this movie had way more shots where 100% of the shot's point was "make sure we can linger on this hot woman's rear end." Compare to when Deckard is chatting with Zhora in the original.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Pris also uses her sex appeal as a weapon

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Neo Rasa posted:

I understand where they're coming from, compared to the original Blade Runner this movie had way more shots where 100% of the shot's point was "make sure we can linger on this hot woman's rear end." Compare to when Deckard is chatting with Zhora in the original.

I might be horribly mis-remembering but the only rear end shots I can think of were just before the woman was gutted and the giant JOI.

The first one was about as far from sexualised as you can get and the second was a grotesque parody of sexualisation.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Steve2911 posted:

I might be horribly mis-remembering

I believe you are in this case.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

I don't think it's vague when he's standing in front of a literal huge advertisement that's flashing the phrases "EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO HEAR AND SEE" in front of him.

You mean the advertisement that acts very differently from the Joi we know, with a voiceover discussing miracles played over it?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So I've had a couple days to ruminate on it, and I've decided that I think Blade Runner 2 was good. It was a good movie.

But was it better than Blade Runner 1? I'm going to say, "no". However, it was very good. Close, even.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Frankston posted:

Good movie that I enjoyed, though I did find myself looking at my watch a few times in the final third.

I counted 5 people in my area that looked at their cell phones to look at the time. I definitely looked at my watch a few times.

I am glad I watched this in theater because if I was watching this on Netflix, I probably would have turned it off and read the plot on Wikipedia to decide to finish it or not.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timespy posted:

Someone said earlier that the ship Joi sees by the seawall looked like the Sulaco. Didn't look like it to me but maybe I just haven't seen Aliens in a while.
I've seen that mentioned elsewhere, but I definitely didn't catch that at all on my viewing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

I've seen that mentioned elsewhere, but I definitely didn't catch that at all on my viewing.

I did, I'm pretty sure it is the Sulaco because I recall saying "Hey, that looks like the Halo Assault Rifle."

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Great post.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Young Freud posted:

This loving movie.

In addition to the obvious parallels (the wooden horse as K's "tall white fountain"), there's probably an argument to be made that Wallace is similar to the "friend," Charles Kinbote, from the book. Both characters are responsible for bringing beauty into the world (the commentator by publishing the poem and Wallace by recreating the replicants), but both are blind (get it?) to its meaning and purpose. They lack the vision of the original creators and, instead, try to warp and manipulate the source material in ways that fuel their own narcissism and megalomania. Kinbote sees a poem about loss as a way for him to reclaim his (imaginary) lost throne while Wallace sees replicants as a tool for humanity to conquer the stars.

Their lust for power almost destroys the beautiful and delicate things that they control.

The parallel works better if you see Luv as a vessel for Wallace’s will.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 9, 2017

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Blade Runner 2049 fails the Bechdel test

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm calling this one a capital G Great movie. It's lingered with me since I saw it and I hope to see it again next weekend. More than anything, K's "baseline" tests linger with me as individual moments. The first one I now recognize as at least portions from Nabokov's Pale Fire, thanks to QuoProQuid, but it all passed by so quickly and I was so carried away by it that I can't remember the contents of either fully.

Which, I realize, is the point. Compare the Voight-Kampff test to this. V-K is a test of emotional maturity, abstraction and empathy. It asks the taker to place themselves in situations they would never be as people they aren't, taking actions they wouldn't. Replicants are weeded out because they don't have the understanding of themselves or the lives of others to do this. The baseline instead tests the ability to suppress and control emotions. Almost anyone would get carried away with the emotional significance of the barrage of questions ("What's it like to hold the hand of someone you love? Fingers interlinked." "Interlinked.") and fail to follow the simple instruction embedded within, much like K after his experience revisiting the farm. Rather than being a test that no replicant could pass, it's a test only a replicant could pass.

I can't wait for this to come out so I can study a few scenes I really want to take a long, hard look at.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Linguica posted:

Blade Runner 2049 fails the Bechdel test

Nah, prostitute chick and Joi have an exchange where they rip at each other. K doesn't come up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I loved this movie. The more I think about it the more I like it. Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies of all time and I was super worried this would not be a faithful sequel. I'm glad I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I don't want to get into discussing the film before I read the thread, but my initial impression is that it was a truly great film and easily one of the greatest sequel films.

I saw it at the Alamo, and I don't know if this was done at all their theatres, but they programmed some great previews during seating: the 1933 short cartoon "Technoracket" and commercials for robot toys from the 60s and 70s, namely "Mr. Machine" and "The Ding-A-Lings." The second one was actually a little chilling in context; the robot toys were mostly blue collar jobs (firefighter, construction worker, etc.) being controlled by a central Brain Robot, as the narrator proclaims them "the worker of the future!"

• Locked thread